Which is the best SatNav? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Long term tablet CoPliot user, not going to says its the best as not tried all the others but it works for us, it does do the odd stupid shortcut, but setting your road preferences makes a big difference. We like it as the controls for moving the map around to check route and adjust are very easy, multiple profiles takes care of the tolls or not. Integrates well with P4N, Search4Sites and iOverlander and can install on multiple devices (phones and old tablet) which is very handy

We have leant to use in conjunction with Google Maps mainly for the satelitte view to check small/local roads and routes through towns, mid journey

If you are over 3.5t and over 3m high then a sat nav that routes with dimensions is very handy, we've never had an issue with height or weight, width length however is not on all maps so thats why we often check. If we were 3.5 and under 2.8m then could probably get away with Google maps.

Changing van and that will have Garmin Tread ?? built in so that may test our CoPliot usage:unsure:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
This is what Google gave me.
View attachment 934695

This is what Garmin gave me with motorhome settings (taking in the three pubs you mention - down and up the A39 to get to The White Hart Inn).
View attachment 934696
The Google route is not realistic in a motorhome.
I'd suggest for a non-local or not confident driver in a large car that route would give many nightmares.

The Garmin route is the correct one.
It's perfectly drivable in a motorhome.
And in a car would be considerably faster than the Google route most of the time.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2025
Exp
Since 2007
Worst sat nav i have ever used, it can't even get us from storage to the main road, so no way I can trust it abroad we have 2 old tom toms, rider and no idea which the other is. John tends to use waze in the car. But not compatible with my system.
Have had my Garmin Camper for around 6 years now and it’s never let us down tbh. Can enter size of vehicle to avoid the smaller roads which is great to have. Nothing not to like.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Google maps is ok for main roads and motorways etc if say you want to get to Bristol from York, trying to get to a camping area of business premises it’s totally useless, down unclassified roads, roads/lanes that aren’t even in use anymore.
It’s dreadfully atrocious, takes you off the main road where you are going straight to the place, through little lanes, housing estates. It’s the worst navigation system for a Motorhome I’ve ever come across.
It’s not an occasional error it’s virtually every trip, sorry it was every trip until I deleted it.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Google maps is ok for main roads and motorways etc if say you want to get to Bristol from York, trying to get to a camping area of business premises it’s totally useless, down unclassified roads, roads/lanes that aren’t even in use anymore.
It’s dreadfully atrocious, takes you off the main road where you are going straight to the place, through little lanes, housing estates. It’s the worst navigation system for a Motorhome I’ve ever come across.
It’s not an occasional error it’s virtually every trip, sorry it was every trip until I deleted it.
Really? Because I use it literally every trip. Through the depths of Birmingham. Norfolk, Cornwall, all through Ireland and 6 months in Europe where we moved about an hour every day. I think the routing for cars is probably the best. And it's very rare (especially in Europe) that is have an issue. Just about the only thing you've got to be aware of is if it cuts the corner around a rural town down a lane. So it'll be telling you to make a turn off the main road. And as you approach, you can see it's a bit narrow. But right there on the screen, it says it's a minute longer to carry straight on. No fuss. I find this less of a hassle than following Sygic Truck because it has dubious routing far more frequently and still sends me down the occasional lane.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
We have used Garmin whilst sailing for years with no problems so went with the Garmin Camper in the motorhome but with one proviso we always check route against a good old paper map.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We have used Garmin whilst sailing for years with no problems so went with the Garmin Camper in the motorhome but with one proviso we always check route against a good old paper map.
OK before the Continental motorhome owners jump in given you've got an AT like us should you not be using a laminated chart instead of a paper map?:whistle2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Not my experience at all! Used Google maps via Android Auto virtually all the time and over the past 4 years and 40k miles its been great. That's throughout Europe, into the Balkans, to the far end of Türkiye and a bit of the UK.
One thing to be aware of is that it will cut corners to shorten the distance even if only by 100m, but a glance at the map and this is obvious and therefore avoidable.
A couple of times it's route has been through a low bridge, or weight restrictions, but these are signed, so avoidable with a bit of common sense.
I couldn't tolerate the option to input height and weight as for us in a 6.4m PVC, and 3m tall with a roof box, and 4250kg, our Avtex Tourer (Garmin) pretty much only routed us along major roads or motorways unless I set it to 'car'.
It boils down to what you are comfortable with, and for me Google, Waze and Magic Earth are far superior to the standalones in terms of routing and in particular in terms of traffic and hazard avoidance.

