Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (2 Viewers)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I was looking to get the refurb kit 199 in uk then take it to spain register in spain on a different account and install in our apartment at 40 +9 euros but have been told uk kits possibly wont work in spain, ??? Didnt realise they were regional ?

Anyone confirm ?
that answers that

1707345089169.jpeg

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
My billing date is the 7th of each month, when we went away at Xmas i did not activate till the 9th Dec and was charged £80.39. I then paused it straight away as I knew it would go to the end of the month. I was then not charged anymore for then the following month so for me if you activate mid cycle but then stop before the month is up you are then not charged for the following month.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
According to Starlink (above)...

With a Billing Cycle of the 12th of the month.

If your account is paused on, or before, the 11th March and you activate (unpause) it on 29th March. You will be charged on the 29th March, Ro-Rata to the 11th April (approx £29).

then on the 12th April you will be charged £85 for 12th April to 11 May,

then you will be charged £85 on the 12th May for 12th May to 11th June, even if you pause on 25th May.

As long as your account is paused on, or before, 11th June until 12th July you will not be charged in that billing cycle.

All that is according to the details provided by Starlink on post #422, not my personal experience,.

Cheers
Red.
Thanks. Perfect explanation and what I thought as well.
I’ll confirm when it happens (y)

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Just had this come into my in-box and remembered this thread. They’re saying this is half price, hope useful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Now that the Camino (Tiekom) service has had its day and the continued roaming data challenges, as well as crappy data service in the UK, I’ve had enough of pratting around as I just want always on, full service broadband wherever I am.

So, the solution (I hope) is a Starlink Roam order was placed today. £460 for the hardware, £95 per month for the service. I know some may consider this expensive but I will no longer need a data tariff SIM in the UK for the Netgear, nor will I need the Tiekom data SIM for between 5 and 8 months per year and I can knock back the Popit SIMs to 10Gig each, so the difference is not that great really.

I’ve worked out a spot on the roof where I will be fitting a small frame to mount the dish whilst parked up. It will be a couple of mins job to climb ladder and four wing nuts to secure, connect the cable and job is done!

The cable will be permanently installed through the roof into my existing media cupboard and at present I will power from my main inverter, but I may switch to a small 250w Victron pure sine wave inverter just for this in the future, so I don’t have to leave the main inverter on all the time.

Starlink quote around one KWh of power consumption per day. The peak power consumption is 75w and average consumption seems to be in the 35w range (230v power ratings). Many North American RV users are suggesting that the power consumption is way better than Starlink suggest and better than they expected.

A new feature from Starlink should help with power use as you can set ‘night periods’ where the system shuts down during set hours to reduce power consumption. I’ve ordered and will fit another 200w solar panel to augment the existing solar. I actually needed a larger Amperage Victron MPPT and some bigger cable to the batteries as well, so not the cheapest exercise… 🤦‍♂️

I’ve purchased a compact almost purpose designed electrical box to store the 75ft cable in on the roof when travelling. This will enable me to move the dish from the roof to the ground should I have obstacles obstructing the dish, but very easily without too much faff.

Will try and document a ‘how I did it’ incase it is of interest and or use to others and will of course let everyone know how good (I hope) this is…..

🤞 the expectation and promise from Starlink matches real world performance. Watch this space! 🤪
Don't park under or close to (tall) trees.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Very interesting… Are you UK based with a UK registered subscription? So were you on either the home £75 or the Roam £85 tariff previously? How did you learn of the reduction?
French address and subscription base. It used to be 100e and on the roam plan.. I'm in the UK now but haven't paused the service.

Starbill.PNG

Last edited:

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Just checked price of rental from UK to Europe and shocked at the difference.

Are we in the UK being ripped off?

I pay £85.00 a month but if I was in France it would be €59.00 (£50.00).

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Just checked price of rental from UK to Europe and shocked at the difference.

Are we in the UK being ripped off?

I pay £85.00 a month but if I was in France it would be €59.00 (£50.00).
Yes to ripped off but I think price will come down in the UK.

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Not yet, but looking
I’m paying €40.00 euros p/month in Greece.

the UK is being ripped off

IMG_4875.jpeg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No to being ripped off. Price is based on supply and demand.
There are technical and commercial reasons why it is cheaper there as well. Managing demand using pricing is a pretty reasonable way to do business.

Feb 15, 2022
Crieff, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2014
Sep 28, 2017
Bakewell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo
Exp
we use our motorhome to attend festivals all over the UK - that many people gathered in one place means that the access to mobile data is mostly zero. At one festival we could not even send text messages! Tried a booster aerial etc - waste of money. A guy with Starlink saved the day - there was a match that everyone wanted to watch - no problems. We found a massive TV set - he linked it up - party… How do i get the system fitted?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Just read this thread with interest. So … we pay internet at home nd also for our holiday house up north where 4.45 Mbps download and 0.08 Mbps upload is severely compromising.

