Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
So are the other places on the don't visit list, the ignorance of some people is unbelievable. I wouldn't mind if they lived in some cultural hotspot but they don't , tbh most live in cultural deserts. Corn beef towns with an average age of 80. Unbelievable, nandos is their limit. Dreaming about the glory days they never had.
New Forest I believe. Went there for a couple of camping holidays. Never been so bored.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
So are the other places on the don't visit list, the ignorance of some people is unbelievable. I wouldn't mind if they lived in some cultural hotspot but they don't , tbh most live in cultural deserts. Corn beef towns with an average age of 80. Unbelievable, nandos is their limit. Dreaming about the glory days they never had.
My average age is 80 :rolleyes:

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I am from Leeds originally but worked in Bradford in the 90s for 10 years. Live on the Isle of Man now. I used to think bradders was not too bad but when we go back now (family) I am shocked how bad it's become. Nothing to do with immigration, it's the indigenous white population that is bad. Doesn't feel safe anymore.

Last time we went round the ring road we saw 2 car chases.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Additionally, be very careful driving down the Otley road towards Craigs Honda or Speciality covers and turning into Dockside road as that is effectively a massive dead end. The problem comes as you try to get back on the Otley Road as you cannot turn right but are obliged to turn left straight into the clean air zone, it is a trap !!

I will be fighting it as we got trapped

I wish you well with that, it’s exactly what we would have done, unless there are earlier warning signs that you missed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Government's bleed the motorist dry while we are left swerving around potholed third world roads. If Sunak was to announce a major immediate start on road repairs he would get plenty of votes.
Didn't he announce that a couple of weeks ago IF they get back in office?
Or was it the other lot, hard to tell apart these days! 😢

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
New Forest I believe. Went there for a couple of camping holidays. Never been so bored.
Yes , i think you got to be local to appreciate the new forest , otherwise you get sucked into the overcrowded areas with the additional of the horrendous traffic they bring .

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Government's bleed the motorist dry while we are left swerving around potholed third world roads. If Sunak was to announce a major immediate start on road repairs he would get plenty of votes.
Well he is going to have to think of something to do with the 100,000 eighteen year olds he is going to be conscripting every year.
Military filling potholes might win him a few seats in the seaside towns where the average age is the wrong side of 50.

It would of course lose him any votes by the under 21's and probably most of their parents as well.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I think I’ll get a set of duff number plates and put some Velcro on them for such occasions 😜

No velcro required, London has many in use, you can see them in the bus lanes all day

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Same applies to:
  • Bath
  • Bradford
  • Birmingham
  • Bristol
  • London
  • Glasgow
  • Manchester
  • Newcastle/Gateshead
  • Portsmouth
  • Sheffield
With the current zones to get larger and more stringent, and more cities to follow soon.

Basically unless your motorhome is Euro 6 (2014'ish onwards) you will progressively be 'tolled' at a higher and higher amount in more and more places.
(Same applies to mainland cities Europe wide map here)

What I don't understand why a 2013/Euro 5 motorhome is selling for almost the same price as a 2014/Euro 6 motorhome.
In my book the Euro 5 vehicle should be a least a third cheaper, if not more.
That worried me, seeing Portsmouth on the list as I'm going there on Wednesday. A check found there would be no charge anyway for my 3.5t PVC and Adams Morey, where I'm heading is just outside the zone. Those with older/heavier vehicles may need to be careful not to over-shoot the turn off for AM. :)

Feb 20, 2023
South Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago E line 50 D
Exp
If you drive through Bradford with minibus or a van you are charged £7.00 for their clean air zone, drive through with a motorhome and you are charged £50.
I got clobbered in our old motorhome, going up to the dales. Not knowing what the charge was and how it was administered, I had to pay an additional £60 ontop of the £50!!, tried to challenge it but to no avail. Now I go around A1/A59 which is a good few miles more. So much for saving the planet.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I would say that in your list it is only Bath and Manchester that are not total dumps and to be avoided at all cost in anycase!!

Thanks, honestly thanks, for having Newcastle as a "to be avoided" City. Can you also extend that to the whole of Northumberland and Durham. Makes life much easier for us.

