Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
As said before just use your phone with google maps.
Personally prefer the tomtom truck. But if you use the ‘car play’ link phone/radio the map comes up on the radio screen assuming it’s a screen version!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
`+1:
Hi Tea Bag and benellioldman1 is this the model you are referring to please?

That is the newer one.
battery is extremely limited, goes off fairly swiftly after 12v feed is switched off.
I run mine plugged in permanetly
You can also remove the speed camera file for France in 2 minutes
I don't bother as it is handy to have especially as I mainly use A ,N & D roads with lots of speed limit changes
I think I remember reading that you’re not on Facebook, Tam.
If that’s correct, how did you update the Xgody maps, please?
In the quote he said Jock of JockandRita did it for him.

I have no probs with the xgody, works well. I have an old tom tom that i can use if this broke down. Not as if they build that many new roads?

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Can anyone shed any light on why when we turn our Aguri on in the motorhome and hit the navigate icon the unit comes on and knows where we are and will tell us of approaching bends speed camara's etc, but it will not let us program where we want to go. We are about ready to open the window and launch it into the nearest hedge as we go along. it works perfectly in the house!

May 2, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Frontier
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Mohawk Mo.
Have you got it yet ?
and or... Are you....LOST ?...... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:🚛
Tea Bag ;)
Hi Tea Bag definately not lost as I have an XGody sat nav!🤣 I can report so far that all good. Tested it on a route yesterday and it was great, good screen size, sits perfectly on dash, clear graphics and easy to use, really good value for money, just need to tweak it a bit. Thank you all for your help and JockandRita and Northernraider for the tips on settings.👍👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Tea Bag definately not lost as I have an XGody sat nav!🤣 I can report so far that all good. Tested it on a route yesterday and it was great, good screen size, sits perfectly on dash, clear graphics and easy to use, really good value for money, just need to tweak it a bit. Thank you all for your help and JockandRita and Northernraider for the tips on settings.👍👍
Glad to know that you are pleased with it Mo. (y)

I have 2 x test routes, ie, a weak bridge route close to us, and a low height bridge route in P/boro. I over set the weight and the height to see if the unit will take me via those hazards. If it does, I know it doesn't contain the "all important" Truck files (.ftr).
Unfortunately, some of the new Chinese units don't come with the Truck files, despite being advertised as Truck Sat Navs.

HTH others,

Jock. :)

May 2, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Frontier
Exp
I'm a newbie

I have 2 x test routes, ie, a weak bridge route close to us, and a low height bridge route in P/boro. I over set the weight and the height to see if the unit will take me via those hazards. If it does, I know it doesn't contain the "all important" Truck files (.ftr).
Unfortunately, some of the new Chinese units don't come with the Truck files, despite being advertised as Truck Sat Navs.

HTH others,

Thanks Jock, good to know and helpful. It will take a bit of tweaking but considering we were looking at Sat Navs around the £300 mark to start with, feel like we have definately bagged a bargain with the XGody, good kit for little money What's not to like! 🤔😁

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks Jock, good to know and helpful. It will take a bit of tweaking but considering we were looking at Sat Navs around the £300 mark to start with, feel like we have definately bagged a bargain with the XGody, good kit for little money What's not to like! 🤔😁
Thanks Mo. :)

The only downside to them is the lack of battery time when unplugged, ie, around 10 - 15 minutes only, so it has to be used whilst plugged in all the time.

Cheers,

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

HTH others,

It's not that type of routing that I think is an issue in the motorhome. Height and weight restrictions are well sign posted. And easy to route around.

It's narrow country lanes that are legally able to be traversed, but are slow going and nerve-wracking if you meet anything coming the other way. What's worse is that you might have to use a narrow lane to reach your campsite, so they can't remove them from their systems. It's these narrow lanes that I think are a greater challenge for a good satnav to correctly judge.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
It's not that type of routing that I think is an issue in the motorhome. Height and weight restrictions are well sign posted. And easy to route around.

It's narrow country lanes that are legally able to be traversed, but are slow going and nerve-wracking if you meet anything coming the other way. What's worse is that you might have to use a narrow lane to reach your campsite, so they can't remove them from their systems. It's these narrow lanes that I think are a greater challenge for a good satnav to correctly judge.
Which is why my settings keep me clear of those type of routes, until necessary, in order to gain access to my final destination. If the bin lorry can get in, or it's on a bus route, that will do for me. (y)
For example, I refuse to go up the A15 and round Lincoln to Brigg and Scunthorpe, when I can go up the A1/A1M/M18/M180, etc, as I have my preferences set for Motorways, then other major routes.

