2KW diesel heater installed. Review, performance, sound, cost. (1 Viewer)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I knew that, I just ignored it. I basically looked at how much I was spending per week for each. That was the bit that mattered to me :)
I thought you would know that, it was more aimed at those who do straight comparisons between white diesel prices and refillable lpg prices. The lpg is usually a bit cheaper to run than using white but I know one of my local suppliers is now charging £1.20/litre for lpg which changes the balance of advantage.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I thought you would know that, it was more aimed at those who do straight comparisons between white diesel prices and refillable lpg prices. The lpg is usually a bit cheaper to run than using white but I know one of my local suppliers is now charging £1.20/litre for lpg which changes the balance of advantage.
It is 88p a litre round here. So a 12KG cylinder would be 24 x .88 = £21.12 and last a week.
White diesel around here is £1.61. So 11.9 Litres (1 weeks worth) would cost £19.15 So it is close at current prices.

But if you are running off white diesel you are likely to be using your main tank which then gives you the advantage of a 90Litre tank vs a 12KG cylinder and more convenient to refuel.

I have a separate tank in my caravan and use red diesel so the cost is working out currently at around £10 per week.

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
Gromett this might be of interest to you ?

Had a look at the website & noted that the Bluetooth facility indicates it is not compatible with IOS, so presume you can't with an IOS phone from elsewhere?
1700338546353.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Had a look at the website & noted that the Bluetooth facility indicates it is not compatible with IOS, so presume you can't with an IOS phone from elsewhere?
View attachment 835126

You can access and control an Afterburner with iOS via WiFi and a web browser and the Afterburner's IP address or MQTT.

The reason that there is no Bluetooth functionality with iOS is because of the barriers and hoops that Apple put in front of app developers.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
My KS Energy batteries talk to my iPhone 8 via the app quite satisfactorily.

KS Energy is a commercial business and probably hired a commercial software house to write their app and get it approved and usable with Apple, but Ray Jones is a hobbyist who developed the Afterburner to suit his needs to control his Chinese diesel heater and still only makes and further develops and sells the Afterburner as a hobby.
He tried to write an app to control the afterburner via iOS and Bluetooth but Apple insisted on wanting to control how the app was developed and of course their pound of flesh.
Ray is a very clever individual and also very blunt and to the point, and he told Apple that they could stick their heads right up their ar*e, on the other hand, Android is open source and developing an Android app is a piece of cake by all accounts.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My gas Truma Combi talks to my iPhone via the iNet box and I am hoping my Truma Combi 6 DE will do the same if I swap it over to the diesel heater in my new van.
My KS Energy batteries talk to my iPhone 8 via the app quite satisfactorily.
The dealer is suggesting a KS Energy under seat battery in my new Malibu. I have heard stories of them going into sleep mode and shutting down unexpectedly. Have you had any problems of this type? I am pleased to hear that they talk to iPhones.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Excellent write up Grommet thanks. I think I might do something like this for my shed. We have had Webasto and Eberspacher diesel heaters in vans in the past, they were factory fitted. I'm a bit gutted the Adria Twin 640 SLB will not have diesel heating, it's only available in the SGX I think. Is there someway you can fit a thermostat? Does the afterburner do that? It may have been mentioned in previous posts. I think the big advantage you have cost wise is the ability to use red diesel. The vans we have had in the past had the heaters plumbed into the vehicle fuel tank so only 'normal' diesel possible. Having said that, even when static for a few days with the heating on the fuel gauge read didn't appear to have moved. I'll use you calculations to have a fiddle about with costs, diesel v LPG. I'll be considering both diesel heating or fitting a large underslung LPG when we (eventually) get the new van. Thanks again.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
For Sale
The reason that there is no Bluetooth functionality with iOS is because of the barriers and hoops that Apple put in front of app developers.
... it's a barrier to protect against malware and viruses.... in a word... security

The operating environment is secure when devices, users, manufacturers and app developers are all in the same ecosystem.

Information security companies unanimously agree that Apple devices are more secure than Android devices. According to a report by Forbes, 97 percent of smartphone malware targets Android phones.

Android phones get malware and viruses particularly from app stores. Apple’s App Store has fewer apps to offer than the Android phones’ app store, but the number of available apps is not the most important element of app stores.

