Am I the only person who thinks it is crazy to........

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
So using a loo in such a small space don’t expect not to get something nasty.

how to keep everything sanitised would be a nightmare in such a small space.
Nothing nasty caught in the last 9 years.
It’s actually very easy to maintain decent hygiene in a small camper. Certainly no harder than in a motorhome.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Possibly ...but I found that in countries with few dump points ..like Greece etc having 2 cassettes just doubled the trouble. I can go forever without needing a dump point if I don't use it. Besides nearly every park up I've been on here in Ireland has portable public toilets on them .this spot has 3 right outside my door

You'll have a decision to make if you come across these .... should you or shouldn't you 'dump'? :LOL:

toilets 3.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have a Thetford cassette the wife has a small bucket during the day I pee discretely behind bussise.
Could not expect the meemsieb to do that sort of thing.
At night we use the bucket to pee and dump
It gets poured under hedge's usually in the bramble's.
This takes way the bulk from the cassette we spray the toilet with neat pink stuff but we do have a home made zog
We can stretch out the cassette to over a week
We carry a spare and have only used it once.
I am on the boat this week and it will last me that Tim as I use the bucket and Chuck it system on the boat
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
You'll have a decision to make if you come across these .... should you or shouldn't you 'dump'? :LOL:

View attachment 673701
To be honest I've not used any but the locals seem to . I'm quite surprised they seem to be everywhere. Not sure what state they are in mind you as I've not looked. But a few smaller vans in places I've been have been thankfull of them

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Ours is a 5.4 metre PVC it is small the loo is in its own separate cupboard, having owned a T5 there is no way hygiene can be maintained by having a porta loo next to the bed/cooker/oven. You may not have got a nasty 🤮 but it’s not hygienic. I occasionally take a porta loo away in my T6 But I’m not cooking / food prep in there

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Ours is a 5.4 metre PVC it is small the loo is in its own separate cupboard, having owned a T5 there is no way hygiene can be maintained by having a porta loo next to the bed/cooker/oven. You may not have got a nasty 🤮 but it’s not hygienic. I occasionally take a porta loo away in my T6 But I’m not cooking / food prep in there
I don't see why not. If you're sat on it your ass blocks anything leaving it then you simply lower the lid before flushing .

I'm not someone who bothers much about germs....I think that's why I am very very rarely ill. And probably why I've as yet never had covid either.

And I can say hand on heart I think I've used hand gel half a dozen times at most in the last 2.5 years.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I don't see why not. If you're sat on it your ass blocks anything leaving it then you simply lower the lid before flushing .

I'm not someone who bothers much about germs....I think that's why I am very very rarely ill. And probably why I've as yet never had covid either.

And I can say hand on heart I think I've used hand gel half a dozen times at most in the last 2.5 years.
I am not saying you do this however would you really want to be eating or drinking in a restaurant where the staff do not have a separate loo facilities but do their business behind the counter next to the food!

Whilst our MoHo is small a proper loo (whith sog type extractor) and wash facilities are separate from the main area. Which means as long as long as basic hygiene measures are take. Such as washing your hands contamination is unlikely.

We had the opportunity of a porta loo in our T5 but no way were we going to install one. It would be interesting to see where unoticed splashes and what areas have been touched even by the most methodical user in such a small space as aT6?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We had a pota potty In our Bongo it had it's own cupboard and was only used in the van at night when it was downstairs and we were up top, during the day the potty had a toilet tent. This along with wanting a shower was why we changed to a PVC

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If people are happy with portapotti (other types are available) buckets, bags, separating toilets etc, then good luck to them, we shouldn't be suggesting it isn't right for them just because it isn't right for us!!

Perhaps the people who don't dispose of 'waste' safely (and I'm not suggesting which type of facilities they may have), of which there are several options, are the same sort of people who don't particularly care what anyone else thinks anyway and break lots of 'societal rules' in their day to day lives, so any amount of discussion is unlikely to change their 'habits' ...

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am not saying you do this however would you really want to be eating or drinking in a restaurant where the staff do not have a separate loo facilities but do their business behind the counter next to the food!

Whilst our MoHo is small a proper loo (whith sog type extractor) and wash facilities are separate from the main area. Which means as long as long as basic hygiene measures are take. Such as washing your hands contamination is unlikely.

We had the opportunity of a porta loo in our T5 but no way were we going to install one. It would be interesting to see where unoticed splashes and what areas have been touched even by the most methodical user in such a small space as aT6?
Why would there be splashes? If a portaloo was being used by us hubby would sit on it, rather than pee over it. As for touching stuff, hand washing would be required once the loo had been used, however unless you are meticulous at washing/cleaning your hands every single time you touch anything outwith your camper then you'll also 'contaminate' it with stuff. Life is not free of germs etc and they can help to improve your immune system, many kids who were overly protected by parents due to their use of anti-bacterial stuff suffer more with minor illnesses that others who weren't kept in a 'sanitized' bubble don't. Do you have an extreme 'germ' aversion?

Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Oh hell, another campervan bashing post!
Both of my vans have had porta potties and the loos get used just the same as my home loo does. Never been any issue. No smell. No drama to empty. Not stored under my hob!

No Tonks, promise I’m not bashing your van. This van we looked at was over £70k, I was hoping the design layout for the cooking area / potty storage area would be better thought out.

I’m not squeamish, buy directly below your oven no more than a cupboard divider between them?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If people are happy with portapotti (other types are available) buckets, bags, separating toilets etc, then good luck to them, we shouldn't be suggesting it isn't right for them just because it isn't right for us!!
Correct.

Perhaps the people who don't dispose of 'waste' safely (and I'm not suggesting which type of facilities they may have), of which there are several options, are the same sort of people who don't particularly care what anyone else thinks anyway and break lots of 'societal rules' in their day to day lives, so any amount of discussion is unlikely to change their 'habits' ...
Maybe, maybe not, seeing what some MHers get up to by emptying their cassette toilets in places they shouldn't (ie in hedgerows, on beaches, rivers etc), doesn't mean they don't 'respect' rules ... they just break them when it suits.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I wonder what people who perform cunnilingus and analingus would think of this post 😳
I don't know what those words mean and no way am I googling them!:oops:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No Tonks, promise I’m not bashing your van. This van we looked at was over £70k, I was hoping the design layout for the cooking area / potty storage area would be better thought out.

I’m not squeamish, buy directly below your oven no more than a cupboard divider between them?
I don't get the issue with the location of the loo, the compartments will be separate, you can use them safely and ensure areas don't get 'contaminated' so why is it such a problem?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I don't get the issue with the location of the loo, the compartments will be separate, you can use them safely and ensure areas don't get 'contaminated' so why is it such a problem?
Its funny cause when I do use the loo in my mh the door is often open as I can turn the gas off under the kettle while sat on the loo ....multitasking at its best .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
When we had our T2 Danbury we had a porta loo and it was strictly for weeing in only , only time this “ rule “ was broken was at Crystal Palace site when the toilet block was out of action due to a flood and blockage .
A toilet tent would of been a perfect solution and a cheaper one than buying an 8M Bailey with a loo 🤣

Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

From my wife’s point of view……the very thought of where it is. ‘Why not at the back’?, was her comment. And there’s no getting away from the chemical smell…..no matter how nice the fragrance is. As soon as we open the toilet flap in our van, the unmistakable aroma of toilet chemicals comes out into the toilet / shower cubicle…..and we use very nice smelling stuff.

It’s not to have the toilet on board, as when we had a caravan we needed one when then the kids were small, it’s the choice of location.

I’m endeavouring not to offend owners, just criticising the layout (in our opinion) of a particular van we viewed. (y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Another good example was the VW T4 Westfalia Exclusive high top. A 4 berth camper with a proper toilet compartment at the back. Very clever layout.

We had the T4 Westy California with elevating roof for 10 years. Always carried a Portapotti on tour, kept under the bed. Only used it once!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
From my wife’s point of view……the very thought of where it is. ‘Why not at the back’?, was her comment. And there’s no getting away from the chemical smell…..no matter how nice the fragrance is. As soon as we open the toilet flap in our van, the unmistakable aroma of toilet chemicals comes out into the toilet / shower cubicle…..and we use very nice smelling stuff.

It’s not to have the toilet on board, as when we had a caravan we needed one when then the kids were small, it’s the choice of location.

I’m endeavouring not to offend owners, just criticising the layout (in our opinion) of a particular van we viewed. (y)
Was there a more suitable location for it then?

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Why would there be splashes? If a portaloo was being used by us hubby would sit on it, rather than pee over it. As for touching stuff, hand washing would be required once the loo had been used, however unless you are meticulous at washing/cleaning your hands every single time you touch anything outwith your camper then you'll also 'contaminate' it with stuff. Life is not free of germs etc and they can help to improve your immune system, many kids who were overly protected by parents due to their use of anti-bacterial stuff suffer more with minor illnesses that others who weren't kept in a 'sanitized' bubble don't. Do you have an extreme 'germ' aversion?
Not any more with iPads ! Filthy things they are

Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Was there a more suitable location for it then?

Yes, but it would have meant taking away some of the rear storage. It appeared the conversion was geared at trying to maximise the boot area space for storage, and the toilet was an afterthought. The loo was in a cupboard more suited for pots and pans etc…….which until the cupboard door was opened, that’s what we thought we’d find in there. (y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Another good example was the VW T4 Westfalia Exclusive high top. A 4 berth camper with a proper toilet compartment at the back. Very clever layout.

We had the T4 Westy California with elevating roof for 10 years. Always carried a Portapotti on tour, kept under the bed. Only used it once!
I had the autosleeper trophy vw . It had toilet and shower right at the back . Great van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back