Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
One option to get your UK TV back when around Europe would be to use the Kabelio satellite TV service from Switzerland. This pay package includes all the main UK TV channels ( BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC 4, ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, Channel 4, Channel 5). Reception is easy in Spain and Portugal as it has good coverage from the Hotbird / Eutelsat at 13°E. Although getting a viewing card could be tricky as these are generally only assigned to Swiss addresses.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We have Starlink and use a legal IPTV subscription. If only it would allow us to add favourites so you can channel hop with ease. To change from BBC1 to ITV you need to scroll through all the regional alternatives. Intelsat, a simple click up and down. I do hope it comes back
I use Tivimate with an IPTV subscription and it allows you to save Favs so they can be accessed easily, way to many channels to not have a list of favs as it would take ages to find the one i want although the voice search is pretty good on tivimate as well to be honest.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
One option to get your UK TV back when around Europe would be to use the Kabelio satellite TV service from Switzerland. This pay package includes all the main UK TV channels ( BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC 4, ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, Channel 4, Channel 5). Reception is easy in Spain and Portugal as it has good coverage from the Hotbird / Eutelsat at 13°E. Although getting a viewing card could be tricky as these are generally only assigned to Swiss addresses.
Can you obtain these viewing cards on our behalf? 😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Tried again at 19:30hrs and nothing😩
Been monitoring data usage, not that it matters as we are on Starlink, but anyone using a SIM would certainly needed unlimited data as ITVX used 3GB in 1 hours viewing.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Its not only a narrow "north sea" beam, but it is batting the "west med" beam from the same satellite, which is more powerful over Spain and southern France, and which knocks out the signals from the "north sea" beam.
So you cannot really use just this predicted reception map on its own, you need to overlay the "west med" map also and see how it overlaps, and thus overpowers the North sea beam.
I understand what you are saying but no other transponders are transmitting frequencies on that bird anywhere near the Satback transmission freq. The flooding with signal logic would be like saying the multiple transponders on 28E are blocking 19E in the Uk as 28E is more powerful here. Or even the UK spot beam on 28E would take out the euro beam on 28E as it is stronger.
I guess we need dishes on the ground testing around Spain etc to see what is the true footprint and Eirp level, until then we really don't know.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Tried again at 19:30hrs and nothing😩
Been monitoring data usage, not that it matters as we are on Starlink, but anyone using a SIM would certainly needed unlimited data as ITVX used 3GB in 1 hours viewing.
ITVX is a right pain last year I watched the Moto GP highlights only an hour 5GB gone.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
On a IPTV type we used to use you could save favorites for channels also on a firestick you can reduce the amount of data you are using in order to get the data usage down to 1gb per hour depending on the quality of the transmission if you watch in 4k or 5k it will gobble your data.
Plus all the IPTV ect are apps you can download to your smart tv as a app no need for a firestick or even to a tablet or smartphone and cast to your tv.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Let’s hope Project Kuipe isn’t too far away to provide some competition for Starlink. Maybe then we’ll see a reduction in the monthly subscription.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I understand what you are saying but no other transponders are transmitting frequencies on that bird anywhere near the Satback transmission freq. The flooding with signal logic would be like saying the multiple transponders on 28E are blocking 19E in the Uk as 28E is more powerful here. Or even the UK spot beam on 28E would take out the euro beam on 28E as it is stronger.
It does not need to be transmitting channels, which the sat websites show, just transmitting something - kind of like jamming.

Check out the thread here for more info and tech info and transponder graphs : https://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/telstar-12-vantage.179685/ . There is a link to a polish site where they notice that "The North Sea beam has a power of 56 dBW in western Germany, but in western Poland it is below 50 dBW. The signal weakens even more the further east you go. An additional problem is created by interference from data transmission at 11.014V (SR: 107140, FEC: 3/4; DVB-S2X/8PSK) in the Med Central beam , in which Poland is covered with the main coverage zone of 57 dBW. Due to this, the BBC SatBack package is even beyond the range of 180-210 cm antennas in western Poland." - which is not found on the usual satellite listing websites.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stewartwebr

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Let’s hope Project Kuipe isn’t too far away to provide some competition for Starlink. Maybe then we’ll see a reduction in the monthly subscription.
I really don’t think it’s hugely expensive in comparison to data SIM deals if you are able to have it delivered to a mainland Europe address. Current deal is €250 for hardwear and €59 a month.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
It does not need to be transmitting channels, which the sat websites show, just transmitting something - kind of like jamming.

Check out the thread here for more info and tech info and transponder graphs : https://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/telstar-12-vantage.179685/ . There is a link to a polish site where they notice that "The North Sea beam has a power of 56 dBW in western Germany, but in western Poland it is below 50 dBW. The signal weakens even more the further east you go. An additional problem is created by interference from data transmission at 11.014V (SR: 107140, FEC: 3/4; DVB-S2X/8PSK) in the Med Central beam , in which Poland is covered with the main coverage zone of 57 dBW. Due to this, the BBC SatBack package is even beyond the range of 180-210 cm antennas in western Poland." - which is not found on the usual satellite listing websites.
Hi and thanks for the link. I read the whole 9 pages and it took me back in time to when the bulletin boards had all the sat chat on them..... they were arguing then about reception of certain channels and a 90cm dish picking up everything a 1.8m could :cool:
On transponders the signal does indeed drop off a cliff out of the footprint, this would tie up with the postings on the group saying Eastern Poland gets nothing as the footprint doesn't reach much of Poland if the published propagation map / footprint is correct. As you know if you are outside of the footprint even whacking up a huge dish won't get you a signal, apart from some anomalies where you can pick up the signal out of the zone intended.
As far as interference goes I respectfully don't agree on it being able to jam or decrease the signal. Much more likely is that it is secondary reflection on the dish from an adjacent satellite transmitting on the same or very close frequency to the one being attempted to be received. I had it many times over the years on some bigger dishes getting a "splash" of transponders on the spectrum screen before really seeing the bird I was looking for.
Until people have tried to get Satback on Telstar in various areas we won't know for sure, but I reckon the footprint map will be pretty close so no signal in the East or South of Spain.... which is less than good for some of us.
I found these a few days ago as it happens, the big one had some serious secondary reflections. The smaller dish used to be in our car park and all of the LNB's were aligned on a sat and they gave great signal, such is the power of the reflector shape. It was an absolute bugger to set up tho..
Sorry for the poor res on the pictures... I still have that spectrum (24 years old and still working well), had dug it out to hunt for Telstar but wind has stopped play today.