Cheers,

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
For example, I refuse to go up the A15 and round Lincoln to Brigg and Scunthorpe, when I can go up the A1/A1M/M18/M180, etc, as I have my preferences set for Motorways, then other major routes.
Oddly we always pick the Brigg route (we drive from Suffolk to Bridlington a lot) Yes there are a fair amount of roundabouts, but it's reasonably long and straight for majority of route, and ... it's a lot less miles. I bet you it's a gallon or more of diesel on our route to avoid the Brigg/Humber Bridge route. I agree timewise, theres not much in it (ie, it's slower on the Brigg route) but... it's a LOT less miles, and a lot more effecient due to the lower speeds.

Theres not much wrong with the Brigg/A15 route in a motorhome either from our experience.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Which is why my settings keep me clear of those type of routes, until necessary, in order to gain access to my final destination. If the bin lorry can get in, or it's on a bus route, that will do for me. (y)

Cheers,

Hi JockandRita:
Snap .(y)
Tea Bag

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
So if there's no legal restrictions, how does a mapping company decide how easy it is for a 2.05m PVC to traverse a lane, as opposed to a 2.3m coachbuild? Sure, it depends on carriageway width, but is that the minimum, or average? What if there are passing points? What if it's narrow, but there's really good forward visibility? Or is winding and undulating? Or it's heavily trafficked with other larger vehicles, so even though it's not that narrow, it's hard work?

Basically, it's a very hard problem to solve. I'm extremely doubtful that a few software engineers that have probably never driven anything bigger than a car, and have very little data to deal with, will come up with a reliable solution.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Oddly we always pick the Brigg route (we drive from Suffolk to Bridlington a lot) Yes there are a fair amount of roundabouts, but it's reasonably long and straight for majority of route, and ... it's a lot less miles. I bet you it's a gallon or more of diesel on our route to avoid the Brigg/Humber Bridge route. I agree timewise, theres not much in it (ie, it's slower on the Brigg route) but... it's a LOT less miles, and a lot more effecient due to the lower speeds.

Theres not much wrong with the Brigg/A15 route in a motorhome either from our experience.
Having done it many a time over the years, it's a route I prefer not to take. :)

So if there's no legal restrictions, how does a mapping company decide how easy it is for a 2.05m PVC to traverse a lane, as opposed to a 2.3m coachbuild? Sure, it depends on carriageway width, but is that the minimum, or average? What if there are passing points? What if it's narrow, but there's really good forward visibility? Or is winding and undulating? Or it's heavily trafficked with other larger vehicles, so even though it's not that narrow, it's hard work?

Basically, it's a very hard problem to solve. I'm extremely doubtful that a few software engineers that have probably never driven anything bigger than a car, and have very little data to deal with, will come up with a reliable solution.
As an experienced HGV/PSV driver, I research the route and programme waypoints into the route I want to take, ensuring the least amount of hassle for me. :)

Cheers,

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Having done it many a time over the years, it's a route I prefer not to take. :)

As an experienced HGV/PSV driver, I research the route and programme waypoints into the route I want to take, ensuring the least amount of hassle for me. :)

Cheers,

So you aren't using the routing... what's the advantage of a width aware nav?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
So you aren't using the routing... what's the advantage of a width aware nav?
I use the Sat Nav's routing if it is a route I am happy with, more so when abroad where I might not know my way about, but here in the UK where I do mostly know my way about, I don't always agree with it's routing.

You can stop "poking the rabbit" now thanks. :doh:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I use the Sat Nav's routing if it is a route I am happy with, more so when abroad where I might not know my way about, but here in the UK where I do mostly know my way about, I don't always agree with it's routing.

You can stop "poking the rabbit" now thanks. :doh:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
Hi.
Same as above. But,ours is a PVC,so are most Parcel vans and should i get to a restriction on the GIVEN sat nav route ( Which will have been flagged up in advance. Plus speeding etc. ) There will be a diversion for local delivery vans,once off the given route ( With the warnings ) . It then picks up route 2,which is often signed. " Toutes routes " Win Win.
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back