What is your Emergency Motorhome meal? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We were unexpectedly 'stuck' in the van the other night and I managed to make up a meal from leftovers in the fridge and I got to wondering if it was sensible to have an emergency meal in the Van for such time. My mind wandered to a tin of beans with sausages in and a tin of new potatoes as they would last for years in a cupboard somewhere. Pretty boring, but we only have x2 gas rings - no Oven or Microwave. So I'm asking what others have if anything and if you can think of anything a little less boring!

Thanks.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
As previously mentioned - butter makes almost anything taste better.

I have recently ditched the highly processed oils and started cooking with butter and extra virgin olive oil.

Pasta served with sautéed diced fresh tomatoes, spring onions, courgette, olives, cheese, cooked meat - even Spam! 🤣

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Mutsubis fuso/canter
Exp
5 years
Apart from baked beans, tinned salmon (nice on toast with cheese then grilled), we have packets of this type of thing. (Other flavours available)
5267111.png
Our motorhome is our "emergency grab bag" so the is always at least 2 weeks worth of non perishable food on board.
Ohhh... and wine (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Tin of cassoulet (I keep a couple stacked away after French trips) or a tinned All Day Breakfast, or....
A tin of each: stewed steak or frankfurters, carrots, peas, butter beans and pots. We still call it 'Coastguard stew' from the years when it used to be our emergency meal on the yacht. In very bad weather heated in the non-spill pressure cooker secured with the pan clamps on the hob we'd have: Packet of savoury rice with the addition of a heaped spoonful of curry powder - perfect when cold and wet.
Cassoulet!? I had to Google that! 🤣 sound like one I have to look out for when in France on the way home 👍😁

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Silly questions ... can you cook FB pie on a hob? And part baked bread?

A non emergency meal is when the takeaway or supermarket ISN'T closed, or it's not raining heavily, etc. ;) We tend to only pack what we know for sure we'll need - 5.4m van you see ...

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
I thought, like most people, there is always some veg in the fridge. Based on the posts, it seems most are tinned food aficionados! 🤷‍♂️

I’ll assume you’re being funny / sarcastic . . . I do not think most of us are tinned food aficionados at all. In my van the jars and packets to which I refer have been there, untouched, for 12 months and need a thorough review before I next go away.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Silly questions ... can you cook FB pie on a hob? And part baked bread?

No idea about part baked bread but I have heated up a pasty or quiche in a dry frying pan with a lid on.
Heat at the very lowest and keep an eye on it.

What’s an FB pie?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I’ll assume you’re being funny / sarcastic . . . I do not think most of us are tinned food aficionados at all. In my van the jars and packets to which I refer have been there, untouched, for 12 months and need a thorough review before I next go away.

I was actually thinking, having read your first post on this topic, I need to find a way to park up next to you and enjoy some of your amazingly creative and delicious sounding cuisine. 😉

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
I was actually thinking, having read your first post on this topic, I need to find a way to park up next to you and enjoy some of your amazingly creative and delicious sounding cuisine. 😉

Oh, you charmer you . . . but if I am cooking you get to do ALL the washing up!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back