Van security after theft (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Hi

We have a Knaus box life ( it’s a panel van shape) sadly this was stolen last night )

We have a tracker and I’ve recovered the vehicle this morning but they have destroyed the ignition ( barrelled it). They have also damaged some of the trim in the cab presumably checking for a tracker

We live in London and worried this may happen again

Questions.
1. What are people using for van security I’m now considering deadlock fitting and a retrofit alarm and steering wheel lock and wheel clamp
2. Any suggestions of where /how to get the trim replaced
3. The guy from the tracking company suggested fitting a kill switch to the fuel pump and suggested this could be done for just a few quid

Any comments on the above and suggestions gratefully received. We love our van but also can’t splurge on every single security device going so would be grateful to the forum for advice

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
We have the full Vanbitz Raptor setup but I also have a steering wheel lock and when we go away without the van I put on a wheel lock as well. Last week I fitted a Oxford motorcycle lock to fix the driver seat in the reverse position. I think visual stuff is almost as important as the unseen, alarms, ODB isolator, tracker etc. etc. It's not impossible to drive the van with the seat turned through 180 degrees but it's another thing that might put them off.
450169246_7987343894662482_2041816476918719627_n.jpg

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Insurance companies sometime insist on a tracker and sometimes give a discount for having one. They don’t seem to give a toot about any other devices. No harm in making your van look more difficult to nick but if the scrotes want it they will find a way to nick it.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Insurance companies sometime insist on a tracker and sometimes give a discount for having one. They don’t seem to give a toot about any other devices. No harm in making your van look more difficult to nick but if the scrotes want it they will find a way to nick it.
I think they insist on the tracker as it means there is more chance of them getting the van back to you, regardless of any damage caused.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I think they insist on the tracker as it means there is more chance of them getting the van back to you, regardless of any damage caused.
Yeah after it’s been nicked and dumped 4 miles down the road either getting stripped, burnt out or or sat waiting to be picked up!!
Yet they won’t give a discount for the non starter that can stop it being started and moved to be stripped or set alight in the first place🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ BONKERS!!🤯🤯🤯

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I fitted external Thatcham deadlocks on my van, great because they are visible. Also Oxford Patriot motorcycle disc lock on the drivers seat base.

But the best thing by far is to get it in a garage, I raised the roof and lengthened the garage so it fit in 👌😊

View attachment 923646
Nice and a neat job, but one of these would cut that bolt easily, as there is a gap that will let the blade in...Don't ask how I know, but it should help deter the average thief

Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 10.13.00.png

Upvote 0
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
slimsurf1 does your tracker include an immobiliser operated remotely through an app? That's a really useful feature.

Did you mention whether you have an alarm fitted? I go along with the Vanbitz recommendation of others but, if time and distance are against you, take a look at what Moving Intelligence (Phantom) have to offer. We have one of their alarms and it suits us just fine with its ability to disarm the internal sensors at night but have all perimeter sensors activated while you sleep in the MH. It also works well if you have to leave a dog in there for a short while whilst still being alarmed. We have additional alarm sensors on all external locker doors too. The advantage from your current point of view is that Moving Intelligence have installers in many areas and some will come to you.

Clearly a combined alarm/tracker (like the MI Sentinal) from one company is advantageous because the alarm is 24 hour monitored as well as the tracker so you get notified as soon as the alarm is triggered but those systems are fairly costly and you already have a tracker that's been proven to work.

Upvote 0

AshVanBitz

Funster
Aug 7, 2018
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
Has anyone heard of meta alarms ?
Meta are an Italian company that manufacture our alarm system. They also manufacture the Metatrak products which include our Shadow VTS S5 tracking system and Non Starter paging/immobilisation system. They have been servicing us with our many variations of security systems since the late 90's.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Hi

Again thanks for all the suggestions

Deadlocks and plates are working out to approx £300 a door plus VAT 4 doors £1200 plus VAT (not sure if I can stretch to this now) :)
Killswitch have a quote for £60 + VAT (doing this)

Steering wheel possibly should have gone disk lock but have got the Stoplock Pro Elite - like the fact that it is so quick to put on and has fair reviews online - I think the idea of a removable steering wheel is genius

Wheel clamp -- Have bought a bulldog auto clamp - to be honest seems a bit fiddly and expensive

Swivel base lock -- Found this video and will likely do on our return don't think I will have time with work to sort this before leaving

Pedals will likely buy ATE Fabrications.

