Are the days of the motorhome numbered? (2 Viewers)

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
I suggest, Yes.

Why? Because the emissions regulations (among others), mean that the manufacturers are finding it increasinly difficult to build a motorhome that complies wth the regulations and is fit for the purpose that we are looking for.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
No my near family managed to get out of the city's about 60 years ago, best thing that we did.

Everything was miles better living away from the city but still within reach of the facilities offered by a big city.
I used to live in the sticks. Long commutes with other slaves, also burning their 'hard earned' on petrol and parking. Had to drive to get anywhere.

Moved to a flat in the city centre. Walked 5 mins to work, so getting about an hour and a half of extra life back every day. Mortgage was higher, but I was saving a fortune not running a car. No worries about getting home after a couple at the pub. Lots of friends meeting in the centre. Choice of supermarkets in walkable distance. Best thing I ever did.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Ah, yes, the ā€˜stop the plebs from having their own transportā€™ conceptā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.. ;)
Ah, the ā€œeverythingā€™s a conspiracyā€œ conceptā€¦.didnā€™t take long šŸ˜‰

if low income families want to spend thousands of Ā£ on a car that sits still 96% of its life (on average) thatā€™s their choice.
Many wonā€™t and will be liberated and much better off by not having to

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Toyota Corolla self charging hybrid.
A self charging hybrid and a plug-in hybrid are essentially the same thing. Just a plug-in has a larger battery and a slightly bigger electric motor, so it's actually worth trying to drive a short distance on the battery alone. For both types, you've essentially got a differential with the combustion engine, the electric motor/dyno and drive axle. So spare combustion engine power can be run into the dyno. Or the electric motor can assist. Or the ICE can be shut down so it's entirely electric.

Mild hybrids are a bit different. There's a few different methods, but the simplest essentially has an oversized starter motor. When you pull away, the ICE is stopped and the motor has enough guts to pull the car off the line and start the engine. As you stop, it gets re-engaged to recharge it's tiny battery. Mild hybrids work at walking pace only.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
A self charging hybrid and a plug-in hybrid are essentially the same thing. Just a plug-in has a larger battery and a slightly bigger electric motor, so it's actually worth trying to drive a short distance on the battery alone. For both types, you've essentially got a differential with the combustion engine, the electric motor/dyno and drive axle. So spare combustion engine power can be run into the dyno. Or the electric motor can assist. Or the ICE can be shut down so it's entirely electric.

Mild hybrids are a bit different. There's a few different methods, but the simplest essentially has an oversized starter motor. When you pull away, the ICE is stopped and the motor has enough guts to pull the car off the line and start the engine. As you stop, it gets re-engaged to recharge it's tiny battery. Mild hybrids work at walking pace only.
Yep. Mine doesn't even have a starter motor. The 12v battery is tiny, as all it has to do is power the radio and other 12v electrics.

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
I used to live in the sticks. Long commutes with other slaves, also burning their 'hard earned' on petrol and parking. Had to drive to get anywhere.

Moved to a flat in the city centre. Walked 5 mins to work, so getting about an hour and a half of extra life back every day. Mortgage was higher, but I was saving a fortune not running a car. No worries about getting home after a couple at the pub. Lots of friends meeting in the centre. Choice of supermarkets in walkable distance. Best thing I ever did.
None of us worked in the city so no problem with the commute but I understand what you say.

No city living for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Just looking

It's my understanding after 2 Hybrid Toyota's that the batteries in the plug in version are different chemistry to the hybrid only. That to increase the capacity and keep the weight as low as possible. However tech has moved on so that's maybe changed by now.
Personally I have gone back to Diesel and would not consider a standard hybrid. The overal ownership/cost per mile proved much greater over a 3 year ownership than diesel in our usage.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's my understanding after 2 Hybrid Toyota's that the batteries in the plug in version are different chemistry to the hybrid only. That to increase the capacity and keep the weight as low as possible. However tech has moved on so that's maybe changed by now.
Personally I have gone back to Diesel and would not consider a standard hybrid. The overal ownership/cost per mile proved much greater over a 3 year ownership than diesel in our usage.

