A photo of the day thread (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Norwegians seem to really despise Putin (I've already posted photos of anti-Putin street art in Stavanger in the Favourite Graffiti thread), but this photo of Alexei Navalny was just one of dozens of other photos of Russian dissidents forming a little display by the roadside literally in the middle of nowhere. Quite moving. Especially with the rose pinned to the fencing. RIP.

PXL_20240810_142234158.jpg

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We’re at Fougeres- a lovely city in northern Brittany.

Walking through the lovely public gardens, we saw this sculpture (apparently based on the artist’s experience of an MRI image).

Now I saw it as ‘quiet contemplation….’
IMG_1009.jpeg

Cliff saw it as ‘trying to get a tune out of a blade of grass’ - Mousy - as I’ve often said - the man has no soul :rofl:

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I hope you don’t think me rude but neither photograph makes me want to visit Gran Canaria soon. Stony beaches, wind farms, Brutalist architecture and lack of trees and vegetation don’t appeal to me. I did have a holiday in the Canaries many years ago (early1990s) and was disappointed then too. But these places have to be experienced and everyone sees something different, which is no bad thing.🤨

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I hope you don’t think me rude but neither photograph makes me want to visit Gran Canaria soon. Stony beaches, wind farms, Brutalist architecture and lack of trees and vegetation don’t appeal to me. I did have a holiday in the Canaries many years ago (early1990s) and was disappointed then too. But these places have to be experienced and everyone sees something different, which is no bad thing.🤨
I've lived on these islands 9 years and photos never capture the natural beauty. You have to be there.

I spent 3 months in New Zealand in 1986. The beauty there is stunning and smacks you in the face.

Here you're seeing how volcanic islands rose from the sea and kept on developing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Basically, that's what we have - you don't get too much greenery when it doesn't rain. But the fantastic mountain ranges make up for it. Definitely not everyones choice.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
We’re at Fougeres- a lovely city in northern Brittany.

Walking through the lovely public gardens, we saw this sculpture (apparently based on the artist’s experience of an MRI image).

Now I saw it as ‘quiet contemplation….’
View attachment 934403

Cliff saw it as ‘trying to get a tune out of a blade of grass’ - Mousy - as I’ve often said - the man has no soul :rofl:
It looks a lot like ianthebuilder trying to get rid of another "worm"

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A couple of photos taken in the village of Berriew.

IMG_4363.jpeg

At first glance there are many “half-timbered” buildings in the village but many are brick, painted in black and white. Looks effective though and makes the village very pretty. It has a pretty good Pub too!

IMG_4364.jpeg

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
First full day in the Lofoten islands. Climbed to the viewpoint at the top of Reinebrigen. 1,978 stone steps built by Nepalese Sherpas from sea level to 484 metres in height in only 1.1 km (less than 2/3 of a mile) of distance. Really brutal. Hard on the thighs going up. Even harder on the knees coming down! Amazing view at the top though. Now having expensive but well deserved beers! 👍🍺

PXL_20240814_121848177.PANO~2.jpg

May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
First full day in the Lofoten islands. Climbed to the viewpoint at the top of Reinebrigen. 1,978 stone steps built by Nepalese Sherpas from sea level to 484 metres in height in only 1.1 km (less than 2/3 of a mile) of distance. Really brutal. Hard on the thighs going up. Even harder on the knees coming down! Amazing view at the top though. Now having expensive but well deserved beers! 👍🍺

View attachment 935570
Taking the ferry there tonight (if there is space?) from Vaeroy. We intend to climb 'the sherpa steps' too but a bit of rain forecast for next couple of days.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Taking the ferry there tonight (if there is space?) from Vaeroy. We intend to climb 'the sherpa steps' too but a bit of rain forecast for next couple of days.
Hi. I think we met and spoke in our respective ferry queues yesterday in Bodø? I reckon there aren't many other British vans around here at the moment. We certainly haven't seen any. We squeezed onto our 18.45 ferry to Moskenes. Late arrival here though.

The weather after today does indeed appear to take a turn for the worse. Lovely and sunny earlier, but now extremely windy. Heavy rain for overnight, but easing off a bit tomorrow. (I love how the Norwegian weather service don't just have weather symbols with either one or two spots of rain, but go from one spot right up to five. Tonight is forecast to be a "5-spotter")!

We've done a few of the "Sherpa Stairs" walks now, but this one is particularly tough on the legs. No preamble to get warmed up, just straight up on big uneven slabs of granite, and then straight down again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Hi. I think we met and spoke in our respective ferry queues yesterday in Bodø? I reckon there aren't many other British vans around here at the moment. We certainly haven't seen any. We squeezed onto our 18.45 ferry to Moskenes. Late arrival here though.

The weather after today does indeed appear to take a turn for the worse. Lovely and sunny earlier, but now extremely windy. Heavy rain for overnight, but easing off a bit tomorrow. (I love how the Norwegian weather service don't just have weather symbols with either one or two spots of rain, but go from one spot right up to five. Tonight is forecast to be a "5-spotter")!

We've done a few of the "Sherpa Stairs" walks now, but this one is particularly tough on the legs. No preamble to get warmed up, just straight up on big uneven slabs of granite, and then straight down again.
Yes, you are right, we did have a chat in the ferry queue. Vaeroy has been great but not easy to find a park-up. It seems the guy who has purchased the old airport runway (and made it into a P4N) has gone around the island putting up 'No motorhome' signs absolutely everywhere. There is even a sign at the m/h service area saying not allowed to stay overnight. It seems some of the locals are in agreement with this but plenty are not as all the money is going to this same person and the community generally loses out. It appears the same person has 'distorted' the P4N reviews too.

But, nevertheless, a small and beautiful island and glad we came. We are booked on the Vaeroy/Moskenes ferry for tomorrow morning but will see if we can get the 2245 ferry tonight, albeit, they are taking no further bookings but this still leaves 70% of capacity free for adhoc arrivals, also free of charge. I just wonder how long the Norwegian Govt. will continue these 'free' ferries.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Yes, you are right, we did have a chat in the ferry queue. Vaeroy has been great but not easy to find a park-up. It seems the guy who has purchased the old airport runway (and made it into a P4N) has gone around the island putting up 'No motorhome' signs absolutely everywhere. There is even a sign at the m/h service area saying not allowed to stay overnight. It seems some of the locals are in agreement with this but plenty are not as all the money is going to this same person and the community generally loses out. It appears the same person has 'distorted' the P4N reviews too.

But, nevertheless, a small and beautiful island and glad we came. We are booked on the Vaeroy/Moskenes ferry for tomorrow morning but will see if we can get the 2245 ferry tonight, albeit, they are taking no further bookings but this still leaves 70% of capacity free for adhoc arrivals, also free of charge. I just wonder how long the Norwegian Govt. will continue these 'free' ferries.
Exceedingly busy here too compared to the mainland. Motorhomes and campervans everywhere (still no Brits)! Very hard to park (even during the day) as all lay-bys full. We've (unusually) paid for an aire tonight by the harbour in Reine. In 5 weeks in mainland Norway we've only previously used one campsite and two paid aires. Otherwise it's so easy to wild camp. The Lofotens however appear to be a whole different kettle of (salt) fish! 😀

Still a magical and spectacular place though. 👍

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back