Alarm - agree the Vanbitz option is a very good one and fantastic service over the phone but with time constraints I think will be impossible (not their fault). Although they have contacted me with another date so will update if I manage this.

I must say very happy with the tracker we have Global telemetric

Further questions that I need answering

Any further suggestions for alarms/immobilsers other than vanbitz simply because getting down there on. day they can fit me in at short notice and actually getting the other bits of damage on the van fixed that the thieves did may be a challenge

Any advice as to an easy way to find the trim sections for inside the van front doors on the floor in the cab much appreciated and the cover for the leisure battery under the front seat photo attached (you can see the ignition in this series as well)

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3-1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
Meta are an Italian company that manufacture our alarm system. They also manufacture the Metatrak products which include our Shadow VTS S5 tracking system and Non Starter paging/immobilisation system. They have been servicing us with our many variations of security systems since the late 90's.
Ash thanks - I had found an advert for meta alarms elsewhere hadn't realised yours is a variant of theirs although I have no doubt from the fanbase on the forum that the install and support is superb from Vanbitz

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I think stop worrying about getting this sorted before you go on holiday.
The time to sort this is when you get back.

Just in case the scrotes are passing your house now and again and looking for a second opportunity, at which point they may be turning up with a tow truck.
(Hence, always fit the wheel clamp to the rear wheels, which maybe the front wheel if you parked in nose first)

Therefore; On your return, see if you can park the MoHo somewhere else for a bit, and then arrange a date for your VanBitz visit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Kanus Boxlife 630
also found this now that I am researching these things adding it in case this yhtrmd is any use to someone else in future

Clutch Claw in-car security device​

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
also found this now that I am researching these things adding it in case this yhtrmd is any use to someone else in future

Clutch Claw in-car security device​

I have a clutch claw which is easy to use, as well at a Patriot Disk lock for the front seat.

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Harmony line 690g
As said in an earlier Post #52 we're all wasting our money if they Jack it up & Tow it Off , just get a decent Tracker Fitted. 👍🤞🤞

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
As said in an earlier Post #52 we're all wasting our money if they Jack it up & Tow it Off , just get a decent Tracker Fitted. 👍🤞🤞

And what percentage of motorhomes are nicked by lift and tow then, bugger all, so utter waffle.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I can turn off ANY tracker on the market from outside the vehicle

Very few, if any motorhomes are nicked by being towed away, and the bigger they are the harder it becomes as anyone will know that has had to be recovered by the RAC, Green Flag or AA

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I can turn off ANY tracker on the market from outside the vehicle

Very few, if any motorhomes are nicked by being towed away, and the bigger they are the harder it becomes as anyone will know that has had to be recovered by the RAC, Green Flag or AA
Any tracker????🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The advantage from your current point of view is that Moving Intelligence have installers in many areas and some will come to you.
How is that an advantage’?

Unless you have a fully equipped workshop at your house, you end up with a bloke potentially working on your Motorhome in all weathers, wind rain, him getting wet! His tools getting wet, your motorhome getting wet, a fitter who has already had a potential long drive to get to you! and a long drive home as soon as he finishes it

Who inspects the finalised installation and signs his work off?

