Any photographers on here? (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2021
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Swift RIO 310
Exp
since 2021
I am retired professional photographer and now take images only for pleasure and mainly of wildlife and landscapes. That is one of the reasons that i bought my MH last year. I travel with a lazy greyhound to places I want to photograph. In May I completed the NC500 and then in July spent a few days in Devon and Cornwall. If you like photographing birds then RSPB Bempton Cliffs is worth a visit. If you stay at Wold farm you get direct access to the cliffs. I have just returned from Botswana where I photographed wildlife on the Chobe river. As I am now an amateur I don't have a website but my images can be viewed on Flickr (www.flickr.com) search for Gordon Ford under "people" and I am the first one (fordsabroad). I am currently thinking of where to go when the kids go back to school. I thoroughly recommend the Fotovue photographic books for information on specific areas.
Here are a few images from recent trips

Attachments

• elephant in transit (1 of 1).jpg
    elephant in transit (1 of 1).jpg
    874.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Close and personal.jpg
    Close and personal.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 68
  • Burnham (1 of 1).jpg
    Burnham (1 of 1).jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Osprey with catch.jpg
    Osprey with catch.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Gannets (2 of 4).jpg
    Gannets (2 of 4).jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 74
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Where do people recommend as good places to visit for good photo opportunities?

I am new to motorhoming, but until now tended to book cottages, usually Scotland or the southern counties, for a week at a time and use it as a base. Hope is to cover more ground in a MH.
One thing to consider is some extra transport once you park up. I have a 125cc scooter in the MH garage, but others have a bike or ebike. It will get you to places where a MH can't go. But even better, you can stop, explore and take a picture on a bike, but very often on a narrow rural road there's nowhere to stop in a MH.

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Completely new motorhomer
I am retired professional photographer and now take images only for pleasure and mainly of wildlife and landscapes. That is one of the reasons that i bought my MH last year. I travel with a lazy greyhound to places I want to photograph. In May I completed the NC500 and then in July spent a few days in Devon and Cornwall. If you like photographing birds then RSPB Bempton Cliffs is worth a visit. If you stay at Wold farm you get direct access to the cliffs. I have just returned from Botswana where I photographed wildlife on the Chobe river. As I am now an amateur I don't have a website but my images can be viewed on Flickr (www.flickr.com) search for Gordon Ford under "people" and I am the first one (fordsabroad). I am currently thinking of where to go when the kids go back to school. I thoroughly recommend the Fotovue photographic books for information on specific areas.
Great photos! I have one of that little lighthouse/beach building myself 😊

I will be traveling with dogs too. Thanks for the tips, I will check those out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
One thing to consider is some extra transport once you park up. I have a 125cc scooter in the MH garage, but others have a bike or ebike. It will get you to places where a MH can't go. But even better, you can stop, explore and take a picture on a bike, but very often on a narrow rural road there's nowhere to stop in a MH.
Thanks. I can't really cycle with two GRs, but once the puppy turns one and isn't on restricted walks, we cover a lot of miles of foot. Sometimes 12-16 miles a day, with lots of stops on beaches, cafes and for ice cream of course

AnnB

Free Member
May 29, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2002
Have you photographed all Britain's butterflies yet? There are some Long-tailed Blues in Brighton at the moment.

Dunwich Heath in Suffolk is another of my favourite places (Dartford Warblers and Nightjars).

Mwnt in West Wales for Bottlenose Dolphins, Grey Seals and Choughs.

Chanonry Point, Scotland (Bottlenose Dolphins)

Wendover Woods, Bucks (Firecrests)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
If you are heading north stop off in the Trough of Bowland for the Hen Harriers and then on to Leighton Moss for the Bitterns

Jul 8, 2021
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Swift RIO 310
Exp
since 2021
I enjoy photography as a hobby, typically landscapes, sunsets, long exposure (waterfalls, or traffic trails), wildlife (mostly birds in fairness, but that's mostly because that's what you mostly see) and macro (mostly insects, some flowers).

I am new to motorhoming, but until now tended to book cottages, usually Scotland or the southern counties, for a week at a time and use it as a base. Hope is to cover more ground in a MH.

On my list is to go back to Mull (for WTSE), The Western Isles, north coast of Scotland.

Also really looking forward to places that are doable as weekend trips that I wouldn't have wanted to use a whole week's annual leave on before, but would have been a bit much for a day trip e.g. landscape photography in the Peak District.

I am also hoping to go and stay overnight somewhere close to Ham Wall in winter for the murmurations.
Depending on what you like to take. There is a place in Suffolk called Pin Mill. It appears to be where old boats go to die. It is on my list of places to visit. It is 150 miles from me so I will look to combine it with something else (Harwich lighthouse maybe). I mentioned it on here a while ago and someone mentioned a pub close by that let's you O/N in their car park for a small charge. If you go onto YouTube and look up Gary Gough he shows a good video of it.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Just read you went to Chobe, was that with Pangalin photo safaris? I am considering one of their trips in the next 2 years, if so what’s your impression of organisation and photo ops?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I enjoy photography as a hobby, typically landscapes, sunsets, long exposure (waterfalls, or traffic trails), wildlife (mostly birds in fairness, but that's mostly because that's what you mostly see) and macro (mostly insects, some flowers).

On my list is to go back to Mull (for WTSE), The Western Isles, north coast of Scotland.

Also really looking forward to places that are doable as weekend trips that I wouldn't have wanted to use a whole week's annual leave on before, but would have been a bit much for a day trip e.g. landscape photography in the Peak District.

I am also hoping to go and stay overnight somewhere close to Ham Wall in winter for the murmurations.
For Scotland take a look at Dougie Cunningham book Photographing Scotland for locations and example photo, the publishers have a series based on different areas within UK.

