Expensive food (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
That's a bargain but I don't understand how two meals at £9.70 add up to £10.92!
Between 2pm and 5pm weekdays it's cheaper if you have certain things off the menu, then I think there was another discount maybe because it was Tuesday. They do have special discount days, for instance Stella used to be cheaper on Mondays.

It always shows full price on the app but if you select "view receipt" you can see the discount subtracted. It's not been that cheap since, last time we went it was £17

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
The minimum wage is to prevent exploitation ... and to give people a 'living wage '

millions of people employed in the service industry, health care, shop assistants, etc, work for minimum wages.. currently £10.42 per hour ..

My wife Jan works is a senior care assistant working for minimum wages .... what she earns would not keep a family without Universal Credit .. a government benefit .. which you and I pay for in taxes..
Minimum wage is still awful, it’s a balance between jobs and money, as you allude to, we the tax payer are effectively paying top up to the minimum wage through universal credit for those that qualify, rather than the employer paying a ‘proper’ wage. In work benefits are at an all time high, however, increase the minimum wage to put the onus back on the employer to pay will simply lead to services and products becoming too expensive and job losses which in turn will transfer in work benefits to out of work benefits. Tricky one

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I never went in Wetherspoons as it wasn't dog friendly but I've popped in a couple of times recently...

OMG 😱! The food was absolutely dire.

Beer was just about OK but not in top notch condition.
What did you have?
I've probably been in hundreds, the only time I can recall bad food was in a Sheffield one about a year ago, girlfriend had a Mediterranean salad, there were no cherry tomatoes in it and something else was missing 🤔

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Went to a chain restaurant, whitbreads I think, the Treacle mine at polegate, East Sussex.
One Sunday roast, one haddock & chips with mushy peas. Two soda & lime drinks. Food & service excellent. Actually the large plate sized freshly cooked beer battered haddock was fantastic!
£25 total or thereabouts which I thought was really good.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The minimum wage is to prevent exploitation ... and to give people a 'living wage '

millions of people employed in the service industry, health care, shop assistants, etc, work for minimum wages.. currently £10.42 per hour ..

My wife Jan works is a senior care assistant working for minimum wages .... what she earns would not keep a family without Universal Credit .. a government benefit .. which you and I pay for in taxes..
But then what would you set the minimum wage at? If you set it high enough t support a family what does someone with higher qualifications start on and the one above that and what effect does it have on prices then what does the wage have to be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
Tipping is optional, I don’t see why I should substitute your wage for you,you are doing your job that you choose to do,I don’t get tipped doing my job,if you can’t get by on your wage upskill or do more hours or change career.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Tipping is optional, I don’t see why I should substitute your wage for you,you are doing your job that you choose to do,I don’t get tipped doing my job,if you can’t get by on your wage upskill or do more hours or change career.
I sort of agree. In countries like the US the tip is a big part of peoples income and they need tips to make anything. In a country where we have a minimum wage it's a different matter. I think everything should include all the costs and the bill clearly state tax and service included

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Me & MRS. ET went for a curry with my mate the other week.

Didsbury, south Manchester. Hipster territory, kind of BBC neighbourhood (people who work for the broadcaster).

Lamb curry, without rice or sides £14.90

Bill came and for three people they had added a 10% service charge (far too common these days). We asked them to remove the service charge .

£100 one main each, shared rice, two nann and with 4 beers. Robbery, food was mediocre at best.
Our best local curry house not only is the food good so is the price.

Sun-Tue, papadom & chutneys, any starter, any main, any rice, any side, any nann, £17.50

Wed-Sat not such a good deal any starter, any main, rice or nann, any side, £18.95 but still good value.

Always enough left over to take home for next days dinner.

I've taken Just smiffy, Northernraider , WESTY66 &Mrs Westy, Paul(Helen Ariel ) there they have all been impressed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Wetherspoons is usually great value quality food and beer,
They have a good selection of real ales at a good price but food is diabolical it used to be edible a few years ago but not now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When you start a job you know what the wage is,people get tips for a reason,ie;good service,but your doing your expected job for your wage you agreed to do it for.
With the minimum wages going up to nearly £24k next month they don't really need tips to live.
But not all the staff are on the books a few years ago a curry house in Worthing got closed down, all the staff were illegals living in a couple of rooms upstairs and getting paid a pittance.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Our best local curry house not only is the food good so is the price.