If we ordered Starlink could we move it between the two properties?

I’m not too worried about while we’re in the move as Tesco roaming does us at the moment (2 weeks max abroad so we read) though in a few years when we retire we may want the option of TV.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just read this thread with interest. So … we pay internet at home nd also for our holiday house up north where 4.45 Mbps download and 0.08 Mbps upload is severely compromising.

I’m not too worried about while we’re in the move as Tesco roaming does us at the moment (2 weeks max abroad so we read) though in a few years when we retire we may want the option of TV.
The starlink has two modes. Static and Roaming. In the UK it is £75 for the static and £85 per month for the roaming.
With the roaming plan you could move it between the two properties. But not with the static plan.
The roaming plan can also be suspended when not needed.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
we use our motorhome to attend festivals all over the UK - that many people gathered in one place means that the access to mobile data is mostly zero. At one festival we could not even send text messages! Tried a booster aerial etc - waste of money. A guy with Starlink saved the day - there was a match that everyone wanted to watch - no problems. We found a massive TV set - he linked it up - party… How do i get the system fitted?
Order the kit, set it up (plug in a couple cables) point it to the sky and your done in 10 mins.

Choose the roam package allows you to use all over UK and EU..and allows you to pause subscription if needed.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Nothing to fit really, Just take the dish out of the box, clip stand on, attach cables to dish and router then plug in to normal household socket, set your password on app. That's it! incredibly simple.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only

You won't regret it (y)

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
If I got it, it would be my sole system for home and away, I pay £27 a month for crap fibre broadband at home for around 55mbps speed and only £13 a month for Tesco (02) 60gb contract with full roaming up to my allowance ( may change soon) but I’m a heavy user and can buy around €20-40 when away on a local data sim so at the moment I pay around £55 a month.

I suppose I wouldn’t cancel my Tesco mobile if I got one so I would be paying around £45 extra for this and of course the start-up fee, I wouldn’t have the need to stop payments as I would need it all year round at home and away and for that reason I can’t justify the extra amount per month from my small income…🤔

I'm sure you could knock a fiver or more off the mobile, Lebara on Vodafone or if you need O2, what do Virgin /O2 offer to new customers?

Might not tip the balance but every little helps!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I'm sure you could knock a fiver or more off the mobile, Lebara on Vodafone or if you need O2, what do Virgin /O2 offer to new customers?

Might not tip the balance but every little helps!

I actually did an experiment the other day and as I don’t watch much tv but only through Wi-Fi… I turned off the broadband and hot spotted to my phone. Now during the day I only listen to music on the Alexa and doing stuff on the iPad so not much data, but I did connect my fire sticks lounge and bedroom ones and they both streamed ok.

I did this for a few days and all was well despite only having 2-3 bars on 4g through Tesco (o2) this was watching tv through the firestick during the evening when most others are home and using in the area and it was still good so I may cancel the broadband altogether and up my Tesco contract to unlimited at £20 a month, and that’ll probably do my abroad trips too..

So at the moment starlink will have to come down a fair bit in price to temp me….🤔

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I actually did an experiment the other day and as I don’t watch much tv but only through Wi-Fi… I turned off the broadband and hot spotted to my phone. Now during the day I only listen to music on the Alexa and doing stuff on the iPad so not much data, but I did connect my fire sticks lounge and bedroom ones and they both streamed ok.

I did this for a few days and all was well despite only having 2-3 bars on 4g through Tesco (o2) this was watching tv through the firestick during the evening when most others are home and using in the area and it was still good so I may cancel the broadband altogether and up my Tesco contract to unlimited at £20 a month, and that’ll probably do my abroad trips too..

So at the moment starlink will have to come down a fair bit in price to temp me….🤔
For me it's about being able to get a signal. Last year the campsite I'd worked from a lot the last 2 summers didn't open. When I saw the Starlink offer I went for it so I could spend the summer in a campsite that had always been off limits for work because of the poor 4g signal. You only need to be able to see the sky and I've yet to find an underground campsite :ROFLMAO:
Couldn't get a tv signal there either but can happily stream whatever I want too now.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

Thers an Aussie guy on youtube who has done this (well, very similar as its through his sunroof from memory) with his Gen 2, aswell as converting it to 12v - not sure i like his method of spraying everything/

i did manage it through our motorhome roof light, but as i hadnt stripped it down (removed the motor etc), it was a real pain BUT it worked even if just temporarily.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back