Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
Google maps for simple motorway A to B route.
Magic Earth (with vehicle dimensions) for rural routing round tiny lanes and villages.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
But I think anyone comparing a decent (£300+) SatNav with google maps has never used a decent SatNav. They are chalk and cheese.
Sorry, but that's not been true for a long time. Most of the satnavs now use identical software to the phone app. A dedicated satnav is effectively a cheap tablet that only runs one app.

Google and Apple have the most users, so they collect the most and hence best traffic data. They also use their users to check their mapping and routing at levels that a predominantly offline system like a Garmin ever could.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
" X Gody 9" truck sat nav." .... Only had Tom tom when they first came out...did OK. But being unable to ..Down load updates/program etc Bought a Chinese one off e-bay,that did OK had two of those to get updated maps then bought our first X Gody loved it. This one i have had now for a couple of years " Truck 9" model,came with that years update installed. It will tell you that there are hazards ahead,re weight limits etc,but press the button and it takes you through these on the ordinar y roads ( Words to the effect come up on the screen. At your own peril ;) ( Naughty !! :rolleyes: (y) )) ,
Upside. It does everything i need it to do, the Graphics are magic,came through nearly the centre of Paris one night,could not have gone mutch faster ( Checked tolls in that area timed at 02.30hrs.) and it dawned on me, as i was in the company of lorries at that time......... It was doing its job flawlessly,as it has done from the day we got it.
DOWNSIDE......... Despite me putting in the dimensions..Height/weight/width/length....... IT/....SHE ? :ROFLMAO: will keep saying i am....Speeding?( Now and again.......................... 'ish.
Jennifer shouts at me...... I shout back....Point to the 130km an hour speed sign and say " It ( the X.Gody ) thinks its in a Mega truck....Calma...calma.
I am sure there would be a way to stop this Voice activating..... But......... At least we are still...................... Speaking to each other when this happens...:love::ROFLMAO:(y):rolleyes:🚛🚑
Get one bought.......
Tea Bag

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Apple maps are really good.

I don’t bother with the car sat nav anymore

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi.
" X Gody 9" truck sat nav." .... Only had Tom tom when they first came out...did OK. But being unable to ..Down load updates/program etc Bought a Chinese one off e-bay,that did OK had two of those to get updated maps then bought our first X Gody loved it. This one i have had now for a couple of years " Truck 9" model,came with that years update installed. It will tell you that there are hazards ahead,re weight limits etc,but press the button and it takes you through these on the ordinar y roads ( Words to the effect come up on the screen. At your own peril ;) ( Naughty !! :rolleyes: (y) )) ,
Upside. It does everything i need it to do, the Graphics are magic,came through nearly the centre of Paris one night,could not have gone mutch faster ( Checked tolls in that area timed at 02.30hrs.) and it dawned on me, as i was in the company of lorries at that time......... It was doing its job flawlessly,as it has done from the day we got it.
DOWNSIDE......... Despite me putting in the dimensions..Height/weight/width/length....... IT/....SHE ? :ROFLMAO: will keep saying i am....Speeding?( Now and again.......................... 'ish.
Jennifer shouts at me...... I shout back....Point to the 130km an hour speed sign and say " It ( the X.Gody ) thinks its in a Mega truck....Calma...calma.
I am sure there would be a way to stop this Voice activating..... But......... At least we are still...................... Speaking to each other when this happens...:love::ROFLMAO:(y):rolleyes:🚛🚑
Get one bought.......
Tea Bag
I have had one of these for years travelling down to Italy over 2, 500 miles every year, and it has never let me down. Yes the warning about speed limits is bit annoying but it is the only small gripe of what otherwise is good Sat nav at cheap price. There is if I can be bothered a turn off for the speed warning but it keeps me focused on my speed, and that's only a good thing. Surprised how few people mention them on here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Sorry, but that's not been true for a long time. Most of the satnavs now use identical software to the phone app. A dedicated satnav is effectively a cheap tablet that only runs one app.

