LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We are currently in Murcia, Spain. TV was on Intelsat 907 this morning and all was well. Came back this evening and the dish won’t lock onto it. Read some comments about others in the area who are residents losing reception. It has been rumoured for sometime that this was going to happen as the back up system was detected on another satellite, unfortunately it has a very narrow U.K. Beam. I fear this could be the end of an era as far as satellite viewing in mainland Europe goes. We have switched to Starlink but find all the apps etc very clunky. I prefer a simple up and down on the remote for the main 5 channels.
Anyone else having issues, be good to hear it’s just me!

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
That explains why I witnessed a Brit van with a continuously spinning dish this evening… he looked pretty flustered so I didn’t bother going over… now I know why! 🤣
Yep, looks like it has been switched off, lots of comments on the Intelsat 907 Facebook page. We live in hope. Need to find an app or something that lets me watch TV via the internet like watching normal TV. Coming in and out of apps to change channels is too much of a faff.

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
I thought they changed to 901 a few years ago and 907 was going out of service.
You’re right Lenny, but my Oyster system still searches for 907. Whichever one it is it looks very much like it was switched off yesterday. Tried it again this morning with the hope it was back on, unfortunately not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Can the Oyster control box be reprogrammed to 901, or won't UK programmes be transmitted on that frequency?

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
The satellite was due to retire in 2019 but they managed to extend its live by another 5yrs so it sounds about right .

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
Here in the southwestern UK - it was working fine last week, when I used / checked it
unfortunately this morning, same location, prompted by the above postings- the dish is going around in circles looking to lock on :cry::cry:

something is clearly amiss
hopefully, 'satellite guy' or Anthony@ Oyster SatTech will be along later to clarify matters / "put us out of our misery"

it was very useful, while it lasted (y)(y)

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
All I can confirm is there is currently no signal for the UK TV channels on that satellite.

Either a temporary "blip" (it has been off for a few days in the past before returning), or indeed the service has been discontinued on that particular satellite (as the satellite is coming to its end of life, even when it was expected by 5 years by a "tug" or MEV). Coincidence it happened on the last day of the financial year for accounting / contractual purposes....?

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
All I can confirm is there is currently no signal for the UK TV channels on that satellite.

Either a temporary "blip" (it has been off for a few days in the past before returning), or indeed the service has been discontinued on that particular satellite (as the satellite is coming to its end of life, even when it was expected by 5 years by a "tug" or MEV). Coincidence it happened on the last day of the financial year for accounting / contractual purposes....?

Many thanks
will keep an eye on this thread and will try / check it again next week
(was always nice to have when we "got beyond the Astra / Sky footprint" during the winters)

(coincidentally - dish just finished auto searching and "put itself to bed")

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You'll look back in a month or 2 and realise they've done you a solid 😉

It's 2024 now, why would you want to hang a big power hungry screen in your van and watch content that some woke busy body deems correct. 😉😜

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Sat feed spotters (numerous sources) are listing that they are transmitting the Satback service on Telstar @15W which is on the North Sea beam. In theory that is receivable on a 60cm dish ... however the beam drops off like a cliff going across Spain if the official footprint is correct.
I will be dusting off my spectrum analyser and getting a dish out to check later if the rain keeps away.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 10.01.06.png
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 10.02.22.png

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Sat feed spotters (numerous sources) are listing that they are transmitting the Satback service on Telstar @15W which is on the North Sea beam. In theory that is receivable on a 60cm dish ... however the beam drops off like a cliff going across Spain if the official footprint is correct.
I will be dusting off my spectrum analyser and getting a dish out to check later if the rain keeps away.
View attachment 882765View attachment 882766
If it is Benidorm looks a no no 😔

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
If it is Benidorm looks a no no 😔

View attachment 882765View attachment 882766
It has been transmitted from Telstar 15W since the start of January this year. Many were suggesting when this was detected it could be a switch from Intelsat. The beam is very narrow and no good to most of us who use in Spain, it appears to be using the same BISS codes. Let’s just hope we are putting 2+2 =6 and Intelsat is back on soon….doubt it.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
If you have starlink I'd really consider firestick with an IPTV subscription. Not entirely legal of course but it certainly ticks all boxes for having all TV channels in one place.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
It has been transmitted from Telstar 15W since the start of January this year. Many were suggesting when this was detected it could be a switch from Intelsat. The beam is very narrow and no good to most of us who use in Spain, it appears to be using the same BISS codes. Let’s just hope we are putting 2+2 =6 and Intelsat is back on soon….doubt it.
Its not only a narrow "north sea" beam, but it is batting the "west med" beam from the same satellite, which is more powerful over Spain and southern France, and which knocks out the signals from the "north sea" beam.
So you cannot really use just this predicted reception map on its own, you need to overlay the "west med" map also and see how it overlaps, and thus overpowers the North sea beam.

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
If you have starlink I'd really consider firestick with an IPTV subscription. Not entirely legal of course but it certainly ticks all boxes for having all TV channels in one place.
We have Starlink and use a legal IPTV subscription. If only it would allow us to add favourites so you can channel hop with ease. To change from BBC1 to ITV you need to scroll through all the regional alternatives. Intelsat, a simple click up and down. I do hope it comes back

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Not entirely legal of course but it certainly ticks all boxes for having all TV channels in one place.

Viewing in southern Spain via satellite wasn’t entirely legal either. 😎

Ian

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base

Ian
Is that not allowed? Broadcasting rights or something I presume, or are there some inter-galactic space laws being broken? That'd be cool.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None

Ian
Its totally legal.
You can watch any free to air satellite channel (and any satellite pay channel that you legally subscribe to) you can receive on your satellite dish from any country totally legal in Spain and any other EU country.
As long as you abide by the "tv tax / licensing" laws for the country you are in.
And as Spain has no TV tax, nothing to pay to legally watch TV from other countries that you can receive via satellite.
So totally legal to watch UK TV via satellite here in Spain, especially via Astra 2 (eg Freesat and Sky)

But yes true, having the "special box" to hack into the encrypted Intelsat feeds could be "questionable". But people ignore this so they can get their daily dose of Corrie.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Its totally legal.
You can watch any free to air satellite channel (and any satellite pay channel that you legally subscribe to) you can receive on your satellite dish from any country totally legal in Spain and any other EU country.

I’m pleased to hear that. I, obviously mistakenly, understood that as soon as you used an icecrypt box to decode scrambled channels that that was illegal.

Anyway, it’s bl**dy annoying that UK terrestrial companies won’t permit you to watch channels on their Apps when overseas.🤷‍♂️

Ian

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I, obviously mistakenly, understood that as soon as you used an icecrypt box to decode scrambled channels that that was illegal.
It is.
But I did not say otherwise.
I said "any free to air satellite channel (and any satellite pay channel that you legally subscribe to)". The channels on intelsat were encrypted, so not free to air.

Anyway, it’s bl**dy annoying that UK terrestrial companies won’t permit you to watch channels on their Apps when overseas.🤷‍♂️
Blame the rights holders for selling content to other broadcasters around the world that do the blocking for country exclusivity - and more money. Not the broadcasters, who are just adhering to their contracts

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back