Why isn't our motorhome selling, feedback needed. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just altered the price on ours in the 'classifieds' to see if we get any bites.
Good luck to all selling at the moment.
Interesting times!
If you want my advice which I know you probably don't, I would drop it to £9999, folks have a limit to what they look at and your £495 is just pushing you into the next price range, also I would cut out a lot of your description, especially the bit about the gearbox, let them ring to ask what they want to know then you can bull it up, and get them interested, when they have read all through your description they are getting fed up and moving on.
Just my opinion and you are quite free to ignore it, just trying to help.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you want my advice which I know you probably don't, I would drop it to £9999, folks have a limit to what they look at and your £495 is just pushing you into the next price range, also I would cut out a lot of your description, especially the bit about the gearbox, let them ring to ask what they want to know then you can bull it up, and get them interested, when they have read all through your description they are getting fed up and moving on.
Just my opinion and you are quite free to ignore it, just trying to help.
I said that the other week . Too much info is putting folk off.

Let them come look. Show them the good parts of the van.
So many campers out there at this price range it's like employers looking at cv's .... they skim through and they're writing this van off because it sounds like it has lots of issues.

Every van of this age/price has issues .

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
Just altered the price on ours in the 'classifieds' to see if we get any bites.
Good luck to all selling at the moment.
Interesting times!
We've reduced ours with Motorhome depot, I believe that they were out of touch with the market, which has dropped by at least 10-15% in the last 6 months. At the revised price we are at least getting some interest!

mark49

Free Member
Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
I think 30% minimum just to get things moving is what’s needed, Some of the prices on used vans are just incredible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I think 30% minimum just to get things moving is what’s needed, Some of the prices on used vans are just incredible.
Totally agree dealers wanting 45 to 50k for 15 year old vans because the are so called premium. They may well be but the fact of the matter is it's still a 15 year old base vehicle

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I am looking for a 5 year old van max I have a price in mind and when that is reflected in the market I will start looking again

Oct 10, 2022
Funster No
MH
Avantgarde300
We decided to try and find a slightly newer model than our 2005 Avantgarde. There is a proper gap in the market at the moment. Either vans are old (even older than ours) or upwards of 50K. Nothing much inbetween. We were hoping to find something below £45k but not much about and if they are, then they all seem to be ones which need a C1 licence. We are 68 so don't really want the rigmarole of having to start getting examinations and doctors certs. to keep the C1 classification. Most of the vans are huge which I can only assume is because people are getting rid of them for the same reason we don't want one. We thought we might have found one locally at a dealer and went to have a look. A 2010 Autotrail with the right layout for us £32,950. Unfortunately the interior was so shabby - woodwork scratched, window cracked (even though they said that would be replaced) grubby and generally unloved, that we walked away. Our van is 2005 and the interior is like new. The old gent we bought from had kept it immaculately. I don't understand why people don't seem to look after their vans especially with the cost involved. Certainly in our neck of the woods in Lincolnshire there is not much about and the few dealers in the county are charging a fortune for them. We shall keep an eye out but are resigned to keeping Elsa for the time being if not.

May 15, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 709
Exp
Learning
We have manged to finish the contract early with MDopot. Will pm you.
Hi how did you come to an agreement to terminate the contract with MHD earlier?
We’ve had one viewing in 2 months and are of the opinion that if we’d advertised privately at the number we’re willing to accept we would have had more interest and possibly have sold.
Our rational was to go with MHD to avoid the hassle and because they have a database of potential buyers.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi how did you come to an agreement to terminate the contract with MHD earlier?
We’ve had one viewing in 2 months and are of the opinion that if we’d advertised privately at the number we’re willing to accept we would have had more interest and possibly have sold.
Our rational was to go with MHD to avoid the hassle and because they have a database of potential buyers.
We gave them the months notice and they just agreed to end the contract, there and then. Good luck.

Mar 26, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner A645 Active
Nice van.

I think your price is 'optimistic' for the current market.
I'd leave it at that price for 4-6 weeks and see if you get any interest, if not you will need to lower the price, probably by a 5 figure amount.

Most of the downsides of the vehicle are obvious and not much you can do about them.
It's pre 2014, so will be progressively limited on where it can go due to Emissions zones.
It's LHD which rules out those that do not spend the majority of their time touring on the mainland.
It's over 3.5t, which means the only buyers are aged between late 40's and mid 60's.

All of which means that the potential market for this van is very small.

The top of the motorhome market has long since passed
We bought a van at the end of 2019.
By early 2021 the value had almost doubled.
Today it's worth about what we paid for it almost 5 years ago.
A new one of our model is now about 30% higher cost than it was 5 years ago.
Which is way over the rate of inflation and the fall in value of the pound.
I think normal (circa 2016-18) levels of value of motorhomes are still a year or two off.

I'd also look at expanding the market with ads on motorhomefun classifieds and autotrader.
That said, there is a similar one for £26,500 on ebay here which has zero bids so far.

Why would I spend close to £50k when I can get one almost as good for half the price ?
That NB has a hole in the windscreen, probably why it's got no bids. They also look like they copied the playmobil design (or perhaps vice versa)...

