jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I been reading up on here...on Facebook and watched a few YouTube videos.
Our Data allowance is good....and generally here in Spain we rarely lack a good signal, but....there are times that we haven't got a good enough or even none at all...
Internet for us is fairly essential...planning bike routes, places to stay etc...and entertainment...TV (Footie) posting on here and Facebook...
I'm considering, and therefore asking, What's the latest external Aerial and Router solutions that would help us stay in contact with the outside world..
Just to add.... I've got a spare hole in the MH roof...actually it was where the TV Aerial used to be...the pole is still there.... advantage Me..
I await a bombardment of replies..🤭😃😃🇪🇺

Last edited:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Up to a point...

They did replace my DOA RUTX50 with no quibbles, except that I had to ship the dead unit back to them at my expense. Given that I'd spent best part of £1,000 with them it was the principle rather than the cost of the return shipping that stuck with me.

They do know what they're talking about though and their presales team were very helpful.
Teltonika won't deal with you unless you have purchased from an official reseller, so I guess it's always good to do this if you can, just not worth the hassle later on down the line.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
does jumartoo know you are running amok with the refund?:laughing:
No....she doesn't even know there has been a refund...🤭

(Actually the Router and the Antenna are Birthday/Christmas presents for her, something else she didn't know)

Good job jumartoo doesn't read tech stuff on Fun..🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Poynting did quite a good youtube video explaining both types of antenna's that have been quoted on here and their uses which was quite informative, if i find it again i will link to it but its a good watch for people like me who knows very little.
There was one by a South African (?) telecoms vendor in Australia (?) who I think said the new round puck style antenna for urban use, the fin for rural/off coast…

Edit: this one I think…

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
There was one by a South African (?) telecoms vendor in Australia (?) who I think said the new round puck style antenna for urban use, the fin for rural/off coast…

Edit: this one I think…

Could have been as it was a while ago now when i was doing the same thing Martin is now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Could have been as it was a while ago now when i was doing the same thing Martin is now.
I've watched all of this guys YouTube videos...he is both informative and sort of funny...I believe he knows his stuff too...

Reactions: zac
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They did replace my DOA RUTX50 with no quibbles, except that I had to ship the dead unit back to them at my expense. Given that I'd spent best part of £1,000 with them it was the principle
If it's a faulty unit it is a down to them to cover the return shipping under sale of goods act.

Reactions: zac
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
An update...as my first RUTX14 went walk about before being delivered....and I got my money back....I reordered from another outlet....
It came yesterday, I fitted it and after just a little delay, it's up and running....
A brief field test in a dead spot for signal gave me faith that the expense and effort was well worth it....
So our next trip..(.soon) should be a better test....I hope to use my telephone SIM in the router as we leave home....this will run the in car entertainment.... navigation, TV streaming etc...I have a big Vodafone bundle but will be going down the Digi mobile route which looks better....thanks to gus-lopez for this heads up....15€ unlimited is worth a punt...
A few minor adjustments to the settings, sounds like I know what I'm talking about...🤔 Changing router name and enabling other thingies ....
It's been fun learning from well informed Funsters as to finding a good system, that suits our type of adventure travelling..Thanks guys...

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
We'll recognise your van in the distance now 😃
1000014526.jpg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Regarding wI-fi broadcast range using the Poynting MIMO antenna - MIMO-3-17 ‘Sharkfin’ with Teltonika RUTX12 in my case - daughter was connected to the 2G at over 150m LOS this weekend, and I can even use it at home from the other side of the house at around 50m away through some seriously thick walls. The 5G is less but still available 20-30m away.

Now we have a decent working fibre service at home I’ve linked the router to that with failover to the SIMs, but when out and about don’t bother as campsite etc. wi-fi, where available, is invariably slower than the mobile service.

The small plastic surface mounting kit for the Teltonika routers is a good option for securing it to a cupboard wall in the Moho:

IMG_1961.jpeg

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
On the tangential subject of Bluetooth and the Teltonika routers, has anyone used or considered using their BLE ID Beacon to monitor things such as bikes, trailers, etc while travelling. Looks an interesting and relatively low cost option. fishplug maybe?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
On the tangential subject of Bluetooth and the Teltonika routers, has anyone used or considered using their BLE ID Beacon to monitor things such as bikes, trailers, etc while travelling. Looks an interesting and relatively low cost option. fishplug maybe?

Both our bikes have built in trackers. Alarms and because they are eMTBs immobilisers...
For our personal protection we can use our phones to track each other when we ride independently

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Building a PVC

Very much my sort of thing!

But I haven't tried them (yet!)

On my 'watch list' but I've got lots of other expensive items to fund first....

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Very much my sort of thing!

But I haven't tried them (yet!)

On my 'watch list' but I've got lots of other expensive items to fund first....

I’ve just splurged out the £24 to try one out on the trailer. I’ll see how it integrates with the router and the app before getting another for the quad bike.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back