Jul 8, 2021
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Swift RIO 310
Exp
since 2021
Just read you went to Chobe, was that with Pangalin photo safaris? I am considering one of their trips in the next 2 years, if so what’s your impression of organisation and photo ops?
It was at the Pangolin boat and base but with Ann and Steve Toon (toon safaris). They are professional wildlife photographers. There was another group there at the same time that looked like they had booked direct and it seemed fine. If you sign up to Pangolins newsletter they will send details of any offers and cancellations.
The whole operation is well run and worth the money in my opinion. If I went again I would still rather book with Ann and Steve than direct. If you are a serious photographer the opportunity for good shots is amazing.

May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
Im a pro photographer & drone pilot. I am buying a PVC specifically for photography & drone work. This is so I can be up early & up late on site for the best golden hour shots & also use it as an on-site studio for shoots. Best locations in Scotland are around the Assynt area, but really there are good out of the way spots all over the Highlands.

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
Very frustrating,l bet it’s a Adria Twin🤔
l looked at your Portfolio, very impressive.
Yes - Adria Twin Supreme 600. Many thanks for the kind words about my portfolio. Lots of effort goes into my photography; just back from a 14 hour Lake District trip 😀

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I did a little photography course, still crap at it, never got my head around aperture exposure etc and what I think I see , is never what comes out.
Many photos of birds that arent there and sunsets with a lampost in them.
Artistic ability 0.
Camera for sale.
Sticking with binos!

Great photos on here keep em coming

Jul 8, 2021
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Swift RIO 310
Exp
since 2021
Another place worth a visit is the Mach Loop in North Wales. It is where the fast jets do part of their low level flying training. Some days you can sit all day and get nothing fly through and other days it is busy. It is a reasonably steep climb to get in position but worth the effort. Search for Mach Loop on YouTube and you will find a ton of information.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
It was at the Pangolin boat and base but with Ann and Steve Toon (toon safaris). They are professional wildlife photographers. There was another group there at the same time that looked like they had booked direct and it seemed fine. If you sign up to Pangolins newsletter they will send details of any offers and cancellations.
The whole operation is well run and worth the money in my opinion. If I went again I would still rather book with Ann and Steve than direct. If you are a serious photographer the opportunity for good shots is amazing.
Cheers, take a look at Pangolins utube channel, fantastic stuff, I hope to go 2024 latest booking direct.

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Have you photographed all Britain's butterflies yet? There are some Long-tailed Blues in Brighton at the moment.

Dunwich Heath in Suffolk is another of my favourite places (Dartford Warblers and Nightjars).

Mwnt in West Wales for Bottlenose Dolphins, Grey Seals and Choughs.

Chanonry Point, Scotland (Bottlenose Dolphins)

Wendover Woods, Bucks (Firecrests)
Brilliant tips and suggestions, exactly the sort of responses I was hoping for! Thanks so much

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
For Scotland take a look at Dougie Cunningham book Photographing Scotland for locations and example photo, the publishers have a series based on different areas within UK.
Thanks, I have popped it in my Amazon basket :)

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Im a pro photographer & drone pilot. I am buying a PVC specifically for photography & drone work. This is so I can be up early & up late on site for the best golden hour shots & also use it as an on-site studio for shoots. Best locations in Scotland are around the Assynt area, but really there are good out of the way spots all over the Highlands.
I stayed on a cottage for a week on Assynt a few years ago and really liked it there. Clachtoll campsite is on my list to stay at once I have got used to Motorhoming.

When in the cottage the whole area was covered in an apocalyptic fog. I decided to sit on Clachtoll beach as I though may as well sit on the beach in the fog as in the cottage. Was rewarded by the most beautiful site of a massive pod of dolphins swimming past. They went along in what must have been double or single file and it took several minutes for them to pass. The beach was deserted and it was the most magical experience

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Depending on what you like to take. There is a place in Suffolk called Pin Mill. It appears to be where old boats go to die. It is on my list of places to visit. It is 150 miles from me so I will look to combine it with something else (Harwich lighthouse maybe). I mentioned it on here a while ago and someone mentioned a pub close by that let's you O/N in their car park for a small charge. If you go onto YouTube and look up Gary Gough he shows a good video of it.
That sounds interesting and something different to what I usually do. Variety is good!

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Thanks for the kind words. Ordered the van July-21; should have arrived Dec-21 but month-by-month has slipped to October currently; so, so far, 10 months late :(
Yikes! That's quite some delay!!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well this thread had me scratching my head for a few hours yesterday.

Having always just owned nice compact point n shoot cameras, at a meet a few years ago I was impressed with DavidG58 bridge Nikon P 900 camera so I bought one with every intention to try teaching myself how to take good photos and move away from automatic mode.

The camera has been lying in a cupboard never getting used. With the incentive of this thread…Yesterday morning before leaving home I thought maybe I should take the camera to the Malvern meet in the hope someone would give me some tips.

I charged it up, put a data card inside and turned it on. The zoom lens only came out slightly, thinking this is odd, tried turning it on/off several times, nope the lens still only popping out slightly.

On to google and YouTube I go following instructions of blowing air around it in the hope of dislodging dust. Tried for 20 minutes and still the zoom lens wouldn’t pop out. Next I tried resetting the settings to default, nope that didn’t help either then suddenly my eye caught sight of the tiny little button that says W and T. DOH!

Well the penny finally dropped, stupid fool that I am. 😂 I moved it and hey presto the lens popped out.

Aaah great, after all that the camera does work , but where is it now, still at home sitting on the sofa 😂😂

Never mind folk won’t escape me that easily. I have my drone and trusted old video camera with me. I love making little movies of the meets and editing them.👍

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Exactly why I bought my van. 🙂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back