Expensive food (2 Viewers)

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Ā£60 a day cash in hand that is the equivalent of over Ā£20k for someone paying tax & NI.
Fair enough but the guy is still not running a proper business.
The rest of us end up paying more tax & NI to subsidies the guy.

I should point out I hate paying tax as much as anyone.
Other point I don't pay NI anymore (y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This is my point, you work cash in hand so your outside of the system, your being exploited,so sort yourself out.as for the take away driver job you knew the pay scale and terms of that business
Who's being exploited? It suited me just fine.

If it was an hourly wage and having to pay tax etc on it I wouldn't do it . Neither would 95% of the drivers who do it. And most likely the shops would stop delivering if they had to pay a minimum wage. ... because on quiet nights they would lose money.

My own way was quite simple ,

Every time i left the shop id have 4 or 5 deliveries, the customers that tipped were taken care of first. The ones that didn't well they were at the back of the queue šŸ˜‰

Good tippers never waited long for their deliveries on weekends. ...

Tipping has existed for decades ...its only the last one really that people have got exceptionally tight.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Most countries in Europe a waiter is considered a decent job and they are not looked down upon like they are in the UK.
Yep the UK still thinks of it as days when they had servants.

They have the Same view of cleaners , bin men , roadsweepers etc. And in some cases carers .

Until things like covid come along and they realise just how much they need them

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But then what would you set the minimum wage at? If you set it high enough t support a family what does someone with higher qualifications start on and the one above that and what effect does it have on prices then what does the wage have to be.
no one should need to depend on benefits to have a reasonable standard of living,,. no one should have to hold out a begging bowl and use food banks.. !

The yawning gap between rich and poor is likely to increase....half of the world's net wealth belongs to the top 1%, top 10% of adults hold 85%, while the bottom 90% hold the remaining 15% of the world's total wealth, top 30% of adults hold 97% of the total wealth.

that is wrong ..

and no, I do not have all the answers... but no one wants means tested handouts .. just an honest days pay for an honest days work..

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I was not going to reply to this but :rolleyes:
If the guy is happy to exploit workers for Ā£60 he should not be allowed to be in business anyway.
I'm sure there will be other car washes that can operate paying at least minimum wage and still manage a profit.
All I can say is that there seems to be plenty of guys and gals there who are happy enough to earn Ā£60 a day.
The car wash proprietor is an E. European and has two other car wash sites. One of his foreign workers told me that he had an engineering degree and was doing that work to improve his English so that he could better his chances of getting a job using his qualifications.
The smashing guy (an Indian chap) who runs the small Spar shop there has a Western Union franchise and said that the workers send a lot of their wages home (which won't be going back into the U.K. economy).

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 yearsā€¦.
just an honest days pay for an honest days work..
But you unfortunately get ones who thinks someone owes them something and donā€™t like working or if they are working they are not pulling their weight.
In an ideal world everyone would have a good standard of living but there are an awful lot who donā€™t want to work for itā˜¹ļøā˜¹ļø

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
All I can say is that there seems to be plenty of guys and gals there who are happy enough to earn Ā£60 a day.
The car wash proprietor is an E. European and has two other car wash sites. One of his foreign workers told me that he had an engineering degree and was doing that work to improve his English so that he could better his chances of getting a job using his qualifications.
The smashing guy (an Indian chap) who runs the small Spar shop there has a Western Union franchise and said that the workers send a lot of their wages home (which won't be going back into the U.K. economy).
Yep if they worked 7 days a week that's nearly 22k a year tax free

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I'm sure they would be happier with proper contracts and terms and conditions.:unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
I'm sure they would be happier with proper contracts and terms and conditions.:unsure:
Yebbut, the bottom line is that so much of advertising and competition is price orientated and reflects the fact that a large part of the buying public want 'cheap', much the same as supermarkets screw farmers down on what they pay them. Social media is full of posts requesting or recommending where to get the cheapest this or that product or service, whether it's for AdBlue, Sunday roasts, or wine and cambelt replacement.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But you unfortunately get ones who thinks someone owes them something and donā€™t like working or if they are working they are not pulling their weight.
In an ideal world everyone would have a good standard of living but there are an awful lot who donā€™t want to work for itā˜¹ļøā˜¹ļø
Then they are not doing an honest days work , for an honest days pay,
I never suggested slackers get rewarded for not pulling their weight , its just excuse for not rewarding those who do

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Have you looked at any financial statements for the big chains?
I don't go to chains as all they tend to do isnheat up freezer food and use poor quality ingredients and no they probably aren't the ones struggling as the have mas volume on their side

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Iā€™ve been in a couple in your neck of the woods, the Raymond May in Bourne and the Drapers arms in Peterborough, and had a similar experience to you, both OK for pre and post football at the Posh, however, wouldnā€™t dream of going in either to eat when there is a great pub at Thulby and a good one in Baston, probably a multiple of 3, price wise, however, we feel the overall experience is worth it even if itā€™s just a lunch time snack.
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree.
Myself and a few of the boys are out most Tuesdays when I am at home, eating in one of 4 x Spoons pubs between Stamford, Bourne, and P/boro, also at the Henry Royce, (formerly Yate's) sometimes too. We don't tolerate pi@@ poor ale, nor inedible food, and only twice to my knowledge has a meal been returned, which was replaced on both occasions. It is what it is, ie, pub grub, and certainly nothing near Egon Ronay standards.

