Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We were unexpectedly 'stuck' in the van the other night and I managed to make up a meal from leftovers in the fridge and I got to wondering if it was sensible to have an emergency meal in the Van for such time. My mind wandered to a tin of beans with sausages in and a tin of new potatoes as they would last for years in a cupboard somewhere. Pretty boring, but we only have x2 gas rings - no Oven or Microwave. So I'm asking what others have if anything and if you can think of anything a little less boring!

Thanks.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We always have enough food to cook for 2-3 days so there's always meat and fish in the freezer, fresh onions, mushrooms, garlic, pasta, rice, noodles, cous cous, bacon, and eggs, and part baked bread too
OK we enjoy our food

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We always have enough food to cook for 2-3 days so there's always meat and fish in the freezer, fresh onions, mushrooms, garlic, pasta, rice, noodles, cous cous, bacon, and eggs, and part baked bread too
OK we enjoy our food
I've got payload envy 😂😂

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Oh and olives there is always an out of date tin somewhere 🤔😁👍
No, not never, ever, has there or will there ever be olives in my van! :imoutahere:

Silly questions ... can you cook FB pie on a hob? And part baked bread?

A non emergency meal is when the takeaway or supermarket ISN'T closed, or it's not raining heavily, etc. ;) We tend to only pack what we know for sure we'll need - 5.4m van you see ...
Yes, you can heat a FB pie on a hob. In a deep frying pan with a small amount of water in and a place on top. Need to keep an eye on the water.

I've got payload envy 😂😂
I've got space envy! 🤣

I have a food crate which is always prepped and ready to go out into my van. I always pack at least one extra days worth of supplies, ever since hearing of people trapped at an event overnight... It has stood me in good stead a few times, most recently earlier this year when my trip plans changed and I was unexpectedly away for longer than planned. OK, in this instance I could have gone off to search for supplies, but it was much less hassle to know that I had sufficient on board already.

My 'emergency meal' would probably either be a tin from the crate, of chicken in white sauce, with a tin of broad beans and some seasoning and herbs. Or a tin of cullen skink! Or possibly an omelette depending on what I could scrape together to create it.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
OK we enjoy our food

2-3 days…😳 that’ll last me 2-3 weeks….😎

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015
We were unexpectedly 'stuck' in the van the other night and I managed to make up a meal from leftovers in the fridge and I got to wondering if it was sensible to have an emergency meal in the Van for such time. My mind wandered to a tin of beans with sausages in and a tin of new potatoes as they would last for years in a cupboard somewhere. Pretty boring, but we only have x2 gas rings - no Oven or Microwave. So I'm asking what others have if anything and if you can think of anything a little less boring!

Thanks.
MRE ration packs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back