Motorhome stolen (5 Viewers)

OP
OP
philly
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
van conversion
So sad for you, something I dread for sure. My only puzzle is how it wasn’t either quickly found or at least traced with the tracker, did they not contact you from the alert or did they steal the keys and also tracker chip? Very best wishes with a smooth insurance claim, only the financial side taken care of though so look after yourselves too, don’t let them steal your wellbeing 🤗🤗
Tracker was disconnected after 36 mins and then its internal battery died which was its last place next to the M6 motorway

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
If it’s gone for more then a day I wouldn’t want it back….
I totally get this. When my cars were stolen I was told that the culprits were caught doing wheel spins and putting peoples lives in danger. I really didn't want the cars back. With a motorhome it is far more personal. Strangers will have rifled through my wife's knicker drawer, all of our our most personal belongings will have felt the touch of the B***tards looking for value without any conscience. It is a sort of pollution that will never scrub out.

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
I have a contact that knows the guys that own Station Road garage in Brampton ( Cumbria) and will give him a call this morning and ask him to get them to have a look.
Will post an update when I find out.👍
DJT
The garage has just rang my contact who has just rang me and they have confirmed that it’s no longer parked there.
One of the staff did confirm that he had seen a Motorhome parked up the road!
Was worth a try!!🤔
DJT

Mar 29, 2023
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
bessacarr 454
Exp
New motor home couple since March 2023
Hi we haven’t been on here for a long while but unfortunately our Ford Transit Hymer was stolen from our home in Lancashire early hours Monday morning while we were away in turkey. There is a picture attached it had the reg on of T20 EJR but that will probably be taken off now. We are truly devastated someone can just do this to our pride and joy 🥲

View attachment 888633
Awww we are sorry to hear that this has happened to you we were away in Southport a week ago and we parked up on a main road near the seafront and when we got back after 2-3 hours the lock for the door was damaged not the front doors but the habitation door Someone had clearly messed with the lock as the door would not open at all and for me to gain access to our motorhome I have to use the habitation door as I am in a wheelchair and need the lift below the door we are lucky we had extra security on that door or they may have gained access 😭 😭

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
After reading all this, I’m out today to buy extra security. I have a wheel lock, I have sergeant tracking, the engine is imobilised. But by the sounds of it it’s not enough, so poppylll is now lifted off the ground on 4 hydraulic legs, I’m buying a steering lock and three more wheel clamps, I have a internet camera spare that I’m putting facing the cab doors. I like the idea of personalising the outside with decals unique to my van, plus the van and reg on the roof.
What else do you think I can do to make it safer?…

Bloomin eck.! I find one wheel clamp is a pain to put on and off! If I had all that on it I'd probably never take it out again.

Personally I'm not too worried about theft. I have a Cat 1 alarm and one wheel clamp. Other than that - if they want it they can have it. I'd be more bothered about the contents if it was stolen on a trip, but when it is on our drive there isn't really anything in it of value and I don't feel I have the personal attachment to the van that others on here say they have. If it was stolen I'd buy another and it's an opportunity to have a change -buy something with the knowledge I have gained from this ownership, upgrade etc.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Bloomin eck.! I find one wheel clamp is a pain to put on and off! If I had all that on it I'd probably never take it out again.

Personally I'm not too worried about theft. I have a Cat 1 alarm and one wheel clamp. Other than that - if they want it they can have it. I'd be more bothered about the contents if it was stolen on a trip bit when it is on our drive there isn't really anything in it of value and I don't feel I have the personal attachment to the van that others on here say they have. If it was stolen I'd buy another and it's an opportunity to have a change -buy something with the knowledge I have gained from this ownership, upgrade etc.
Exactly I know someone who had that much crap on it to deter thieves it was a mammoth job just to nip it out for a run.

They sold it wife’s orders

Jul 30, 2019
Wirral Peninsula, Wirral, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 2018
I feel so sad and angry right now philly, knowing how much our vans mean to us all. I would be devastated if our van was taken. Its bad enough anything getting robbed but our vans are personal to each of us. I do hope you are reunited :cry: 🤞

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
I was having a good look at the photo of the stolen Hymer, the reg is mainly blacked out but starts with a P and ends with a O.
What reg are we keeping our eyes open for?

OP
OP
philly
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Awww we are sorry to hear that this has happened to you we were away in Southport a week ago and we parked up on a main road near the seafront and when we got back after 2-3 hours the lock for the door was damaged not the front doors but the habitation door Someone had clearly messed with the lock as the door would not open at all and for me to gain access to our motorhome I have to use the habitation door as I am in a wheelchair and need the lift below the door we are lucky we had extra security on that door or they may have gained access 😭 😭
Some people just don’t care do they? You try and have something nice and someone wants to damage it or just take it. Hope you have got your motorhome all fixed now.