It does depend upon what time of day you order food, as often the minimal amount of staff on duty, can find themselves run off their feet. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
The minimum wage is to prevent exploitation ... and to give people a 'living wage '

millions of people employed in the service industry, health care, shop assistants, etc, work for minimum wages.. currently Ā£10.42 per hour ..

My wife Jan works is a senior care assistant working for minimum wages .... what she earns would not keep a family without Universal Credit .. a government benefit .. which you and I pay for in taxes..
It's not the minimum hourly UK wage that is the issue it's the much higher annual wage requirement for foreign workers coming here which is much above minimum wage. It's supposed to mean that companies hire UK workers but the problem is there aren't enough people who want to do care or hospitality work for low pay.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't know the answer but it is fundamentally wrong that the taxpayer has to supplement a worker's earnings because an employer won't / can't pay them a realistic living wage.
But the question is what is a realistic living wage then? If you paid enough to support a family with say 3 kids one income what would it be? Presumably the person next to them single living with parents no education to speak of will earn the same. Their friend went to university did a masters in a science starts a job what should they expect?

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
But the question is what is a realistic living wage then? If you paid enough to support a family with say 3 kids one income what would it be? Presumably the person next to them single living with parents no education to speak of will earn the same. Their friend went to university did a masters in a science starts a job what should they expect?
The problem mainly comes down to unaffordable housing. It's much too high in relation to average wage so where the average family could afford a modest home on one full time wage at least whilst children were young now it needs 2 working full time and even then in many parts of the country they can't afford rent or mortgage especially with child care costs also being high.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The problem mainly comes down to unaffordable housing. It's much too high in relation to average wage so where the average family could afford a modest home on one full time wage at least whilst children were young now it needs 2 working full time and even then in many parts of the country they can't afford rent or mortgage especially with child care costs also being high.
That's a whole extra can of worms should the minimum wage be enough to live on in areas where housing is expensive in which case it's going to be pretty generous in others? I think they went wrong in starting to aim for a living wage it's a noble aim but a very complicated thing to try and set.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We in spoons now Ā£18 ā¤ļø

20240310_141039.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's not the minimum hourly UK wage that is the issue it's the much higher annual wage requirement for foreign workers coming here which is much above minimum wage. It's supposed to mean that companies hire UK workers but the problem is there aren't enough people who want to do care or hospitality work for low pay.
that is contradictory .. either minimum hourly rate is the issue, or or it is not .. can't be both

In my opinion, the minimum hourly rate is the issue .. not enough people are prepared to work for it when they may get more on benefits ..

the other issue, is the terms of their employment..

a couple of examples,.
" flexible working hours " sounds ok, but what it means in reality is a zero hours contract.. which carers in residential care homes are on.. their hours can be cut if for example there is a vacant room ..

shifts and hours changed without agreement, consultation or regard to impact on the employee..

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Just to throw in my 2 pennyworth.
You get what you pay for...surely depends on your often unrealistic expectations but not always.
Spoons is at the end of the day chain factory catering ..and done as head office intend(wich it often isn't) is what you should expect.
Too many people expect to pay for a mini and drive off with a Rolls Royce.
But many businesses owners charge for the Rolls but deliver the mini.
I am not so bothered about perfection unless I perceive that is what I'm paying but will not return if I don't perceive fair(a 2way street) value for money.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
pappajohn I hope you got them to take the service charge off.
I don't mind leaving a tip if the service is good but if they put a service charge on the bill I ask them to take it off & they don't get a tip.
Drakes fish and chip restaurant in York, we went with our American family who were visiting us.
They put 10% on the bill cheeky bleeders, Caz told me just to pay it as its standard in America and they would be flabbergasted if I asked it to be removed.

I never slept for a chuffing fortnight it was my turn to pay.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
the average family could afford a modest home on one full time wage at least whilst children were young now it needs 2 working full time and even then in many parts of the country they can't afford rent or mortgage
Here down South and without family help even couple living frugally would struggle to save a deposit, never mind repaying a mortgage; virtually impossible if in a rented property.

1710083896489.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back