Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Completely new motorhomer
If you are heading north stop off in the Trough of Bowland for the Hen Harriers and then on to Leighton Moss for the Bitterns
I am not familiar with either of those places so thanks for the tip. My favourite birds are raptors, but never seen a Hen Harrier, only Marsh Harriers

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Phil89a your photos are amazing. Anyone else like to post some photos or links? Thanks Poppy and Hamish , I’m enjoying this thread .
Glad you are enjoying it, it's great to see so many awesome photos from forum members. Loving the location suggestions too, a real mixed bag as well which is great for me being a jack of all trades, master of none 😂

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Thought I would add to the puffin love. It was a little late when I went, so there weren't any chicks to feed, so no mouthfuls of fish!
DSC_2130.jpg
DSC_2219.jpg
DSC_2191.jpg
DSC_2141.jpg

Jun 27, 2012
leyland lancs
Funster No
MH
on order
Exp
im a newbie
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Hi, thank you :)

I use a sigma 150-600c
We are just waiting for a Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 we have bought second hand on ebay arriving (hopefully Saturday)
We have Barn owls flying in the field at the back of us and we hoping we can get photos as good as yours.

Any tips for set up with a 150-600 lens for bird photography?

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 9, 2021
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohican S
Exp
Have owned my moho for 2.5 years now
We are just waiting for a Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 we have bought second hand on ebay arriving (hopefully Saturday)
We have Barn owls flying in the field at the back of us and we hoping we can get photos as good as yours.

Paul
If you want birds in flight get a good tripod and a gimbal head unless you have really strong upper body

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Recommend finding somewhere you can sit down for more than 2 nights and get yourself set up,

We use a combination of site search apps (Park4night & Search For Sites &ASCI ) but apart from here are only members of C&CC and MCC
that usually helps a lot heading to N Wales very soon

Photography credentials

2021-09-07  Isle of Whithorn (31).JPG
2021-09-07  Isle of Whithorn (39).JPG
2021-09-10  Mull of Galloway Spit  (28)_stitch.jpg

As well as macro insects and Transport - well Trains and planes

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Great thread Hamish, and some amazing photography from lots of people.

I‘ve worked as a photographer since 1978 when I get a job as a press photographer. I really enjoy street photography, and putting words to the photos, like this one

71FE1323-1B32-4B60-B33F-56EA0FF84B66.png

Stew

stew

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

Paul
Shutter speed up as far as light will go and as it gets dark open your aperture wide, Barn owls always look great backlit with low sun, so light highlights The wing feathers.
If you don’t use Manual exposure on your camera, think about doing so with Auto ISO.
Apologies if I am teaching ‘Granma to suck eggs‘ 🤭

Jun 17, 2021
Beverley, UK
Funster No
MH
Florium magister74ml
Exp
Been caravanner for over thirty years,now going to have motorhome very soon.
I enjoy photography as a hobby, typically landscapes, sunsets, long exposure (waterfalls, or traffic trails), wildlife (mostly birds in fairness, but that's mostly because that's what you mostly see) and macro (mostly insects, some flowers).

Where do people recommend as good places to visit for good photo opportunities?

I am new to motorhoming, but until now tended to book cottages, usually Scotland or the southern counties, for a week at a time and use it as a base. Hope is to cover more ground in a MH.

On my list is to go back to Mull (for WTSE), The Western Isles, north coast of Scotland.

Also really looking forward to places that are doable as weekend trips that I wouldn't have wanted to use a whole week's annual leave on before, but would have been a bit much for a day trip e.g. landscape photography in the Peak District.

I am also hoping to go and stay overnight somewhere close to Ham Wall in winter for the murmurations.
Hi I’m a Olympus man myself was dslr now m4/3 ,your pictures look very good what system do you use…

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Shutter speed up as far as light will go and as it gets dark open your aperture wide, Barn owls always look great backlit with low sun, so light highlights The wing feathers.
If you don’t use Manual exposure on your camera, think about doing so with Auto ISO.
Apologies if I am teaching ‘Granma to suck eggs‘ 🤭
Not all readers of the thread are photographers. Learners like me here willing to learn so we appreciate the help and info (y)

OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp

Paul
Oh wow, that’s amazing to have Barnies so close to you!

