Am I the only person who thinks it is crazy to........

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I saw a very expensive VW conversion, looked really tidy…..small but tidy.

Showed my wife and she was happy with it until the port-a-potty was taken from it’s storage cupboard…….under the oven.🤮

I’m not having a go at small vans, but that close to your cooking area?
A separate sneaky toilet bucket can be stored anywhere:giggle:(y)

Gina.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Possibly ...but I found that in countries with few dump points ..like Greece etc having 2 cassettes just doubled the trouble. I can go forever without needing a dump point if I don't use it. Besides nearly every park up I've been on here in Ireland has portable public toilets on them .this spot has 3 right outside my door
Greece was a bit of a challenge but we managed.

Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Yet another thread where people appear to wish their lifestyle choices and beliefs on other people. If they’re happy and content, leave people be.
We didn’t like the layout……that’s all, Not knocking anyone’s lifestyle. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Why would there be splashes? If a portaloo was being used by us hubby would sit on it, rather than pee over it. As for touching stuff, hand washing would be required once the loo had been used, however unless you are meticulous at washing/cleaning your hands every single time you touch anything outwith your camper then you'll also 'contaminate' it with stuff. Life is not free of germs etc and they can help to improve your immune system, many kids who were overly protected by parents due to their use of anti-bacterial stuff suffer more with minor illnesses that others who weren't kept in a 'sanitized' bubble don't. Do you have an extreme 'germ' aversion?
Many women often comment about men and splashing so it sounds like you have a well trained husband. If you visit a gents loo they tend to stink of miss aimed pee despite a large target area. Stuff also goes over shoes and then you will see people just leave without washing hands. So one can only imagine personal hygiene within their own homes. These comments are not judgmental just observations. Now take those practices in to the confined space of a Transporter you may start to see where I’m coming from. A toilet tent outside the camper would be a good start. Am I germ adverse nope do I consider as you clearly do good hygiene practises yes I do.

Having been the victim of poor hygiene practice in a cafe in America I can tell you I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. So for those who may think it’s ok not to wash hands please do.

And don’t forget the aerosol effect of sewerage a friend landed up in hospital with a blood transfusion mearly visiting Holmepeiont Nottingham when the Trent had a red quality rating.

So in my personal view a porta loo in a small van such as a transporter in the middle of the floor by food cooking etc is a poor idea.

Westafailia have a small ford van with a loo at the back that is just about acceptable in my view. But each to thier own.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
............Have a camper van with no lavatory?
I look at advert after advert and vans have been converted well with copious cupboards, settees, kitchens and in some cases even a shower but no lavatory.
What is the point? Am I missing something?
Safe travelling
Paul
Totally agree, any camper advertised as they are to give you freedom from campsites, is obviously not fit for purpose !!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Totally agree, any camper advertised as they are to give you freedom from campsites, is obviously not fit for purpose !!
I suppose it depends how you are going to use it if you are going to stay on sites all the time and want something small to go out for the day in I can see the attraction. It's just not what I want!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I suppose it depends how you are going to use it if you are going to stay on sites all the time and want something small to go out for the day in I can see the attraction. It's just not what I want!
Tents tend not to have a toilet in them it’s Camping and I guess a Camper van is the same category. Both can be used for ‘wild camping’ but consideration does have to be given to environmental needs.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Possibly ...but I found that in countries with few dump points ..like Greece etc having 2 cassettes just doubled the trouble. I can go forever without needing a dump point if I don't use it. Besides nearly every park up I've been on here in Ireland has portable public toilets on them .this spot has 3 right outside my door
They are out there in Greece, but when you do find one it can bring other challenges. :giggle:

IMG_6135.JPG

Pete

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
d hate to be the person who had to empty the local waste receptacle.
Many areas ask you to use the waste bins for dog bags,so can't really see the difference?
toilet or in some cases just a shower room with a porta potty they can lift in and out .
I built mine with a shower ,sink and a portable as I couldn't see the point of cutting great holes on side of van for a 17l toilet when I can have a 40l one,?
if you don't put paper in it.
Same as at home paper goes in separate plastic bag disposed of regularly.
m not squeamish, buy directly below your oven no more than a cupboard divider between them?
Multitasking

Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Replace the microwave with an oven and the layout was similar to this……..not being critical of others lifestyle or how they chose to live……don’t like the idea of where they’ve put the toilet cassette. 🤷‍♂️

DA40C765-4418-4314-AEFA-BC42F00C1E14.png

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Many women often comment about men and splashing so it sounds like you have a well trained husband. If you visit a gents loo they tend to stink of miss aimed pee despite a large target area. Stuff also goes over shoes and then you will see people just leave without washing hands. So one can only imagine personal hygiene within their own homes. These comments are not judgmental just observations. Now take those practices in to the confined space of a Transporter you may start to see where I’m coming from. A toilet tent outside the camper would be a good start. Am I germ adverse nope do I consider as you clearly do good hygiene practises yes I do.

Having been the victim of poor hygiene practice in a cafe in America I can tell you I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. So for those who may think it’s ok not to wash hands please do.

And don’t forget the aerosol effect of sewerage a friend landed up in hospital with a blood transfusion mearly visiting Holmepeiont Nottingham when the Trent had a red quality rating.

So in my personal view a porta loo in a small van such as a transporter in the middle of the floor by food cooking etc is a poor idea.

Westafailia have a small ford van with a loo at the back that is just about acceptable in my view. But each to thier own.

Ahhh there lies your problem you see. That only applies to men who think sitting down to pee damages their masculinity. I don't like having a pissy floor so if using the loo I have a nice sit doon and wait for the kettle.

But another bonus of a pee bottle is you can stand , sit, kneel even lie down of the mood takes you lol. No splashing, no drips and no hassle .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Tents tend not to have a toilet in them it’s Camping and I guess a Camper van is the same category. Both can be used for ‘wild camping’ but consideration does have to be given to environmental needs.
I always had a porta potti with tents too .

Well apart from a wee 2 man thing when I was a teenager and cycled everywhere camping but then I just dug a hole.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Parked up next to couple of Dutch a few years ago on a wild beach who extolled the virtues of their cut out camp stool with dustbin bag underslung which went into the local waste receptacle.
Space saving or what.?
I think if you use the bag method they recommend you store it in the freezer to stop the smell 🤣🤣

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Ever since we had a boat I have sat down to pee, that's over 30yrs of extra sitting. I don't have a problem. I was also in catering and have proper catering qualifications ( not just a 6 to 12 week intro to cooking, that seems to be the norm these days) we were shown/ taught about hygiene in kitchens. Separate sinks to wash hands and prep food, air bourne germs, splashs, misses, etc some are extremely dangerous, illnesses/ diseases that can be caught. As for dumping in nature human waste along with dog waste in sensitive areas can alter biodiversity of an area through enrichment etc of soil, and adding other elements that are not natural in that area. ( Another area I worked and in for over 20yrs conservation and got the experience to know what I am talking about including bits of paper). I do get upset by people who think they know better but don't. There is a growing attitude in society where people are advising and telling people how to, what to etc without fully knowing what they are talking about. What this rant about. Well people who pee and poo or dump the waste outside in appropriate places, people who have loos in vehicles in areas where using health and hygiene regulations would not be allowed. For me there should be more regulation with regard to build standards and quality, h and s etc for self builds and manufactures. Then a lot of these discussions would just go away.
Sorry

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Ever since we had a boat I have sat down to pee, that's over 30yrs of extra sitting. I don't have a problem. I was also in catering and have proper catering qualifications ( not just a 6 to 12 week intro to cooking, that seems to be the norm these days) we were shown/ taught about hygiene in kitchens. Separate sinks to wash hands and prep food, air bourne germs, splashs, misses, etc some are extremely dangerous, illnesses/ diseases that can be caught. As for dumping in nature human waste along with dog waste in sensitive areas can alter biodiversity of an area through enrichment etc of soil, and adding other elements that are not natural in that area. ( Another area I worked and in for over 20yrs conservation and got the experience to know what I am talking about including bits of paper). I do get upset by people who think they know better but don't. There is a growing attitude in society where people are advising and telling people how to, what to etc without fully knowing what they are talking about. What this rant about. Well people who pee and poo or dump the waste outside in appropriate places, people who have loos in vehicles in areas where using health and hygiene regulations would not be allowed. For me there should be more regulation with regard to build standards and quality, h and s etc for self builds and manufactures. Then a lot of these discussions would just go away.
Sorry
Unfortunately I think that's what's wrong with the world today.

