Van security after theft (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Hi

We have a Knaus box life ( it’s a panel van shape) sadly this was stolen last night )

We have a tracker and I’ve recovered the vehicle this morning but they have destroyed the ignition ( barrelled it). They have also damaged some of the trim in the cab presumably checking for a tracker

We live in London and worried this may happen again

Questions.
1. What are people using for van security I’m now considering deadlock fitting and a retrofit alarm and steering wheel lock and wheel clamp
2. Any suggestions of where /how to get the trim replaced
3. The guy from the tracking company suggested fitting a kill switch to the fuel pump and suggested this could be done for just a few quid

Any comments on the above and suggestions gratefully received. We love our van but also can’t splurge on every single security device going so would be grateful to the forum for advice

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Goodness Eddie, you really did get out of the wrong side of the bed didn’t you, but not early enough to have read the whole thread. However, you will have seen that I echoed the recommendation for Vanbitz (which you edited out when quoting me). A recommendation I have made on many occasions. If you had read the thread you would have seen that, despite several Vanbitz recommendations from others, the OP said that he didn’t really have the time (or inclination?) to make a trip to Somerset and was looking for possible alternatives. The ‘advantage’ I mentioned was that by using another MH security company he could potentially have the work carried out conveniently nearby, which may better suit his circumstances. Yes, having work done in a fully equipped workshop has its advantages but your wholesale dismissal of mobile services is not warranted. In my experience mobile operators can do an very good job. Perhaps it was my mentioning a competitor company that got you so flustered? Oh well….
Rare post by me re Vanbitz.
The service was excellent, Ash is full of knowledge.

Regarding mobile engineers etc. Long story short, I have E&P, semi air suspension, new radio abd reversing camera installed by SAP in Doncaster, they all failed, the reversing camera they outsourced to a 3rd party, a mobile fitter, when that went wrong SAP suggested I asked the fitter to come from Doncaster to my home, really.
I can't even think Ash would say that

I have had work done by a mobile on my old Rapido, a second leisure battery, connected to the other battery by a crocodile clip .

Yes Vanbitz is not the cheapest, but from my experience they do a proper job. I thought I had one over Eddie when I found an orphan screw on the floor of my van, gloating I pointed it out to him , he smiled and said,'you have had a replacement clutch!" I said yes, he then pointed out the orphan screw cam from the inspection cover in my a class . Blast....

Yes it's along way to darkest Somerset, but it's down to trust, I trust Ash and his team to work on my van, I know they will not cut corners, they will do a proper job. I've had work done on three vans, I would not go anywhere else, even though Eddie is a 'Nigel'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 10, 2023
Torquay, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Hi

We have a Knaus box life ( it’s a panel van shape) sadly this was stolen last night )

We have a tracker and I’ve recovered the vehicle this morning but they have destroyed the ignition ( barrelled it). They have also damaged some of the trim in the cab presumably checking for a tracker

Questions.
1. What are people using for van security I’m now considering deadlock fitting and a retrofit alarm and steering wheel lock and wheel clamp
3. The guy from the tracking company suggested fitting a kill switch to the fuel pump and suggested this could be done for just a few quid

Any comments on the above and suggestions gratefully received. We love our van but also can’t splurge on every single security device going so would be grateful to the forum for advice
Hi

I have a Carthage which I has a deadlock on the Hab door fitted by them, however recently I fitted deadlocks to the front driver and passenger doors as well, this was done through Locks4Vans, excellent service drive my van from Devon to Bristol to have it done. Feel more secure on the road with them fitted as well
Hi

Questions.

hi

I have a Carthage, the Hab door was fitted with a deadlock from the manufacturer, I have now had the front doors fitted with deadlocks through Locks4Vans, I live in Devon so drive to Bristol to have them fitted. Excellent service booked in and all sorted in an hour. Feel much more secure on the road now after listening to all the attempts at breakin’s !

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Etape 650
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi

Questions.

