A month in Provence Throughnal (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Parking in the central carpark where people used to overnight has now been banned. Also watch out for a height-restricted bridge nearby. Otherwise we loved it there too!

View attachment 942259

Screenshot_2024-08-31-10-08-40-11_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last review was April so ...... Hopefully.... Which appears to be the word of the day👍

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
All has worked out well. Large parking area. It's just a car park with a rubbish bin and a sign saying FLTs welcome to park here overnight. Youth congregational point next door. Dead quiet the other side. Doesn't overly worry us. Signs of a designated cycle route towards town

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
WESTY66 photo du jour just a pleasant town
IMG20240831133122.jpg

3 entries today.

Isle sur la sorgue then Fontaine du vaucluse then sommeans du vaucluse

We were always coming here. It is a stunning town in the newly formed straight out of the mountain Sorgue river which is split to encircle the town and has water mills galore and crystal clear water with green reeds.

We have parked in a free... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/lisle-sur-la-sorgue.572/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Fontaine du vaucluse...photo heavy

Always fancied coming here but never made it for whatever reason.

It says there is a CCP here. It's about 3km away which is far too far to walk in this heat though very well placed for bikes and not necessarily ebikes as it's flat.

The town... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/fontaine-du-vaucluse.573/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
And the last one ..... With a puncture for pure entertainment value

Owing you self applause in locating Fontaine du vaucluse and what a stunner it was we pushed the bikes out a little further.

What looked like a stroll of about 4 km to another de vaucluse town we thought we would get lucky again.

Unfortunately... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/saumane-de-vaucluse.574/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Fontaine du vaucluse...photo heavy

Always fancied coming here but never made it for whatever reason.

It says there is a CCP here. It's about 3km away which is far too far to walk in this heat though very well placed for bikes and not necessarily ebikes as it's flat.

The town... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/fontaine-du-vaucluse.573/

When we stayed there last year the CCP site was on edge of the village, probably a 10 minute walk at most if memory serves me correct.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
When we stayed there last year the CCP site was on edge of the village, probably a 10 minute walk at most if memory serves me correct.

When we checked, whilst in Fontaine, off the CCP app. It told us it was in Lagnes.

But you're right
Screenshot_2024-08-31-19-31-39-66_9878825fbf2c08788abc4546c93bd890.jpg

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We stayed there years ago when you could overnight in the big car park . The Sunday we got there we discovered there was a bike/run race around the area which included the runners crossing the river holding onto a rope to get over it. The water was quite deep and pretty fast running and so cold it was literally taking peoples breath away as they jumped into it !

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
When we checked, whilst in Fontaine, off the CCP app. It told us it was in Lagnes.

But you're right View attachment 942633
We arrived there courtesy of Vicarious's All the Aires book. We still prefer to plan that way and resort to S4S or the CCP site only if necessary. Apart from the easy walk into town you didn't miss much. All CCP have done is put a barrier up and channel your money. Uneven ground, overflowing bins and hopeless for anyone with a dog was our takeaway.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
WESTY66 photo du jour
IMG20240704173008.jpg

From the last holiday, just a water feature.

Just Cavaillon today and updated of voie vert.

We have moved on to Sausset Les pins in a CCP seeking electricity and water. Looks like the 304 ah will charge at 18 ah so just about 12 hours

A really flat pleasant cycle from l'isle sur la sorgue on very q roads brought us to the town on a Sunday lunchtime with no atmosphere at all. It was hardly surprising on a warm day and we had little to judge the place on.
There is an... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/cavaillon.575/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I ve updated Sausset Les pins (above) with the photos which didn't upload for unknown bug in the system (me)

WESTY66 photo du jour will surprise him as he knows I don't spend money. But it's so nice down here sat in front of an empty sandy beach with a bar in the shade under a tree, I came over all queazy and all this ambience made me forget who I really am. Pizza and a cold leffe each with change from a score.
IMG20240902134958.jpg

Just the one today.

Go to Martigues round the flat coastal path she said.
Checked we could do it in French at TO. Yes they said.

Don't do it.

By alleans cycle til you get to a car park beach on your left and the road goes right and uphill, but after that stuck... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/martigues.577/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
WESTY66 photo du jour, a huge ceiling mirror in Marseilles

Just the one entry but we have moved on to pelisanne and back to pretty town time with free aire

We decided the 28 English pounds required for 2 people return journey to Marseilles from Sausset Les pins was just far too much when we are full of electric.
After all, it was only 36 kms each way, and only one ride of about 700 feet.

This was... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/marseilles-and-the-underwater-museum.578/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Sounds like an exciting and tiring day 😂
Absolutely shattered. Luckily only 28 ish but no shade whilst riding.

Just settled in at this large car park aire having rehydrated and it looks like a cheap wine night incoming.

Should have some rain tomorrow afternoon so a wander round here as we remember it as nice then work out what we are going to do and where to go. Pretty clueless at the moment. Salon is quite close but wondering about the bottom part of Luberon or maybe St Croix and castellane.