Aug 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Titaniu
Exp
Since 2018
Tracker was disconnected after 36 mins and then its internal battery died which was its last place next to the M6 motorway
Awful, really are no longer a deterrent then 😵‍💫. My Tracker is due for renewal next month as 5yo bus and took a 5y sub, I’ll speak to the insurers about options as not cheap to renew and seem pointless anyway now

OP
OP
philly
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Awful, really are no longer a deterrent then 😵‍💫. My Tracker is due for renewal next month as 5yo bus and took a 5y sub, I’ll speak to the insurers about options as not cheap to renew and seem pointless anyway now
Nothing is a deterrent for them now, cameras, in vehicle security they don’t care if they want it they will take it unfortunately

OP
OP
philly
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
van conversion
I was having a good look at the photo of the stolen Hymer, the reg is mainly blacked out but starts with a P and ends with a O.
What reg are we keeping our eyes open for?
No the reg it’s on is T20EJR

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
One small follow on from our theft was a phone call from the insurers saying they agreed to the claim and a cheque would follow. We had found the ideal replacement but the dealer required a fairy hefty non-returnable deposit which we paid.
The next several days we were most concerned that our stolen van would be found, very strange how mood swings can change overnight.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'd be more bothered about the contents if it was stolen on a trip,
& this is why I am so paranoid about security when travelling to,& in, the UK.
I don't feel I have the personal attachment to the van that others on here say they have.
It is like family, on par with the dog.
Exactly I know someone who had that much crap on it to deter thieves it was a mammoth job just to nip it out for a run.
I've posted before what I have & use when travelling.Basically front doors are same as being welded shut.Only access to my van is through the cab windows& I have been informed I have to fit security film to both sides of them before we travel again:giggle:
Nothing is a deterrent for them now, cameras, in vehicle security they don’t care if they want it they will take it unfortunately
A detonation alarm is what is needed . Notified by phone app van is moving , sequence of numbers to access ,press 'send' & van is destroyed same as setting off a bomb. Job done.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
A friend of my next door neighbour came home on Easter Monday put his caravan on the drive and then nipped to Tesco to get a bit of shopping. When he returned home about an hour later his caravan had been stolen it has a tracker fitted. It was tracked to a part of Coventry about four miles away from where he lived the police failed to recover it entailed transferring the case to West Midlands police, we both live in Warwickshire so a different police force.
The last he heard it was at Holyhead the police were informed but apparently they were a little bit busy and did not attend. I summise its now in Ireland and will never be seen again.

So I guess its another insurance total loss pay out.

OP
OP
philly
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
van conversion
A friend of my next door neighbour came home on Easter Monday put his caravan on the drive and then nipped to Tesco to get a bit of shopping. When he returned home about an hour later his caravan had been stolen it has a tracker fitted. It was tracked to a part of Coventry about four miles away from where he lived the police failed to recover it entailed transferring the case to West Midlands police, we both live in Warwickshire so a different police force.
The last he heard it was at Holyhead the police were informed but apparently they were a little bit busy and did not attend. I summise its now in Ireland and will never be seen again.

Wow that it unbelievable, I know the police have a lot to do but they could at least show a bit of interest! I’ve been running around for 2 days now asking people for camera footage on the route it took up until the tracker died. I’ve only heard off the police twice since Monday.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
When I was talking to Warwickshire police the day after our van was stolen, the lady I was talking to told me that they would keep the case open for two weeks and then it would be closed unless anything came to light in between, so my case will be closed on Thursday I guess.

I can't help but wonder if my motorhome was aboard the same ship as the caravan as I only live about the same distance away from where the caravan was tracked to.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:You're obviously not a driver,an aficianado.

I don't know, I love my VX220 - 21 years old - just spent £5000 servicing it! My other car is a 14 year old RS Renault Mégane 250 Cup which again I love. I do a lot of track days in the VX220 so pretty much an car/driving enthusiast. However, if one of those cars were stolen, written off I would take that as an opportunity to have a change/upgrade. No emotional attachment - it's not a human being, not family.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Ok, it is material, but very expensive, for which, in my case, I have worked a lot to save the money to be able to buy it.
Not so easy to replace. So I feel bad for the OP too.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the OP too and I understand the upset and hassle it will cause. I was just responding to someone who said it was like family, which I don't subscribe to.

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022

If he knew where it was he would have been better to turn up and call the police from where the van is located. Block it in if he has to and just leave the car so he's not at risk of confrontation.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
If he knew where it was he would have been better to turn up and call the police from where the van is located. Block it in if he has to and just leave the car so he's not at risk of confrontation.
I can't help thinking that if the cameras at these ports were to be watched on the fly by interested officials, with some sort of up to date information of vehicle thefts, an important line of stolen vehicle thefts could be closed.

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
I can't help thinking that if the cameras at these ports were to be watched on the fly by interested officials, with some sort of up to date information of vehicle thefts, an important line of stolen vehicle thefts could be closed.
Problem is that's alot of work and with the police not having the budget something has to give and vehicle crime is one of those areas, shoplifting another, they just haven't got the resources to deal with it after years of underfunding.

Aug 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
Problem is that's alot of work and with the police not having the budget something has to give and vehicle crime is one of those areas, shoplifting another, they just haven't got the resources to deal with it after years of underfunding.
The voice of reason.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Oh dear. We'll just have to suffer then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back