Rescue Dogs (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
This is my post copied from a previous thread about dog adoption...

So this is my latest attempt at adopting a rescue dog.

This is the information they requested from me:

Name

D.O.B

Address-
Is it a house or bungalow? If so detached, semi or terrace?

How many bedrooms?

Is it a new build with thin walls? This might unsettle the dog if they hear noises from next door.

If it is a flat we cannot let you adopt from us. Sorry.

Is your home owned or rented? If rented we will need to see proof that you can have a dog

Phone number

Email

Have you any plans to move in the next 12 months?

Link to your Facebook page (you must have Facebook to adopt from us)

Partner's name & DoB (if applicable)

Names and DoB of any other adults living at the home

Does any adult or child have medical issues that might cause problems with looking after a dog?

Children with ages, incl. frequently visiting children (if applicable)

Please specify if they live with you or are visitors and how often they visit

What dogs/cats have you owned in the past and lived in your house as family pets while you were an adult?

Were any of them rescues?

Please only mention dogs that were yours and not family dogs that your parents were responsible for.

Any current dogs/cats/rabbits?

Please give ages and gender of the dogs. Are the dogs neutered? If not, why not?

No need to mention other pets

Do you work?

If so, please state what you do and please give details about hours/ shift patterns.

This is very important. If you do not work from home, please be realistic and include travel time.

If you are ‘working from home’ is this permanent or just during the virus?

Does your partner work?

If so, please state what they do and please give details about hours/ shift patterns.

This is very important. If they do not work from home, please be realistic and include travel time.

If they are ‘working from home’ is this permanent or just during the virus?

If you plan to work from home forever we will need written proof from your employer and if we offer you home check. Obviously not if you are self employed and already work from home.

Would the dog be left longer than 2 hours without human company?

If so, what provisions can you make?

What provisions will you make initially if the answer is yes?

Our dogs are rarely trained, this includes house training. Have you thought about how you might train a dog? Please elaborate.

Dogs bark – some bark a lot. Have you considered this if you have neighbours? Please elaborate

What brand of food do you plan to feed the dog? Obviously it is not possible to feed the dog what it ate at Last Chance Rescue as it is only available in Romania.
This is a VERY important question and tells us how much you know/are prepared to research about dog nutrition.

Dogs need regular exercise. Tell us about what you like to do as a family and how you might involve a dog.

Do you have a garden or yard? Please state which and approx size. Is it secure? Please state if you have fences, walls or hedges and what height.

We require a secure private garden. You cannot adopt from us if you don’t have a secure private garden.

Which pet insurance company do you plan to use. If you are not going to insure the dog, how will you deal with unexpected vets’ bills?

What do you expect from the first 3 weeks with your new dog?

Your dog will likely be nervous or anxious. Have you thought about what you might do to help them?

Currently we have a lot of interest in our dogs and far more people wanting to adopt than we have dogs. Why should we choose you and your family?

This is all the information I got from them about the dog I was interested in:

Collie type/size

Never met a cat.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Having recently had to say goodbye to one of our dogs, we now have the opportunity to provide a home to another rescue dog.
I can’t believe the hoops and interrogations we have to go through, and the last rescue centre we used now charges £550 fee, admittedly that includes a passport.
On top of all that, my age, 78, definitely counts against me.
Has anyone else had a problem getting a rescue? I might add that we’ve had multiple rescues for over 40 years
We would dearly love to have another dog after loosing our much loved rescue one last year. However, at age 71 we think that it would be unfair on a dog, unless it was a very old one, to potentially leave it homeless should we pass away as we have no one who would give it a home. Also caring for a dog as we age and are not as fit as we once were would not be easy. Of course, if you have the ability to look after it properly and have someone who would give it a home should you pass away then go for it and good luck, if not I would urge you to think very carefully about the future of both yourself and the dog.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Our daughter tried to look for a rescue dog but if you have any children they must be above the age of eight and it is preferred you already own a dog so it has company. There may be good reasons for this but this precludes them.

They are now awaiting the arrival of a red fox labrador puppy in a couple of weeks’ time from a new litter.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp

Name

D.O.B

Address-

How many bedrooms?