Sun-Tue, papadom & chutneys, any starter, any main, any rice, any side, any nann, £17.50

Wed-Sat not such a good deal any starter, any main, rice or nann, any side, £18.95 but still good value.

Always enough left over to take home for next days dinner.

I've taken Just smiffy, Northernraider , WESTY66 &Mrs Westy, Paul(Helen Ariel ) there they have all been impressed.
T’was one of the best Indian meals we’ve ever had lenny, we’ll have to return sometime👍 (more than likely armed with electrical stuff😉😁😁)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Just 100yds from me. There are still places with excellent cooking and fair prices. 07021E5D-E06B-4055-A7A0-54D5693A63FD.png31AEC48B-BA2B-4003-A7E2-D6FC0ABD1F9A.pngB267CB28-C56F-4BB1-9C66-35EDE18581DF.jpeg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When you start a job you know what the wage is,people get tips for a reason,ie;good service,but your doing your expected job for your wage you agreed to do it for.
With the minimum wages going up to nearly £24k next month they don't really need tips to live.
But not all the staff are on the books a few years ago a curry house in Worthing got closed down, all the staff were illegals living in a couple of rooms upstairs and getting paid a pittance.
It depends on how it works . I know people who have worked as waiters and they are cash in hand way below minimum wage... I know people who work in shops the Same way. So they rely on tips to top it up.

I worked as a takeaway delivery driver. We don't get a wage , the delivery charge the customer pays is what we earn . All good when it's really busy and you're doing 5-10 delivery's an hour ...but when it's really quiet and you might only do 1 or 2 an hour .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Me & MRS. ET went for a curry with my mate the other week.

Didsbury, south Manchester. Hipster territory, kind of BBC neighbourhood (people who work for the broadcaster).

Lamb curry, without rice or sides £14.90

Bill came and for three people they had added a 10% service charge (far too common these days). We asked them to remove the service charge .

£100 one main each, shared rice, two nann and with 4 beers. Robbery, food was mediocre at best.
A few years ago when I was doing some contract work in Birmingham me and my colleague went for a curry in a posh curry house in Broard St the bill was £120 for the two of us, good job it was on company expenses.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
They have a good selection of real ales at a good price but food is diabolical it used to be edible a few years ago but not now.
Doing a sightseeing motorbike tour around James Herriot (the vet) country I stayed at the Three Tuns, Thirsk because it was where the farmers used to come to settle their bills with him. I hadn't realised until I got there that it was a Wetherspoons hotel/pub. The accommodation was awful, the scampi batter was soggy and the scampi (?) dried out inside, the peas like bullets and the chips and the plate were cold. At my table I was jostled and elbowed by a group of foul-mouthed boozy blokes loudly making disgusting comments about all of the women in the bar. The breakfast was equally awful. The next evening I went out for fish and chips which I ate in the square.

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
It depends on how it works . I know people who have worked as waiters and they are cash in hand way below minimum wage... I know people who work in shops the Same way. So they rely on tips to top it up.

I worked as a takeaway delivery driver. We don't get a wage , the delivery charge the customer pays is what we earn . All good when it's really busy and you're doing 5-10 delivery's an hour ...but when it's really quiet and you might only do 1 or 2 an hour .
This is my point, you work cash in hand so your outside of the system, your being exploited,so sort yourself out.as for the take away driver job you knew the pay scale and terms of that business