Google and Apple have the most users, so they collect the most and hence best traffic data. They also use their users to check their mapping and routing at levels that a predominantly offline system like a Garmin ever could.
OK.

Try this Cornish pub crawl route:
I use it to test SatNav's. I know the route well as my mother lived at one end and my sister at the other, with my niece in the middle.

The St Tudy Inn, St Tudy, PL30 3NN
The White Hart Inn, St Teath, PL30 3JX
The Port William Inn, Tregardock, PL34 0HB

Then 'drive' the route on Google in your virtual motorhome.

The route Google will give you is borderline impossible in a motorhome.
It will also send you down two roads that unless you are capable of reversing 100m uphill with about 1cm clearance on each side I'd not attempt.
You also have a 300 degree hairpin bend on the way

Google will tell you the time is 22mins :LOL:
That is because the speed limit is 60mph!
The realistic speed is 15-20mph

The real route for anything bigger than a Landrover is via Camelford/PL32 9RU
End to end, (minus St Teath) the new route claims to be a minute slower, in reality its 3 miles longer and about 15-20 mins faster.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
OK.

I use it to test SatNav's. I know the route well as my mother lived at one end and my sister at the other, with my niece in the middle.

It will also send you down two roads that unless you are capable of reversing 100m uphill with about 1cm clearance on each side I'd not attempt.

End to end, (minus St Teath) the new route claims to be a minute slower, in reality its 3 miles longer and about 15-20 mins faster.

The TT route from TT MyDrive with my vehicle details added.

How does it look?
IMG_2370.png

Ian

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The TT route from TT MyDrive with my vehicle details added.

How does it look?
IanView attachment 934439
On a TT motorbike, it would be exciting.
In a classic car, as long as you were not to fussy about the paintwork, it would be a lovely drive with amazing views.
In a Motorhome it would be 'interesting'.

But I'm glad to see it's not made the Google mistake of the no entry slip road onto the A39, also put in the Port William pub and see if it takes you actually down to Trebarwith beach, around the hairpin.

1723390458400.png

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Apple maps are really good.

I don’t bother with the car sat nav anymore

OK.

The difference is I expect Google to send me down a car route. And 99% of the time, it's fine. Whereas several of the satnavs I've tried (TomTom, RoadLords, Sygic Truck) that claim to use my vehicle size still fail. They've all sent be down a 6'6" route in Norfolk that's been in place for at least a decade. They all think a width restriction in Bicester is in the wrong place. And Sygic told me to turn down a narrow track in Ireland because the route ahead was restricted. When the sign actually said is was specifically for vehicles over 3t. And they'll all still send you down a narrow lane because they have little idea what it means for your vehicle. My opinion is a satnav that you think is going to save you from getting into an awkward spot, but isn't that reliable, is worse than not having that feature at all.

I do like the idea of creating standardised satnav trials though.

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Google maps for simple motorway A to B route.
Magic Earth (with vehicle dimensions) for rural routing round tiny lanes and villages.
Following the demise of my old Garmin Dezl in Spain earlier in the year, I’ve since been using Google Maps and Magic Earth, too, on my travels. I will admit that the Garmin had its shortcomings, however, my experience is that both Google Maps and Magic Earth have far more than the Garmin ever threw at me.

Google Maps has sent me and my Motorhome on a completely undesirable long-way-round ‘scenic tour’ on narrow country lanes for no apparent reason - i.e. where a more direct route to my destination was available, and that via a main road.
Google Maps has also indicated other pointless detours where, by staying on the road I was already on, would have led directly to the same place. (One such example being routing me off a main road in Reading, then through a maze of housing schemes, then back on to the same main road to reach my destination. No delays on the main road.) Why, why, why?
I appreciate that Google Maps doesn’t ‘do’ vehicle dimensions’, but why would it do these detours even if I was driving a car?
So, using suggested Google Maps routes needs an awful lot of careful scrutiny before committing to them.

