what about this new ferry service (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Flawed logic methinks, more lorries to join the ever increasing queues unless something is done to relieve the bottleneck
No simple maths. If due to delays a lorry can only do 2 journeys in the time taken to do 3 journeys previously, to do the same number of journeys you need more lorries. The number of journeys across the water remains the same, hence no need for more ferries but an obvious need for more lorries.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I’m still a bit confused why VAT should cause a delay at the ports. I’ve never paid any VAT collected in my business to HMRC on the day I collected it, usually the following quarter less any VAT I had paid out. Sure there is some extra paperwork I can see that, but surely that’s to be done before shipping. The only delay at port would be if the paperwork hadn’t been done?

Deleted User
No simple maths. If due to delays a lorry can only do 2 journeys in the time taken to do 3 journeys previously, to do the same number of journeys you need more lorries. The number of journeys across the water remains the same, hence no need for more ferries but an obvious need for more lorries.

So if there are delays to traffic caused by road works for example we will make the delays less by putting more vehicles in the queue?

Obviously to move the same amount of goods more lorries would be needed but the delays at the bottleneck would simply get longer and longer unless something relieves the bottleneck, in this case more customs clearance facilities.

Ports like Dover do not have the space for lorries to wait for clearance and probably no space for extra customs clearance facilities hence the need for ferries and capacity on different routes to spread the load to other ports.

Most of the alternative routes are longer hence the need for more ferries even if some are re routed from Dover.

Deleted User
I’m still a bit confused why VAT should cause a delay at the ports. I’ve never paid any VAT collected in my business to HMRC on the day I collected it, usually the following quarter less any VAT I had paid out. Sure there is some extra paperwork I can see that, but surely that’s to be done before shipping. The only delay at port would be if the paperwork hadn’t been done?

Don't think VAT is or will be a problem, that is an internal tax and the rate is set by each country, the problem will be customs tariffs of which there are none between EU member states.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588

To give yourself some idea of the VAT implications post brexit have a read of the steps the Treasury was trying to put in place in the event of deal https://www.accountancydaily.co/plans-frictionless-vat-and-customs-regime-post-brexit

In the event of no deal, you can multiply those by a factor of ten.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
So if there are delays to traffic caused by road works for example we will make the delays less by putting more vehicles in the queue?

Obviously to move the same amount of goods more lorries would be needed but the delays at the bottleneck would simply get longer and longer unless something relieves the bottleneck, in this case more customs clearance facilities.

Ports like Dover do not have the space for lorries to wait for clearance and probably no space for extra customs clearance facilities hence the need for ferries and capacity on different routes to spread the load to other ports.

Most of the alternative routes are longer hence the need for more ferries even if some are re routed from Dover.
Good that clears that up. Thanks.
If there are delays and a lorry takes longer to get there more lorries are needed to make the same number of journeys.
Similarly if the ferry route is longer it will need more ferries to make the same number of journeys.

Deleted User
Good that clears that up. Thanks.
If there are delays and a lorry takes longer to get there more lorries are needed to make the same number of journeys.
Similarly if the ferry route is longer it will need more ferries to make the same number of journeys.

Yes but the fundamental problem will only be resolved by removing the bottleneck, simply putting more lorries in the queue resolves nothing and in effect transforms the lorries into mobile warehouses which raises the point as to who will pay the bill for the extra transport costs.

I operate a lorry and if I can only do say 2 loads a week instead of 3 as per your example then either I charge my customer more or go out of business.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
To give yourself some idea of the VAT implications post brexit have a read of the steps the Treasury was trying to put in place in the event of deal https://www.accountancydaily.co/plans-frictionless-vat-and-customs-regime-post-brexit

In the event of no deal, you can multiply those by a factor of ten.
Thanks again. The article is dated Oct 2017, has no progress been made on this since. The article suggests to me they believe there are technological ways around “checking at ports” but in the event of a no deal businesses who only export to the EU would need to register with hmrc and then provide the necessary paperwork. Small parcels via Royal Mail and other parcel couriers seem to be the main concern presumably these come through bonded warehouses or depots and tariff charges are levied over the doorstep by the courier delivery van driver. Good news for Mercedes, more vans needed.
They have had a year to make progress on the methodology outlined in the article, wonder if they have.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Yes but the fundamental problem will only be resolved by removing the bottleneck, simply putting more lorries in the queue resolves nothing and in effect transforms the lorries into mobile warehouses which raises the point as to who will pay the bill for the extra transport costs.

I operate a lorry and if I can only do say 2 loads a week instead of 3 as per your example then either I charge my customer more or go out of business.
Fully appreciate your problem, that’s why I highlighted my concern at the need for more lorries in the first place.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Thanks again. The article is dated Oct 2017, has no progress been made on this since.
They have had a year to make progress on the methodology outlined in the article, wonder if they have.

Latest https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...l/vat-for-businesses-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

"Current EU rules would mean that EU member states will treat goods entering the EU from the UK in the same way as goods entering from other non-EU countries with associated import VAT and customs duties due when the goods arrive into the EU. Individual EU member states may have different rules for import VAT for non-EU countries and import VAT payments may be due at the border when importing goods. UK businesses should check the relevant import VAT rules in the EU Member State concerned."

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

Some places I have delivered to I thought that was the policy to use the trucks as a warehouse on wheels. Haha.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Vat is a tax on goods used in the EU, so if goods are exported outside the EU, you do not charge VAT. Once we're outside EU the problems start. For example car parts, a crankshaft for a BMW mini can cross the channel four times during manufacturer from France to the UK, UK to Germany, back to the UK and then back to Europe if an export. Imagine the VAT paperwork on that from the 30th March?
It'll probably be covered under existing Customs procedures, ie Inward and Outward Processing Relief which is an absolute bu**er to record and manage!:(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It will be interesting to see the effect of foreign trucks not running around doing domestic work in UK , esp Irish !!
They will still have the same rights as they have always had to come & go with less trouble than UK citizens.

What happens when all the lorries are backed up here and in Calais and Spain, France etc are waiting for their return to carry on their business. It’s not going to happen!
Firm u the road has 1500 trcucks with around 500 at any one time in transit between here & the UK. All run 2 drivers & are registered to the Portugese arm of the firm. Just with east european drivers:( The other 1000 run around in europe . Can't see they are going to be too worried.

promoted beyond his level of incompetence.
A "post turtle" you mean ?:LOL:

It would be ideal as it is only a throw away from Manston Airport which is trialling the HGV stack tomorrow.
It would be .Unfortunately they haven't the brains to work that one out though. & the trial is Monday ,unless they've moved it ?

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
From our bedroom window we can just about see the Sandwich by-pass. The lorry trial from Manston to Dover started at 7am and having checked 15 minutes ago it looked like the bypass is flowing well atm but rush hour hasn't really started yet.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Where are they finding all these lorries? Surely no business would want its vehicles off the road and not earning any money?

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
150 lorries ridiculous. This will not give a true reading of situation. Where are they turning round as all the roundabouts on this route are tight and they say they are not going into Dover harbour. complete congestion especially top of Jubilee Way or the roundabout at Whitfield. Surely this will cause more lorries to use the M20 today instead of A2 causing more chaos!

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk Riviera
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
ferry.jpg

Pete

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Just been on the news, it's scuppered.

Reactions: DBK
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The Irish Co Arklow, which I believe actually has ferries, has withdrawn their backing. Perhaps they have decided they might need them at home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back