I was interested to see someone suggested a tripod. I only ever shoot freehand for bird photography. It can get heavy, but you get used to it I guess. It’s finding what works for you. Remember to breathe too!

The advice to have the speed as high as you can without compromising light is good. I generally have the settings at around f7.1, speed needs to be a minimum of your focal length and then adjust ISO according to the lighting. But again, it’s always a pay off as you don’t want too much noise.

Practice panning. Barnies generally have a fairly predictable flight path, so are easier. Buzzards and kites are easy to practice on too, they tend to hover nicely above you and are generally reliable to be around, depending on where you are in the county, just look up! The hobbies were mayhem!! There were about 12 whizzing around hunting flies above the scrape on my local nature reserve. You just didn’t know which way to point your camera, and they are soooooo fast.

Sorry if this is what you already know, but it’s also hopefully helpful for those less experienced too,

Sep 9, 2021
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohican S
Exp
Have owned my moho for 2.5 years now
Oh wow, that’s amazing to have Barnies so close to you!

I was interested to see someone suggested a tripod. I only ever shoot freehand for bird photography. It can get heavy, but you get used to it I guess. It’s finding what works for you. Remember to breathe too!

The advice to have the speed as high as you can without compromising light is good. I generally have the settings at around f7.1, speed needs to be a minimum of your focal length and then adjust ISO according to the lighting. But again, it’s always a pay off as you don’t want too much noise.

Practice panning. Barnies generally have a fairly predictable flight path, so are easier. Buzzards and kites are easy to practice on too, they tend to hover nicely above you and are generally reliable to be around, depending on where you are in the county, just look up! The hobbies were mayhem!! There were about 12 whizzing around hunting flies above the scrape on my local nature reserve. You just didn’t know which way to point your camera, and they are soooooo fast.

Sorry if this is what you already know, but it’s also hopefully helpful for those less experienced too,
try photgraphing flying dragon flies. they are speedy two of my latest efforts. I love Barnies but struggling to find them when i am out and about

Attachments

• IMG_8042 (2).JPG
    IMG_8042 (2).JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8044 (2).JPG
    IMG_8044 (2).JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
Great thread Hamish, and some amazing photography from lots of people.

I‘ve worked as a photographer since 1978 when I get a job as a press photographer. I really enjoy street photography, and putting words to the photos, like this one

Stew

stew
Thanks for sharing, I do like black and white. I struggle to be inspired to do street photography in the UK (that says more about me than anything else, seen great shots by others) but have got some great shots in Asia, such as these in Vietnam.

Attachments

• 6038CAB3-3B4A-41B5-91AF-6D6954F1CA66.jpeg
    6038CAB3-3B4A-41B5-91AF-6D6954F1CA66.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 7093FDDF-4A59-4C40-A5FB-C30D25245356.jpeg
    7093FDDF-4A59-4C40-A5FB-C30D25245356.jpeg
    940.2 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Poppy and Hamish

Poppy and Hamish

Free Member
Aug 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestyle 624
Exp
try photgraphing flying dragon flies. they are speedy two of my latest efforts. I love Barnies but struggling to find them when i am out and about
Well done! Dragon flies are super hard. I had one in my garden the other month and just couldn’t get it until it landed 😂

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
We find that National Trust places can provide a wealth of photo opportunities, both indoor and outside.
Also Pooles caverns in Buxton, Stumps Cross Caverns in Pateley Bridge, High Force and Low Force Waterfalls,
We also enjoy visiting wildlife parks / Zoos to photograph the animals,
We tend to find that there is a good picture round every corner, Sue always travels with her camera to hand for that one time opportunity.
Have fun and enjoy wherever you are
Joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back