Van Modification Success: Goodbye Blind Spot Mirrors (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
By far the best mod that we’ve added to our van so far.
I can’t take all the credit for this one, most of it goes to Motorhome Retrofits who I’ve been working with for months to bring this to fruition.
I couldn’t be happier with the outcome and am so pleased to finally bid farewell to the blind spot causing mirrors.
There will be a full YouTube video released on the whole process in the coming weeks and I will post more detail in the future but I just couldn’t wait to share this one.

IMG_1196.jpeg
IMG_1195.jpeg

OP
OP
Rob Turner
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
looks good, looking forward to the review, I’ve got a damaged mirror but I’m not brave/rich enough to use cameras👍

Let me know which bin you throw the old mirrors in🤣🤣🤣🤣
I have already sold the n/s but still have the o/s available for sale if it’s any use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
By far the best mod that we’ve added to our van so far.
I can’t take all the credit for this one, most of it goes to Motorhome Retrofits who I’ve been working with for months to bring this to fruition.
I couldn’t be happier with the outcome and am so pleased to finally bid farewell to the blind spot causing mirrors.
There will be a full YouTube video released on the whole process in the coming weeks and I will post more detail in the future but I just couldn’t wait to share this one.

View attachment 933723View attachment 933724
I am glad that you are pleased with them Rob. (y)

I drove a Mercedes Actros with cameras instead of mirrors, and found it to be awful, especially when the sun was behind me causing glare in the cameras. A tiny condensation spot on the O/S camera, manifested itself as a huge blur on the monitor. Gordon Bennett. :doh:
Also, when driving at night, it was extremely hard to see the kerb and double yellow lines illuminated from the orange trailer marker lights, which in the mirrors would have been very evident indeed. Also, when reversing on to a loading bay with floodlight illumination, it was almost impossible to gauge when your trailer was reaching the load bay............as you couldn't see it in the monitors.

Not for me I'm afraid, and having spoken to drivers of the latest DAFs with cameras instead of mirrors, they all say that they are worse than the Mercs. :Eeek: Some of the other drivers refused to drive the company's Mercs, and when 2 x Actros trucks were stuck in London due to camera failure, Merc's answer was to attend, remove the cameras, fit mirrors, and blame the failure of the cameras on collision damage...............despite no damage to the cameras in any shape or form. 🤷‍♂️

Give me mirrors anytime. (y)

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Rob Turner
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
I am glad that you are pleased with them Rob. (y)

I drove a Mercedes Actros with cameras instead of mirrors, and found it to be awful, especially when the sun was behind me causing glare in the cameras. A tiny condensation spot on the O/S camera, manifested itself as a huge blur on the monitor. Gordon Bennett. :doh:
Also, when driving at night, it was extremely hard to see the kerb and double yellow lines illuminated from the orange trailer marker lights, which in the mirrors would have been very evident indeed. Also, when reversing on to a loading bay with floodlight illumination, it was almost impossible to gauge when your trailer was reaching the load bay............as you couldn't see it in the monitors.

Not for me I'm afraid, and having spoken to drivers of the latest DAFs with cameras instead of mirrors, they all say that they are worse than the Mercs. :Eeek: Some of the other drivers refused to drive the company's Mercs, and when 2 x Actros trucks were stuck in London due to camera failure, Merc's answer was to attend, remove the cameras, fit mirrors, and blame the failure of the cameras on collision damage...............despite no damage to the cameras in any shape or form. 🤷‍♂️

Give me mirrors anytime. (y)

Thanks for the reply Jock 👍👍

All you mention was addressed in the R & D over the last 12 months and should be sorted. I didn’t just buy a couple of cameras and monitors off Scamazon and stick them on. Myself and the installer have spent an awful lot of time to try and make sure this works out to be the best it can be.

The glare from lights, the rain/condensation on the lens, the spray, the icy mornings, the distance, it has all been sorted.

The original Actros cameras and also the Daf offering were crap to say the least.

Volvo have been late to the party and they have sorted all the previous issues with the new Aero.

I have only driven for 2 hours and am very impressed if I’m honest.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Bit rude, I’m not saying what it cost me to sort but it will be a service that is offered by Motorhome Retrofits shortly.

