Am I the only person who thinks it is crazy to........

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
............Have a camper van with no lavatory?
I look at advert after advert and vans have been converted well with copious cupboards, settees, kitchens and in some cases even a shower but no lavatory.
What is the point? Am I missing something?
Safe travelling
Paul

Sapper520

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I saw a very expensive VW conversion, looked really tidy…..small but tidy.

Showed my wife and she was happy with it until the port-a-potty was taken from it’s storage cupboard…….under the oven.🤮

I’m not having a go at small vans, but that close to your cooking area?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One of the great things about a motorhome / camper is being self contained and a loo is an essential for that.

I suppose a portapotty would be acceptable if you were a solo but there are some things that need to be done in private.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We had a VW caravette with popup top back in the 70's. Great van ,4 berth , foot pump water, ceramic cooler,
2 burner gas hob ,sink with plug and drain. .and the proverbial potty. Only for emergencies though..The kids were we trained and whenever we went past a toilet block ,we tended to stop and use it. Needed or not. :rolleyes:
When we look around these van conversions now its the first thing we check out and always remind others looking to think about a no loo situation.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Likes collected
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
I am currently looking at VW T6.1 conversions, and yes, most don't have a loo, or just a porta-potty in a cupboard, but I have seen one or two, that have a thetford loo with a cassette, right at the back, one even had a sliding wall to give some privacy, Worx I think. My next van will be customised, hoping to go straight to the 'third van' (everyone seems to say the third van is the right one!) and cut out No. 2, if you will pardon the pun!

And yes, I do think its crazy!

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I look at advert after advert and vans have been converted well with copious cupboards, settees, kitchens and in some cases even a shower but no lavatory.
Safe travelling
Paul

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Safe travelling
Paul
Parked up next to couple of Dutch a few years ago on a wild beach who extolled the virtues of their cut out camp stool with dustbin bag underslung which went into the local waste receptacle.
Space saving or what.?

OP
OP
Paul and Val
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Parked up next to couple of Dutch a few years ago on a wild beach who extolled the virtues of their cut out camp stool with dustbin bag underslung which went into the local waste receptacle.
Space saving or what.?
I just cannot think of anything more horrific!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
It was from my point of view but they seemed to be more than happy to tell me about it. :eek:
Takes all sorts:LOL:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We parked near an English retired couple in their late sixties, in France, who explained to us that they couldn’t see the point of a full on motorhome. They just had a nearly new VW minibus thing, and we watched as they popped out, scrabbled under fence, carrying a toilet roll. Nice 🙈🙈🙈

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Space saving or what.?

I'd hate to be the person who had to empty the local waste receptacle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Safe travelling
Paul
Yep, crapping in a bag & peeing in a bottle. :rofl:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Our grand-daughter says campervans these days don't have loos or portapotties because if they did there would be no room for the wine rack!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'd prefer one of these.........

Towbar loo.jpg

Towbar loo 2.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Safe travelling
Paul
Many self builds nowadays fit either a separator toilet or in some cases just a shower room with a porta potty they can lift in and out .

Let's face it how often do you use the toilet?

If space is an issue some choose not to fit one.

I can guarantee it's far easier to dispose of one possibly 2 small bag of solids every 3 days and pour out 2 -3 litres of peel than it is to find proper disposal points for chemical toilets.

And like the grey waste debate where some seem to have toxic waste in their tanks . Body waste differs immensely depending on diet.

My dogs pass far more waste than I do

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've been doing that the last 2 weeks . It's so stress free not having to look for toilet dump points .
But as a single if you carry a spare cassette you could last 12 to 14 days and quite a bit longer if you don't put paper in it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Our T5 did not have a loo we just did what anyone would do who have a tent ⛺️ use the wash, shower and loo facilities of the site we stayed on.

This is what most people do when there is no loo in a camper van.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
But as a single if you carry a spare cassette you could last 12 to 14 days and quite a bit longer if you don't put paper in it.
Sounds like you would be carrying nuclear waste ☢️ and would need an appropriate protective suit to dispose of the contents

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Possibly ...but I found that in countries with few dump points ..like Greece etc having 2 cassettes just doubled the trouble. I can go forever without needing a dump point if I don't use it. Besides nearly every park up I've been on here in Ireland has portable public toilets on them .this spot has 3 right outside my door

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Our T5 did not have a loo we just did what anyone would do who have a tent ⛺️ use the wash, shower and loo facilities of the site we stayed on.

This is what most people do when there is no loo in a camper van.
Most these days don't use sites . Or very rarely

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
More than the thetford way.
A Simple foldaway seat or something more permament for your toilet tent.
Used Disposa johns for years in the bongo. No toilet doesn't mean no toilet.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Most these days don't use sites . Or very rarely
There are many VW Transporters on sites an I’m sure there will be many who may not.

Some people don’t brush their teeth, don’t wash their hands after using the loo. but if you want a reasonably healthy life consideration has to be given to personal hygiene. So using a loo in such a small space don’t expect not to get something nasty.

You get aerosol effects when flushing the loo (always put the lid down before flushing) dread to think what happens if using the loo inside a T5/T6 who’s touching what and when, how to keep everything sanitised would be a nightmare in such a small space.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There are many VW Transporters on sites an I’m sure there will be many who may not.

Some people don’t brush their teeth, don’t wash their hands after using the loo. but if you want a reasonably healthy life consideration has to be given to personal hygiene. So using a loo in such a small space don’t expect not to get something nasty.

You get aerosol effects when flushing the loo (always put the lid down before flushing) dread to think what happens if using the loo inside a T5/T6 who’s touching what and when, how to keep everything sanitised would be a nightmare in such a small space.
Sorry but just because a loos is in a small space, not even as small as a separate home loo, this doesn't equate to getting something nasty! The biggest issues is not washing your hands and touching stuff.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95

I used one in vw campers for nearly 25 years lol . Can't say I ever caught anything

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back