We have a Disclok gold steering wheel lock . It is excellent - comes in small, medium and large.(Just measure the steering wheel) Before that we used a Milenco steering wheel lock bar - again excellent. It is now on our car.
Just invested in a Milenco pedal box which covers brake and clutch pedal on our Peugeot Boxer base.
We did look at a Milenco wheel lock but that needs the wheel cover taking off every time you use it to put the Milenco bar on a wheel nut.
Ironically,the latest edition of Practical Motorhome has an article on motorhome security.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
David

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
Since 2019
Hi

Questions.

• Tiwee window alarms
  • WOMO window metal security clamps
  • Thatcham Alarm
  • Milenco steering wheel bar
  • Extra Ed-Lock dead locks on all doors
  • Metal chains to secure all doors once inside

Also have a panel van conversion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
Deadlocks
Pro plates
Hab door lock
Tracker
Growler with immobiliser
Steering bar
Pedal lock
Captains seat disc lock
Safe
Cctv in and out.
Lock out window locks

Maybe over the top but it gives me peace of mind. Great to be able to check on the cctv when we are away from the van especially. Each item may not be infallible but it slows them down.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
For those without rotating seats just slide seat towards steering wheel, on door side drill through both sliding tracks and fit a decent padlock .
On the inside tracks drill through at least twice and fit locks with key side underneath the seat.
Best of all is similar to a Verisurehome alarm system whereby you can detonate a canister of tear gas inside the van by remote control mobile phone signal, same as a bomb is detonated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Thanks all for the feedback and advice -- lots to think about and definitely can't afford to do all in one top but will add layers - trying to work out how to get to Vanbitz as they have been fantastic about trying to accommodate me - I agree with the sentiments of all above you end up finding people you know and trust its always worth a little extra

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
A hidden kill switch is damned hard to work around. Took my matena week to find it in an old classic mini he was renovating. Turned out to be an ordinary switch on dash that was labelled for rear window demist or similar.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2022
South Benfleet, Benfleet, Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Cathargo C Tourer141
Exp
Since 1992 - managed to break most things!
Hi

Questions.

Glad you got it back - Get a 'Ghost' imobiliser.
My brother had one fitted to his Mercedes G Wagon. Very 'gangster' I'm told! (and he's a 76 year old farmer !) ...but I thought what a great thing for a motorhome, so got one fitted very soon after hearing all the horror stories on here.
You have to do a set of actions on certain dash controls to start to vehicle ( nothing to be seen in vehicle at all) This is programmed in and is as simple or complex as you want - you can even change it yourself to something you find easy should you wish.
They have a great back up service plus an emergency procedure card you carry should you forget your sequence.
As far as I'm concerned it seems to be about as good as you can get and so simple
(I could give you my 'Ghost sequence' as a working example but then I would have to kill you all!!)
All joking aside like a lot of people we have spent an awful lot on extras and I know in the event of losing the van we would never recover the cost, so it really is very worrying that even the most modern vans today are still being stolen.
We have 'Phantom' tracker on a lifetime deal and a upmarket rising post at home with a 'sold secure' barrel lock so nothing to chop off!
At night when we are away all we have is Brian our Scottie dog (useless) - another upgrade needed!
'Ghost' is £450 fitted. (It even has a valet/service mode that will give someone limited use which is very useful too)
Hope you get everything back together soon
All the best to you

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2022
South Benfleet, Benfleet, Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Cathargo C Tourer141
Exp
Since 1992 - managed to break most things!
But you just said they stole your daughters despite it having one fitted.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion it's best to remove things from the vehicle to prevent theft than to add things. The thieves are often tooled up to remove gadgets ... but I've yet to see them come carrying spare parts for a vehicle. If they can't start it they can't drive it. But any electronic alarm ,immobiliser etc can all be bypassed by the right theif.

That's why a lot of folk remove wheels or the seat from their push bike
Can look like that how its worded.. think she got the ghost after have car stolen

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail arapaho SE
Hi

Questions.