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Seasoned
Lincolnshire likewise. Please avoid for your own safety. Prowled at night by Black Shuck, the Lincoln Imp takes his pleasures in your misfortune and the natives are cannibals. Don't forget also that it is like a billiard table and the local delicacy is boiled mangolds.

'Tis true it is.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Don't you just love a 2014 non adblue 4.2ton motorhome

1000052740.jpg

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Burnham saw the chance to make money, when there was a massive uproar he quickly blamed the government, not my fault they wanted it I didn’t want it from the start, total and utter lying barsteward, now looking for another way of doing it.

And his wife was in charge of the French company that was contracted to collect the fees. Very convenient don’t you think.
Andy (aren’t I great) also came up with a great idea of FREE BUS PASSES FOR 16-18yr olds in the Greater Manchester area that is paid for by all the Council tax payers in the county. HOW THE FK IS THAT FREE ANDY YOU MUPPET.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
And his wife was in charge of the French company that was contracted to collect the fees. Very convenient don’t you think.
Andy (aren’t I great) also came up with a great idea of FREE BUS PASSES FOR 16-18yr olds in the Greater Manchester area that is paid for by all the Council tax payers in the county. HOW THE FK IS THAT FREE ANDY YOU MUPPET.
Muppet is a good description, never does a thing wrong as it’s always somebody else’s fault, failed at everything he has done, but a typical politician, a good talker and always slopes the blame onto somebody else.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
All the other schemes are city centres and a few square miles.
London isn't. More or less the whole inside of m25.
All the uk is shite.not just parts of it. Most towns now also have 'Muslim armies' 5k + waiting and ready for the call to Arms.
I don't wish to live in a cultural anything just travel on roads like aircraft runways at the maximumdpeed. Not like the 100 plus miles today on A12,A127,M25,M3, restricted to 50mph for "roadworks" with 3 or 4 fully open lanes, all work on verge or hard shoulder and all protected by steel barriers ,not a sole working,so why is if not 70? Then add on the thick as shite half wits who cannot maintain 50mph constantly.
If the money grabbing t**t had kept it inside the M60 he just might have got away with it but no, Bolton, Leigh, Rochdale, Todmorden yadda yadda yadda. Nearly the whole of Greater Manchester
If he had done the same as the5thcolumnidt trajan horse in London and restricted info solely through TFL and the vote also,he might have hot away with it like the mecca holiday maker. Getting ulez in affecting9million with only 37,500 in total voting.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Muppet is a good description, never does a thing wrong as it’s always somebody else’s fault, failed at everything he has done, but a typical politician, a good talker and always slopes the blame onto somebody else.

His latest dopy thing has been to buy loads of 10, 12 & 15 yr old busses and paint them all yellow so everyone would think they’re NEW.
Remember, these are all in service in all the areas he was trying to turn into a Clean Air Zone. WTF ANDY goes on in your head.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Er, pensioner bus passes?

Getting a young demographic used to using public transport is probably a really smart idea. It might mean they're less likely to rely on a car later. Car transport costs way more to society than it generates in tax.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I would say that in your list it is only Bath and Manchester that are not total dumps and to be avoided at all cost in anycase!!

Whats that phrase - only boring peoole get bored. I feel a similar sentiment could be applied to this comment.

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
That must be because you need to be provided with entertainment, I can think of no other reason.

The huge ques on the M3 and M27 coming into the Forest even in the winter tell a completely different story of course.

Dec 21, 2014
Littleborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
2015 for a year then a break. Now a newbie again!
Yes , i think you got to be local to appreciate the new forest , otherwise you get sucked into the overcrowded areas with the additional of the horrendous traffic they bring .
I once stalled a horse in the New Forest. It just stopped the middle of the road in and whatever I tried, it wouldn't move till it had had a huge dump in the road. Cars piled up each way, initially ratty, then amused at my lack of horsemanship. I have never set foot on a horse since. But I have been to Bradford and had some terrific curry.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I once stalled a horse in the New Forest. It just stopped the middle of the road in and whatever I tried, it wouldn't move till it had had a huge dump in the road. Cars piled up each way, initially ratty, then amused at my lack of horsemanship. I have never set foot on a horse since. But I have been to Bradford and had some terrific curry.
You might have had horse there too!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back