A month in Provence Throughnal (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Schaudt unit is under seat and I became quite acquainted with it last night pulling all the fuses after I blew something. The good news is the torches had a charge !

We will live with what we have or think we have and resolve it (FiL is the brains of this operation !) when we get back.
But that's the EBL there may be a separate B2B somewhere.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
This morning the gremlins have been in and rewired the van and now the USB ports are off the hab. 0.7 ah being used as I type and nothing else in. 0.0 when I take it out.

I can only tell you what I tested couple of days ago and it was charging. Just rechecked again as I haven't had my morning coffee yet and as expected, I was wrong MichaelT DBK

That will help with the fans tonight as we hit 31 (likely to be higher) and turning charging off whilst driving appears to have rectified engine battery issue but will find out more on Tuesday.

In other news I thought I had better find some free electricity for the bikes. Hey ho the tourist office in Forcalquier participates in the Bosch charge your bike up for free system. There are 2 places in Apt to charge as well.
Do these charge your bike up points only work on Bosch batteries or is it a standard connector?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The B2B if its a Schaudt unit is only about 5 x 4 inches in size.
Converters often wire the fridge to the B2B as well as the hab battery.

Our Carthago came with a 25 amp Schaudt one in use 15 amps was lost to the fridge. Also when they get warm in use the output drops so I was only getting about 5 amps to charge the 460ah of lithium.

I replaced it with a victron 50 amp one and plan to use the Schaudt one just to run the fridge.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Do these charge your bike up points only work on Bosch batteries or is it a standard connector?
This is a specific to Bosch battery charging system.
I ll be looking out for free charging for any e bike en route. I made a note of how to it on mapy.cz recently and put the instructions onto a thread. I may have to refer to that thread as I ve already forgotten how to do it.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
The B2B if its a Schaudt unit is only about 5 x 4 inches in size.
Converters often wire the fridge to the B2B as well as the hab battery.

Our Carthago came with a 25 amp Schaudt one in use 15 amps was lost to the fridge. Also when they get warm in use the output drops so I was only getting about 5 amps to charge the 460ah of lithium.

I replaced it with a victron 50 amp one and plan to use the Schaudt one just to run the fridge.
That makes sense to my mind.

Need to find it when I get back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Serious lack of internet where we are has prevented photos of magnificent waterfalls ..... Without a lot of water.

We have been to the cascades du Harrison a couple of times. Really stunning set of 11 waterfalls you can walk behind or swim in the well and it's 9 years since we have been here.
We parked up by the fromagerie at the top end and walked downhill... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/lac-du-bonlieu-and-cascades.561/
Is it me or do all those piles of stones strike anyone else as really creepy?

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
First cycle of the holiday and I ll do the journal later but....we were expecting a disused railway line so decision for no helmets just baseball caps.
9.2 km in and Paula's baseball cap blew off. Her reaction on the brakes must have been harsh as she went over the handlebars but in a slow motion but even I winced when the head hit the tarmac. No great speed at impact and she got up right away and we sought shade.
This caused both of us to question decisions. The main one being, do we use the cold gels that are keeping the beer cold as a cold compress for the eye or suffer warm beer ?

20 mins of sympathy later (mainly for me as we did use the cold compresses) and we were on our way having straightened handlebars brake levers and pannier holder.

The second photo is the damage that was self inflicted by opening a cupboard door on her first night away while I was working. No photos of ribs !
IMG20240826164409.jpg
IMG20240826114654.jpg
IMG20240826164435.jpg
IMG20240826164431.jpg
IMG20240826164421.jpg
IMG20240826164416.jpg

You may sing along to a well known children's song as you glance through the current damage.

This one is just after the beer cooling equipment was applied
IMG20240826124340.jpg
17246844427724517564206227440376.jpg

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Oh dear. Hopefully no harm done beyond lots of bruises!

With my paramedic hat on I ought to ask if she is on any blood thinners?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
First cycle of the holiday and I ll do the journal later but....we were expecting a disused railway line so decision for no helmets just baseball caps.
9.2 km in and Paula's baseball cap blew off. Her reaction on the brakes must have been harsh as she went over the handlebars but in a slow motion but even I winced when the head hit the tarmac. No great speed at impact and she got up right away and we sought shade.
This caused both of us to question decisions. The main one being, do we use the cold gels that are keeping the beer cold as a cold compress for the eye or suffer warm beer ?

20 mins of sympathy later (mainly for me as we did use the cold compresses) and we were on our way having straightened handlebars brake levers and pannier holder.

The second photo is the damage that was self inflicted by opening a cupboard door on her first night away while I was working. No photos of ribs !View attachment 940123View attachment 940124View attachment 940125View attachment 940126View attachment 940127View attachment 940128

You may sing along to a well known children's song as you glance through the current damage.