Is it a new build with thin walls? This might unsettle the dog if they hear noises from next door.

Is your home owned or rented? If rented we will need to see proof that you can have a dog

Phone number

Email

Does any adult or child have medical issues that might cause problems with looking after a dog?

What dogs/cats have you owned in the past and lived in your house as family pets while you were an adult?

Please only mention dogs that were yours and not family dogs that your parents were responsible for.

Please give ages and gender of the dogs. Are the dogs neutered? If not, why not?

Do you work?

If so, please state what you do and please give details about hours/ shift patterns.

This is very important. If you do not work from home, please be realistic and include travel time.

Does your partner work?

If so, please state what they do and please give details about hours/ shift patterns.

This is very important. If they do not work from home, please be realistic and include travel time.

If you plan to work from home forever we will need written proof from your employer and if we offer you home check. Obviously not if you are self employed and already work from home.

Our dogs are rarely trained, this includes house training. Have you thought about how you might train a dog? Please elaborate.

Dogs bark – some bark a lot. Have you considered this if you have neighbours? Please elaborate

What brand of food do you plan to feed the dog? Obviously it is not possible to feed the dog what it ate at Last Chance Rescue as it is only available in Romania.
This is a VERY important question and tells us how much you know/are prepared to research about dog nutrition.

Dogs need regular exercise. Tell us about what you like to do as a family and how you might involve a dog.

Do you have a garden or yard? Please state which and approx size. Is it secure? Please state if you have fences, walls or hedges and what height.

We require a secure private garden. You cannot adopt from us if you don’t have a secure private garden.

Which pet insurance company do you plan to use. If you are not going to insure the dog, how will you deal with unexpected vets’ bills?

Your dog will likely be nervous or anxious. Have you thought about what you might do to help them?

Currently we have a lot of interest in our dogs and far more people wanting to adopt than we have dogs. Why should we choose you and your family?

Collie type/size

Never met a cat.
Did you put your kidney, liver and spleen on ice when you sent them for analysis, or did they insist on removing them personally 😳

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have had our rescued Patterdale Charlie for two weeks now a lovely little chap at 15 months old we got him from RSPCA and the asked £150 a bargain😊
IMG_5091.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

daveclare

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
We paid £250 for a rescue bull terrier 15 years ago. There was interview and forms to be filled.

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
Some of the questions seem ridiculous to the average person, but we had people turn up tondo training with their dogs and their treats of choice were digestives.
It's the liability vs "can you care for this dog" element which makes it seem tedious.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Name

D.O.B

Address-

How many bedrooms?

Phone number

Email

Do you work?

Does your partner work?

Collie type/size

Never met a cat.
No wonder they have problems getting dogs adopted looks like they have ruled out 90% of the population.

"You must have facebook" that's plain stupid, unless its so the dog can keep in touch with its mates at the centre. :LOL:

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We would dearly love to have another dog after loosing our much loved rescue one last year. However, at age 71 we think that it would be unfair on a dog, unless it was a very old one, to potentially leave it homeless should we pass away as we have no one who would give it a home. Also caring for a dog as we age and are not as fit as we once were would not be easy. Of course, if you have the ability to look after it properly and have someone who would give it a home should you pass away then go for it and good luck, if not I would urge you to think very carefully about the future of both yourself and the dog.
There is a ‘special seniors’ dog section on dogsblog…… (y)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
A relative adopted a street dog from Romania. Alas she ended up having it euthanised as it was impossible to rehabilitate and bit several people.

I also find it ludicrous that there are people going out in vans and collecting them from abroad when kennels are full in the UK.

We did try and get a rescue, alas none of them would let us as we have children so we ended up getting puppies.

Lyra was from a gypsy site, which we only realised after we turned up to see her.

20230519_133117394_ios-jpeg.765290

She wasn’t in great condition, full of worms and very thin. That said, she was with Mom and Dad who were family pets and was chipped with all the correct paperwork so she came home with us.