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Hi.
" X Gody 9" truck sat nav." .... Only had Tom tom when they first came out...did OK. But being unable to ..Down load updates/program etc Bought a Chinese one off e-bay,that did OK had two of those to get updated maps then bought our first X Gody loved it. This one i have had now for a couple of years " Truck 9" model,came with that years update installed. It will tell you that there are hazards ahead,re weight limits etc,but press the button and it takes you through these on the ordinar y roads ( Words to the effect come up on the screen. At your own peril ;) ( Naughty !! :rolleyes: (y) )) ,
Upside. It does everything i need it to do, the Graphics are magic,came through nearly the centre of Paris one night,could not have gone mutch faster ( Checked tolls in that area timed at 02.30hrs.) and it dawned on me, as i was in the company of lorries at that time......... It was doing its job flawlessly,as it has done from the day we got it.
DOWNSIDE......... Despite me putting in the dimensions..Height/weight/width/length....... IT/....SHE ? :ROFLMAO: will keep saying i am....Speeding?( Now and again.......................... 'ish.
Jennifer shouts at me...... I shout back....Point to the 130km an hour speed sign and say " It ( the X.Gody ) thinks its in a Mega truck....Calma...calma.
I am sure there would be a way to stop this Voice activating..... But......... At least we are still...................... Speaking to each other when this happens...:love::ROFLMAO:(y):rolleyes:🚛🚑
Get one bought.......
Tea Bag
Couldn’t agree more. We have had same xgoody type unit for sometime. Don’t bother putting in dimensions of van though. Tried it once & it almost doubled the journey.
We also have & use paper maps for general guidance & rough direction.
Generally speaking it’s been excellent & uses Tom Tom maps I believe?
Cheaper to buy a new sat nav than map updates. So we normally get another every 5 years or so. Think the last one was £40 or so.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Had a Garmin Camper a few years ago, git rid as it took me on some strange routes adding miles to what should have been easy routes. I found it was over cautious with the routing. I tend to use Waze on my phone now. If i want a specific route ill program it on my Garmin motorcycle sat nav.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Garmin is about 15 different departments that don't talk to each other at all. They have competing products against themselves. Very similar products with completely different software and hardware. They are a bonkers company. I use Garmin for my sports tracking watch (fine, because it's so basic) and on my bicycle (effective, but a user interface nightmare). If I want to plan a bike route, it's pretty poor. I use Komoot (which is OpenStreetMap mapping) and export to the bike computer. Just because Garmin are good in one market, it doesn't make them good elsewhere.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not my experience at all! Used Google maps via Android Auto virtually all the time and over the past 4 years and 40k miles its been great. That's throughout Europe, into the Balkans, to the far end of Türkiye and a bit of the UK.
One thing to be aware of is that it will cut corners to shorten the distance even if only by 100m, but a glance at the map and this is obvious and therefore avoidable.
A couple of times it's route has been through a low bridge, or weight restrictions, but these are signed, so avoidable with a bit of common sense.
I couldn't tolerate the option to input height and weight as for us in a 6.4m PVC, and 3m tall with a roof box, and 4250kg, our Avtex Tourer (Garmin) pretty much only routed us along major roads or motorways unless I set it to 'car'.
It boils down to what you are comfortable with, and for me Google, Waze and Magic Earth are far superior to the standalones in terms of routing and in particular in terms of traffic and hazard avoidance.
All depends how you set up a Garmin. It will cover all the points you raise above without recourse to a map.
You can even tell it to avoid motorways if you want.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
OK before the Continental motorhome owners jump in given you've got an AT like us should you not be using a laminated chart instead of a paper map?:whistle2:
Admiralty Charts are like a good book loads of information on them, Imray charts are pretty good too.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Mohawk Mo.
Have you got it yet ?
and or... Are you....LOST ?...... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:🚛
Tea Bag ;)

Aug 11, 2021
North Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Scout SE
Exp
Since1963 with parents
Hi Tea Bag and benellioldman1 is this the model you are referring to please?

