Fishes! (1 Viewer)

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Clown Loach will be fine in the tank size you have. They are scaleless so medicating can be tricky, for white spot etc. Discus require frequent water changes.
I have some clown loach in a 750 litre 72 inch tank that I have had for more than 25 years, no special treatment required, as long as ph is okay.
They can grow up to 18 inch in length but rarely do so in a tank. Look fantastic in a large shoal.
I've been keeping tropical fish for more than 40 years. North Notts though, otherwise would help you set up etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Simon Select

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Clown Loach will be fine in the tank size you have. They are scaleless so medicating can be tricky, for white spot etc. Discus require frequent water changes.
I have some clown loach in a 750 litre 72 inch tank that I have had for more than 25 years, no special treatment required, as long as ph is okay.
They can grow up to 18 inch in length but rarely do so in a tank. Look fantastic in a large shoal.
I've been keeping tropical fish for more than 40 years. North Notts though, otherwise would help you set up etc.
Happy to put you up once a week! :LOL:

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I have kept tropical fish for over 40 years and through trial and error, I have learnt that the following seems to work..

1. Change at least 30% of the water every week.
2. Use a gravel cleaner to siphon the detrious off the bottom
3. Always use Terta Aquasafe when adding fresh tempered water
4. Use 2 external canister filters ( clean them alternate months.) Provides resilience in case one fails. Same for 2 water heaters ( or use Ehiem thermo filters which have an inbuilt heater)
5. Clownloach like places to rest/hide. ( rocks etc). They are shoaling fish..
6. Discus require good filtration and prefer soft water, but do not like too much water movement. ( use spray bars rather than jet nozzles). They are also very shy and can panic due to lots of movement outside the tank or people rushing up. Many use RO water for their tanks and I used to, but I managed to wean them off RO water and I just use tap water with the tetra aquasafe, however if breeding them, soft RO water will be necessary.
7. Clownloach are brilliant at keeping small snails down
8. Use live plants (with fertiliser and liquid treatments). Glass clean and scrape weekly.
9. Use liquid CO2 to help plant growth ( you can use injected CO2 which if set up correctly really promotes plant growth and colour….but getting the balance right can be challenging and often ends up with Algal blooms.)
10. I have never had problems with Clownloach’s eating larger tetra’s etc. ( I keep them with Rummynose Tatar’s and lots of harlequins
11. Consider a good number of pearl gourami’s, they grow well in large tanks
12. With your large tanks, they would be great with a big shoal of mid tank fish..( ie at least 50…. )
13. You will have to play around with the on/off times of your lighting, particularly given you will have a lot of light from your showroom.
14. I always have a lot of shrimps in my tank as they are part of my clean up crew…great scavengers and fun to watch.
15. Ottocinclus fish are brilliant for new set ups as they live off algae and just beaver away, they are relatively small so can have quite a few.

No doubt you will have your own ideas and am sure they will look great when established. Good luck

OP
OP
Simon Select

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Can we take a moment to send out thoughts to our upside down catfish and our red plec. RIP. We all held a service and it was beautiful. They lived a brief but good life. It was a bacterial infection and we think they didn’t suffer.

B3B83DC5-C367-482D-9C46-09E15BB752EB.jpeg 2B3F1D80-1EAB-40E4-B21B-2F2CB4B3489D.jpeg

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Can we take a moment to send out thoughts to our upside down catfish and our red plec. RIP. We all held a service and it was beautiful. They lived a brief but good life. It was a bacterial infection and we think they didn’t suffer.

View attachment 820987 View attachment 820988
Hope you've got a big garden! Sorry to say it could be the first of many. :doh::frowny:
There is so much to learn and easier (and cheaper) types of fish to keep. All the fish you've got are fish most new fishkeepers will progress to in a year or two.
It's not a simple hobby, the water parameters have got to be reasonable to give the fish a chance to thrive. If you keep large fish in an aquarium the one thing which can go wrong very quickly is that the ammonia levels can go off the scale, even faster if you overfeed your fish.
The other side of the coin which catches many novices out is having an aquarium which is too clean ie the filter isn't biologically mature.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

View attachment 820987 View attachment 820988
If these were in the new tank, I'd be asking about the maturation process. I know that you've got an existing tank and experts helping you but the red plec looks pretty healthy for a bacteria infected corpse.

OP
OP
Simon Select

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
If these were in the new tank, I'd be asking about the maturation process. I know that you've got an existing tank and experts helping you but the red plec looks pretty healthy for a bacteria infected corpse.
Apparently it all stemmed from a Black Widow Tetra who got poorly and has spread it to the other Fish.
Selling Motorhomes is a lot easier!
Anyway, 50% water change and a load of Fishy medication and apparently in 3 days they will be back fighting fit!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Simon Select

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Hope you've got a big garden! Sorry to say it could be the first of many. :doh::frowny:
There is so much to learn and easier (and cheaper) types of fish to keep. All the fish you've got are fish most new fishkeepers will progress to in a year or two.
It's not a simple hobby, the water parameters have got to be reasonable to give the fish a chance to thrive. If you keep large fish in an aquarium the one thing which can go wrong very quickly is that the ammonia levels can go off the scale, even faster if you overfeed your fish.
The other side of the coin which catches many novices out is having an aquarium which is too clean ie the filter isn't biologically mature.
Don't suppose you live near Trago Mills ::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Apparently it all stemmed from a Black Widow Tetra who got poorly and has spread it to the other Fish.
Selling Motorhomes is a lot easier!
Anyway, 50% water change and a load of Fishy medication and apparently in 3 days they will be back fighting fit!
Might be an idea to have a quarantine tank for new fish so you can observe them for a while before exposing the main tank's occupants.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back