Hybrids are great in stop start traffic or even you have a lot of junctions and roundabouts. Not too bad on really hilly areas too. The energy recovery is most of the benefit. They aren't so good for extended runs on a motorway. A diesel will be just as economical, but cheaper to buy and less to go wrong.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
Interesting read in this very topical subject. Working on all vehicle types petrol diesel hybrid and EV vehicles. Many point out the rational and irrational thinking . Mainly about infrastructure and power to charge EV,s and the cost of ev,s which are heavily subsidized. And no one mentioned the elephant in the room. The Ev killer comes in two parts. Hydrogen power. Which no EV producer will want. for their own financial gain obviously. And the biggest issue that Ev production will hit a very expensive wall. Lithium quantity required for all the large heavy batteries. It won't happen. OZ n Chile n china just can't get enough out the ground. And will soon be too expensive to produce. Making the cost of the heavily subsidized industry out of reach financially. However a small hydrogen engine and a small HV battery giving a hydrogen electric hybrid. This can and no dought will be where it ends. In my view. Which means nothing. In 2002 there were 2 hydrogen service points in the UK. There are 14 now. It's not alot but there ain't alot of hydrogen cars out there. But there will be soon. An small petrol engine needs some internal changes to run on hydrogen which can be redesigned at factory build. These will produce less bhp and torque the the equivalent petrol. But when you add a small Hv battery so only to need 20% of the lithium of a Full EV battery then this would then give more power n torque of its equivalent petrol engine.this way we don't run out of lithium the grid will cope with short low demand charging. And you won't get stuck when your HV battery is flat as you still have an engine. In my view only of course.
Rant over.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
It takes around 4.5kWh of electric to make a gallon of petrol. The average EV can travel 20 miles on that leccy. So instead of making petrol, charge a BEV and save electricity! Just imagine how much electricity could be saved if we didnā€™t make petrol!

Another load of tosh, the figures quoted for making a Gallon of petrol is rubbish, Petrol is a distilled product in a distillation column, it comes off the column as it rises at a certain temp meanwhile other products are coming off at different temps.

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Interesting read in this very topical subject. Working on all vehicle types petrol diesel hybrid and EV vehicles. Many point out the rational and irrational thinking . Mainly about infrastructure and power to charge EV,s and the cost of ev,s which are heavily subsidized. And no one mentioned the elephant in the room. The Ev killer comes in two parts. Hydrogen power. Which no EV producer will want. for their own financial gain obviously. And the biggest issue that Ev production will hit a very expensive wall. Lithium quantity required for all the large heavy batteries. It won't happen. OZ n Chile n china just can't get enough out the ground. And will soon be too expensive to produce. Making the cost of the heavily subsidized industry out of reach financially. However a small hydrogen engine and a small HV battery giving a hydrogen electric hybrid. This can and no dought will be where it ends. In my view. Which means nothing. In 2002 there were 2 hydrogen service points in the UK. There are 14 now. It's not alot but there ain't alot of hydrogen cars out there. But there will be soon. An small petrol engine needs some internal changes to run on hydrogen which can be redesigned at factory build. These will produce less bhp and torque the the equivalent petrol. But when you add a small Hv battery so only to need 20% of the lithium of a Full EV battery then this would then give more power n torque of its equivalent petrol engine.this way we don't run out of lithium the grid will cope with short low demand charging. And you won't get stuck when your HV battery is flat as you still have an engine. In my view only of course.
Rant over.
You talk too much sense, that will not do !!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Interesting read in this very topical subject. Working on all vehicle types petrol diesel hybrid and EV vehicles. Many point out the rational and irrational thinking . Mainly about infrastructure and power to charge EV,s and the cost of ev,s which are heavily subsidized. And no one mentioned the elephant in the room. The Ev killer comes in two parts. Hydrogen power. Which no EV producer will want. for their own financial gain obviously. And the biggest issue that Ev production will hit a very expensive wall. Lithium quantity required for all the large heavy batteries. It won't happen. OZ n Chile n china just can't get enough out the ground. And will soon be too expensive to produce. Making the cost of the heavily subsidized industry out of reach financially. However a small hydrogen engine and a small HV battery giving a hydrogen electric hybrid. This can and no dought will be where it ends. In my view. Which means nothing. In 2002 there were 2 hydrogen service points in the UK. There are 14 now. It's not alot but there ain't alot of hydrogen cars out there. But there will be soon. An small petrol engine needs some internal changes to run on hydrogen which can be redesigned at factory build. These will produce less bhp and torque the the equivalent petrol. But when you add a small Hv battery so only to need 20% of the lithium of a Full EV battery then this would then give more power n torque of its equivalent patrol engine.this way we don't run out of lithium the grid will cope with short low demand charging. And you won't get stuck when your HV battery is flat as you still have an engine. In my view only of course.
Rant over.
Hydrogen for combustion is really inefficient. You need a lot of it. Fuel tanks end up being enormous.

If hydrogen happens, it'll need to be fuel cells. Even then, you need to generate roughly twice as much electricity to make hydrogen that you would if you were to charge a battery. Note that the Toyota Mirai is roughly the same size and weight as a Tesla Model S, similar range and price. But the Tesla has a much larger boot.

We are going to need a lot of lithium. But it's also a very abundant material. The other metals in many car batteries is more difficult, but other chemistries like LiFePO4 avoid the need for most of the manganese and nickel.

I don't see hydrogen offering much benefit over battery right now. Except instead of charging at home, you have to trek across the country you get a tank of hydrogen. And if costs twice as much per mile. Hydrogen is like betamax, it's lost the race as far as I can see.