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Nice van.

I think your price is 'optimistic' for the current market.
I'd leave it at that price for 4-6 weeks and see if you get any interest, if not you will need to lower the price, probably by a 5 figure amount.

Most of the downsides of the vehicle are obvious and not much you can do about them.
It's pre 2014, so will be progressively limited on where it can go due to Emissions zones.
It's LHD which rules out those that do not spend the majority of their time touring on the mainland.
It's over 3.5t, which means the only buyers are aged between late 40's and mid 60's.

All of which means that the potential market for this van is very small.

The top of the motorhome market has long since passed
We bought a van at the end of 2019.
By early 2021 the value had almost doubled.
Today it's worth about what we paid for it almost 5 years ago.
I think normal (circa 2016-18) levels of value of motorhomes are still a year or two off.

I'd also look at expanding the market with ads on motorhomefun classifieds and autotrader.
That said, there is a similar one for £26,500 on ebay here which has zero bids so far.

Why would I spend close to £50k when I can get one almost as good for half the price ?
On this bit

The ONS index was 107 5 years ago and is now 132. That 30,% increase isn't far off average compound inflation

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
That NB has a hole in the windscreen, probably why it's got no bids. They also look like they copied the playmobil design (or perhaps vice versa)...
Looks like it went for £19.5k and now the need for a new windscreen and MOT which must have knocked at least £4k off the price., so the real value would be £24-25K

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Most of the problem is folks saying oh it's got to be worth x amount when really they are just hoping it is for when they come to sell theirs.
Seeing one in an advert and what it actually sold for are two very different things.
As I have said before , go to eBay , put in motorhome and then filter to sold items, it's on the second page when you click on filter, then you will see how much they actually sold for.
Most of them are less than twenty grand, and mostly less than ten.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I sent an enquiry to MHD last Weds about a MH we liked the look of, only question was is it Comfortmatic

Apparently they had to ask seller 🤔 he replied yesterday to say he thinks it’s 6 speed 🙄

Definitely keeping ours can’t cope with the whole buying process
Doesn't fill you with confidence does it!

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
example
Elddis Autoquest CV40 new in 2019 £40.000
One for sale on Auto trader 2019 £49.995 15.000 miles 4 owners Needs cam belt
crazy molly bernard GIF by YoungerTV

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Whats MHD charge for selling ?
Don’t really care how much they charge - tell them how much you want ! Be realistic and leave it to them. Why worry about how much they are making ? If you’re van is too much then it won’t sell if priced right they do all advertising and show buyers around your van. You get no hassle - simply hand your keys to agent when he brings buyers - he shows your van then hands keys back to you .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Don’t really care how much they charge - tell them how much you want ! Be realistic and leave it to them. Why worry about how much they are making ? If you’re van is too much then it won’t sell if priced right they do all advertising and show buyers around your van. You get no hassle - simply hand your keys to agent when he brings buyers - he shows your van then hands keys back to you .
Because a lot of buyers look at vans advertised by mhd and think ..well that's at least £5k over what its worth to cover their fee. Which is why many of them don't sell.

Meanwhile your van is advertised everywhere for a couple of months , then when your contract ends and you try to sell it yourself everyone says " that vans been advertised for months , must be something wrong with it "

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Because a lot of buyers look at vans advertised by mhd and think ..well that's at least £5k over what its worth to cover their fee. Which is why many of them don't sell.

Meanwhile your van is advertised everywhere for a couple of months , then when your contract ends and you try to sell it yourself everyone says " that vans been advertised for months , must be something wrong with it "
Well you could always pay a dealer 10 to 15 k instead of MHD 3 to 4 k.😉

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has everyone seen this guy , seems very honest with what he's selling don't know how he is on buying.
Nothing to me he just popped up on my YouTube thing, don't know where he is.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well you could always pay a dealer 10 to 15 k instead of MHD 3 to 4 k.😉
Or

Here's a novel idea, advertise it yourself for the £4k less and sell it easy.

Most dealers and traders like mhd don't have a clue how half the stuff in the vans work. I would always prefer to deal with the owner who knows the vehicle and had used the vehicle. They're often far more inclined to negotiate rather than the dealer or broker who's only interest is their profit.

In all the vehicles I've owned I've never struggled to sell them .. probably because any buyer can tell I know the vehicle inside and out warts and all.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
My 2022 Autosleeper has just sold after a year. Eventually dropping over £7000 of my original asking price. Buyers are very aware of the vast amount of motorhomes for sale and are expecting large discounts. Motorhome Depot sold my van and they were excellent throughout the year long slog. They charged £3000 which I'd rather pay to them than £10,000 to a dealer.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
There are probably three good reasons why selling through MHD gives an advantage over selling privately particular on MH’s of a higher value.
Warranty
Finance
Reputation ( Buyers have recourse)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are probably three good reasons why selling through MHD gives an advantage over selling privately particular on MH’s of a higher value.
Warranty
Finance
Reputation ( Buyers have recourse)

Do buyers have recourse, isn't it a private sale?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back