Despite having my vehicle width stated as 2.5M, Magic Earth tried to route me via a road which was very clearly sign posted as having a 6’6” width limit. (6’6” equals 1.98M approximately.) Again, just why?

Since an equivalent Garmin replacement is around £400 these days, I think I might invest in a cheapo Xgody.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Any thoughts on why TT now has a separate map for camper routings?
This is a relatively recent change for them; previously they used the same map when calculating car routes and Motorhome routes. Now they have a dedicated map for Motorhome routes.

Ian

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Which Sat Navs have let you down?

Ian

TomTom. One exploded (literally) and the second one round runs more slowly than a dog with no legs. And don't get me started on how long it takes to update...

Google maps runs on an old tablet without any problems - no updating required. Also runs on my phone, and my wife's phone. And on my old phone and my wife's old phone.

And (in my view) offers better directions than the TomTom every did.

Maybe Garmin (or others) are better, but I see no reason to spend money when I already have the best (in my opinion).

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Whatever you use, a physical map should not be forgotten, then at least you have an overall view of the route.

Anyone who follows a satnav (whatever it is) blindly (and lazily) can have no complaints when they end up on a goat track.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OK.

This is what Google gave me.
1723452910135.png

This is what Garmin gave me with motorhome settings (taking in the three pubs you mention - down and up the A39 to get to The White Hart Inn).
1723453001461.png

Jun 27, 2023
Castleford, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
I got a TomTom pro so that I could put in all the dimensions and weights and used it last month for a three week trip through Spain and France and I must say I thought it was rubbish took me through 3.5 weight limits even though I preset it with our 3.85 weight and also tried to take us down some really sketchy roads, ended up using Apple Maps, the TomTom and my better judgement.
I really wouldn't trust it on its own.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The issue is that there's very few companies that create the base maps. There are lots of satnavs units and apps, but they are all using one of a very small number of mapping sources. And I don't believe any of those handful of mapping companies is focused on getting their width, height and weight restrictions mapped correctly because it doesn't make enough money to be worth the hassle. They get their cash from cars and mapping businesses. And I'm not even sure -how- you'd decide how easy a country lane is for a motorhome, there are just too many parameters.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Google maps and navigation. The features it has are years ahead of the dedicated units, and free.. I'm surprised anyone still buys tomtoms etc, they are obsolete vintage things.. 🤔 Maybe they're retro cool 🤔🤣

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Google maps and navigation. The features it has are years ahead of the dedicated units, and free.. I'm surprised anyone still buys tomtoms etc, they are obsolete vintage things.. 🤔 Maybe they're retro cool 🤔🤣
Until Google Maps takes you down an inappropriate route for a motorhome as #45 above.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It does try sometimes but I'm too clever for it 😎👌
So, we agree it isn't infallible just like all mapping software.

How would you have avoided the inappropriate routing given in #45 above?:unsure:

Our Garmin sat nav software has got us into much less difficulties than Google Maps, eg sent us along a "road" that our mirrors were brushing the hedging on either side (still got some of the marks still left on the sides!) after a major diversion when the River Exe washed away the main road the day before.:swear2:

Why did we follow that route? Because folk on here said Google Maps is great and was only adding a few minutes to the journey (Garmin said something like an additional 30-40 mile diversion). Never again.

If we'd followed Garmin it would have repaid the outlay on that one journey. For us, we'll stick with properly (in the vast majority of cases) configured software in future.(y)

May 2, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Frontier
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi.
" X Gody 9" truck sat nav." .... Only had Tom tom when they first came out...did OK. But being unable to ..Down load updates/program etc Bought a Chinese one off e-bay,that did OK had two of those to get updated maps then bought our first X Gody loved it. This one i have had now for a couple of years " Truck 9" model
Hi Tea Bag and benellioldman1 is this the model you are referring to please?

