Beware out there folks - not nice 'present' on returning home today (24 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
pretty unsocial of the residents of that small village not wanting themselves or the kids run over...
I'm in favour when there is actually pedestrian traffic, but this is so typical of a Mid-Wales one horse village - usually deserted with nobody there to be run over. All the extra limit does in these cases is cause confusion, especially 3 different limit changes in such a small distance.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its not what is painted on the road (thats optional and could be wrong) it is the sign and if the sign is covered that in itself would be presentable as reasonable 'defence' as signage has to be clearly viewable, painted road signage is optional and its not a red circle but normally just advisory white paint (not a sign giving an order) !

Download for signage is here

View attachment 957818
So no red ringed sign but with street lights, its in Wales (I think) so its 20mph? but 40mph painted on the road and thats what the traffic was doing. It would be an interesting case if it got to court.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
So no red ringed sign but with street lights, its in Wales (I think) so its 20mph? but 40mph painted on the road and thats what the traffic was doing. It would be an interesting case if it got to court.
Have a look at the highway Code, it's the signage that is important, now it could be argued that the white paint on the road is confusing but that is a council issue....it's the sign that has a red circle and the number is the one you have to obey. If the sign is obscured again you have a case to submit on an appeal, Also if its a 20MPH Zone you may only be told once there will be no repeater signs ignore the ones on the road they are placed there by the council which may or may not be erased when the speed limit changes.

This is another reason why everyone should have a refresher driving course every 5 years

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I’m not a fan of Mark Drakeford but I think you will find our first minister is now Eluned Morgan who took over when Vaughan Gething was ousted . Drakeford hasn’t been in power since he resigned last December.
Drakeford is now health minister.
How's that Devo going? Musical chairs in the Senedd :rolleyes:

Come on you Welshies, you don't have to vote either Labour, Plaid Cymru or Tory. Other parties are available, go on, be adventurous for once. :reel:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Have a look at the highway Code, it's the signage that is important, now it could be argued that the white paint on the road is confusing but that is a council issue....it's the sign that has a red circle and the number is the one you have to obey. If the sign is obscured again you have a case to submit on an appeal, Also if its a 20MPH Zone you may only be told once there will be no repeater signs ignore the ones on the road they are placed there by the council which may or may not be erased when the speed limit changes.
No red ringed sign, at all. Posts without signs on tops at start.

I agree with you about refresher courses, for every licensed driver and for all classes, but don't see how that relates to missing signs or uncut hedges obscuring signs that are there.

Nov 15, 2023
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Globecar
Exp
Since 2019
This... would have been while navigating a horrible and busy forced diversion through the town at the alleged time. 🙄

So lovely of them!

View attachment 957189
I’m going to stick my oar in here and stir the hornets nest; but I’m all for it.

Some of us with good memories might recall the road safety adds on TV, one of which stated, with a broad brush, that if you hit a pedestrian at 40, there will be an 80% chance of killing him, but at 30 there will be an 80% chance of them surviving. At 20, all you’ll do is knock them over and at 20 you’ll probably stop in time anyway.

I’ve watched people die after excess speed, I really do not want that on my watch while I’m driving. And some pedestrians, oldies, people in a hurry, kids, bloody cyclists, anyone on a mobile phone, simply do not look; it’s up to us to look after them, we’ve got to be their eyes and ears, after all we’re driving the thing that’s going to kill them.
It maybe true that it’s their own fault (common sense is not that common) but the penalty is far greater than taking an extra 5 mins to get through town. Knowing you’ve hurt someone or even just frightened them is awful, the delay, paperwork and summons is a nightmare, the grief you cause, and being a pariah for the rest of your life, even to oneself, is unfathomable. So if travelling at 20mph for a few hundred yards is the premium paid for my peace of mind, it’s well worth it.
As to those who believe it wouldn’t happen to then – they’re too good a driver; I wouldn’t think anyone who hit somebody thought they would.

In a 20mph area it’s probably pretty rare you’d reach 30 anyway.

The problem comes with the application, decision makers will err on the side of caution, but it’s up to us to keep our eyes open – and it’s difficult in an unfamiliar area. The answer is to slow down, and sod those behind you, it’s better than an unwelcome letter through the front door or a dent in the bonnet.
No matter how daft 20 may be, it is the law, let’s get over it and keep penalty point off our licenses.

My Google maps has just started to show my speed next to the speed limit icon, does anybody know if there is a way of getting it to ‘ding’ if I exceed the limit?

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I’m going to stick my oar in here and stir the hornets nest; but I’m all for it.

Some of us with good memories might recall the road safety adds on TV, one of which stated, with a broad brush, that if you hit a pedestrian at 40, there will be an 80% chance of killing him, but at 30 there will be an 80% chance of them surviving. At 20, all you’ll do is knock them over and at 20 you’ll probably stop in time anyway.

I’ve watched people die after excess speed, I really do not want that on my watch while I’m driving. And some pedestrians, oldies, people in a hurry, kids, bloody cyclists, anyone on a mobile phone, simply do not look; it’s up to us to look after them, we’ve got to be their eyes and ears, after all we’re driving the thing that’s going to kill them.
It maybe true that it’s their own fault (common sense is not that common) but the penalty is far greater than taking an extra 5 mins to get through town. Knowing you’ve hurt someone or even just frightened them is awful, the delay, paperwork and summons is a nightmare, the grief you cause, and being a pariah for the rest of your life, even to oneself, is unfathomable. So if travelling at 20mph for a few hundred yards is the premium paid for my peace of mind, it’s well worth it.
As to those who believe it wouldn’t happen to then – they’re too good a driver; I wouldn’t think anyone who hit somebody thought they would.