Hi sorry to hear about your theft on my motorhome i have a global Telemetric tracker if i forget to switch the card on i only get to the end of my road and they are on the phone, if i said i was noy driving it they would go on and shut he engine down and the van would be at the end of my road, I think it was about £350 and a life time subscription of £298 that is for the life of my van or they will fit it to my new van for free, Hope his helps

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
Bognor Regis, UK
Funster No
MH
Bürstner 690 Nexxo
Exp
Since 2017
We have the full Vanbitz Raptor setup but I also have a steering wheel lock and when we go away without the van I put on a wheel lock as well. Last week I fitted a Oxford motorcycle lock to fix the driver seat in the reverse position. I think visual stuff is almost as important as the unseen, alarms, ODB isolator, tracker etc. etc. It's not impossible to drive the van with the seat turned through 180 degrees but it's another thing that might put them off.View attachment 923637
Hello, I have fitted one of these as well, however, I attached it from underneath to avoid the body and key slot being damaged by the stealer and if it is not removed you may have trouble yourself in removing it. Whereas if it’s the other way round I believe it is still not easy to remove as there is much less to attack and it would also rotate making it doubly awkward. Having said that it is much more awkward fitting it from underneath, but you do get used to it!

As you can see, I use a square washer to adjust the spacing which I also believe would make removal much harder.
PXL_20240717_164027303.jpg
PXL_20240717_164058625.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2019
North East, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
I’ve posted before but the VanBitz immobiliser stopped my son’s MH being stolen, this is the mess they left but it was quickly sorted with the fantastic back up service.
Personally I’m less convinced about the alarm as I set it off once in a very busy seaside car park when I dashed back for a wee. Didn’t know how to disable it, so personal comfort came first 😉 and no one came to see why the alarm was going full pelt and the hab door was open.
View attachment 924096
What do they thieves do with the MH when they cause all this damage?
Are they sold abroad or stripped down?

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
Have a moving intelligence senitel, tbh not too impressed the power to the unit was cut after poor installation by dealer from new and we drove from Paignton to Dawlish, stayed 3 nights and the tracker still said we were in Paignton. I rewired and soldered cabling when home, repositioned alarm module but in a fiat its less than 5 minutes to rip off dash to find where generic places for system. Have installed a siren behind fuse panel via a hidden switch off a switched live fuse so hopefully will be quite loud in cab !!!

Upvote 0
Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
Where do you store your van when not in use - on the road? on the drive, behind the building line? easy line of vision for the thief etc. I'd work out who and how the thief worked out how easy it was easy.

If you can, a steering wheel and a clamp are musts and in vision - will deter or to move go another place. Gates, noisy gravel, lights might help. Secure off site - CaSSOA for example.

Give up motorhoming, living in London. Some areas, not just London, are high risks. Seriously, visible secure is a good starting again.

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Hi

Again thanks for all the suggestions

Deadlocks and plates are working out to approx £300 a door plus VAT 4 doors £1200 plus VAT (not sure if I can stretch to this now) :)
Killswitch have a quote for £60 + VAT (doing this)

Steering wheel possibly should have gone disk lock but have got the Stoplock Pro Elite - like the fact that it is so quick to put on and has fair reviews online - I think the idea of a removable steering wheel is genius

Wheel clamp -- Have bought a bulldog auto clamp - to be honest seems a bit fiddly and expensive

Swivel base lock -- Found this video and will likely do on our return don't think I will have time with work to sort this before leaving

Pedals will likely buy ATE Fabrications.

Alarm - agree the Vanbitz option is a very good one and fantastic service over the phone but with time constraints I think will be impossible (not their fault). Although they have contacted me with another date so will update if I manage this.

I must say very happy with the tracker we have Global telemetric

Further questions that I need answering

Any further suggestions for alarms/immobilsers other than vanbitz simply because getting down there on. day they can fit me in at short notice and actually getting the other bits of damage on the van fixed that the thieves did may be a challenge

Any advice as to an easy way to find the trim sections for inside the van front doors on the floor in the cab much appreciated and the cover for the leisure battery under the front seat photo attached (you can see the ignition in this series as well)

View attachment 923964

View attachment 923965

View attachment 923966

View attachment 923967

View attachment 923968

View attachment 923969

Shouldn't the Insurance company be sorting the trim and returning it to previous condition?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Shouldn't the Insurance company be sorting the trim and returning it to previous condition?
This occurred to me too today as I was googling for trim etc - the issue is we are going on holiday in a week on Friday and they have been quite clear they can't sort it in that timeframe

Further update

• kills switch tomorrow
  • steering lock sorted
  • wheel lock on order
  • alarm will be in the end fitted by a guy we have used before in Lincoln who is also excellent having used him on previous vans will update when its done

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have vanbitz alarm, plus a disklok and when parked at home we lift the van on E&P and take the controller indoors.
We had similar. Bit of a nuisance when we sold as even though we had written down full instructions and security codes the buyer didn't read them and phoned several times for the instructions.