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011

I can't refer to that one because I have had mine for years.That is the make of Sat nav but mine as a smaller screen, but rest assured if the quality is the same as mine you will have no problem. They are available in a range of sizes.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009

Hi Mohawk.
" Yes ".. Just fetched mine from the motor. The one shown on the advert has X10 in the bottom right hand corner,mine, an Xcody 9" Truck sat Nav. has X4. I have had it a while and as i said, it came with THAT YEARS update.... Check...... if you can,what years maps are on it .
I am NOT a money bags by a long shot,but at these prices you can have a new one when the mapping starts to let you down.... fingers crossed..... it will be a few more miles yet. Best of luck.
Tea Bag. 🚛 :drinks:.(y)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
So, we agree it isn't infallible just like all mapping software.

How would you have avoided the inappropriate routing given in #45 above?:unsure:

Our Garmin sat nav software has got us into much less difficulties than Google Maps, eg sent us along a "road" that our mirrors were brushing the hedging on either side (still got some of the marks still left on the sides!) after a major diversion when the River Exe washed away the main road the day before.:swear2:

Why did we follow that route? Because folk on here said Google Maps is great and was only adding a few minutes to the journey (Garmin said something like an additional 30-40 mile diversion). Never again.

If we'd followed Garmin it would have repaid the outlay on that one journey. For us, we'll stick with properly (in the vast majority of cases) configured software in future.(y)
Pleased you like it, my experience of Garmin isn't good, I bought a motorbike one last year and the direction announcements are inferior and sometimes left turns were unannounced. The last straw was the base kept disconnecting power and the thing kept shutting down, wasn't as if if was cheap it was the best part of £300. I sent it back.
I had to hold my snigger back when my biking friends were looking for a destination on their Garmin... Searching.. Not found.. Oh coordinates then... Searching.....20 seconds later... Ah found it mate.
I started typing it on Google maps and auto complete found it before I finished, with photo of destination, reviews, website link, share.. The features are endless 😎

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Pleased you like it, my experience of Garmin isn't good, I bought a motorbike one last year and the direction announcements are inferior and sometimes left turns were unannounced. The last straw was the base kept disconnecting power and the thing kept shutting down, wasn't as if if was cheap it was the best part of £300. I sent it back.
I had to hold my snigger back when my biking friends were looking for a destination on their Garmin... Searching.. Not found.. Oh coordinates then... Searching.....20 seconds later... Ah found it mate.
I started typing it on Google maps and auto complete found it before I finished, with photo of destination, reviews, website link, share.. The features are endless 😎
Never had that type of issue with 4 different Garmin models. If we had we'd have sent it back for refund.

One we did as it had a firmware problem and Garmin immediately sent a refund on the trust we'd return to the purchase point. No problem with the replacement unit.

Interested in trying to understand how would you have avoided the route shown in #45 when travelling in a motorhome? If we could we'd maybe re-look at Google Maps but ..............

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Never had that type of issue with 4 different Garmin models. If we had we'd have sent it back for refund.

One we did as it had a firmware problem and Garmin immediately sent a refund on the trust we'd return to the purchase point. No problem with the replacement unit.

Interested in trying to understand how would you have avoided the route shown in #45 when travelling in a motorhome? If we could we'd maybe re-look at Google Maps but ..............
I don't turn down small roads, it does try and stitch me up sometimes admittedly . I quickly switch to map view and stick to the main roads.
Sometimes especially on rural routes I just have the map screen on and take the signs for the towns and cities, that never fails 👌

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I don't turn down small roads, it does try and stitch me up sometimes admittedly . I quickly switch to map view and stick to the main roads.
Sometimes especially on rural routes I just have the map screen on and take the signs for the towns and cities, that never fails 👌
I'll stick with Garmin then as it very rarely needs manual intervention when travelling. Fall back will continue to be a road atlas.

The issue I had in Cornwall started as a normal two-way road but ended up as a very narrow lane after the farm it was serving (milk tanker access, I think?).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back