things you never had, but now have, that you couldn't do without. (7 Viewers)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
So, lets imagine, you are going to replace your motorhome next week.

What will you have to take from your current van on to your new one? However, something that you never thought you would ever want but since having, you simply couldn't do without.

20 years ago we had a CI, it had nothing on it, just the normal, cooker, heating shower etc. as we've gone on..
I couldn't do without gaslow, Self levelling, an awning, air, outside BBQ point, outside shower, motorhome WIFI. alloy wheels, automatic, garage, TV,

if you has to change tomorrow, what comes with you?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Things I have tried and wouldn't touch with a barge pole again.
Windout awning
Cadack
Leveling ramps
TV
Satilite dish or any TV aerial
Calor gas bottle
WiFi things
Three way fridge
agree with most ..

I like the wind out awning.. but probably wouldn't fit if I didn't have

agree.. Cadac is $hit
agree .. no Levelling ramps , wast of space ..no need as many aires are mostly level anyway
agree .. no TV
agree ,. no Sat dish
agree .. no wifi gizmo ..phone is all we need ..if it cant get a signal, neither can a wifi unit
agree .. 3 way fridge is rubbish .. compressor fridge rules

Calor bottle.... yes.. don't use much gas.. been using a 6kg bottle for two years now..
2 x 6kg fit the gas locker ..
had Gaslow in another van but not worth the outlay for all we use now..

other things we have tried and don't take anymore..

Sat nav unit .. (now use Google maps on a tablet)
Windbreaks
Groundsheet
Flag pole and flags
Flashing xmas lights
A towed car
Generator
Solar lights
Charcoal barbie .. (use a small Weber gas one now)
Solar shower

my shed is full of STUFF that is never used now ... lol

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
agree with most ..

I like the wind out awning.. but probably wouldn't fit if I didn't have

agree.. Cadac is $hit
agree .. no Levelling ramps , wast of space ..no need as many aires are mostly level anyway
agree .. no TV
agree ,. no Sat dish
agree .. no wifi gizmo ..phone is all we need ..if it cant get a signal, neither can a wifi unit
agree .. 3 way fridge is rubbish .. compressor fridge rules

Calor bottle.... yes.. don't use much gas.. been using a 6kg bottle for two years now..
2 x 6kg fit the gas locker ..
had Gaslow in another van but not worth the outlay for all we use now..

other things we have tried and don't take anymore..

Sat nav unit .. (now use Google maps on a tablet)
Windbreaks
Groundsheet
Flag pole and flags
Flashing xmas lights
A towed car
Generator
Solar lights
Charcoal barbie .. (use a small Weber gas one now)
Solar shower

my shed is full of STUFF that is never used now ... lol
Never had any of them (y) ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know people will think I'm taking the p but I really aren't, we have had fancier coach built motorhomes but found we didn't use half the stuff, all we do is drive somewhere, have a look around, probably have tea out, go back to the van and go to bed. Get up in the morning have a shower and bacon sandwich and off again.
That's it, don't need anything else.
Awnings ok if you are stopping somewhere for a day or two but just can't be bothered putting them up and then having to pull them in again before they blow away. We had one on our last van, I put it out once and that was it couldn't be bothered again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
What I had but no longer have is my youth.

if you find it please return it to me and I will gladly pay the postage.
In return for all the help you have given others, after much looking and many phone calls, I have found it, a man who wishes to remain anonymous and will only deal directly with me, has it stored in an expensive lock-up, many miles away.

He wants Ā£1800 (cash) to cover expenses and, if you could cover my expenses of roughly Ā£200, we could meet up in a Motorway Services, I could pick up the cash and go off and pay, pick-up your youth and return him to you.
As I wrote earlier, it is many miles away, so might take a few days šŸ‘

I look forward to receiving your PM should you wish to proceed?

PS. He is definitely your youth as he has DNA records to prove it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I agree with the Sat Nav especially when driving solo.

I would also keep taking :

My electric bike
My thermal Mug and the Aero press coffee maker - makes lovely coffee, keeps hot for ages and compresses the grounds into a puck which can be dumped straight into a food waste bag, no mess!
My e-Reader, loads of books to choose from without taking up space or weight
My laptop with TV card (especially for trips in the winter months when sitting outside reading in the evening is less attractive) and small Bluetooth speaker to replace the useless laptop speakers
Fleecy slippers for the cold weather trips
All seasons quilt, Waffle fleece bedding for the winter and cotton for the summer.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I agree with the Sat Nav especially when driving solo.

I would also keep taking :

My electric bike
My thermal Mug and the Aero press coffee maker - makes lovely coffee, keeps hot for ages and compresses the grounds into a puck which can be dumped straight into a food waste bag, no mess!
My e-Reader, loads of books to choose from without taking up space or weight
My laptop with TV card (especially for trips in the winter months when sitting outside reading in the evening is less attractive) and small Bluetooth speaker to replace the useless laptop speakers
Fleecy slippers for the cold weather trips
All seasons quilt, Waffle fleece bedding for the winter and cotton for the summer.
In fact we do have most of those things (y)

Reactions: dna
Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We be simples folk but would again want all the following, although some might not be transportable.

In priority order:-

Parabolic mirrors - full size not thumbnail

B to B/A to B/DC to D (Whatever you like to call it.)

Gaslow system

Re-map (if engine needed it)

Solar

[I am surprised nobody has mentioned B2B before]

May leave TV behind - not used in 10+ years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We be simples folk but would again want all the following, although some might not be transportable.

In priority order:-

Parabolic mirrors - full size not thumbnail

B to B/A to B/DC to D (Whatever you like to call it.)

