bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
( fully charge it up and then take it to a place that sells battery's and they will load test it for you ( tells you if it's good or scrap )

What discharge rate would the tester use; C5, C20, or something else?

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What discharge rate would the tester use; C5, C20, or something else?

Ian
A leisure battery should be tested at the C20 rate.
Anywhere you take a battery to be tested you can be fairly certain they will give it a CCA test which is a starter battery test, which is meaningless for a leisure battery.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
A leisure battery should be tested at the C20 rate.
Anywhere you take a battery to be tested you can be fairly certain they will give it a CCA test which is a starter battery test, which is meaningless for a leisure battery.

Agreed. 👍😉

Ian

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
I have 2x gel leisure batteries , no solar and can go at least 1 week with no Hooke up 👍
What ah are they and do you use tv, heating etc or just lights?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Is this a mains-powered charger?
It is only mains powered via the EBL29 I believe. The CTEK controllers are just to control inputs (solar, alt & mains) and output to the batteries I think.

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Some information for you about these batteries. There is also a cheaper version (LDC2) just been released too.

I've just spoken to an advisor at ...e again - thanks everyone for their input (y)

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Sorry - not sure what happened to the last post!!
It should have said:
I've just spoken to an advisor at Alpha batteries and he has recommended Lead Carbon Gel batteries.
Apparently my EBL29 doesn't have an AGM setting, only wet or Gel - even though the manual says it can be used for them - apparently it doesn't put out the 14.7v they need to fully charge & will only get to 60% charge.
That perhaps explains why they have died..
These Carbon Gels can be used down to 20% charge and 15000 cycles so sound pretty good - has anyone had any experience with them?
Quite a good price at £190 for 110ah I think - minus a bit of club discount :)

cheers
Chris

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Sorry - not sure what happened to the last post!!
It should have said:
I've just spoken to an advisor at Alpha batteries and he has recommended Lead Carbon Gel batteries.
Apparently my EBL29 doesn't have an AGM setting, only wet or Gel - even though the manual says it can be used for them - apparently it doesn't put out the 14.7v they need to fully charge & will only get to 60% charge.
That perhaps explains why they have died..
These Carbon Gels can be used down to 20% charge and 15000 cycles so sound pretty good - has anyone had any experience with them?
Quite a good price at £190 for 110ah I think - minus a bit of club discount :)

cheers
Chris
I think that Hoovie is your man for info on lead carbons.

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Have you any experience with the lead carbon gels? Alpha have recommended them to me rather than lead carbon AGM.
No I do not ! I am of the view Alpha would recommend a battery to a customer that was more in the interests of Alpha than the customer. Saying that, this battery has a decent weight and is cheaper than the Leoch. (Only by a few £'s) However, if you look at the cycle performance (on the product data sheet), the Leoch is 2-3 times better than the Expedition.

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
No I do not ! I am of the view Alpha would recommend a battery to a customer that was more in the interests of Alpha than the customer. Saying that, this battery has a decent weight and is cheaper than the Leoch. (Only by a few £'s) However, if you look at the cycle performance (on the product data sheet), the Leoch is 2-3 times better than the Expedition.
I am more interested in the fact that it is Gel rather than AGM. They told me I haven't got enough voltage (14.7) needed for AGM & I have 14.4 - doesn't seem a big difference?
I understand Gel's can stand a lower discharge & these carbon Gels are supposed to give 1500 cycles - slightly better than the Leoch 1300.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I am more interested in the fact that it is Gel rather than AGM. They told me I haven't got enough voltage (14.7) needed for AGM & I have 14.4 - doesn't seem a big difference?
I understand Gel's can stand a lower discharge & these carbon Gels are supposed to give 1500 cycles - slightly better than the Leoch 1300.
The Leoch require a charging voltage of 14.4 - 14.6V according to their data sheet

The Gels data sheet does state around 1500 cycles at 50% DOD but goes no further. The leoch states around 2000 cycles when 70% discharged. I believe charging at the correct voltage is essential and if you only have 14,4 V from your charger it does meet the charging requirement set by Leoch. If you have solar and user settings on your solar regulator you could set this to give no more than 14.6 V. Its your choice and you should choose the battery you think will be best for your set up and usage.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Had duracell AGMs for 6 +years still performing well. Think its that a lot of chargers are not set to charge AGMs ours is and so is our solar regulator.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Storage capacity is down....batteries failing.

