Rescue Dogs (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Having recently had to say goodbye to one of our dogs, we now have the opportunity to provide a home to another rescue dog.
I can’t believe the hoops and interrogations we have to go through, and the last rescue centre we used now charges £550 fee, admittedly that includes a passport.
On top of all that, my age, 78, definitely counts against me.
Has anyone else had a problem getting a rescue? I might add that we’ve had multiple rescues for over 40 years

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
My better half worked in dog rescue for 3 years, think their fee (11 years ago) was around £120 but for this thr dog was neutered and flee'd/wormed and vaccinated, plus the ongoing support from the centre.

There are a number of hoops to jump through as you rightly say, it is stressful for all involved if the wrong dog is matched to the wrong person. They should look at your lifestyle, how active you are, your ability to cope with a strong dog, etc. And offer you some suggestions. I would not rush this process and keep an open mind, it will work out better for you and your new friend.

I volunteered there for a while and met some lovely people and there were so many happy stories, it goes wrong when the process is rushed.

Good luck!

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Yes unfortunately it's a right hassle to adopt a dog now. I've struggled with both UK and abroad rescue centres.

Kinda gave up in the end.

I full time in my van so that puts people off straight away. I also park outside my work in the middle of nowhere, a non working farm with fields all around, fogs love it. Alas, that means I don't have a 6ft fenced garden so another box crossed instead of ticked.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thankyou for recycling your new family member. What I can say is that all rescue organisations are different, however all are in financial difficulty at the moment. So many puppies bought over lockdown are now flooding the rescues.

Rather than a big national charity, why not investigate smaller local ones that generally have lower operating costs. Then you are not funding directors and staff in your adoption fee.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We have had four rescue dogs so far and the process this time was vastly different.
They wanted lots of details about our personal life style and were we lived. Next they wanted a video of our garden and proof of how high the fence was.
We were asked to make a donation to the animal sanctuary of £250 . We did get food for him and his bedding. He did have medical problems before we took him home so they paid for medical follow up treatment.
This was just as the travel restrictions were lifted during the pandemic and they had rescue dogs from abroad, Romania in our case so I think they were glad to re home the dogs they had.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I don’t object in principle to a fee, I just think that £550 is excessive. All other things being equal, we would like two more dogs, we’ve had 3 more often than not, but not at £1000+. Although that sort of fee confirms somebody is serious about adopting a dog, it must reduce the potential number of adoptees quite significantly.
My main gripe is the hoops, especially when they seem to be set by people with limited knowledge of dogs.

Apr 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
Herald 400RL
I don’t object in principle to a fee, I just think that £550 is excessive. All other things being equal, we would like two more dogs, we’ve had 3 more often than not, but not at £1000+. Although that sort of fee confirms somebody is serious about adopting a dog, it must reduce the potential number of adoptees quite significantly.
My main gripe is the hoops, especially when they seem to be set by people with limited knowledge of dogs.
There will be some rules set for the dogs, and others by those thinking about liability...

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Millie had her 9 months, she is 13
06.jpg

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Our son adopted an abandoned (local) pup @ 12 weeks. Kennel had him and his brother for 2 nights. £500 each.

They also fetch in numbers from other countries including Romania.

20230601_213430.jpg

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
whilst its lovely to give a rescue dog a forever home, have had a few myself, i don't understand why dogs are brought here from abroad..
surely there are many, many dogs here in uk needing homes already..
or are these type of rescue places more a business than a rescue centre?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We fulltime and Wood Green put up no objections years ago when we adopted Gina, I think this time they may have let us have another one but because of space we wanted a small dog, and they never had a ‘suitable’ one in!
All the other Charities said ‘no secure garden-no dog’.
The fees most of them charge is high as well.
So we bought a puppy, their loss!
The recent trend of bringing in dogs from abroad is (in my books) ridiculous, we have so many homeless dogs here, why bring more into the country!?