The amount of Malinois type in rescue is awful, until you have one, you don’t realise how nuts they are. She does take a lot of handling and can run for miles and miles without slowing or tiring. Her prey drive though is dreadful and if a squirrel or cat comes into view she turns into Satan! She sees a behaviourist on a regular basis so we get it right.

The other dog we have has just cost a £1000 for a wound on her chest, on top of all the other things, they cost a fortune. People don’t realise when they decide to get one, which is why the rescues are so full.

20230519_133117394_iOS.jpeg

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
My neighbour has acquired a dangerous dog from a back street breeder
With little regard to the safety of not only their neighbours - it has tried to attack me in my own garden luckily I was near the kitchen door or what it could have done is terrifying
Gone for a number of other dogs including a retired guide dog
They are happy to let it be around their children
I let as many people know as possible as when the it does attack they cannot claim they did not know it was dangerous

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i

Name

D.O.B

Address-

How many bedrooms?

Phone number

Email

Do you work?

Does your partner work?

Collie type/size

Never met a cat.
Unfortunately that just about sums up the whole situation with dog rescue centres. When in Europe our dogs happily eat whatever we buy locally, although I do appreciate some dogs are fussy eaters.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We are pleased to inform you that application was successful,however,and finally in order to meet U.K. balmpot criteria would inform us what Gender you are and why in less than 1000words and more than 100words.😂😂😂

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A relative adopted a street dog from Romania. Alas she ended up having it euthanised as it was impossible to rehabilitate and bit several people.
A neighbor did that gave it back after a week, didn't bite anyone but it was uncontrollable could let it in the same room as her dog. I think the attraction was only £150 against £500 from Dogs Trust.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
A neighbor did that gave it back after a week, didn't bite anyone but it was uncontrollable could let it in the same room as her dog. I think the attraction was only £150 against £500 from Dogs Trust.
A street dog will probably always be a street dog. I am amazed they think they are doing the animals a favour rescuing them.

Squeak

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Having recently had to say goodbye to one of our dogs, we now have the opportunity to provide a home to another rescue dog.
I can’t believe the hoops and interrogations we have to go through, and the last rescue centre we used now charges £550 fee, admittedly that includes a passport.
Has anyone else had a problem getting a rescue? I might add that we’ve had multiple rescues for over 40 years
I got 2 rescues, one about 3yrs ago & the other about a yr & a half ago from dogs trust. The last one cost me £150. These are English dogs not foreign rescues.

Jun 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
There are plenty of needy dogs wandering the streets that would love a home and care but they won’t be a fancy breed.
Go into a town or city plenty of beggars with dogs trying to get a few more coppers in their coffee cups,offer them £50 for the dog l should imagine they will snatch your hand off.
I don’t think any dog lover would part with their best four legged friend, beggar or otherwise,for money let alone snatch your hand off.

SWW

Oct 12, 2010
Funster No
It is horses for courses. I have had dogs all my life even bringing one back from Sabah Malaysia after a posting there in the 70s. We have had rescue dogs but we have had puppies since having grand children. With a rescue there was a risk of nervousness and unpredictability which worried us with grandchildren crawling about. We have our dogs with us at all times and if we go before them they will go to one of our dog owning children. The kennel where the Cairn came from will allow elderly folk to buy with the proviso that the dog return to them if anything happens to the owner.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Buzz the Psycho Dog was advertised on Preloved the day that I finally decided to take the plunge after losing my 16 year old Cocker Spaniel.

At 10 months old and with a history of killing free-range chickens next door, he was only 12 miles away and I paid £150 for him.

He is now 8 years old and still a handful but he was meant to come to me. Yesterday he jumped through the cab window that I had forgotten to shut and chased the rabbits on the campsite until I finally caught up with him. 🤣

Preloved and Gumtree have a lot of dogs available and, if you are not too bothered by their past, they will be much easier to adopt.

