What is your Emergency Motorhome meal? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We were unexpectedly 'stuck' in the van the other night and I managed to make up a meal from leftovers in the fridge and I got to wondering if it was sensible to have an emergency meal in the Van for such time. My mind wandered to a tin of beans with sausages in and a tin of new potatoes as they would last for years in a cupboard somewhere. Pretty boring, but we only have x2 gas rings - no Oven or Microwave. So I'm asking what others have if anything and if you can think of anything a little less boring!

Thanks.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Pasta is a good basic for us. We’ve always got tinned tomatoes, sardines, anchovies, chilli and garlic. Sometimes we’ve eggs and bacon for a carbonara.

Bean stews are great too - fry whatever leftover veg you have, ideally some onions and garlic too, add tinned tomatoes if you like, and beans of your choice - mine is butter beans. Add sausages if you have them.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Lazy tart's tea.......

Tin corned beef, cubed
Tin new potatoes, sliced (or pack of instant mash)
Tin peas or carrots or peas and carrots or other veg

Put all into a saucepan and add just enough water to cover.

Add a stockpot or gravy granules if you have them.

One burner on the hob and a meal for 4 people.

Serve with bread if you are really hungry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Tin new potatoes, sliced (or pack of instant mash)
Ah, you've just reminded me - have you tried Idahoan instant potato?

I'll be the first to admit I can be a bit snooty about "packet stuff" but this is ridiculously yummy, particularly in a van with the windows steaming up as it piddles down outside :giggle:

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007

I'll be the first to admit I can be a bit snooty about "packet stuff" but this is ridiculously yummy, particularly in a van with the windows steaming up as it piddles down outside :giggle:
You can buy it in pots too, just add boiling water(y)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Yes, I buy in packs of 12 from Amazon. It comes in various varieties.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Love the stuff. Add a bit of extra butter or cheese occasionally too.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I thought, like most people, there is always some veg in the fridge. Based on the posts, it seems most are tinned food aficionados! 🤷‍♂️

Mrs Carpmart knocks up a veg soup with what ever veg/salad items we have, with onions (always knocking about too) maybe that old spud that you have to pluck the shoots off all lobbed in the pan with some veg stock.

If we are really hungry, she has some of the micro pasta or couscous that gets dropped in at the end. 🤤

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
We always have a selection of freeze dried or dehydrated packet meals from Go Outdoors or similar.... Lurk at the back of the cupboard for years without worrying if they will spoil.
The chocolate fudge cake mix does seem to disappear quicker than anything else. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
We always have a selection of freeze dried or dehydrated packet meals from Go Outdoors or similar.... Lurk at the back of the cupboard for years without worrying if they will spoil.
The chocolate fudge cake mix does seem to disappear quicker than anything else. ::bigsmile:

Funny that!! 🤣

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I thought, like most people, there is always some veg in the fridge. Based on the posts, it seems most are tinned food aficionados! 🤷‍♂️
Yebbut, we're discussing 'emergency' meals. If I had some veg available then concocting something to eat wouldn't be an emergency.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Yebbut, we're discussing 'emergency' meals. If I had some veg available then concocting something to eat wouldn't be an emergency.

There is always veg…..no?

How far from civilisation are we talking and for how long before it’s an emergency? I’m a good fisherman you see! 😇

Passata with some added chilli flakes and some pasta will keep you going; Penne Aribiata 😉

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Block of cheese , always have one of them, crisps, beer and or wine

I am sure we are not alone with that fall back option , just first to admit it 😁

Oh and olives there is always an out of date tin somewhere 🤔😁👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back