Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (5 Viewers)

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Surely by that logic, from a purely functional perspective, you couldn’t roam in Spain successfully using UK issued equipment? But others on this thread have and are already doing so?

Presumably the issue is more from an account perspective, as the equipment wasn’t sourced from a batch intended for Spain you can’t register the UK originated device in a different Geo?
I was looking to get the refurb kit 199 in uk then take it to spain register in spain on a different account and install in our apartment at 40 +9 euros but have been told uk kits possibly wont work in spain, ??? Didnt realise they were regional ?

Anyone confirm ?
The only thing Regional is the use of in whatever region it's used in. Mine was bought and delivered in France but used 'Regionally' in Spain, France and UK.... Carpmart may know more?

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
The only thing Regional is the use of in whatever region it's used in. Mine was bought and delivered in France but used 'Regionally' in Spain, France and UK.... Carpmart may know more?

Evening all

This sounds like a tariffing constraint and nothing more.

Where the service is registered, eg home address in UK, Spain, France etc is probably the only constraint. Europe is a region so all the aforementioned countries are in Europe and Roam allows free usage across all those counties… it does ONLY give you best endeavours service as opposed to residential which gives guaranteed speeds. I can confirm 200mb everywhere I’ve been around Europe!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, ive used my own roam registered in the uk in france and spain germany etc too.

but a friend of a friend said Spain has its own Starlink service area and regulations and can cause issues.

Ive opened a suppprt ticket, im just after a cheap dish to leave permanently

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I was looking to get the refurb kit 199 in uk then take it to spain register in spain on a different account and install in our apartment at 40 +9 euros but have been told uk kits possibly wont work in spain, ??? Didnt realise they were regional ?

Anyone confirm ?

I've just finished reading the whole thread (it took a bit of time), as we've just ordered one and I wanted to catch up.

My understanding is that you've ordered within Europe and will continue to use within that "region" so no issue there.

I also remember reading, somewhere (in this thread), that Starlink reserve the right to move you to another "Territory's" (note: not region's) charging structure if you use the system in that territory for more than x months, which would work in your favour too...

Hope this helps.

P.S. Thanks for all your input on the thread, along with everyone else that's contributed positively and on topic, very useful and informative!

Cheers
Red

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I've just finished reading the whole thread (it took a bit of time), as we've just ordered one and I wanted to catch up.

My understanding is that you've ordered within Europe and will continue to use within that "region" so no issue there.

I also remember reading, somewhere (in this thread), that Starlink reserve the right to move you to another "Territory's" (note: not region's) charging structure if you use the system in that territory for more than x months, which would work in your favour too...

Hope this helps.

P.S. Thanks for all your input on the thread, along with everyone else that's contributed positively and on topic, very useful and informative!

Cheers
Red

Welcome to the ‘club’!

We are building some good knowledge on this thread. Ask away if you have any questions, everyone is keen to assist on this thread! 👍🏻

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Welcome to the ‘club’!

We are building some good knowledge on this thread. Ask away if you have any questions, everyone is keen to assist on this thread! 👍🏻
Thanks, so here's my question. My subscription is paused as we're not using the dish at the moment. Just set it up at home on Saturday to make sure it's OK and to get the dish and router software/hardware updated. Dish and router working OK but not sure if any updates were downloaded in the 48 hours it was on.
Do the updates happen when the subscription is paused? Or only when you're paying?

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Thanks, so here's my question. My subscription is paused as we're not using the dish at the moment. Just set it up at home on Saturday to make sure it's OK and to get the dish and router software/hardware updated. Dish and router working OK but not sure if any updates were downloaded in the 48 hours it was on.
Do the updates happen when the subscription is paused? Or only when you're paying?
Only when subscription is active I think.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
do you know if they are doing the £199.00 do you know gus-lopez
Im just about to order for my place at Torre Pacheco where am atm, and only see 450 ?

View attachment 860656
Do you know
No it is 450 + 23 delivery here still.sorry for the delay been out & about with funster friends
Didnt realise they were regional ?
As said they are not .

& yes we are well pleased with ours. The tv I use mainly for you tube averages 300 down constantly .Only know as wife has had to show someone else struggling with wimax line of site internet that buffers when being used for tv.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

Yes as Bustup15 says, you need an active subscription to download updates.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Unit is due for delivery tomorrow, so Chris will be able to start testing it with the various forms of video conferencing that she has to use for w*** in the home environment where we currently have Broadband to fall back on.

I've looked at the various mods for removing the 240v requirements and integration of our current Huawei B525 that's in the van. Would those that have modded their system mind having a quick look at the "fag packet" diagram below and letting me know if I've missed anything.?

20240206_230351.jpg

Cheers
Red

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Had my first Starlink fail yesterday. Parked below the Pyrenees, mountains and trees overhead. Could not get a steady signal despite a number of tries. Fortunately campsite has very fast (chargeable) WiFi. One euro per day per device

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Unit is due for delivery tomorrow, so Chris will be able to start testing it with the various forms of video conferencing that she has to use for w*** in the home environment where we currently have Broadband to fall back on.

I've looked at the various mods for removing the 240v requirements and integration of our current Huawei B525 that's in the van. Would those that have modded their system mind having a quick look at the "fag packet" diagram below and letting me know if I've missed anything.?

View attachment 863032

Cheers
Red
Consider how you will isolate the Starlink when not required as its a heavy power consumer.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Consider how you will isolate the Starlink when not required as its a heavy power consumer.