This one is just after the beer cooling equipment was appliedView attachment 940129View attachment 940137
Ouch

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
The WESTY66 photo du jour is of a French market seller with wide range of weird tomatoes. There's a great TV show on bbc iPlayer from a cook talking about Provencal food. I think episode 1 was about school dinners, where they have lobster. I ll think of his name soon. One of the programmed was on tomatoes!

And as if by magic https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001yzqj

IMG20240826102103.jpg

And today's journal entry.

Journal entry 'St Michel l'observatoire' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/st-michel-lobservatoire.563/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Whilst I m here.

We forgot the keys to the batteries to take them off the bikes so using the Bosch system can't happen.

But we are experts at this as we failed to learn from previously forgetting the keys.

The bikes can be charged whilst in situ on the bike and are currently draining the lithium at 15ah.

However we plan on going to Manosque tomorrow where there appears to be a bike charging unit with our names on it. We just have to find it and take chargers with us.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Earlier in the year I had to have a back operation for cauda equina and the nerve pain in different areas was pretty high so to combat this I bought specific ankle shin and hip cold gel packs.

I bought them on holiday just in case.

They are now rib, knee and elbow cold gels having been in the freezer.
IMG20240826184416.jpg

The eye ice pack is a pillow gel

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Oh dear, I hope Paula is soon feeling better.
I think that something stronger than beer tonight, may help her recovery.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Oh dear, I hope Paula is soon feeling better.
I think that something stronger than beer tonight, may help her recovery.
Currently on the aperol.
Got 3 litres and a litre of rum for 40 quid on the boat.
We normally get pastis for France
Haven't got any wine yet but no real point until we can chill the bottle with the shin gel currently round her knee. !!!!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

The second photo is the damage that was self inflicted by opening a cupboard door on her first night away while I was working. No photos of ribs !View attachment 940123View attachment 940124View attachment 940125View attachment 940126View attachment 940127View attachment 940128

This one is just after the beer cooling equipment was appliedView attachment 940129View attachment 940137
Ouch. I hope she can get up in the morning.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I do Hope Paula is ok🙏 Mrs Westy had a bad fall last year at Lyndon top, she hasn’t been on it since but it’s packed ready for Germany/Swiss on Friday👍👍

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I do Hope Paula is ok🙏 Mrs Westy had a bad fall last year at Lyndon top, she hasn’t been on it since but it’s packed ready for Germany/Swiss on Friday👍👍
She made dinner, washed up and just got me another aperol.
If I remember I ll ask how she is. 😏

She's fine. Did another 30kms after the fall. It's all superficial. The bruise on her arm from pulling the drawer out is a beauty though

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016

That is awful poor thing could you not find cold beer locally ?

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
That is awful poor thing could you not find cold beer locally ?
I think that came into the decision making process. It just tickled both of us when I immediately got the cold gel out and we both realized it would be warm beer today.

Even more annoying was we forgot ice blocks as well so we used the pillow gels for the beer which was a blessing as they are more appropriate for the eye.

It has turned out to be a shiner but quite well hidden with glasses. Rib still hurts but moving better as the hemp cream offering some relief. No paracetamol yet. Back on the bike in next half hour for 40-50 km ride (with helmet)

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Make sure you take it steady both of you today!

And bet you forgot the stabilisers aswell along with everything else :rolleyes::giggle:

Seriously take care of Paula,and you definitely don’t want to fall off!

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
The WESTY66 photo du jour is meant to show the lovely evening walk around a nice town where you just sit down, people watch, and hope a coach goes past you fast so you can appreciate the taper wind with the added bonus of a fountain at night where you can sit and admire the nude painting through the window
IMG20240826215258.jpg
IMG20240826212459.jpg

And today's slog to Manosque.

We used 50 ah yesterday to fill up the bike batteries. Anticipating 60 tonight. Leaving us with around 100 ah in the morning so going to keep not paying for anything and go to la coste with a b plan of goult CCP as we do the lorger inspired cavalon disused railway and a few beaux villages

Journal entry 'Manosque on e bike' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/manosque-on-e-bike.565/

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I visited the LeClerc in Manosque once and took this photo. It's supposed to be a traditional Provence recipe and I should have been braver and bought a jar! :sick:

PXL_20220920_091840467.jpg

But glad to hear things are improving after the fall. A portion of the above should aid healing. :)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
The WESTY66 photo du jour is meant to show the lovely evening walk around a nice town where you just sit down, people watch, and hope a coach goes past you fast so you can appreciate the taper wind with the added bonus of a fountain at night where you can sit and admire the nude painting through the windowView attachment 940581View attachment 940582

And today's slog to Manosque.

We used 50 ah yesterday to fill up the bike batteries. Anticipating 60 tonight. Leaving us with around 100 ah in the morning so going to keep not paying for anything and go to la coste with a b plan of goult CCP as we do the lorger inspired cavalon disused railway and a few beaux villages

Journal entry 'Manosque on e bike' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/manosque-on-e-bike.565/
You know what Jon, I actually think you are tighter than me and Lenny HB 😁😁😁…….

Put together🤣🤣🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back