Sorry, but don’t see it as rude when you post on a public forum saying how good it is 🤔

Everything is good up to a point financially, 10 years ago I reckoned everything cost me £5K, so with inflation I guess £8K which I consider a fair price

OP
OP
Rob Turner
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Sorry, but don’t see it as rude when you post on a public forum saying how good it is 🤔

Everything is good up to a point financially, 10 years ago I reckoned everything cost me £5K, so with inflation I guess £8K which I consider a fair price
I would think less than £4k fitted. This was a figure that we spoke about today but nothing confirmed yet.

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I didn’t just buy a couple of cameras and monitors off Scamazon and stick them on.
I'm sure you didn't, nor do I suspect did Mercedes or DAF, whom you'd think would get it right from the start.

The glare from lights, the rain/condensation on the lens, the spray, the icy mornings, the distance, it has all been sorted.
(y)

The original Actros cameras and also the Daf offering were crap to say the least.
You are not wrong there Rob, but you'd think they'd get it right from the start. ;)

Volvo have been late to the party and they have sorted all the previous issues with the new Aero.
I look forward to that experience. (y)

I have only driven for 2 hours and am very impressed if I’m honest.
Excellent stuff. (y)

Cheers,

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I would think less than £4k fitted. This was a figure that we spoke about today but nothing confirmed yet.
Shudda walked in holding a go pro telling them you were a you tuber, you might have got em for nowt🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
One you cheesy youtuber has just had a full 360 system given and fitted for nowt, just requiring a review on it😉😁😁😁

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It does look like a really tidy installation, looking forward to more information, re cost the last time I looked at the Morelo price list for these it was around €10k and they didn't even give you the long arm mirrors they weren't using:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Rob Turner
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
It does look like a really tidy installation, looking forward to more information, re cost the last time I looked at the Morelo price list for these it was around €10k and they didn't even give you the long arm mirrors they weren't using:rolleyes:
The attention to detail is amazing. I would definitely recommend James at Motorhome Retrofits.

I have secured a discount with them also but just need to sort the code etc.

OP
OP
Rob Turner
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Shudda walked in holding a go pro telling them you were a you tuber, you might have got em for nowt🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
One you cheesy youtuber has just had a full 360 system given and fitted for nowt, just requiring a review on it😉😁😁😁
That doesn’t surprise me with the YT brigade 🙄
There are a few 360° camera systems out there but nothing like the one that Motorhome Retrofits supply.
It is totally bespoke and designed in house with 1Tb of storage.

A lot of kits on the market are just off the shelf and adapted to fit. I’m not putting them down but they just aren’t in the same league.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
That doesn’t surprise me with the YT brigade 🙄
There are a few 360° camera systems out there but nothing like the one that Motorhome Retrofits supply.
It is totally bespoke and designed in house with 1Tb of storage.

A lot of kits on the market are just off the shelf and adapted to fit. I’m not putting them down but they just aren’t in the same league.
It’s good to see a company that excels in the products they fit, such as Vanbitz, Offgrid power solutions, SAP, etc all have a very good name and folk will travel miles to use them.
For you Rob, only time will tell👍

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd like something like this on our MH as the mirrors really cause big blind spots and get in the way of seeing the scenery as they are bus type mounted at the top, I wish they'd fitted the ones earlier Carthagos had which were bottom mounted on the 'wing'.

OP
OP
Rob Turner
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
It’s good to see a company that excels in the products they fit, or Vanbitz, Offgrid power solutions, SAP, etc all have a very good name and folk will travel miles to use them.
For you Rob, only time will tell👍
The work that they turn out is top notch, they aren’t cheap but quality isn’t.
Attention to detail is meticulous.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not for me, I sell mirror protectors.😂😂😂
Better get into selling camera ones then! I'll just take 10% commission on sales as payment for my obvious money making suggestion! 😄

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I've always wondered if these also record and are connected to wifi, so all the journeys are stored on a server, somewhere?

OP
OP
Rob Turner
May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
I've always wondered if these also record and are connected to wifi, so all the journeys are stored on a server, somewhere?
These do record to a storage card.
There isn’t an option for WiFi as yet but this is being looked at along with a hard drive for extended storage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back