Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Completely new motorhomer
I enjoy photography as a hobby, typically landscapes, sunsets, long exposure (waterfalls, or traffic trails), wildlife (mostly birds in fairness, but that's mostly because that's what you mostly see) and macro (mostly insects, some flowers).

Where do people recommend as good places to visit for good photo opportunities?

I am new to motorhoming, but until now tended to book cottages, usually Scotland or the southern counties, for a week at a time and use it as a base. Hope is to cover more ground in a MH.

On my list is to go back to Mull (for WTSE), The Western Isles, north coast of Scotland.

Also really looking forward to places that are doable as weekend trips that I wouldn't have wanted to use a whole week's annual leave on before, but would have been a bit much for a day trip e.g. landscape photography in the Peak District.

I am also hoping to go and stay overnight somewhere close to Ham Wall in winter for the murmurations.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
There's always an expert on here, and I mean that sincerely. Where most of us point a phone at something in the distance and hope for the best, there are others who can do wondful things, and more so if they have the proper gear. It's a real skill, or even an art that the rest of us can just wonder at.

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
There's always an expert on here, and I mean that sincerely. Where most of us point a phone at something in the distance and hope for the best, there are others who can do wondful things, and more so if they have the proper gear. It's a real skill, or even an art that the rest of us can just wonder at.
I just do it for fun really, I won't win any prizes for my pictures, but it gives me pleasure, which is the most important thing. I don't even come close to doing justice to the beauty I see in the world, but it's fun giving it a whirl

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
DSC_3175.jpg

DSC_4534.jpg

DSC_3160.jpg

DSC_1452.jpg

DSC_9834.jpg

DSC_3049.jpg

DSC_1947 (1).jpg

A few I like from my little adventures (the bird ones are local to me, the rest in Scotland)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
I am a landscape photographer with my van still on order ☹️ When I get it, there will be plenty of trips to the North West Highlands of Scotland and the Isle of Harris. Shorter trips to the Lake District, Peaks and Snowdonia.

if you want to see the sort of work I do; visit my site at www.philcorley.com

Enjoy your van and the photography it will enable.

Phil

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Bempton cliffs is a favourite for us. Puffins, Gannets,Guillemots and more. You just have to pick the right time.

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
I am a landscape photographer with my van still on order ☹️ When I get it, there will be plenty of trips to the North West Highlands of Scotland and the Isle of Harris. Shorter trips to the Lake District, Peaks and Snowdonia.

if you want to see the sort of work I do; visit my site at www.philcorley.com

Enjoy your van and the photography it will enable.

Phil
I hope you aren’t waiting too long for your van! Your photos look fantastic, I really like the long exposure effects in some of your water shots.

Thanks, I have been letting my photography slide, but I know this will change going forwards now I have my van

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Some great shots there, I don’t class myself as a photographer I just enjoy taking pictures. I used to have a digital SLR but got fed up with lugging all the kit about. Now all I use is my iPhone which is easier to take out every time I go out. (y)

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
I hope you aren’t waiting too long for your van! Your photos look fantastic, I really like the long exposure effects in some of your water shots.
Thanks for the kind words. Ordered the van July-21; should have arrived Dec-21 but month-by-month has slipped to October currently; so, so far, 10 months late :(

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
My son in law has the knack and has the ‘eye’ (his mum was a commercial photographer)
He collects older cameras( with rare film in)
He had one exposure left and lined up a family shot over a few minutes with beautiful south downs scenery in the background.
I offered to take the photo for him and promptly accidentally pressed the button with no one in the shot . Oops….

AnnB

Free Member
May 29, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2002
Stunning photos.

There are so many photo opportunities on Mull, allow plenty of time there. There is a layby at Loch na Keal which is a well known spot for seeing White-tailed Eagles, Otters can be spotted there too. Glen More can be good for Golden Eagles, Croggan is another good place for Otters.

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Stunning photos.

There are so many photo opportunities on Mull, allow plenty of time there. There is a layby at Loch na Keal which is a well known spot for seeing White-tailed Eagles, Otters can be spotted there too. Glen More can be good for Golden Eagles, Croggan is another good place for Otters.
Thanks 😊 Sadly I didn't have much eagle luck, nor see any otters on Mull last year. I found the layby on Lock Na Leal, and bagged Glen More too. I will definitely go back though!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Your being coy, your a whizz with a camera drone! 👍🏻
Thanks but I am actually pretty crap with it, I'm getting better with the video editing though which probably makes the end results not too bad. Oh cheers Eddie your post has reminded me to go charge the drone batteries. We are heading off 2mor meandering our way to Malvern :)

AnnB

Free Member
May 29, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2002
I tend not to be all that lucky with Eagles either although White-tailed Eagles are fairly reliable, sitting in the trees behind that layby at Kellan/Loch na Keal. I always check tide times and try to go searching for Otters in the hour or so after high tide and if that coincides with an early morning, even better.

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
I tend not to be all that lucky with Eagles either although White-tailed Eagles are fairly reliable, sitting in the trees behind that layby at Kellan/Loch na Keal. I always check tide times and try to go searching for Otters in the hour or so after high tide and if that coincides with an early morning, even better.
Yes, I saw one sitting in the trees, but they are still quite some distance, and struggled even with my 150-600, and got a really rubbish picture that I had to crop.
DSC_2665.jpg
Did get to see a distant mobbing which was pretty cool. The WTSE was being mobbed by buzzards. Round here, you usually see buzzards or kites being mobbed by crows!

Thanks for the tips about otters, I shall remember that for when I next go

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
We just had a mini break in the Trossachs. Pick the right time and you will be spoilt rotten!
Thanks, that's a part of Scotland I haven't really explored, I usually tend to go higher. Hopefully this will change now I have my MH!

We chuckle at work. There are a couple of Scottish ladies and we joke that I have seen more of Scotland than they have 😂

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I enjoy photography as a hobby, typically landscapes, sunsets, long exposure (waterfalls, or traffic trails), wildlife (mostly birds in fairness, but that's mostly because that's what you mostly see) and macro (mostly insects, some flowers).

Where do people recommend as good places to visit for good photo opportunities?
Anywhere really. There is beauty and interest everywhere you look. You just need to capture it.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We chuckle at work. There are a couple of Scottish ladies and we joke that I have seen more of Scotland than they have 😂
Many years ago l managed an employment agency in Leeds and we had lots of people that had moved from Glasgow, as a lover of the Highlands l used to ask if they also liked the Highlands 99% had never been, l asked not even Loch Lomond which is very close and still got a negative response. I couldn’t believe it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back