Too much a nanny state and people who are ridiculously anal about everything. It's why there's no common sense anymore and people need 100 signs to help them function in every day life.

Our ancestors would roll around laughing at what mankind has become.

Planet was in better shape when everyone crapped and peed outside than it is nowadays.

TCG

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
We have a Thetford cassette the wife has a small bucket during the day I pee discretely behind bussise.
Could not expect the meemsieb to do that sort of thing.
At night we use the bucket to pee and dump
It gets poured under hedge's usually in the bramble's.

This takes way the bulk from the cassette we spray the toilet with neat pink stuff but we do have a home made zog
We can stretch out the cassette to over a week
We carry a spare and have only used it once.
I am on the boat this week and it will last me that Tim as I use the bucket and Chuck it system on the boat
Bill
You throw your solids in the hedge!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Ahhh there lies your problem you see. That only applies to men who think sitting down to pee damages their masculinity. I don't like having a pissy floor so if using the loo I have a nice sit doon and wait for the kettle.

But another bonus of a pee bottle is you can stand , sit, kneel even lie down of the mood takes you lol. No splashing, no drips and no hassle .
If, as I have, you've had willy reduction surgery then there's no option. Unless you're somewhere where peeing like a shower head is possible 😳.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Unfortunately I think that's what's wrong with the world today.

Too much a nanny state and people who are ridiculously anal about everything. It's why there's no common sense anymore and people need 100 signs to help them function in every day life.

Our ancestors would roll around laughing at what mankind has become.

Planet was in better shape when everyone crapped and peed outside than it is nowadays.
I partly agree with you it/we have become a nanny state, better education would negate the need for more signs etc, common sense should prevail, but we need the knowledge to have common sense, rather than ( and I can forgive people initially) just thinking they are doing what they think is best or correct ( providing they learn from it then act on it. As for peeing and pooing by our ancient ancestors well compared to the billions today as apposed the few thousand then and the chemicals we ingested though our food and expell at the other end ( including ( recreational drugs and other toxins) I doubt the few thousand eating what they could catch would have had any serious implications on there local habitat.

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
............Have a camper van with no lavatory?
I look at advert after advert and vans have been converted well with copious cupboards, settees, kitchens and in some cases even a shower but no lavatory.
What is the point? Am I missing something?
Safe travelling
Paul
Oooh, another toilet thread, haven’t seen one for awhile, thanks

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A few years back, we were overnighting at Cite Europe and there was a brand new Unimog conversion parked in front of us. In the morning, I was curious when the guy climbed down from the hab and then sheltered from the rain in the shopping trolley return, ten minutes later, his lady friend repeated the procedure and then I realised that the very expensive "expedition" vehicle didn't have an on board netty ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
Istr that a healthy persons urine is sterile... Survivalists even drink it.... Though it s full of food for bugs, it's no worse that not sterilising your hob/ sink/ oven after every use; at least until you also cr4p in it.
We used one overnight happily for 8 years without poo, only being forced into that when COVID shut all the public loos. - which point we were doubly grateful we had it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
In a 5 metre van of any make, is it better to
A) p155 near the kitchen or
B) whoosh- bang all night? Discuss. 😁

Or this this as much about snobs who think campervans shouldn't exist?
To me that's akin to people who think children shouldn't exist...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I'd hate to be the person who had to empty the local waste receptacle.
I think they left their parcel within the confines of the bin bag, having said that I never lifted the lid to find out.:wink:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Have you managed to fill them all yet?:whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back