The problem comes with the application, decision makers will err on the side of caution, but it’s up to us to keep our eyes open – and it’s difficult in an unfamiliar area. The answer is to slow down, and sod those behind you, it’s better than an unwelcome letter through the front door or a dent in the bonnet.
No matter how daft 20 may be, it is the law, let’s get over it and keep penalty point off our licenses.

My Google maps has just started to show my speed next to the speed limit icon, does anybody know if there is a way of getting it to ‘ding’ if I exceed the limit?
Lots of common sense here . Will it ever catch on?
Puzzled by those who state the speed limit causes congestion . No you are just moving along at 20 not 30 !

Apr 11, 2021
Forest of Dean, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
2 years
This may be controversial, but as a North Walian and one initially opposed to the blanket 20mph limit, after 12 months I fully support the continued implementation of the limit.
You don't get queues of cars waiting to pull out into the flow if traffic, it definitely feels so much safer for all road users.
Pedestrians have far easier time to cross the road.
Now we are used to it, travelling in England in built up areas at 30mph seems far too fast. Also noticed an increasing amount of 20 limits now appearing in England.
Just my opinion, don't need a fight or any scathing reaction....happy travels, stay safe!

[/QU
OTE]

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

It used to be commonplace that 20 mph limits outside schools were in force when there were flashing lights. That was reasonable. 20 mph limits 24/7 are a sledgehammer solution to a problem that is insignificant most of the time.

There's a couple of main roads that I drive along regularly, in the evening, to get to social events. Blanket 20mph limit 24/7. Regardless of road traffic conditions.

With the exception of one stretch that goes past a Hospital entrance there is no acceptable reason at all why these roads should be blanket 20 mph. Pedestrians are few and far between after 8 pm. More likely to see an urban fox than a pedestrian.

I've seen the odd cyclist but they are likewise rare. At a slight tangent: Hey, Cyclists - it might help the cause of road safety if you actually use lights. Some don't, becoming invisible, so they are turning themselves into a hazard, regardless of speed limits. Limits that cyclists tend to believe don't apply to them and can be ignored. See also red traffic lights and give way signs, pedestrian crossings etc.

Another way to put this into perspective -

In 2023, 405 pedestrians were killed on GB roads (government figure). Pre-election claims by Labour were that 3,800 excess winter deaths would result if the Tories were to cut the WFA. So, which is more important?

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
As has been said above the reduction in insurance claims and injured people has clearly been demonstrated by official data, that reducing the speed has permitted drivers time to drive safely in these zones.
As motorhomes are heavier vehicles they usually need more distance to stop/avoid an "accident".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!

Having been accident free for 46 years including driving almost 10k miles every month for 12 years in a lorry and having had only 1 speeding ticket 34 in a 30 accelerating up hill, I have no objection to 20mph zones if a degree of common sense is used where they place them. The question for me is, If I can drive safely, why can't others do likewise? I've always believed that every single thing we do in life has consequences, which is a very interesting concept if you think about it. The problem is that there are so many 'entitled' people who think they can do whatever they want without having any consequences. Driving used to give me so much pleasure but that's no longer the case. It was very rarely stressful, even driving my lorry through Glasgow or Edinburgh in rush hour was never a problem. These days so many people drive in an unpredictable manner you have to expect the unexpected! Sadly there are many pedestrians and cyclists who have the same mindset. I think if the Welsh government had spent more time thinking about how and where they were going to place these 20mph limits, instead of a blanket removal of 1,734 miles of 30mph roads, they would have saved themselves and us a lot of time, money, frustration and bad feelings and possibly the next election!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That's a bit demeaning: the "unfortunate Welsh people" you refer to voted for those "rulers"
I think you will find that the turnout for Senedd election is always quite small, (many more Welsh people vote in the UK GE's). In the 2021 election labour won the Senedd with less than 500k votes, Drakeford himself only got 17k. Ive yet to find a Welsh person who didnt moan about him.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If just 10% of motorists carried battery operated heavy duty 8'' angle grinders ,, there would be no fixed cameras in a couple of months ...
Or just a dunk with the bullbar or towbar means the unit is now out of its calibration.
pretty unsocial of the residents of that small village not wanting themselves or the kids run over...
always fascinated me why people walk along roads without pavements ?
; it’s up to us to look after them,
No it isn't.It is just continuing the 'trend' of letting others look out for you. Encouraging a nanny state. Take responsibility for yourself!!
If they are too stupid to think that wearing head phones, talking on the phone , texting ,stepping out on a road without looking, wearing dark clothing at night ,cycling in same clothing or without lights,or wrong way in a one way street .etc;etc they are going to be injured at best.& yes I'll be claiming off the muppet for the damage as well.
I think you will find that the turnout for Senedd election is always quite small, (many more Welsh people vote in the UK GE's). In the 2021 election labour won the Senedd with less than 500k votes, Drakeford himself only got 17k. Ive yet to find a Welsh person who didnt moan about him.
& the reason why compulsory voting needs to be brought in so that idle ,wasting useless ,scum like most political animals are can be put out in the real world of finding themselves a job to do

As someone mentioned here in Spain we have 20 km per hour limits. normally around schools. That is 12,5 mph. To actually lose points you have to be doing nearly 26mph ; under that it is just a fine & also reduced to 50% if paid with the prescribed period.( used to be for residents only but EU law made that illegal:rolleyes:).
Here are the speed limits & fines & points loss in spain.

https://carinsurancespain.es/speeding-fines-in-spain/

You also have to remember that originally in 2007 introduction points were lost over any limit immediately .In 2010 Gov.es followed recommendations from Trafico (Guardia Civile) , changed it all to as shown with no points deductions just fines up to the prescribed amount.
& why many cruise on the autovia at just under 150kph in the 120Kph limit. only 50€ if caught with discount.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back