DSCF0082.jpeg

thailand1.jpeg

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
As far as interference goes I respectfully don't agree on it being able to jam or decrease the signal. Much more likely is that it is secondary reflection on the dish from an adjacent satellite transmitting on the same or very close frequency to the one being attempted to be received. I had it many times over the years on some bigger dishes getting a "splash" of transponders on the spectrum screen before really seeing the bird I was looking for.
The principle I say is exactly the same as you say.
Telstar 15W has multiple beams, and frequencies are being reused across those beams (as per the telstar beam frequency use datasheets). Closer beams to your location knocking the weakest beams out... in the same way you say that stronger beams from neighbouring satellites knock out weaker signals.
Same principle. Same outcome.

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
We have Starlink and use a legal IPTV subscription. If only it would allow us to add favourites so you can channel hop with ease. To change from BBC1 to ITV you need to scroll through all the regional alternatives. Intelsat, a simple click up and down. I do hope it comes back
If you go into the IPTV menu (start) it should have channel history, so much quicker or save the channel as a favourite.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
The principle I say is exactly the same as you say.
Telstar 15W has multiple beams, and frequencies are being reused across those beams (as per the telstar beam frequency use datasheets). Closer beams to your location knocking the weakest beams out... in the same way you say that stronger beams from neighbouring satellites knock out weaker signals.
Same principle. Same outcome.
Not quite, neighbouring sats don't knock out weaker signals unless the signal is minuscule in the first instance and therefore not practically receivable, sats generally have a 2 degree + spacing to avoid any overspill on small dishes. And unless I am missing some info the closest transmission to the Satback service @ 11043V (North Sea Spot beam) is 11117V Europe & Middle East Beam. No way will that signal affect the satback service.
As I said I respectfully disagree with you and the proof of the reception pudding will be the reception (or lack of) inside and outside of the claimed footprint.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is that not allowed? Broadcasting rights or something I presume, or are there some inter-galactic space laws being broken? That'd be cool.
A Uk citizen can only legally watch what is transmitted for them Parliament & world affairs.
Its totally legal.
You can watch any free to air satellite channel (and any satellite pay channel that you legally subscribe to) you can receive on your satellite dish from any country totally legal in Spain and any other EU country.
As long as you abide by the "tv tax / licensing" laws for the country you are in.
And as Spain has no TV tax, nothing to pay to legally watch TV from other countries that you can receive via satellite.
So totally legal to watch UK TV via satellite here in Spain, especially via Astra 2 (eg Freesat and Sky)

But yes true, having the "special box" to hack into the encrypted Intelsat feeds could be "questionable". But people ignore this so they can get their daily dose of Corrie.
Yes it is but the offence,for the uK citizen, is in the Uk if they can be prosecuted for it as a licence is required to watch anything. Hardly likely though that they are going to be able to prosecute anyone unless they admit to watching outside the UK?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
with Intelsat 901 gone that’ll be the end of "Corro" and "Emmerdale " the missus was not a happy bunny when I gave her the news .
As I pointed out we will still have SKY tv as many channels are transmitted on the Astra 2 (pan European beam ) which receivable
all over Spain with the correct Sky HD box and viewing card .

jer

Free Member
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
burstner
Has anyone got any advice on registering a Kalebio CI in the UK for use when travelling through Europe? Then I could get UK telly and keep the wife happy.

jer

Free Member
Apr 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
burstner
Has anyone got any advice on registering a Kalebio CI in the UK for use when travelling through Europe? Then I could get UK telly and keep the wife happy.
Sorry should be Kabelio

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
That's what I feared. With Intelsat gone down it's no telly in the motorhome now then when abroad.
Depends where your going in Europe , we could get all the mainstream channels right down to just past Bordeaux on Astra 2 on the west side of France and as far south as Barcelonnette in the east
Belgium and Luxembourg we’re fine for UK tv reception on Astra 2 and down the Mosel valley in Germany was fine
We use an 85cm dish

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Once you have the card / Cam / CI+ (from Amazon / ebay / a supplier) , then would it matter what address you use? Just use one from google maps perhaps?
The Card initially has 3 months for 59 swiss francs then you would need to continue paying a monthly charge
Would they not pick up on the fact if you paid from a uk bank
I dont know ?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
The Card initially has 3 months for 59 swiss francs then you would need to continue paying a monthly charge
I dont know ?
Could you not pay with something like revolute, just a thought 🤔

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I dont know ?
Surely you would just use your secret Swiss Numbered Bank Account?:unsure::whistle2::giggler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back