We ll mull it over whilst eating the eco lidl paella 👍

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Absolutely shattered. Luckily only 28 ish but no shade whilst riding.

Just settled in at this large car park aire having rehydrated and it looks like a cheap wine night incoming.

Should have some rain tomorrow afternoon so a wander round here as we remember it as nice then work out what we are going to do and where to go. Pretty clueless at the moment. Salon is quite close but wondering about the bottom part of Luberon or maybe St Croix and castellane.

We ll mull it over whilst eating the eco lidl paella 👍
I like those Lidl paellas

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Updated l'isle sur la sorgue

We were always coming here. It is a stunning town in the newly formed straight out of the mountain Sorgue river which is split to encircle the town and has water mills galore and crystal clear water with green reeds.

We have parked in a free... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/lisle-sur-la-sorgue.572/
Just cooking dinner and pouring some olive oil out of a bottle we bought there years ago.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
WESTY66 photo du jour.

L'etaing du Cucuron.
One of the most serene places we have been to and will be returning for a beer tonight.
It has won a couple of recent awards (last 10 years) for national and regional competitions. Can't remember what but something like best place in Luberon. It is also the scene where Russell Crowe finally gets it on with his belle as the thunderstorm comes in.
IMG20240904151756.jpg

Just the 2 today. Pelisanne and Cucuron (yet to be written)

We have stayed here before but not in the aire in the town.
We stopped at domain de Philomena outside of town. It's a FP vineyard, family run with wines named after the children, you stay in the olive trees and is lovely. But our late night... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/pelissanne.579/

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
And Cucuron. A stunner.

The name derives from the 2 mounts within the village. Or 2 nipples.

But we were attracted to the town from locations of "A Good Year" and in particular l'etaing. In the film they have an open air cinema at one end and everyone waiting their... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/cucuron.580/

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
We too have a chuckle at the CCP aire locations which in some cases are nowhere near the town they state in the title.

No doubt if they had a central London Aire, it would be located somewhere near Watford.

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Thanks for the Curcuron journal. It's been on our list after we saw the film. Did you have any trouble getting to the aire?

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
WESTY66 photo du jour.

L'etaing du Cucuron.
One of the most serene places we have been to and will be returning for a beer tonight.
It has won a couple of recent awards (last 10 years) for national and regional competitions. Can't remember what but something like best place in Luberon. It is also the scene where Russell Crowe finally gets it on with his belle as the thunderstorm comes in. View attachment 944432

We stopped at domain de Philomena outside of town. It's a FP vineyard, family run with wines named after the children, you stay in the olive trees and is lovely. But our late night... https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/journals/pelissanne.579/
What a fabulous looking place. It has definitely been added to the list.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Thanks for the Curcuron journal. It's been on our list after we saw the film. Did you have any trouble getting to the aire?
Yes.

We took the obvious route and followed sat nav.
Followed the route de lourmarin down the map then left turn on the angle then there is an about turn to the left. I gave it some width but could have done more but then had to reverse it and you need to mind your near side rear tire on a drop in the junction. Just about where that cross is (for lost bumpers) 😏
Screenshot_2024-09-04-17-45-59-49_9878825fbf2c08788abc4546c93bd890.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
WESTY66 photo du jour.

L'etaing du Cucuron.
It has won a couple of recent awards (last 10 years) for national and regional competitions. Can't remember what but something like best place in Luberon. It is also the scene where Russell Crowe finally gets it on with his belle as the thunderstorm comes in. View attachment 944432

I remember that cistern and Cucuron. :) My brother and I cycled to it in 2011 and stayed in a hotel which didn't serve evening meals and it seemed nowhere else did until suddenly at 7:30 in the evening everyone woke up and the town came alive!

Happy memories and thanks for the reminder. In the extract below I wrote about our evening meal and the purpose of the cistern in the entry for the following day. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I remember that cistern and Cucuron. :) My brother and I cycled to it in 2011 and stayed in a hotel which didn't serve evening meals and it seemed nowhere else did until suddenly at 7:30 in the evening everyone woke up and the town came alive!

Happy memories and thanks for the reminder. In the extract below I wrote about our evening meal and the purpose of the cistern in the entry for the following day. :)

It changed in 1813 from the reservoir for flour mill into the basin as is.

Cracking read of your blog before blogs were a "thing"

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Bit of a disagreement in the suavecarve household tonight about having a beer at the etang

It is only teeming down persistently at the moment with not too many lightning strikes. Forecast is for it to be absolutely torrential with multiple lightning strikes

I think we should walk up to get a beer now and Paula wants to stay in til it ceases.

We have a waterproof coat each but no brollies and if I went to get the hats out of the garage I'll d get saturated so might as well go without them. It's warm enough !
Screenshot_2024-09-04-20-44-57-71_051725baefd68d1e9ddb81affa7511e8.jpg
Screenshot_2024-09-04-20-47-27-36_88378506db711e9e7e1db4069d390b39.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back