We travelled from Scotland to VanBitz for our security to be fitted. If we ever get another van it will be a trip to VanBitz again.

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Fun Camper 5
One of the common methods of entry by thieves is to puncture the door skin just under the driver's cab door handle with a thin screwdriver, which both opens the door and normally switches off the alarm.
Fitting a Pro Plate will protect you from this method of entry. Pro Plate can be fitted to your sliding and rear doors as well.

https://vanlockstore.co.uk/our-products/proplate-40.html

Deadlocks are also an easy and cheap protection.
Summer '22 I found such puncture holes below the driver's door and the rear door on our PVC, so evidently this technique not successful on that occasion. Whether it was the method used when it was stolen last month I don't know as it's not been recovered (as far as we know...).

One suggestion to make drive-away thefts more difficult is to spin the driver's seat and lock it.

Good luck getting insurance in London following a theft. Our underwriter declined a new policy for the new van...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Summer '22 I found such puncture holes below the driver's door and the rear door on our PVC, so evidently this technique not successful on that occasion. Whether it was the method used when it was stolen last month I don't know as it's not been recovered (as far as we know...).

One suggestion to make drive-away thefts more difficult is to spin the driver's seat and lock it.

Good luck getting insurance in London following a theft. Our underwriter declined a new policy for the new van...
Sorry to hear about your van

Upvote 0

BM55

Free Member
Jun 24, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Caravan Guard insist upon a steering lock like this one (one of three they permit):

It could be that on renewal your insurer imposes a similar requirement but more relevantly it is an extra layer of security you can fit by tomorrow to stop a 2nd theft.

Hope that helps!

As a matter of interest where was your vehicles stolen from? On the road outside your home? On your drive? At a supposedly secure lock up facility?

Chris
Just reinsured with CG and they don’t insist on a steering lock but do give a discount for one. They did insist on a Thatcham 1 alarm as a minimum

Brendan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Final update before the trip

We have a

wheel clamp milenco 3 motorhome lock easy to fit seems ok not cheap but solid
Steering wheel lock we didn't get a disklok because we wanted something quickly but would buy that
OBD lock

alarm - I know everyone is keen on vanbitz - just want to put a recommendation here for Automate https://www.automateuk.com/

Automate were fantastic I have used Rob on previous vans and in desperation gave him a ring - as usual the team did an amazing job (squeezed me in on their day off) and even spoke to the tracker company to make the whole system integrated - a superb outfit I can't recommend highly enough - I drove from London to theirs and I am delighted with the outcome as now I have an alarm immobiliser and tracker that all work seamlessly together

Questions

Does everyone put all these keys on the one keyring ? Interested to see how people manage

I am a surfer and want to go in the sea and leave the van locked up anyone else have this issue - I obviously can't put this all in a key safe under the vehicle in the new portable angle grinder world - haven't thought this one through yet

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
Hi sorry to hear about your theft on my motorhome i have a global Telemetric tracker if i forget to switch the card on i only get to the end of my road and they are on the phone, if i said i was noy driving it they would go on and shut he engine down and the van would be at the end of my road, I think it was about £350 and a life time subscription of £298 that is for the life of my van or they will fit it to my new van for free, Hope his helps
I have the same (Smartrack with Global Telemetric) how do you get to the end of your road cos mine won't Start unless I switch my Card On ??

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail arapaho SE
I have the same (Smartrack with Global Telemetric) how do you get to the end of your road cos mine won't Start unless I switch my Card On ??
Mine will start but they are on the phone within minutes if I don't switch it on and if I said I wasn't in it they would shut the engine down
Hi I must say that ZF are probably the best gearbox money can buy. The following manufacturers use them. Audi R/S models. BMW will only use ZF. Range Rover, Aston Martin, Bentley, Morgan to name just a few. I’ve had three vehicles with a ZF box and find them a fantastic piece of kit.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back