2KW diesel heater installed. Review, performance, sound, cost. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I installed a 2KW diesel heater 2 days ago. Here is my initial review.

I was heading towards the peak winter usage of gas at 1 bottle per week and these are currently costing £42.99 per swap.
In addition my gas heater just doesn't cut it in the winter even on full blast. So a Diesel heater has been long on the cards.

Now I have my industrial unit I could strip stuff down and had places to store all the crap while I did the work and it wasn't so much of a hassle to do.

Soo. The install. I wanted to install it under the bench seat opposite the one I use as a bed. But due to the water heater being in an awkward position this was not possible with the chassis rails.
Moving it is possible but is a future project and I didn't want to do it just now. So. I installed it under my bed as that is the easiest place to get to. Right at the head of the bed.
It wasn't until I started testing it I suddenly thought about having that fan/tick right next to my head whilst trying to sleep and got a bit concerned.

This fear turned out to be unfounded as once the cushions were back on it is actually quieter than the blower in my Truma gas/electric heater.

Noise levels are therefore not an issue at all with the 2Kw heaters at low. And at low it is heating my caravan beautifully. I have had to turn it off once due to it getting too hot in here once, the sun was out and heating the van up.
Then twice I have opened a roof vent with the fan on for 2 minutes each time to knock down the heat a bit at night. Turning it off cools the van too much and then it has to ramp up to get the temp back up again. So letting a little bit of the hot air out works out better.
It is not something you have to do often with the 2KW heater.

2KW vs 5KW heater. I chose the 2KW heater because I would rather have one that could go very low and use the least diesel rather than work most efficiently in the winter. I think this was the correct decision. The 5KW in my van cab pumps out a LOT more heat on the lowest setting and would have been too much for my caravan.

Usage: The diesel tank gauge hasn't moved off full in the 2 days I have been using it. So I just timed the ticks. It is running at 1 tick a second at night and during the day it drops lower than this. But I just did the maths based on 1 tick per second.
1 tick = a 0.02ml dose. So 0.02ml x 60 x 60 is 72ml an hour and 1.728L a day. I am buying my red diesel at 99p per litre. So the cost is £1.71 a day or £11.97 per week. Even if I have to go the more expensive supplier round here it is £1.15 per litre it would be £1.99 per day or £14 per week. When I can get onto the kerosene it will be £0.79 per litre or £1.36 per day or £9.55 per week. I was considering getting a Kerosene bunded tank but the cost of it and the savings means it is probably not worth the effort. The payback time would be too long.
Anyway I think that is off the beaten track

My calculations are that if you can get red diesel then the cost of running a 2KW diesel heater is a quarter of the price to a third of the price of gas bottles and probably half the cost of LPG.

Summary. Not as noisy as expected, much cheaper to run than expected. Dead easy to install and a good level of heat even on the lowest setting. For a caravan it is better because refillable LPG are not always practical. For a motorhome if you use the main diesel tank I think it still works out cheaper than LPG in a refillable but perhaps not as clear cut depending on the price of Diesel. However, if you are fulltiming during the winter. Having the diesel heater running from your main tank gives you a much long run time before needing to seek a refill. With a dual 13KG gaslow in the peak of winter you would be seeking a refill every 14-18 days. A 90 Litre tank in a fiat ducato would last 53 Days. So there is that advantage to consider also. In 2009 and 2010 winters I got snowed in and had a hellish job getting cyclinders delivered. I couldn't get out to get my Gaslow bottles topped up. It hasn't happened since, but...

Anyway, I will post follow ups if I have any further information.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
3 more things.
Battery usage. I fitted a Lithium battery just to power the diesel heater (for now) as the caravan battery and charger crapped it's pants and didn't like running the diesel heater. Please note this is specific to my caravan and should not put you off.
BUT it means I have an accurate reading of how much power the heater is using. In the 2 days Since I installed it the battery has gone from 100% to 95% So at this rate if I didn't want to go below 20% I could do 32 days without any solar to charge it or switching the mains charger on. I was impressed by this.

Spares.
I have ordered 1 of everything as a spare just in case. This has cost me less than £50. A spare pump, gaskets, glowplug, controller and ECU. When/If it goes wrong I won't be panicking for spares and won't have to pay extortionate Truma prices.

Cost
The total cost of the 2KW heater and spares was just under £150. I also bought a turret to make the install easier and safer this cost me £15.50.
1700216605600.png

I also bought this excellent SeaFlo diesel tank. To allow me to use Red diesel. This was £50.00
1700216702229.png

This needed a different connector so I got one of these very nice ones for £8.00
1700216759980.png

I also bought an upgraded exhaust silencer, but haven't fitted this yet. Might save this for my van 5KW heater which is a lot noisier. Cost £10.
1700216831235.png

So all told £235 but you don't need to buy all of this and can do it on a budget for £120.

On the installation front. if you are fitting it to your van and don't want a separate tank. There is no need to drill into your fuel tank, nor do you need to cut the fuel line. In my Vivaro I used one of these .
1700216975832.png

All I had to do was unplug the return pipe underneath and plug this in then connect my fuel line off the T. It was dead easy. Wissel did this bit for me on my van. I think he liked it.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just re-read my calculations above and I thought I should point out that that £12 a week was the upper end of my calculations. That does not allow for it going lower during the day if the sun is out and any switching off you may do. That is at the peak heating level at night calculated across 24 hours.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Gromett this might be of interest to you ?

