Victron Venus OS and a Rasberry (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have connected all the negatives for my hab circuits and the negatives for my chargers (solar, EHU and B2B) to the load side of my shunt and the only cable from the battery side of my shunt goes to the battery negative so the shunt can accurately calculate the SOC by knowing all the charge and discharge that passes through it.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The way I think of it is, imagine the shunt is an extension of the battery terminal. Everything goes to the load side of the shunt, including any chassis connections. A lithium battery has a shunt built into it, as part of its BMS. You don't get the chance to make a mistake and connect on the wrong side of it.

The single exception to this is if you are connecting two or more batteries together in parallel, to make one big battery bank. Then the negative link wires go directly between the battery terminals, ie they stay on the battery side of the shunt. Everything else, including the chassis connection, goes to the load side.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Load side of the terminal is also called battery side as that's where you connect the battery.
I think he got it right, the reason the XS trows those notifications needs looking into settings. You have to somehow test that the XS IS charging, and why no history?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Load side of the terminal is also called battery side as that's where you connect the battery.
I think he got it right, the reason the XS trows those notifications needs looking into settings. You have to somehow test that the XS IS charging, and why no history?
I just realised my mistake, phew;
Load side IS the opposite of the battery side, sorry for the confusion , it must be the heat.
I must ho a grab a cold beer from the fridge it may help.

So, if your XS output is on the battery side connected is wrong. It has to be on the opposite end. Maybe that has to do with the missing history.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I just realised my mistake, phew;
Load side IS the opposite of the battery side, sorry for the confusion , it must be the heat.
I must ho a grab a cold beer from the fridge it may help.

So, if your XS output is on the battery side connected is wrong. It has to be on the opposite end. Maybe that has to do with the missing history.
Thanks Raul and everybody else. My mistake, I have just checked, one cable from the negative side of the battery goes to one side of the shunt, then all others go to the other side of the shunt and chassis. So the shunt is correctly connected, I blame old age and driving round the incredible Norwegian scenery for the last 50 days and forgetting everything I had done.
So the shunt is connected properly,
Just looking at the Connect app I found the Clock icon on the top right which was reset all history. However I still have a flashing triangle on the Details page of the PiGX next to the time.
So I will find out when I move on later. Thanks for all the help.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The flashing triangle is a notification alert. It tells you to check what that notification is. I had notifications when more than one controller was connected to GX, but the notification said they are not compatible. All it was the settings did not match on the controllers. So I copied the setting for both and that notification did not return. When you read the notification it will disappear, but, if you not cure the cause, you will have them coming each time those conditions are met to trigger it.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Generic 7" touchscreen purchased (from Wissel a while back, great to deal with btw.) , 3d case design downloaded and modified. Printed on sons machine at home (13 hours total time), trimmed and painted. Board cut for an "interference fit" down the back of the couch and secured with velcro so no screw holes and job done.
I will fit a swivel mount so I can point it towards me when I need to fiddle with it.
Overall quite happy with it and easier than viewing on my phone / TV.

20240904_121629.jpg

20240904_130822.jpg

20240904_130830.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back