Apple is very careful with selecting which app developers gain access to the so-called Apple ecosystem – a network of devices, apps and developers. Getting apps that contain malware into the App Store is practically impossible.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I'll use you calculations to have a fiddle about with costs, diesel v LPG. I'll be considering both diesel heating or fitting a large underslung LPG when we (eventually) get the new van. Thanks again.
I used white diesel for my calculations before deciding to go diesel because it will be drawing from the vehicle tank. Using 85p per litre makes lpg roughly 12p per kWh and diesel at £1.62 equates to 16.2p per kWh. For me that makes them close enough to put convenience and payload before energy cost. However one of my local suppliers is now charging £1.20 per litre for lpg and this puts it at 17p per kWh making even white diesel cheaper than lpg. As lpg suppliers drop out of the market I suspect that the ones remaining will be charging more to make it worthwhile stocking a low demand product. Perhaps lpg at £1.20 is a sign of things to come.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
... it's a barrier to protect against malware and viruses.... in a word... security

The operating environment is secure when devices, users, manufacturers and app developers are all in the same ecosystem.

Information security companies unanimously agree that Apple devices are more secure than Android devices. According to a report by Forbes, 97 percent of smartphone malware targets Android phones.

Android phones get malware and viruses particularly from app stores. Apple’s App Store has fewer apps to offer than the Android phones’ app store, but the number of available apps is not the most important element of app stores.

Apple is very careful with selecting which app developers gain access to the so-called Apple ecosystem – a network of devices, apps and developers. Getting apps that contain malware into the App Store is practically impossible.

If you join Ray's Afterburner Facebook group you will maybe get a clearer picture of the problems Ray had in trying to develop an iOS app rather than the security aspects you are highlighting.

Afterburner (Advanced Chinese diesel heater controller) users group

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
For Sale
If you join Ray's Afterburner Facebook group you will maybe get a clearer picture of the problems Ray had in trying to develop an iOS app rather than the security aspects you are highlighting.

Afterburner (Advanced Chinese diesel heater controller) users group

no doubt it's a high barrier to jump.. as it should be, but only being an app user, not a developer, am not qualified to comment on the problems he has encountered..

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I used white diesel for my calculations before deciding to go diesel because it will be drawing from the vehicle tank. Using 85p per litre makes lpg roughly 12p per kWh and diesel at £1.62 equates to 16.2p per kWh. For me that makes them close enough to put convenience and payload before energy cost. However one of my local suppliers is now charging £1.20 per litre for lpg and this puts it at 17p per kWh making even white diesel cheaper than lpg. As lpg suppliers drop out of the market I suspect that the ones remaining will be charging more to make it worthwhile stocking a low demand product. Perhaps lpg at £1.20 is a sign of things to come.
And that's my conundrum, which way to go. If I go the diesel route I'd want to utilise the circulation system already in the van, but until I get the van I can't take it to the fitter to get them to look at feasible options. I'll also need to consider possible warranty issues as its a new PVC. I'll save on quite a bit of space if I go underslung LPG as well. If I go diesel I'll need to still have LPG for cooking/hot water, although I can get hot water via diesel. Diesel has in the past been my preferred option (fitted as standard on the Chausson and Challenger's we had). Supply of LPG is also an issue. The place you said it was £1.20 is I think the second nearest LPG supplier to me (Birdham?) I'm near Bognor Regis, so after Morrisons at Littlehampton its either pay through the nose at Birdham or trek to Southampton or Brighton. Having said that, most of our travelling will be over the water where LPG seems a lot more plentiful.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
And that's my conundrum, which way to go. If I go the diesel route I'd want to utilise the circulation system already in the van, but until I get the van I can't take it to the fitter to get them to look at feasible options. I'll also need to consider possible warranty issues as its a new PVC. I'll save on quite a bit of space if I go underslung LPG as well. If I go diesel I'll need to still have LPG for cooking/hot water, although I can get hot water via diesel. Diesel has in the past been my preferred option (fitted as standard on the Chausson and Challenger's we had). Supply of LPG is also an issue. The place you said it was £1.20 is I think the second nearest LPG supplier to me (Birdham?) I'm near Bognor Regis, so after Morrisons at Littlehampton its either pay through the nose at Birdham or trek to Southampton or Brighton. Having said that, most of our travelling will be over the water where LPG seems a lot more plentiful.
You could always specify a diesel duotop cooker/heater along with diesel hot water 😉

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
My gas Truma Combi talks to my iPhone via the iNet box and I am hoping my Truma Combi 6 DE will do the same if I swap it over to the diesel heater in my new van.

