Van security after theft (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Hi

We have a Knaus box life ( it’s a panel van shape) sadly this was stolen last night )

We have a tracker and I’ve recovered the vehicle this morning but they have destroyed the ignition ( barrelled it). They have also damaged some of the trim in the cab presumably checking for a tracker

We live in London and worried this may happen again

Questions.
1. What are people using for van security I’m now considering deadlock fitting and a retrofit alarm and steering wheel lock and wheel clamp
2. Any suggestions of where /how to get the trim replaced
3. The guy from the tracking company suggested fitting a kill switch to the fuel pump and suggested this could be done for just a few quid

Any comments on the above and suggestions gratefully received. We love our van but also can’t splurge on every single security device going so would be grateful to the forum for advice

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Hi

We have a Knaus box life ( it’s a panel van shape) sadly this was stolen last night )

We have a tracker and I’ve recovered the vehicle this morning but they have destroyed the ignition ( barrelled it). They have also damaged some of the trim in the cab presumably checking for a tracker

We live in London and worried this may happen again

Questions.
1. What are people using for van security I’m now considering deadlock fitting and a retrofit alarm and steering wheel lock and wheel clamp
2. Any suggestions of where /how to get the trim replaced
3. The guy from the tracking company suggested fitting a kill switch to the fuel pump and suggested this could be done for just a few quid

Any comments on the above and suggestions gratefully received. We love our van but also can’t splurge on every single security device going so would be grateful to the forum for advice

A kill switch might stop them driving off but they might have damaged the ignition and trim before discovering it would not start. Something visible or noisy might deter them but sadly nothing is guaranteed.

Not a nice experience for you.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If your driver's seat swivels, then turn it with back to steering wheel then pad lock the swivel plate with a strong motorcycle type padlock. This may involve drilling the swivel plate to accept the lock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Stoplock or disklock
Pedal lock
OBD LOCK
External deadlocks.
When in van and not using deadlocks 12mm stainless steel shoot bolts through B pillar into doorframe.
Van always deadlocked so even if windows broken only way in is climbing through them.
Rear doors shoot bolts top and bottom inside.
Side door inside top anti-peel bolt .
External stainless steel plate preventing cutting door panel to access central locking.
Both side and rear doors also have external milenco locks.
Side door has internal safety chain when in van
12v high voltage switch to disconnect power to dash and starter.
Tracker
& another
Being a Transit the only door with a lock is the drivers. To prevent the attack on the lock by rotating with water pump pliers a steel circular plate attached to key hoke and behind it.

Upvote 1

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Stoplock or disklock
Pedal lock
OBD LOCK
External deadlocks.
When in van and not using deadlocks 12mm stainless steel shoot bolts through B pillar into doorframe.
Van always deadlocked so even if windows broken only way in is climbing through them.
Rear doors shoot bolts top and bottom inside.
Side door inside top anti-peel bolt .
Both side and rear doors also have external milenco locks.
Side door has internal safety chain when in van
12v high voltage switch to disconnect power to dash and starter.
Tracker
& another
I hope you don't have to drive off in a hurry 🤣

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We also live in London.

As others have said, although it's a 300mile round trip, get yourself booked into Van Bitz in Taunton ASAP.
We looked at security options, and then drove to VanBitz literally from the dealers forecourt.

The good news is VanBits is right next to a very nice campsite, so you can easily do a couple of nights there, so you are ready for them to start at 08.000h and probably finish the same day

You need to get them to fit
an alarm (Choice of two)
An immobiliser
and either get them them to fit a tracker, or keep the one you have.

(The advantage of getting Van Bitz to fit all three is it's then one subscription, one app on your phone, not two or three.)

VanBitz are (THE) experts in M/H security, so it's worth a call to see what other measures they would recommend

Personally I'm not on favour of bulky security items, as they are too much faff to fit every time you nip down to the shops.
(Fine for long term storage though)
So I'm against wheel clamps, clutch claws, and steering wheel discs.

But I'm in favour of 'baseball bat' steering bar locks, drivers seats that are locked (with motorbike brake disk locks) facing backwards, and easy to do fuel pump switches (make sure the switch used has a red lamp when off and is marked 'sewage pump' or something!)

VanBitz can also fit security loops, which is a simple plug in device where you can run a cable through bikes, deck chairs, and any other kit than either rides on the racks at the back, or is left outside in a campsite, which is the loop is broken/disconnected then the alarm goes off.

Note: Van Bitz alarms have used the mosh pit at a Spinal Tap gig as the baseline for volume.
Turn it up to 11!