Gaslow system

Re-map (if engine needed it)

Solar

[I am surprised nobody has mentioned B2B before]

May leave TV behind - not used in 10+ years.
No idea what the first two are, and never understood what b2b is either but everything just works so I think something like it was in the ambulance before we got it.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
IMG_20240411_151258482.jpg

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Apart from being lighter than Steel and offering better braking because of having less inertia they also disperse heat much quicker so on those long downhills they off better braking and safety.
But are easily damaged... some of the roads I've been on in Turkey and Georgia I would have knackered alloys .

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Our health, I remember mocking my wise old Grandmother when she would go on about, ā€œhealth is wealthā€ as we get older (still in our 50sā€™) I am starting to realise how the wise old lady was so correct. We could do without everything we currently have provided we are blessed with our good health, everything else is a bonus.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I thought I carried some useless shit in my camper but reading this thread I'm an amateur.

Ridiculous what some carry ....no wonder there's so much concern about payload lol.
I agree but didn't like to go to far, the thing is though that for some the van is the whole thing , where for others it is the means to other things, some have to have every gizmo going just because they can, not necessarily needed but it's what they want and you can't knock it , it's their van and money, but not for me I'm afraid, we run at the bare minimum we can get away with.
If we were out to spend loads of money it would be bed and breakfast in some beach hotel at way less money which I'm afraid to say is the way we are going to increasingly be going.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No idea what the first two are, and never understood what b2b is either but everything just works so I think something like it was in the ambulance before we got it.

Parabolic = wide-angle, side-to-side and up-and-down. Widens angle of view to avoid blind spots.

B2B kids the alternator into putting high charge into habitation batteries, when normal engine regulator would cut down charge after engine battery is topped up after starting.

Don't thank me - it is all part of the Fun service.

[But I still do not believe you did not know. BTW how are the solar panels on your tractor rooves?] :LOL:

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I agree but didn't like to go to far, the thing is though that for some the van is the whole thing , where for others it is the means to other things, some have to have every gizmo going just because they can, not necessarily needed but it's what they want and you can't knock it , it's their van and money, but not for me I'm afraid, we run at the bare minimum we can get away with.
If we were out to spend loads of money it would be bed and breakfast in some beach hotel at way less money which I'm afraid to say is the way we are going to increasingly be going.
Yep I do get the impression sometimes that people are more concerned with how the van looks etc and having every gizmo on the campsite than actually using the thing.

It's like when people tell me instant coffee is crap and then give me this shit they've taken 20 minutes to brew and tell me its better . šŸ˜’

Emperors new clothes syndrome lol.

Because people are told its good or they need it they've gotta have it.

I'm so glad I'm over that shit lol.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's like when people tell me instant coffee is crap and then give me this shit they've taken 20 minutes to brew and tell me its better . šŸ˜’
I've never heard you complain about my coffee. šŸ˜Š

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Parabolic = wide-angle, side-to-side and up-and-down. Widens angle of view to avoid blind spots.

B2B kids the alternator into putting high charge into habitation batteries, when normal engine regulator would cut down charge after engine battery is topped up after starting.

Don't thank me - it is all part of the Fun service.

[But I still do not believe you did not know. BTW how are the solar panels on your tractor rooves?] :LOL:
No just don't know what this b2 b thing does , but in the ambulance under the seat there are two little boxes with red lights on and when the engine starts one of them comes on and it charges the engine battery then when it's full that one goes off and the other one comes on and it charges the hab battery, when the engine is off they work the other way round and the solar does the hab battery first.
I have never touched it it just works.(y)
Tractors, yeah we keep toying with idea but not done one yet.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No just don't know what this b2 b thing does , but in the ambulance under the seat there are two little boxes with red lights on and when the engine starts one of them comes on and it charges the engine battery then when it's full that one goes off and the other one comes on and it charges the hab battery, when the engine is off they work the other way round and the solar does the hab battery first.
I have never touched it it just works.(y)
Tractors, yeah we keep toying with idea but not done one yet.

Sounds like you inherited a B2B you lucky lad. :giggle:

Upvote 0
May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
Two recent game changers for me were the 9 speed auto, it really makes the best of the weedy Fiat 140hp engine, would never go back to manual now, and secondly, fitting a Lithium battery. Its a 230ah under seat with a BtoB, no solar, never stay more than two nights before driving off and hence recharges and it has taken all worries away, tv, pumps, fans, lights can work away at will, never get even close to using its real capacity. They both have a app, however, have never changed a single setting and hardly ever look at them. I had two banner batteries on the last van and although they did the job, battery management was always a concern, nice not to give it a second thought.

Upvote 0

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Manual every time.

It's the one major thing on my current automatic van I wish I could change and make it manual.

( Understand automatics if your are a delivery driver or use the van in an urban area, but manual is better for most motorhomes)
Bun fight 10 yards....love my auto.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The one thing that would be taken (others may be improved or resized) is my bedding.
Silk Duvet and John Lewis brushed cotton sheets (Euan). A rediculous price to buy again ( i got a Ā£50 JL vouchers to use) absolute luxury.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
In a bongo ?
Why not, however, if you notice my Avitar it says Rapido & Bongone. the Bongone refers to a Bongo that is gone. The biggest mistake ive made was selling it, best vehicle i ever had the 4x4 with electric poptop. Now running a Rapido 6m van far too much room with roof bed.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
Manual every time.

It's the one major thing on my current automatic van I wish I could change and make it manual.

( Understand automatics if your are a delivery driver or use the van in an urban area, but manual is better for most motorhomes)
what about stuck on the m25 crawling for 5 miles ,,cant beat the auto,,,wish i had onešŸ˜’

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back