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I would question what the 'passport' is that they are providing,no such thing as a UK pet passport since B****t. Unless of course they can supply an EU one 🤔
It's always an EU one for EU dogs, our last one was Greek

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
There are plenty of needy dogs wandering the streets that would love a home and care but they won’t be a fancy breed.
Go into a town or city plenty of beggars with dogs trying to get a few more coppers in their coffee cups,offer them £50 for the dog l should imagine they will snatch your hand off.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
whilst its lovely to give a rescue dog a forever home, have had a few myself, i don't understand why dogs are brought here from abroad..
surely there are many, many dogs here in uk needing homes already..
or are these type of rescue places more a business than a rescue centre?
I often think that but I like to.think.it is kind hearted people trying to save street dogs.we don't get that issue here -yet
Maybe offering to volunteer as a Foster/dog could be a route to adopting

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Someone near us took over a pedigree dog that was used to show and breed. Once they reach a certain age some owners no longer want them they want to show the next generation. It's a really nice Tibetan terrior I think it was free.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I believe that in Ireland a lot of homes euthanise dogs after a certain period of time. In those cases I wouldn’t criticise people who bring those dogs to the UK. I would assume the same risks apply to Eastern European countries as well.
I personally think commercial breeders bringing more dogs into the world for monetary gain should be very highly taxed and the extra tax ringfenced for dog/animal welfare

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
6 years ago when I was looking for a dog, the "rescue" centres made it too difficult, too many hurdles, it was if they didn't actually want to re-home any of their "stock", just use them to generate more donations (I'm sure that wasn't the case but it felt like it)... So I went via the Rescue Greyhound route... So much more pragmatic & realistic.

I'm glad I did, I think Kerry is too

20230529_163322_copy_600x1067.jpg

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We tried several times to get a rescue, but we're not successful, too many rules. We got our dogs from 🤞 responsible breeders, apart from one which we bought from travelers. She was the best dog we ever had, but I wish we had not bought her from them.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Another vote here for retired greyhounds.
They are a low energy dog and spend most of their day sleeping…and the Trust has a very pragmatic approach to re homing. We are on Hounds 3 and 4.

Nanniemate suggestion of fostering is a great idea, and would be a good way of “proving” yourself (again🤦🏼) to the rescue charity.

link attached for greyhounds 😍

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Have a look at
dogsblog.com

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Feb 11, 2014
Canals
Funster No
MH
Burstner T727
Exp
We bought of MOHO in January of this year in Valencia, Spain. My wife decided to name it Burtie the Burstner.
In March we were visiting friends in Murcia and they mentioned that there was a dog up for adoption somewhere close, so we set off and visited Noahs Ark rescue and was introduced to Bertie the Ratonero Bodeguero Andalucian. He is 11years old, has Leishmania(in Remission), has an enlarge heart with a murmur, a broken left Ulna which has not healed properly but vet states its not worrying him in any way and two Hernias but apart from that he is perfect. We made a donation of e100 to the recue centre and drove away with him. He was fully vaccinated, castrated and passported.
We are both 69 years old, live 6 months in Spain during the winter(no Garden),travel north to the Netherlands in the summer to live on our Dutch Barge and in-between we spend time on our Motorhome.
This pooch is having a whale of a time.
Bertie.jpg

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
We bought of MOHO in January of this year in Valencia, Spain. My wife decided to name it Burtie the Burstner.
In March we were visiting friends in Murcia and they mentioned that there was a dog up for adoption somewhere close, so we set off and visited Noahs Ark rescue and was introduced to Bertie the Ratonero Bodeguero Andalucian. He is 11years old, has Leishmania(in Remission), has an enlarge heart with a murmur, a broken left Ulna which has not healed properly but vet states its not worrying him in any way and two Hernias but apart from that he is perfect. We made a donation of e100 to the recue centre and drove away with him. He was fully vaccinated, castrated and passported.
We are both 69 years old, live 6 months in Spain during the winter(no Garden),travel north to the Netherlands in the summer to live on our Dutch Barge and in-between we spend time on our Motorhome.
This pooch is having a whale of a time.
View attachment 765141
Lucky pooch suits you and your lifestyle

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back