Thanks, sorry I didn't show it, the 12v feed is already in place and is both fused and switched.

Cheers
Red.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
110 degrees clear field of view facing north is what you ideally want. People are achieving 100mb plus with flat mounted panels, so it’s not super critical.
Put mine out today to start testing it and found that, without a doubt, it wants to point South . Reading online it seems it's down to our Latitude in the UK (apparently the Canadians have the same issue).

As you say not critical if flat mounting, in fact would get better the further into Europe you get. Just thought I'd highlight it incase someone puts a bracket on the North face of their property without checking.

Cheers
Red.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Put mine out today to start testing it and found that, without a doubt, it wants to point South . Reading online it seems it's down to our Latitude in the UK (apparently the Canadians have the same issue).

As you say not critical if flat mounting, in fact would get better the further into Europe you get. Just thought I'd highlight it incase someone puts a bracket on the North face of their property without checking.

Cheers
Red.
I have 2 up on static caravans in north wales and the both veer toward the south, Id have to guess on degree of tilt angle though.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Welcome to the ‘club’!

Can I ask you about the charges.
So my original turn on was the 12th of the month so if I start to use on the 29th of the month do I get charged from the previous 12th the full £85 or am I charged pro rata the daily rate let’s say 2.75 per day to the 12th or 14 days at £2.75 or £38.50

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Can I ask you about the charges.
So my original turn on was the 12th of the month so if I start to use on the 29th of the month do I get charged from the previous 12th the full £85 or am I charged pro rata the daily rate let’s say 2.75 per day to the 12th or 14 days at £2.75 or £38.50
Full charge on the regular billing day when you signed up and paid/used the first time, starlink is charged monthly

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Full charge on the regular billing day when you signed up and paid/used the first time, starlink is charged monthly
That’s what I expected on the 12th for me. But what happens when I have suspended and restarted on the 29th. Do I get charged for the full month but only get half?

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
That’s what I expected on the 12th for me. But what happens when I have suspended and restarted on the 29th. Do I get charged for the full month but only get half?
Customer Support - Starlink
How does pause service work?
Option to pause service is available only to Mobile (Regional/Global) and Mobile Priority service plans.
Your service can be paused or un-paused at any time on your account page.
If you pause your service before the end of your current billing period, you will still receive service for the remainder of your billing period. When you un-pause your service, the monthly subscription fee will be charged immediately, on a pro-rated basis dependent on the plan monthly cost and time remaining on your pre-determined account billing cycle.
If you wish to not be billed for the first months service you will have 14 days from your Starlink's ship date to initiate a pause. If a pause is initiated after the billing statement has generated in your account, your Starlink service will be scheduled to pause the following month.
This is from post #422

Cheers
Red

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
No, will charge pro rata till renewal date and then full month. I have started part month and immediately paused it when travelling for a week away.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
This is from post #422

Cheers
Red
So I was correct in thinking that reactivating on the 29th will bill me £37 ish then again £85 on the 12th
We are going out again to Spain on the 29th March until 24th May. So can expect 2x£85 and a £37 for this period. Then suspend on the 25th May

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry Fragle, Im not sure if I understand, BUT,
lets say your service payment day on the 12th for the month,and then you use it that day.... then you will be charged again the next month on the 12th the full fee, no matter if you paused or not.
they dont "pro rata" charge daily, it can be paused for whole months, not part and charged half.

If you are saying its your first-ever setup - payment and you set your pay day as 12th and didnt use it then yes you will be billed from the day you start to use it "pro rata" to the next 12th. If you did use it, even on the 12th, you will be billed the whole month,

though I do think someone here got in touch with support to tell them they only switched it on to test, then switched on weeks later, and got a refund of the unused portion.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
So I was correct in thinking that reactivating on the 29th will bill me £37 ish then again £85 on the 12th
We are going out again to Spain on the 29th March until 24th May. So can expect 2x£85 and a £37 for this period. Then suspend on the 25th May
You can suspend at any point in the month and you will pay for the remainder of that month till your next billing date. In your example above suspend on the 13th May and you will be billed and have use of Starlink till 12th June.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Sorry Fragle, Im not sure if I understand, BUT,
lets say your service payment day on the 12th for the month,and then you use it that day.... then you will be charged again the next month on the 12th the full fee, no matter if you paused or not.
they dont "pro rata" charge daily, it can be paused for whole months, not part and charged half.

If you are saying its your first-ever setup - payment and you set your pay day as 12th and didnt use it then yes you will be billed from the day you start to use it "pro rata" to the next 12th
No problem I understand the full month charge on the 12th
As I said it is paused at the moment so no charge. I’m going to activate it on the 29th March
Until 24th May

12th April £85
12th May £85
My question is what will they take on the 29thMarch? £85 or pro rata around £37

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

When you ‘unpause’ the service, you are charged pro-rata from that date to the end of your billing month.
When you pause it, you are charged the full month irrespective of the date that you initiated the ‘pause’.

Ian

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017

According to Starlink (above)...

With a Billing Cycle of the 12th of the month.

If your account is paused on, or before, the 11th March and you activate (unpause) it on 29th March. You will be charged on the 29th March, Ro-Rata to the 11th April (approx £29).

then on the 12th April you will be charged £85 for 12th April to 11 May,

then you will be charged £85 on the 12th May for 12th May to 11th June, even if you pause on 25th May.

As long as your account is paused on, or before, 11th June until 12th July you will not be charged in that billing cycle.

All that is according to the details provided by Starlink on post #422, not my personal experience,.

Cheers
Red.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back