I have been using Afterburner's for the past three years, not cheap, but for me, they are well worth the money. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and these are currently costing £42.99 per swap.
what size are they ,18kgs? Here delivered to the door 12,5kg bottles ar 14€ thankfully. Excellent write up & even though the price of the heaters has risen over the last few years they are still well worth it.
also excellent idea for the spares. On the one in my van I had the pump stick due to lack of use. Easily fixed but I also have a spare pump, gaskets, electrode . Mind I also have a complete spare heater.:giggle:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
what size are they ,18kgs? Here delivered to the door 12,5kg bottles ar 14€ thankfully. Excellent write up & even though the price of the heaters has risen over the last few years they are still well worth it.
also excellent idea for the spares. On the one in my van I had the pump stick due to lack of use. Easily fixed but I also have a spare pump, gaskets, electrode . Mind I also have a complete spare heater.:giggle:
No that is 12KG. They have shot up in price and that is Flogas which are cheaper than Calor (or used to be).

I was tempted to just buy a spare heater as well. But it was £94 vs <£50 and with me currently spending money like it is going out of fashion on my new unit I have to make economies where I can.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: Battery usage above. I didn't state how big the battery was. It is 100AH. So 2.5% a day equates to 2.5AH.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm looking at a diesel heater for our boat have you got a link for the one you bought
Price has fallen a LOT since I bought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Here is a list of all parts and where I got them in case anyone is interested.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Gromett I'm interested to hear how the Chinese heater performs. Will you be using it for extended periods, i.e. overnight etc?

I have installed 2.2kW Eberspachers in a number of my vans and found them very good although in a very different price bracket. Recent ones have been used with an 801 modulator with the external thermostat wired, this enables the heater to shut down completely and re-start when the 'stat calls for heat. The re-start is not the full run-up to boost but a much quieter one so peaceful in the night.
The Eberspacher also has a recirculation mode without heating which is nice on hot summer afternoons south of the English Channel! Do the Chinese ones have that mode?

I'm looking at an Autotherm (Planar) version for my new MAN TGE which is a bit less expensive than the Eberspacher but does seem to have very similar functionality. I will also have Truma gas/electric heating in the vehicle but think the additional diesel version may be good.

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Good write up Gromett thanks, we too have been pondering the cost of a diesel heater vs LPG.
I was looking at a 5kw but actually our heater is only 2kw as it is and more often than not is only on 1kw.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We run a 5 kw eberspacher and find it's to hot in our sprinter even on the lowest setting so manually control it
When I fitted our 2kw I had the choice of 2 or 5kw as I bought both at the same time I thought I would start with the 2 first and if not enough it would be an easy swap to the 5kw if needed but once it has run for a while it drops down to virtually nothing and very quiet.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Gromett I'm interested to hear how the Chinese heater performs. Will you be using it for extended periods, i.e. overnight etc?
Yes I am fulltiming. currently in a caravan while I convert another van. The heater is on all the time, all night etc.
I have turned it off twice so far. The first night because it got too warm for me. The second time was today and have just turned it back on as the temp has fallen to 4°C outside and the sun has gone.
So I have had it running for 3 days now and 2 nights. With probably 5+4 hours of off time. I am really pleased with how fast it gets the temperature back up in the van and caravan after turn on.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Gromett I'm interested to hear how the Chinese heater performs. Will you be using it for extended periods, i.e. overnight etc?

I have installed 2.2kW Eberspachers in a number of my vans and found them very good although in a very different price bracket. Recent ones have been used with an 801 modulator with the external thermostat wired, this enables the heater to shut down completely and re-start when the 'stat calls for heat. The re-start is not the full run-up to boost but a much quieter one so peaceful in the night.
The Eberspacher also has a recirculation mode without heating which is nice on hot summer afternoons south of the English Channel! Do the Chinese ones have that mode?

I'm looking at an Autotherm (Planar) version for my new MAN TGE which is a bit less expensive than the Eberspacher but does seem to have very similar functionality. I will also have Truma gas/electric heating in the vehicle but think the additional diesel version may be good.
I run a chinese 5kw in my van since 2019 ish. I had to clean it once after two years of use. It was pretty clean, and wasted a set of gaskets. Not bother next time. If yiu run 10-20L of kerosene trough, i will clean the chamber no soot.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry, missed this on my first read through. The cheap ones don't have that feature. But Wissel buys a more expensive version with a different controller that has a LOT more features. He should be back around on Tuesday and will hopefully see this and can provide more info.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Don't forget to have a spare £5 temperature sensor probe as this is the only bit that fails on the Chinese heaters

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I fitted a 2 kw Chinese heater to my VW T6.1 last year and we have been really pleased with how quiet it is and how it performs heat wise, I also installed a supposed 8 kw in my garage at home which is brilliant .

John.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
3 days in and the diesel tank is still showing over 3/4 of a tank. I put 20 Litres in it and it is a 24 litre tank.
3 days in and I have used 9.5AH of battery to power it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
When comparing LPG and diesel costs people sometimes forget that diesel holds 10kWh of energy per litre compared with propane at only 7kWh per litre.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back