Van Bitz take the best part of a day, with two installers per motorhome to install a Raptor system, working in a nice modern workshop that can accommodate the largest motorhomes, and whilst the detailed installation notes are made ( for future customer support) another staff member inspects and tests the whole installation, all this prior to your demonstration and handover

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2019
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
2 years
Hi

We have a Knaus box life ( it’s a panel van shape) sadly this was stolen last night )

We have a tracker and I’ve recovered the vehicle this morning but they have destroyed the ignition ( barrelled it). They have also damaged some of the trim in the cab presumably checking for a tracker

We live in London and worried this may happen again

Questions.
1. What are people using for van security I’m now considering deadlock fitting and a retrofit alarm and steering wheel lock and wheel clamp
2. Any suggestions of where /how to get the trim replaced
3. The guy from the tracking company suggested fitting a kill switch to the fuel pump and suggested this could be done for just a few quid

Any comments on the above and suggestions gratefully received. We love our van but also can’t splurge on every single security device going so would be grateful to the forum for advice
Just had old alarm taken out and a Vanbitz growler fitted - great alarm as its independent from the Van key and outside flashing lights to deter theft - expensive but worth it - we got broken into in middle of night in France ( screwdriver punched through under drivers door lock to release central locking ) and alarm saved us as so loud they ran off - add pro plate over door lock to prevent the screwdriver driver trick !!

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
I’ve posted before but the VanBitz immobiliser stopped my son’s MH being stolen, this is the mess they left but it was quickly sorted with the fantastic back up service.
Personally I’m less convinced about the alarm as I set it off once in a very busy seaside car park when I dashed back for a wee. Didn’t know how to disable it, so personal comfort came first 😉 and no one came to see why the alarm was going full pelt and the hab door was open.
1721202852683.jpeg

Upvote 0
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
How is that an advantage’?

Unless you have a fully equipped workshop at your house, you end up with a bloke potentially working on your Motorhome in all weathers, wind rain, him getting wet! His tools getting wet, your motorhome getting wet, a fitter who has already had a potential long drive to get to you! and a long drive home as soon as he finishes it

Who inspects the finalised installation and signs his work off?

Van Bitz take the best part of a day, with two installers per motorhome to install a Raptor system, working in a nice modern workshop that can accommodate the largest motorhomes, and whilst the detailed installation notes are made ( for future customer support) another staff member inspects and tests the whole installation, all this prior to your demonstration and handover
Goodness Eddie, you really did get out of the wrong side of the bed didn’t you, but not early enough to have read the whole thread. However, you will have seen that I echoed the recommendation for Vanbitz (which you edited out when quoting me). A recommendation I have made on many occasions. If you had read the thread you would have seen that, despite several Vanbitz recommendations from others, the OP said that he didn’t really have the time (or inclination?) to make a trip to Somerset and was looking for possible alternatives. The ‘advantage’ I mentioned was that by using another MH security company he could potentially have the work carried out conveniently nearby, which may better suit his circumstances. Yes, having work done in a fully equipped workshop has its advantages but your wholesale dismissal of mobile services is not warranted. In my experience mobile operators can do an very good job. Perhaps it was my mentioning a competitor company that got you so flustered? Oh well….

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Goodness Eddie, you really did get out of the wrong side of the bed didn’t you, but not early enough to have read the whole thread. However, you will have seen that I echoed the recommendation for Vanbitz (which you edited out when quoting me). A recommendation I have made on many occasions. If you had read the thread you would have seen that, despite several Vanbitz recommendations from others, the OP said that he didn’t really have the time (or inclination?) to make a trip to Somerset and was looking for possible alternatives. The ‘advantage’ I mentioned was that by using another MH security company he could potentially have the work carried out conveniently nearby, which may better suit his circumstances. Yes, having work done in a fully equipped workshop has its advantages but your wholesale dismissal of mobile services is not warranted. In my experience mobile operators can do an very good job. Perhaps it was my mentioning a competitor company that got you so flustered? Oh well….
Not at all, I ran mobile installers before I realised that I would rather have my vasectomy in the hospital rather than in the car park as its "just as good"

And talking of competitors, of course Van Bitz are aware of them, as is often read about on MHF they unplug them and bin them on a regular basis, in seconds when they are plugged into the OBDP ;)

But I am retired now so don't speak for Van Bitz, just a bloke that has installed more motorhome alarm systems than anyone else in the Country, a bloke that incidentally started out as a mobile installer in 1990 so do understand what can be done on a nice warm Sunny Summers day and the challenges the same installation presents when its cold wet and raining!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back