things you never had, but now have, that you couldn't do without. (3 Viewers)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
So, lets imagine, you are going to replace your motorhome next week.

What will you have to take from your current van on to your new one? However, something that you never thought you would ever want but since having, you simply couldn't do without.

20 years ago we had a CI, it had nothing on it, just the normal, cooker, heating shower etc. as we've gone on..
I couldn't do without gaslow, Self levelling, an awning, air, outside BBQ point, outside shower, motorhome WIFI. alloy wheels, automatic, garage, TV,

if you has to change tomorrow, what comes with you?

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One thing that we will take is the Separator toilet instead of the cassette. My pillows, Lithium, inverter, start stop shower head, WiFi and gaslow are all important. Levellers we shall wait and see🤔

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Imagine? Not happy with the new van already and fishing for what you can add? (y) :ROFLMAO: Hide the credit card quick Nikki

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
Alde heating, coffee machine, lithium, solar and inverter to fire up the coffee machine.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012

What will you have to take from your current van on to your new one? However, something that you never thought you would ever want but since having, you simply couldn't do without.

20 years ago we had a CI, it had nothing on it, just the normal, cooker, heating shower etc. as we've gone on..
I couldn't do without gaslow, Self levelling, an awning, air, outside BBQ point, outside shower, motorhome WIFI. alloy wheels, automatic, garage, TV,

Having just changed it, I would take everything except the sat dish, and the only difference between this van and the previous is the solar, lithium, and levellers, which I would keep.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm going the other way ... back to basics..

When we had a 36ft USRV we had in effect a 'hoose wi' wheels' .. not going to list .. but it had all mod cons and more .. ducted a/c , domestic washing machine, microwave, auto sat dish, blah blah blah ..

Current van is back to basics.. my way of thinking, the simpler it is, the less there is to go wrong .. the less worry, the more you enjoy it..

It came with allow wheels .. pain in the ar$e , leaking air .. so replaced with bog standard 16in steel rims .. no more fuss

If I had money to spec a new van .. I'd want it as simple as possible ..

but there is a problem, I wouldn't want a new base vehicle with all the issues they seem to have,.. guess Ill stick with what we have .. just the basics.. it does all we need ..

it's not what we have that counts, it's what we do with it, a campervan or motorhome is a means to an end.. not an end in itself..

Thinking back 35 years, some of our best trips abroad were done with a 1980s Colchester caravan, so old it had glass windows, gas mantle light, foot operated water pump, gas only fridge and porta-potty..

I modernised it by fitting a Carver water heater, 12v pump and built a shower room with a Thetford toilet.. .. . that was luxury..

so to answer the question..

I wouldn't go without Jan. and the spirit of adventure we share.. .. when that goes.. it's all over.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

What will you have to take from your currentIvan on to your new one? However, something that you never thought you would ever want but since having, you simply couldn't do without.

I am sorry for appearing to be at cross purposes with your last threads but I am here again:( we have none of your list apart from the gaslow and no wish for any of it.
Honestly , no jealousy whatsoever which I know I am going to be accused of.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Must haves: Alde heating, levellers, fixed bed, automatic, cab aircon, decent shower, plenty of kitchen storage, large fridge-freezer, outside BBQ point.

Nice to haves: refillable gas, oven.

Things we've not yet had and would like (but can't justify upgrading to): inverter, habitation aircon, full air suspension, cupboards instead of front drop down bed

Things we've had (came with MHs) but wouldn't bother with by choice: satellite TV, outside shower.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have a new thing this trip. Hang it up inside every night when going to bed and leave just the blue light on all night. Satisfying pop every now and again!
We do have a PVC which is left with all doors and windows open in evenings.
Similar to this but black not bright orange!
Now this is something i would be interested in, would like to know how you get on with it.(y)

Reactions: hja
Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Now this is something i would be interested in, would like to know how you get on with it.(y)
It’s great! The USB charge lasts for at least 2 nights when just on blue. The integrated white lamp is useful. It is very small and we just use an S hook to hang from any handy cupboard handle. The blue light more gentle than single LEDs and easy to sleep with.
Have only once used it outside in the Quest but it was a bit too effective and continuously going “pop”. That’s the noise of an exploding mossie!

Upvote 0
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008

What will you take on to your next van?

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What will you take on to your next van?
Can't think of anything else we would need other than what we have got, which includes full size shower and toilet in its own room, cooker with oven, compressor fridge, full hot and cold water,200 watts solar , 2 x 100 Amp lead acid batteries, gasit tank, full sized as in 6 foot x6foot 6 bed.
All we do is drive eat and sleep in it.
What else could we need?

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Forgot about the lithium. Would take that.

We have one of the tennis racket shaped electric shatters. USB charging then either wave it around or leave it stood up. Is great fun to use waving around! Seems to work well but haven’t done a whole summer yet.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
My cast iron, flat, not ridged, griddle plate.
Large enough to cover 2 burners of my 4 burner cooker.
This means I can do my full English, complete with 2 toast, or a steak etc, with ease! 👍

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't think of anything else we would need other than what we have got, which includes full size shower and toilet in its own room, cooker with oven, compressor fridge, full hot and cold water,200 watts solar , 2 x 100 Amp lead acid batteries, gasit tank, full sized as in 6 foot x6foot 6 bed.
All we do is drive eat and sleep in it.
What else could we need?
Things I have tried and wouldn't touch with a barge pole again.
Windout awning
Cadack
Leveling ramps
TV
Satilite dish or any TV aerial
Calor gas bottle
WiFi things
Three way fridge

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Unless it ends up to be all electric then there are two things I would not do without - refillable gas, gaslow fine but I liked the autogas lighter cylinders. Also, the Heos water filler connector.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Never had a Fiamma awning before. Wouldn't be without it.

Also, the Garmin Camper satnag. Less stress, yet somehow adding the excitement of whimsical route directions.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
My second hand Samsung tablet, takes a sim card plus wifi. Hundreds of hours of radio plays downloaded from the web, BBC iplayer downloads of boxsets, radio stations and can be used as a phone. The Lebara 99p/month for 15gb I keep replacing as needed (sadly 1p/month gone). A simple entertainment package, cost about £30.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
all being well a new rapido is arriving in june , definitely not taking the comformatic or the extra metre n a half from the tag axle🤩

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only thing I'll be taking from this van is my 14kg Alugas bottles as I've only just replaced the 10 year old ones.
Would love to take the full air suspension but Carthago don't approve Goldschmitt (I wonder why, it's a Hymer company) so will have to have VB fitted.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
For me I wouldn't be with out Gaslow,lithium batteries, inverter, outside barbq point, wind out awning and automatic gearbox.
And with a smart phone I will always have wifi, so no need for that hardwired to a Motorhome.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back