Expensive food (2 Viewers)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We went to York yesterday for a few hours as we had a £50 voucher for the star in the city restaurant in the city center.
We decided on a main dish only.
She had Ox cheek with indescribable veg, I had the fish fritter which came with 'crushed' garden peas and what they called 'chipshop curry sauce. Portion of Chips extra.
Well, the fritter turned out to be a 4" fish finger, the chefs had never tried chipshop curry and I'm sure the peas were fresh out of the pod and never seen water.
I had a pint of Japanese lager, 4 on the list but the only one they had, she had the recommended wine.
Then the bill.
Hers £25
Mine £24 plus £6.50 for a handful of chips
Lager £6.90
Wine £10 for 125ml glass.

£83......£83 bloody quid, service charge included

On top of that £30 train fare (disabled card)

That's an average basis weekly food bill.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thats the reason many of us haven't eaten out in the UK in recent years, pure rip off and all too often disappointment.
At those prices, and that quality of food, I know I would have said something, but many Brits are just too proud to complain.
I cant imagine places serving up food like you have experienced, and at those prices, surviving too long, word soon gets arround, especially with reviews on social media, and trip adviser.
Give em hell!:swear:
LES

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just back from pub lunch with friends at the lovely 3 Magpies between Melksham and Devizes. All food home cooked. Main meals 2 x fish and chips and mushy peas, one pudding with custard for husband, one pint and one half pint of lime and soda for me (he paid for his beer separately) came to £35. Walk on the towpath free. Camping and Caravanning club site looked reasonably busy.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This place was packed by 2pm.
We arrived ½ hour early but still got seated and served by 1pm.
Only spoke to two staff, both east European.
I certainly wouldn't go for a casual meal, we only went because the gift voucher would expire on 15th march.
There was/is a sister restaurant at Whitby....the star on the harbour..
Prices were more reasonable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Just back from pub lunch with friends at the lovely 3 Magpies between Melksham and Devizes. All food home cooked. Main meals 2 x fish and chips and mushy peas, one pudding with custard for husband, one pint and one half pint of lime and soda for me (he paid for his beer separately) came to £35. Walk on the towpath free. Camping and Caravanning club site looked reasonably busy.
Very nice pub as is The Barge a mile or so down the towpath.
The Camping And Caravan site is very good and ideal location to see the locks, have stayed there a few times and will definitely be going back.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Any fool with money.
Chatting to a couple in San Sebastián yesterday who were on about a restaurant with a £300 each price tag meal!
I said that my palate was not so refined that I would appreciate that type of food!
The same goes for wine and coffee some folk look at a price and think it must be good.

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
Rip off Britain unfortunately,even though we are not on the breadline I refuse to be completely bent over at these southern inspired eateries,who think it’s acceptable to charge ludicrous prices for mediocre service and quality even though there outside of the m25, we eat out regularly but always check reviews and prices and don’t eat at chains but prefer independent eateries

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Things can change quite quickly in these days and age with high energy bills. We had a great meal in a Waterfront pub near by, went back 2 months later, new owners, and serving absolute Dross at high Prices. Served by the new owners, only staff we saw,. When it came to pay they, wanted a 20% service charge!
Not a cat in hells chance"

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Wife went out last week with future daughter and some family. 10 in total. Friday night.

£200 service charge. They put it on the bill at the end
Service charge was more than the price for the main course.
Food was rubbish also service. They refused to pay it.

We don’t eat out much and that will be reduced to zero if they are playing stupid games like this.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We went out for lunch this afternoon at our local restaurant, 3 courses each and 2 Gins each and bill came to £72. The food was £25 each and well worth it, the gin was a little expensive at £11 for 2. We then walked into town for a few gins while watching the Rugby, £7 for 2 gins in town was ok.
Stopped off at screwfix for a couple of radiator valves, the cost of these annoyed me more 😂😂

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
But why does fish and chips cost near to £20 in most grunt pubsteraunts! I know the hospitality trade is struggling so what is driving the costs🤷

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Me & MRS. ET went for a curry with my mate the other week.

Didsbury, south Manchester. Hipster territory, kind of BBC neighbourhood (people who work for the broadcaster).

Lamb curry, without rice or sides £14.90

Bill came and for three people they had added a 10% service charge (far too common these days). We asked them to remove the service charge .

£100 one main each, shared rice, two nann and with 4 beers. Robbery, food was mediocre at best.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Myself and Mrs CC went to our favourite Chinese just before Christmas and we ended up with a 4 course meal and I had a few Tigers, came to £118 plus I gave a £20 tip.
Was lovely and I was very happy to pay that😋😋😋
On the other side I paid £7 for a burger at a car meet and it was that terrible I was thinking about it all afternoon 🤬

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Can't go for a basic pub meal x 2 for less than £60 nowadays.

Main course £15 minimum, pudding £8, 2 drinks £12

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Wetherspoons is usually great value quality food and beer, but one Tuesday in December it was phenomenal, I took a screenshot of the bill, it includes 2 pints too 🤩.
It's a shame some of you won't go, you really are missing out. 🤷

IMG-20231205-WA0000.jpg

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
I think thats the pub we stayed at a few years ago.
Parking round the back for vans.
They were very busy but still managed to get us a table.
Wife said it was the best sunday lunch she had ever had . 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Me & MRS. ET went for a curry with my mate the other week.

Didsbury, south Manchester. Hipster territory, kind of BBC neighbourhood (people who work for the broadcaster).

Lamb curry, without rice or sides £14.90

Bill came and for three people they had added a 10% service charge (far too common these days). We asked them to remove the service charge .

£100 one main each, shared rice, two nann and with 4 beers. Robbery, food was mediocre at best.
One of the reasons that hospitality prices especially Indian etc have risen so much is the conservative immigration policy changes that have meant that people coming into the country to work as chefs etc must earn a very high minimum salary. It's going up this year to £38,700 so you can expect your curry to be even more expensive next year. Of course there is a limit that people are willing or able to pay for a meal out so in reality we will just see a lot more places closing down and more empty properties on the high streets.

I personally don't have a problem with an added 10 percent service charge as I know that places have had to do this because so many people stiff them on tips because they resent the higher prices that inflation have caused. Of course if the service or meal were bad then I would ask to have it removed. I would also prefer that the tip system didn't exist and that the price was the price but then all menu prices would rise by 10 percent anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back