Which is the best SatNav? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
About to buy a new Sat Nav, which one would you recommend. Mainly used more abroad Europe. I await you guidance and suggestions.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Not, a so called motorhome specific one.
We use Apple Maps or Google through the head unit or a fairly basic Garmin for use abroad when not wanting to use data.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I used to use Google maps on a tablet and found it mostly ok but it started doing odd things, usually at the worst possible moment.
So I bought a Garmin 780 camper which allows vehicle dimensions to be entered.
But on testing it locally I found it was avoiding perfectly acceptable roads so I switched to car profile.
I probably should have experimented with settings but didn't.
I might do before next big trip at end of August.
Apart from that it's good once you get used to the difference operating system and best ways to program

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I use google maps f ind them up to date with live traffic - and I should listen to it! Had it on recently going to meet my daughter in central Bristol. Why is it taking me all round Temple Meads to get to Baldwin Street? I know the way! I then proceeded to drive through a bus gate šŸ™ and nearly drove through a second, they were not there last time!

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
I use google maps f ind them up to date with live traffic - and I should listen to it! Had it on recently going to meet my daughter in central Bristol. Why is it taking me all round Temple Meads to get to Baldwin Street? I know the way! I then proceeded to drive through a bus gate šŸ™ and nearly drove through a second, they were not there last time!
Briftol ain't like it used to be like šŸ˜‰

CheersšŸ»

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I use a Garmin Camper and have had no issues.
Worst sat nav i have ever used, it can't even get us from storage to the main road, so no way I can trust it abroad we have 2 old tom toms, rider and no idea which the other is. John tends to use waze in the car. But not compatible with my system.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Worst sat nav i have ever used, it can't even get us from storage to the main road, so no way I can trust it abroad we have 2 old tom toms, rider and no idea which the other is. John tends to use waze in the car. But not compatible with my system.
Have used Garmin sat navs for more then 15 years and never had a real issue, but I always say a sat nav is a guide for the wise and fact for the foolish.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
TomTom Go Camper supplemented with Google Maps on occasions when TomTom wants to go off-piste. Its never really let us down big-time, but likes to try & cut corners. Traffic info is generally very good and voice activation useful.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have used Garmin sat navs for more then 15 years and never had a real issue, but I always say a sat nav is a guide for the wise and fact for the foolish.
My point is if it gets it wrong when I know it is wrong, where is it ending me when I have no idea. Maps are ok but not so good for the finer points

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My opinion (as someone who has previously coded maps and traffic data for satnavs and has a vague understanding of what goes into them) is that the vehicle size satnavs are mostly expensive placebo. They occasionally get it right, but that's weighed against them getting it wrong fairly frequently, and having worse mapping, worse routing, worse traffic data and worse user interfaces than the freebie phone based car navs.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Freebie Magic Earth app via Apple CarPlay to the Fiat Uconnect head unit. Has a ā€˜Truckā€™ mode which will take vehicle dimensions, overall and axle weight, and speed settings.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
About to buy a new Sat Nav, which one would you recommend. Mainly used more abroad Europe. I await you guidance and suggestions.
As you've seen already you'll get a multitude of "what we use is the best" answers.

The best is dependent upon the functionality you require and how you plan to use it.

For us, it's always been Garmin with our current units being a Camper 760 and Camper780. We combine these with BaseCamp on desktops / laptops which has thousands of custom poi's loaded. Routes planned on there and transferred to the device.

Others will, of course, disagree as that's not how they would want to route plan.

Given that, suggest you think about the functionality (weights, dimensions, live traffic updates, etc) you want and how you will use (pre-planning, ability to load customs poi's, mobile data availability, etc).

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We have Renaul Master with its own TomTom, I do not like the image. We also have a Garmin, they sometimes give different routes. Waze works well and like Google maps is clear and works well too, Garmin managed to fall off screen and was crushed in door. Garmin replace, for a nominal fee, broken units.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Magic Earth app on phone (itā€™s free) and TomTom satnav (in Europe much better more up to date maps than Garmin).

When driving TomTom is on all the time. Phone gets used for so many other things when travelling so Magic Earth is just used occasionally to check TomTom is not going mad!

On TomTom we really like the two route options ā€œfastestā€ or ā€œwindingā€. ā€œWindingā€ has taken us of motorways and lead us to delightful places on wonderful routes.

Then when parked up and out walking an app called OsmAnd (yes the name is not helping them get popular!) itā€™s full of paths and tracks that I have not found in any other (free) map app.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My opinion (as someone who has previously coded maps and traffic data for satnavs and has a vague understanding of what goes into them) is that the vehicle size satnavs are mostly expensive placebo. They occasionally get it right, but that's weighed against them getting it wrong fairly frequently, and having worse mapping, worse routing, worse traffic data and worse user interfaces than the freebie phone based car navs.
Ever since I tried to get a sensible route out of Camper sat nav I have suspected that. Thank you for confirming it. Phone and Apple CarPlay (or Android Auto) are my preference. These days bang up to the minute traffic information is often the most important function of a navigator.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Maps to work out where you are going.
Sat Nav to tell you where you are.

I been using satnav's since the 1990's (when they were first made legal)

The one I currently use on the moho is an "Avtex Tourer Three"
which is also sold as the "Garmin 795"

It works.
You can put in the dimensions and weight of your vehicle.
It also recognises realistic speeds, so it knows we can't do 100mph on the Autobahn, just because that is the speed limit.
It mostly uses larger roads, to avoid potential single lane road issues.
It has a setting to show campsites, which we have found very useful.

I also occasionally use the 'traffic' feature of Google maps, as it can be more up to date with live traffic data than the SatNav.
But I think anyone comparing a decent (Ā£300+) SatNav with google maps has never used a decent SatNav. They are chalk and cheese.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back