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Bear lock. I don't know if they do them for Sevel vans but you can get them installed in a VW. Locks the gear lever.
Have you got one fitted? have considered it for mine. Mine is definitely not in the £50k+ van bracket now, but I have spent a reasonable sum making it suit my purposes, and am about to spend some more. Which all makes replacing it should it be stolen or trashed a difficult thing, and not one which could be done anywhere near like for like, not matter how carefully I've insured it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Any other suggestions for alarms gratefully received Vanbitz might be difficult for us as its a bit of a distance and we are actually supposed to be leaving for France in a week or so - prior to last night I was happy enough with a tracker now I'm re-evaluating esp as we are planning to sleep in it and the children are starting to feel it may not be as safe as before the theft

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Have you got one fitted? have considered it for mine. Mine is definitely not in the £50k+ van bracket now, but I have spent a reasonable sum making it suit my purposes, and am about to spend some more. Which all makes replacing it should it be stolen or trashed a difficult thing, and not one which could be done anywhere near like for like, not matter how carefully I've insured it.
I haven't, but I have considered it. The installers get very good reviews on the T6 forum.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Like you I too live in London.

Amongst the many layers of security for my van I recently bought one of these for when it’s laid up in our driveway and we are away.

Pros
Cheap, cost effective
Very difficult to remove.
Very conspicuous.
Very heavy duty, a big lump.

Cons
A big lump
Can be awkward to fit

Mine is identical and cost me £30 plus padlock

IMG_6691.png

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I am London based so vanbitz might be tricky for me

thanks all any further suggestions /for devices or auto locksmiths appreciated
Can’t emphasis enough Vanbits is THE alarm to get I’m based in Essex and would have a vanbitz alarm every time. It’s robust well thought through and your get great support. If you visit they have thier own MoHo camping site so no worries where you stay overnight even the shower block has underfloor heating! They are worth visiting, when I replaced the keys for yhe MoHo including locks etc Vanbits provided me with a new fob and how to sync hit with the alarm system to replace the existing fobs.

Also my neighbours parked thier cars close to the front and rear of the MoHo in case the burglars came back, the following day I got the van to a Fiat professional for safe haven until locks etc where changed.

Also have a Nemisis full stop

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Any other suggestions for alarms gratefully received Vanbitz might be difficult for us as its a bit of a distance and we are actually supposed to be leaving for France in a week or so - prior to last night I was happy enough with a tracker now I'm re-evaluating esp as we are planning to sleep in it and the children are starting to feel it may not be as safe as before the theft

That's the beauty of the Vanbits growler alarm you can turn off the internal sensors so the alarm doesn't go off when your sleeping in the van but soon as someone opens a door it will go off. Well worth the trip to get it fitted and you get 10% discount as a forum member !

Personally on my van I have -:
Tracker with a yearly subscription
A hidden Apple Airtag
Vanbits Growler
Steering Disklock
ATE Pedel Lock
Deadlocks on all doors
OBD Lock

If the thieving scum want it I'm not making it easy for them

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2023
North London
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP Aut
Exp
Since 2008
I live in London and parked on the road too as the bl£&@do have tried to gain entry to my fiat on a few occasions. They have tried to open my cab doors with various devices ( going to get Proplates installed to cover the indentations) but due to the internal Herocab locks they open open about 2 mils before the cat 1 alarm starts blaring . I have Thule external locks on all other doors and a steering lock. My alarm has a sensor that will just alarm external doors for evening time when you sleep.

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g

Also Disklock & Autowatch 695 highly recommended. That Kill Switch looks like a great idea even though the Smartrack has the Card Start/Kill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Like you I too live in London.

Amongst the many layers of security for my van I recently bought one of these for when it’s laid up in our driveway and we are away.

Pros
Cheap, cost effective
Very difficult to remove.
Very conspicuous.
Very heavy duty, a big lump.

Cons
A big lump
Can be awkward to fit

Mine is identical and cost me £30 plus padlock

View attachment 923577

I have said it on here before, a friend of mine had a disclock on the steering wheel and a wheel clamp on the front, the scrotes simply winched it up with a tow truck, popped the front drivers window took the handbrake of and drove away, never to be seen again. Also a work colleague had the bar type steering lock fitted but the thieves simply sawed through the steering wheel either side of the lock and stole the van, it was recovered but with extensive damage.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have said it on here before, a friend of mine had a disclock on the steering wheel and a wheel clamp on the front, the scrotes simply winched it up with a tow truck, popped the front drivers window took the handbrake of and drove away, never to be seen again. Also a work colleague had the bar type steering lock fitted but the thieves simply sawed through the steering wheel either side of the lock and stole the van, it was recovered but with extensive damage.
Anything can be stollen you just make someone else’s more attractive by adding physical and electronic security.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I guarantee that's simply down to luck and the law of averages.

Only when there have been a few attempts and fails can you put it down to the security.

I've never had a vehicle stolen either.
Truly pleased for you as it is not a pleasant experience, plus it’s costly if the insurance company can’t recover thier costs your insurance goes through the roof as whilst it isn’t your fault the insurance co will mark your file as a fault claim. My insurance from AIB went from around £350 to over £3,000 so it’s worth putting on as much security as possible.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back