Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (2 Viewers)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Is the Starlink Gen3 out yet in Europe, any major benefits vs previous. Need a reason to drill some holes in the roof 😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Gen3 review here, thought it was quite interesting.

I like the connectors on this new dishy but not sure about the setup as the app wants you to point the dish in a certain direction. That may hinder the use on motorhomes when fixed on the roof. Unless someone can confirm you can skip this bit as part of the setup

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I like the connectors on this new dishy but not sure about the setup as the app wants you to point the dish in a certain direction. That may hinder the use on motorhomes when fixed on the roof. Unless someone can confirm you can skip this bit as part of the setup

Trying to find out when Starlink can confirm a Gen3 unit for my country. Also would go flat mount for my install so an important point to clarify about the manual orientation, suppose you could always move the van for that one off step 🤷‍♂️

I assume the 4” longer dish and 110 vs 100 degree spec all will help on a flat mount install.

Reactions: zac

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Trying to find out when Starlink can confirm a Gen3 unit for my country. Also would go flat mount for my install so an important point to clarify about the manual orientation, suppose you could always move the van for that one off step 🤷‍♂️

I assume the 4” longer dish and 110 vs 100 degree spec all will help on a flat mount install.
Don't forget this uses more power than the gen2 as well.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Interesting post on here Roamers fb about power use of Starlink 110ah per day
That is a lot but i cannot see why you would want it on for the whole 24 hours, when travelling we just used to turn ours off when going to bed then just turn it on when needed the next evening so probably only on for approx 6 hours maybe slightly more sometime's but no where near 24 hours. Don't they sleep :)
I suspect that's also based on the Gen2 and not the new static Gen3 dishy which will be even more :(

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Now i have a dilemma 🤔

I had pretty much made my mind up to order a Gen3 once they become available in my area however Starlink have just drop the monthly fee by 40% on a Roam contract, i suspect to shift the Gen2 stock…..

If i use it half the year (probable) then that‘s a couple of hundred spondulix I’ll be better off, but i also suspect I’ll then convince myself I’ll need a Gen3 for some reason😂

I plan to use it at first with just the standard tripod mount with router installed in the garage. Then once familiar with it all I’ll go flat roof mount and hard wire.

Decisions, decisions😮‍💨

Last edited:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Not really ripped off. It is worth the £85. But free market economics means if you can't sell enough to those tight fisted Europeans you have to drop the price :D :p

Yeah but you guys got some great deals last year if i remember😉 this is our first “discounted offer“ here in CH. Trigger pulled this morning once I realised how many nights away the children have planned (I’m just the driver😂) hopefully it will come in handy for the 3.5wks Nordic trip this summer as well as all the other European stuff. Bye bye sim card swapping👌

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not really ripped off. It is worth the £85. B
it is well worth the 40€ we pay just not the extra 'gov.es 'scamming charge' of 9€ to "access system"🤷‍♂️
. But free market economics means if you can't sell enough to those tight fisted Europeans you have to drop the price :D :p
No,here they had to drop price as the eu directive on people in rural areas being supplied with fast internet meant gov.es came up with something that was 100down 10 up to end of 2023 then 200 down 30 up from Jan 2024 at a around 35€/month

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
It’ll have to be somewhere between £50-60 a month before I give it a go….
I also think it's too expensive and definitely not for most motorhomers, the main reasons i have it are the fact that you can stop and start the contract so not paying for months that you are not using it and that I can flat mount it. You also are not reliant on a mobile mast and only clear view of the sky which is easier to accommodate but if the first 2 points were removed i would just sell it as it would be of no use to me.

Also the price is only ever going to go up so once it hits a certain point i will likely ditch it as it will just be too expensive for me to use but for the moment it suits a purpose but i dont think it's going to be long before i am outpriced by the increase in monthly fees which always seem inevitable and given this has already happened to the USA

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
outpriced by the increase in monthly fees which always seem inevitable and given this has already happened to the USA
I am always amazed at the prices in the US even for stuff that is as cheap as chips in the UK & EU?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back