Van Modification Success: Goodbye Blind Spot Mirrors (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Rob Turner
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Bit vulgar, but hey, how much did it cost please
Sorry David, my wife has just read this whole thread and has pointed out that I completely misunderstood your initial comment. I thought you meant the cameras were vulgar!!! As I’ve said in the thread, I reckon they will be coming in under the 4k mark which I personally think is value for money given the standard of the installation and components 👍

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
These do record to a storage card.
There isn’t an option for WiFi as yet but this is being looked at along with a hard drive for extended storage.

So, storage would just be local? Or on a server elsewhere belonging to someone else (the app owner)?

Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
I'll be interested in what your thoughts are after a year or so.......personally I don't get it ! I can't see the extent of the field of view on the screens in your photo but know when I want to see beyond the 'edge' in my mirrors I just reposition myself to see what i want to see .....
really is the whole point that you have a clearer view out of the side windows?
Am I missing the point?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Dont know how this works in the UK but I’m aware of one person that has done the same mod on his van in Germany and basically it means it needs approval by relevant authorities as the vehicle is approved only with standard mirrors. It’s a bit different on Concorde and Morelo as they offer them as an option and has had the vehicles approved accordingly.

Maybe in the UK it’s a non issue. Here I know it would not be allowed on the road unless approved

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've always wondered if these also record and are connected to wifi, so all the journeys are stored on a server, somewhere?
You can connect to the 360 Camos remotely via a WiFi dongle but it’s PC software to view it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Dont know how this works in the UK but I’m aware of one person that has done the same mod on his van in Germany and basically it means it needs approval by relevant authorities as the vehicle is approved only with standard mirrors. It’s a bit different on Concorde and Morelo as they offer them as an option and has had the vehicles approved accordingly.

Maybe in the UK it’s a non issue. Here I know it would be allowed on the road unless approved
Certain kits are approved for retrofit but I am surprised that there is not more control around who does the fitting.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
I'll be interested in what your thoughts are after a year or so.......personally I don't get it ! I can't see the extent of the field of view on the screens in your photo but know when I want to see beyond the 'edge' in my mirrors I just reposition myself to see what i want to see .....
Am I missing the point?
Carthago "bus view mirrors" have large blind spots on lhd & rhd models. I have to lift up and twist to see past them on roundabouts in the UK. I can see the attraction of getting rid of them..

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
These do record to a storage card.
There isn’t an option for WiFi as yet but this is being looked at along with a hard drive for extended storage.
SD cards die quite quickly in this sort of use. An SSD would be far better and much longer storage. They are so cheap now hardly worth using anSD card where space isn’t an issue.
Great that it has been done though. Would love to see a large image of the monitor view. The mere fact that a Trannie coming too close can’t wipe out a £1,500 to £2k mirror is good. I have been extremely worried for my mirrors on some of the narrow Norwegian roads especially with the speed the coaches go and my Hymer mirrors don’t flap back. If £4k is the price, it’s not much dearer than a replacement set of “A” Class mirrors.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Are mirrors included in a MOT?

Don't think so

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think this is the way forward but worry that a monitor failure means you can’t drive 🤔🙁

We have 360 cameras and the display failed after 2 years, we still had mirrors so not a big issue
You can always find a way to bodge a mirror..and after 60 plus years of driving doubt I will change.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Are mirrors included in a MOT?

Don't think so
They must be as you have to be able to see behind either by wing mirror or rear view mirror.

Edit: Part 3.3 view to the rear.

OP
OP
Rob Turner
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
I have already spoken with my insurance and I have checked the construction and use regulations as part of my research and all is fine.
Rob Turner did you tell your insurance company and were they happy with the modification?

Not in the CoC for the vehicle so are they MOT compliant?

They must be as you have to be able to see behind either by wing mirror or rear view mirror.

Edit: Part 3.3 view to the rear.

This regulation formed part of my initial research.

OP
OP
Rob Turner
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Am I missing the point?
The main reason I looked into this in the first place was to combat the massive blind spot which I really struggle to understand how it gets past strict TuV regulation.

The field of view is massive and can be panned in or out and left/right by the press of a button but I haven’t needed to on the long drive home using A and B roads plus motorways.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back