This is his ‘feed me cheese or I will tear up a tissue’ look 😂

IMG_1669.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elldis Autoquest
Exp
Vet fee though the roof . Just had major surgery on our dog big bill .Then three weeks later she had a stroke another bill to have her put to sleep .Just will not have another
to much money for us on limited income

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Please search lost paws Cyprus, they have dogs in foster in the Uk and I am sure they will find you a perfect pal x

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Maybe offering to volunteer as a Foster/dog could be a route to adopting
Makes no difference to their silly rules.
The couple who lived opposite us used to have the rescue dogs fostered in with their dogs at home so the dogs could be assessed how they were with life and other dogs. Did this for many years for the dog charity. Then they had one they wanted, and asked to become the owner of it. They were refused for a few reasons such as no 6 foot fence and other stupid stuff.

In my experience pick what bread you want and join their Facebook page, wait until someone gets one and realises it’s not for them, and wants to rehome it.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
There is a ‘special seniors’ dog section on dogsblog…… (y)

Thank you, we would love one but its just not practical for the reasons I outlined.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sadly for every rescue dog imported from abroad many many more get killed in this country by the likes of the RSPCA. 7 days after arrival they leave via the back door and a needle to the skip. Thousands and thousands of healthy dogs murdered every single year because they are not the right breed or deemed unadoptable due to no interest in rehoming them.

It is a disgusting fact of life for unwanted dogs in the UK. When I worked in the rescue we refused to take in dogs from overseas. Doing so just perpetuates the problem and dogs remain a disposable fashion accessory in the likes of Ireland and a result of no value to dogs in Romania, Greece, Turkey and many more places.

Demanding £500 to allow a family to adopt a dog is just so very wrong. By all means suggest a donation to help the rescue to continue it's essential work. Tell the adopting family what the average dog costs the rescue with kennelling, vet care and neutering

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Sadly for every rescue dog imported from abroad many many more get killed in this country by the likes of the RSPCA. 7 days after arrival they leave via the back door and a needle to the skip. Thousands and thousands of healthy dogs murdered every single year because they are not the right breed or deemed unadoptable due to no interest in rehoming them.

It is a disgusting fact of life for unwanted dogs in the UK. When I worked in the rescue we refused to take in dogs from overseas. Doing so just perpetuates the problem and dogs remain a disposable fashion accessory in the likes of Ireland and a result of no value to dogs in Romania, Greece, Turkey and many more places.

Demanding £500 to allow a family to adopt a dog is just so very wrong. By all means suggest a donation to help the rescue to continue it's essential work. Tell the adopting family what the average dog costs the rescue with kennelling, vet care and neutering
I agree wholeheartedly!

There is a rescue centre in South Wales, Many Tears, who take in a lot of ex-breeding bitches from puppy farms mainly in Ireland. I have very mixed feelings about this ‘trade’ - are we perpetuating the problem by finding homes for these unwanted dogs or saving them from a much worse fate?

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
We were in the same situation last year: despite many year’s experience of adopting (older) rescue border collies it was almost impossible to find a suitable collie - either the fact that we are in our mid seventies was a problem, there were exorbitant fees or all the dogs were very young and unsocialised so that we would not cope. In the end we went through the ‘oldies club’ website that helps rehome older dogs from around the country and found our Heidi. She is a 10 year old “Heinz 57” rehomed from the Nirina shelter in Bosnia and is gorgeous. We have had her 6 weeks now and she is settling in well with no behaviour issues at all. We have yet to try her in the Moho as we are in the process of selling it but she has adapted so well so far that we don’t expect any problems. All I can say is good luck and advise you to persevere.
cde10760-afbc-4a59-aa68-4730f22e71f7.jpeg

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The RSPCA told us when we got Charlie the fee was to cover veterinary fees etc and to be honest £150 won’t cover very much we just took him for his second vaccination and tick and worming came to £124 so we gave RSPCA a bit more. We thought is was well worth it when you look at the prices charged for puppies these days?🤔😊

Furry Paws

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily Bus
Exp
Since 2015
I run Furry Paws Sanctuary Support and have 2 Fur Babies here with me one that I brought back from Morocco and one adopted locally to save him being PTS! If I can help you find another one maybe from our rescue in Tangier just let me know know how agile you still are, maybe a dog that sleeps a lot and doesn't like a lot of walks LOL. my email if its allowed is yeo2021@furrypaws.co and I will see what I can do to help!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back