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Hydrogen for combustion is really inefficient. You need a lot of it. Fuel tanks end up being enormous.

If hydrogen happens, it'll need to be fuel cells. Even then, you need to generate roughly twice as much electricity to make hydrogen that you would if you were to charge a battery. Note that the Toyota Mirai is roughly the same size and weight as a Tesla Model S, similar range and price. But the Tesla has a much larger boot.

We are going to need a lot of lithium. But it's also a very abundant material. The other metals in many car batteries is more difficult, but other chemistries like LiFePO4 avoid the need for most of the manganese and nickel.

I don't see hydrogen offering much benefit over battery right now. Except instead of charging at home, you have to trek across the country you get a tank of hydrogen. And if costs twice as much per mile. Hydrogen is like betamax, it's lost the race as far as I can see.
Guigsy if I had to place a bet on you or Bamford of JCB then my money is going on Bamford. He is convinced about hydrogen.

If Hydrogen was to take off as a fuel then it is within the realm of imagination that the hydrogen is produced at home via extracting the hydrogen from water. Of course, there is a double loss in this but it is very convenient. Hydrogen refilling at fuel stations would be a lot quicker than battery recharging and would not need large cable works, which I cannot see how can be avoided to get all the vehicles charged.

Personally, I don't see hydrogen as being any more dangerous than petrol, I have seen serious hydrogen fires but in many ways that was preferable to big petrol fires.

My hunch for a long time is that we are entering an age of multi fuels.

Upvote 0

prenteye

Free Member
Feb 9, 2023
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
getting stuck down country lanes since 2016
Big ev trucks (hgv) already available

I thought hydrogen with fuel cell but that isnā€™t optimal and wonā€™t be the future.

Hydrogen for plant will happen but may get overtaken by battery

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Guigsy if I had to place a bet on you or Bamford of JCB then my money is going on Bamford. He is convinced about hydrogen.

If Hydrogen was to take off as a fuel then it is within the realm of imagination that the hydrogen is produced at home via extracting the hydrogen from water. Of course, there is a double loss in this but it is very convenient. Hydrogen refilling at fuel stations would be a lot quicker than battery recharging and would not need large cable works, which I cannot see how can be avoided to get all the vehicles charged.

Personally, I don't see hydrogen as being any more dangerous than petrol, I have seen serious hydrogen fires but in many ways that was preferable to big petrol fires.

My hunch for a long time is that we are entering an age of multi fuels.
Hydrogen for HGVs might happen. But that doesn't mean it'll trickle over the cars and vans.

Generating hydrogen at home... which needs electricity. Why not just fill a battery instead and waste far less energy?

When I can buy an electric car that charges on my drive, so I only have to take to a fast charger a few times a year on holiday, and even then it's only 20 minutes, even petrol seems pretty inconvenient.

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Generating hydrogen at home... which needs electricity. Why not just fill a battery instead and waste far less energy?
Because the energy density is just not there.

I have two uses for a car, short journeys and long journeys, the short journeys are fine for EV and we did look at a Leaf. The long journeys 480 miles round trip in a day with no charging point at the destination are a distant dream for EV.

I do the 480 mile round trip in a banger that costs just Ā£2000 and does nearly 50 mpg.

I am not sure if EV's are ever going to be able to do that in that price point. I maybe wrong but not in my life time and I have about a 1/4 century to go.

Upvote 0
Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
Well 2030 is already now 2035 , and it will soon become 2040,2050 ,never

Once they've got enough crazies to buy electric and the grid crashes then it will be back to good old diesel.
Exactly. What happens if there is a huge storm like there was in Scotland a year or two ago, and there was no electric for a fortnight. You canā€™t charge your phone, boil the kettle, so what chance have you of charging an electric vehicle. As usual, the powers that be, canā€™t see further than the end of next week.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Exactly. What happens if there is a huge storm like there was in Scotland a year or two ago, and there was no electric for a fortnight. You canā€™t charge your phone, boil the kettle, so what chance have you of charging an electric vehicle. As usual, the powers that be, canā€™t see further than the end of next week.
Diesel and petrol shortages happened this year. And last year. And several times in the past.

Some EVs can reverse charge. They can run a house for several days.

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Ah, but youā€™ll be able to power your home from your EV battery, wonā€™t youā€¦..?

Upvote 0

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Considering the fact we humans have produced products and gasses into the atmosphere for what is a miniscule of time.

Compared to how long this planet has been around.

I don't think we're going anywhere plus all the changes are just smoke and mirrors feeding the top of the food chain.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The view that diesel will be less available , and cost more would tend to be illogical , as supply and demand will make it a buyers market , as its a bi product of crude oil , the suppliers of which wont want to leave it in the ground when the chemical industry needs it . Anyone else see this as a possible outcome ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back