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Doing a sightseeing motorbike tour around James Herriot (the vet) country I stayed at the Three Tuns, Thirsk because it was where the farmers used to come to settle their bills with him. I hadn't realised until I got there that it was a Wetherspoons hotel/pub. The accommodation was awful, the scampi batter was soggy and the scampi (?) dried out inside, the peas like bullets and the chips and the plate were cold. At my table I was jostled and elbowed by a group of foul-mouthed boozy blokes loudly making disgusting comments about all of the women in the bar. The breakfast was equally awful. The next evening I went out for fish and chips which I ate in the car.
Sounds like you found one of the better ones. :rofl:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When in France I don't think I've ever been served by a 'foreign' waiter so maybe they are paid a decent wage. Plus the staff have a professional attitude, unlike so many of the part-time untrained lackadaisical and bored waiting staff in many U.K. pubs and restos.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Things can change quite quickly in these days and age with high energy bills. We had a great meal in a Waterfront pub near by, went back 2 months later, new owners, and serving absolute Dross at high Prices. Served by the new owners, only staff we saw,. When it came to pay they, wanted a 20% service charge!
Not a cat in hells chance"
Anywhere you can see water is more expensive

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
I never went in Wetherspoons as it wasn't dog friendly but I've popped in a couple of times recently...

OMG 😱! The food was absolutely dire.

Beer was just about OK but not in top notch condition.
I’ve been in a couple in your neck of the woods, the Raymond May in Bourne and the Drapers arms in Peterborough, and had a similar experience to you, both OK for pre and post football at the Posh, however, wouldn’t dream of going in either to eat when there is a great pub at Thulby and a good one in Baston, probably a multiple of 3, price wise, however, we feel the overall experience is worth it even if it’s just a lunch time snack.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Wetherspoons is usually great value quality food and beer, but one Tuesday in December it was phenomenal, I took a screenshot of the bill, it includes 2 pints too 🤩.
It's a shame some of you won't go, you really are missing out. 🤷

View attachment 873410

The foods not great but it is cheap :rolleyes: The place serves a need.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The minimum wage has been a double edged sword! It raised pay for staff being exploited but on the other hand became an easy limit for employers to default to and thus reduce costs. I suspect there are lots of jobs now pay minimum wage that used to pay more years ago!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When in France I don't think I've ever been served by a 'foreign' waiter so maybe they are paid a decent wage. Plus the staff have a professional attitude, unlike so many of the part-time untrained lackadaisical and bored waiting staff in many U.K. pubs and restos.
Most countries in Europe a waiter is considered a decent job and they are not looked down upon like they are in the UK.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As far as I know all these places have menus with prices on, if I don’t like the prices of a place I don’t go in so don’t have to moan about it!!
Agreed, i would sooner eat my own leg than pay these prices but when you have a £50 voucher which is about to expire you'd be a fool not to use it.
To me, the extra £33 cash would have paid for the meal

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
About 10 years ago 10 of us on a boys jolly went to stay at a mates villa in Marbella, one of them ran a labourer agency and said he had booked the Marbella club for lunch on his company card😁😁

Off we go and sit down, it was a buffet type thing and apparently where pop stars and actors go not that I recognised anyone.

After we had eaten and had a few beers he asked me if it was all ok, “ was shite I said”😁😁 that has just cost me over €1100😳😳 he wasn’t happy, never been to a spoons but could imagine it was similar quality by the sound of it😂😂

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
The car wash at my local garage has shut down and chatting to the owner of the shop on the site he said that the guy who had it used to pay the Eastern European staff £60 a day, but under the new regs he couldn't afford to continue.
The wash staff, single young guys, living 3 or 4 to a rented room were happy with £60 a day cash but a person with a family living in a rented home or having a mortgage couldn't live on that so wages/prices have to rise. The same must apply to other establishments employing foreign labour.
I was not going to reply to this but :rolleyes:
If the guy is happy to exploit workers for £60 he should not be allowed to be in business anyway.
I'm sure there will be other car washes that can operate paying at least minimum wage and still manage a profit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I was not going to reply to this but :rolleyes:
If the guy is happy to exploit workers for £60 he should not be allowed to be in business anyway.
I'm sure there will be other car washes that can operate paying at least minimum wage and still manage a profit.
£60 a day cash in hand that is the equivalent of over £20k for someone paying tax & NI.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We rarely have a meal out. We have our main meal in the middle of the day and frequently pubs have limited menus at that time. We don’t eat fish and chips. We are not keen on fancy food. The odd occasion we have had a meal out we have been disappointed with food quality. I can’t help but compare the price in a restaurant with cost if I were cooking it. I appreciate all the overheads. If we were to go out it would need to be high quality. We prefer to have coffee and cake!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back