Just yesterday I charged an old 100ah battery showing 3v.
Once fully charged (13.6v) and rested for a couple of hours (12.6v) the voltage was good but storage capacity was down to 45%.....that's a capacity of just 45amps instead of 100amps for a healthy battery.
How did you measure that?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Have you any experience with the lead carbon gels? Alpha have recommended them to me rather than lead carbon AGM.
I've had three of those fitted for two years, no issues to report, one thing to note is the AGM batteries state charging from 0c whereas the gels state charging from -20c so if cold weather charging is an issue you may be better off with the gels, on the other hand the agm's charge a bit faster. I've had both types but only had the agm for a year before I sold the van so can only say it worked okay but I did have an agm profile on the B2B.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
So given they are probably duff what in a Motorhome could knacker two batteries so quickly given minimum cycles and charger seems to be working fine . Could one duff battery damage another ?
Taking too much out of them. I killed 3 Bosch/Varta powerframes in 12 months by taking them too low. Was in the van full time in Winter in the U.K. and didn’t have a generator back then. Knowing what I do now it was always going to end badly as I use 65ah per 24 hours

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There's a bit more to it than just the voltage. AGM and Gel batteries are 'recombination' batteries, which require a timed extended absorption stage. This is often several hours - 8 or 16 hours for example. With a standard lead-acid, the absorption stage ends as soon as the amps falls below the preset minimum 'tail current'. For AGM and Gel, the absorption stage is extended by a timer for several hours. During this time any hydrogen and oxygen gas produced during charging is 'recombined' back into water (H2O).

I think this is more relevant to mains charging, because the power input is long enough to do this. Solar and B2B are unlikely to provide that extended time stage reliably.

The difference between the lead-acid and Gel settings on the EBL29 is the extended timed absorption stage, the voltages are exactly the same (14.4V).

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I've had three of those fitted for two years, no issues to report, one thing to note is the AGM batteries state charging from 0c whereas the gels state charging from -20c
This may be the information you have seen on a specific AGM battery and assumed, it applies to all AGM batteries. It does not! and if you look at the link below you will see this AGM can be charged 20 Deg below C and operates from minus 40 deg to plus 60 deg.
I suspect the Leoch is more or less the same.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
This may be the information you have seen on a specific AGM battery and assumed, it applies to all AGM batteries. It does not! and if you look at the link below you will see this AGM can be charged 20 Deg below C and operates from minus 40 deg to plus 60 deg.
I suspect the Leoch is more or less the same.
You've linked to the lead carbon gel battery even though the url says agm. If you look at the leoch agm lead carbon you will see it says charge from 0c.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You've linked to the lead carbon gel battery even though the url says agm. If you look at the leoch agm lead carbon you will see it says charge from 0c.

You are correct !(y) I would still choose the Leoch as the temperature inside my motorhome never falls below Zero degrees when its in use and only for a few hours a day when not in use.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I don’t know if this will help anyone but just in case i'll post it anyway, I'm currently at the rally at woodside field, I have 3 lead carbon gel batteries total 330 ahs, which were at 100% when I arrived yesterday and 250 w solar, by 09:00 this morning the batteries had dropped to 95% running my cpap machine, watching some tv etc. By 10:30 this morning they had gone up to 96% and the solar has gone from bulk charge to absorbtion, so that might give an indication of how quickly they charge up. It is currently quite sunny here and i'm getting between 7.5 and 8.5 amps from the panels.

OP
OP
TheLifeofBrian
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
I don’t know if this will help anyone but just in case i'll post it anyway, I'm currently at the rally at woodside field, I have 3 lead carbon gel batteries total 330 ahs, which were at 100% when I arrived yesterday and 250 w solar, by 09:00 this morning the batteries had dropped to 95% running my cpap machine, watching some tv etc. By 10:30 this morning they had gone up to 96% and the solar has gone from bulk charge to absorbtion, so that might give an indication of how quickly they charge up. It is currently quite sunny here and i'm getting between 7.5 and 8.5 amps from the panels.
Thanks, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair of Lead Carbon Gels 🤞

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Thanks, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair of Lead Carbon Gels 🤞
If you get them from alpha ring them up and ask if they'll give you a discount if you buy two, they did give me a discount on three.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C7544SL
Hi all,
after nearly a year if owning my 'new to me' Motorhome I find I have the wrong leisure batteries fitted!
We are away in it at the moment and a couple of nights after being 'off grid' I've found the control panel flashing red & had to turn everything off. That included using TV for an hour, lights & leaving heating (gas) running all night. They recovered after 30 mins or so (12 volts) & after the solar panel kicked in when the sun came up they were soon back up to 14 volts.??
After asking an expert (and realising the obvious!) It turns out that if your batteries say 'stop/start' on them they aren't really leisure batteries but normal car batteries 🤬 this is quite annoying after buying the Moho from a dealer!
Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a proper pair from? AGM preferably - and does anyone want to buy a car battery or 2 😬

Cheers Chris

View attachment 731034
Maybe lifepo4 battery is better

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The Leoch Pure Lead Carbon are very good AGM batteries and will accept a lead acid charging profile. Lifepo4 is the dogs but you need to make sure your charging set up is suitable for these type's of batteries including Solar and Alternator set up.
Any of the big battery distributors will meet your need and some may offer a small discount for multiple battery orders.

Edit. LOL, Just seen the rest of the thread, so you can ignore this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back