The dealer is suggesting a KS Energy under seat battery in my new Malibu. I have heard stories of them going into sleep mode and shutting down unexpectedly. Have you had any problems of this type? I am pleased to hear that they talk to iPhones.
I've two 120AH ones. Not had any unexpected shutdowns over the almost three years since I switched to Lithium

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Correct, Birdham. My thinking is that the higher price reflects that they don’t have a forecourt and other sales to support their overheads. If Morrisons and other forecourt sellers pull out it will be smaller operators like Birdham that step in but they will need to cover their overheads.

Another part of my thinking is space and payload. I will already have a 90l diesel tank and I don’t want to have to carry 2x11kg gas bottles as well. The Combi 6 DE does hot water and all that remains on gas is a 2 burner hob. A single 5kg Flogas Gaslight should be plenty. Weighing in at 8.4kg when full saves 28kg compared to a pair of Alugas cylinders and 38kg compared to Gaslow bottles. I will also be able to repurpose most of the gas locker as a tool cupboard.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
1 Week update.
My 100Ah Lithium battery is down to 77% so it has used 23AH to power it for the week. This is a true figure as the Lithium battery is not connected to anything else and no charger is plugged in and no solar. It is literally a standalone system.
It has used somewhere between 7-8 Litres of Diesel costing me no more than £8 for the week.

Some context. This is in a very poorly insulated caravan parked on the top of a hill in the Lincolnshire wolds. It is only protected from the wind in 2 directions and when the wind blows the wrong way the draft into the caravan is physically detectable across your face/feet. I believe this caravan was only designed for summer use. The reason I mention this is that your motorhome will be better insulated and the figures above should only be used as an indicator. I suspect providing you do something about the cab area you will have better consumption figures.

I am extremely happy with this little 2KW heater and would happily recommend them to anyone.

Hope this helps.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
1 Week update.
My 100Ah Lithium battery is down to 77% so it has used 23AH to power it for the week. This is a true figure as the Lithium battery is not connected to anything else and no charger is plugged in and no solar. It is literally a standalone system.
It has used somewhere between 7-8 Litres of Diesel costing me no more than £8 for the week.

Some context. This is in a very poorly insulated caravan parked on the top of a hill in the Lincolnshire wolds. It is only protected from the wind in 2 directions and when the wind blows the wrong way the draft into the caravan is physically detectable across your face/feet. I believe this caravan was only designed for summer use. The reason I mention this is that your motorhome will be better insulated and the figures above should only be used as an indicator. I suspect providing you do something about the cab area you will have better consumption figures.

I am extremely happy with this little 2KW heater and would happily recommend them to anyone.

Hope this helps.
Just a question Gromett, that figure of ah you say it consumed, is it from bms or a shunt?

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
1 Week update.

Hope this helps.
How warm did you set it to?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I have it on the lowest setting 0.5Hz
Wow, my 5kw heater can go down to 1.5hz the lowest; I know I can mess with the settings to go further down, but I'm thinking of to cold and soot build up.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wow, my 5kw heater can go down to 1.5hz the lowest; I know I can mess with the settings to go further down, but I'm thinking of to cold and soot build up.
Smaller mass in the heater so it doesn't need as much fuel to maintain the temp.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The burn chamber sensor needs to read above 125 degrees C to get anywhere near an efficient burn.
I have not used a standard Chinese heater controller for so long that I can not remember if you can read the burn chamber temperature or is it the coloured bars next to the exhaust icon on the controller that registers the chamber temperature.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I think when you go into the advanced setting, you can read the temperature. If i remember, on 1.5hz the sensor was reading 140 ish C.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The burn chamber sensor needs to read above 125 degrees C to get anywhere near an efficient burn.
I have not used a standard Chinese heater controller for so long that I can not remember if you can read the burn chamber temperature or is it the coloured bars next to the exhaust icon on the controller that registers the chamber temperature.
The left button allows me to cycle through various readings. My temperature reads 133°C in the burn chamber at 0.5Hz.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back