I also have the X4. It is a bit quirky, but I know how it works now. There is a Facebook Group for updating maps (a pretty good global coverage) and tech advice, but they are a bit snarky if you havent followed the obvious instructions in the files section. Excellent value, battery is extremely limited, goes off fairly swiftly after 12v feed is switched off. Alo, the audio player is carp. You can also remove the speed camera file for France in 2 minutes from a PC or Lappie. It is cheaper now than when I bought mine for£69.99 over 2 years ago.

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Is there any way to update the maps other than by Facebook? (Not a member of Facebook, and don’t fancy becoming one.)
Cheers. 👍

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I also have the X4. It is a bit quirky, but I know how it works now. There is a Facebook Group for updating maps (a pretty good global coverage) and tech advice, but they are a bit snarky if you havent followed the obvious instructions in the files section. Excellent value, battery is extremely limited, goes off fairly swiftly after 12v feed is switched off. Alo, the audio player is carp. You can also remove the speed camera file for France in 2 minutes from a PC or Lappie. It is cheaper now than when I bought mine for£69.99 over 2 years ago.
Hi Lostin Wales.
" I know LESS now,than when Jennifer stole me from Mummy ..... DOH.... " Thanks though for your input, the G/son is in the UK... But his Mum.. ( Jennifer and my daughter ) is nearby. She is my " Go to "......... even when the TV/Big sat TV dish goes on the blink...( AND... What slot the softner and Soap liquid goes in the washing machine.... SSshhhhhh. let it be OUR secret.. ;) ) and SHE will do it for me if and when she comes around to check we haven't.......................................... Been NAUGHTY... ( I WISH...:love:🚑)... " X4 ROOOOOLS KO !! "
Tea Bag.
PS. Silly me.... I have to charge ours for a few minutes before we set off,but it holds while stopped overnight..... but.... ( If jennifer falls asleep.......during the evening...... while the wheels are in motion.........it MAKES me keep going...........;)🚛:ROFLMAO: )

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Another vote for the cheap Chinese xgody, I think mine is about 4/5 years old now . Got updated maps last year from JockandRita you can use it in truck mode for putting in dimensions etc but I generally just use car profile as the truck one takes you on lots of detours . But I've used it throughout Europe and in Turkey at the start of the year .. its as good and as bad as any other satnav I've used. Let's face it they can all have their moments.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Another vote for the cheap Chinese xgody, I think mine is about 4/5 years old now . Got updated maps last year from JockandRita you can use it in truck mode for putting in dimensions etc but I generally just use car profile as the truck one takes you on lots of detours . But I've used it throughout Europe and in Turkey at the start of the year .. its as good and as bad as any other satnav I've used. Let's face it they can all have their moments.
That's because of 3.5t commercial weight limits Tam, most of which don't apply to MHs/camping cars.

I have 2 x profiles, ie, Truck Motorhome set at 6850Kgs, and Car Motorhome set at 3490Kgs but with all other dimensions the same as the Truck. The latter allows me to use routes which in some countries are banned to trucks, hence the detours, (eg, France, Austria, and Switzerland).

I came out of Spain and into France once, still in Truck mode, and the Sat Nav kept trying to send me off the main route. This was due to the approaching town having a 3.5t weight limit................but for commercial goods vehicles only. I reverted to Car mode for the remainder of my time in France, then back to Truck mode for the UK.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's because of 3.5t commercial weight limits Tam, most of which don't apply to MHs/camping cars.

I have 2 x profiles, ie, Truck Motorhome set at 6850Kgs, and Car Motorhome set at 3490Kgs but with all other dimensions the same as the Truck. The latter allows me to use routes which in some countries are banned to trucks, hence the detours, (eg, France, Austria, and Switzerland).

I came out of Spain and into France once, still in Truck mode, and the Sat Nav kept trying to send me off the main route. This was due to the approaching town having a 3.5t weight limit................but for commercial goods vehicles only. I reverted to Car mode for the remainder of my time in France, then back to Truck mode for the UK.

HTH,

Jock. :)
Yes Italy and Greece had a lot of places where trucks were banned without a permit .. on one occasion I was 2.5 hours detour that I only realised after I'd done it. Haven't been on truck profile since lol . But I'll have to have a play about with it

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
I think I remember reading that you’re not on Facebook, Tam.
If that’s correct, how did you update the Xgody maps, please?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back