Upgrading to lithium advice please.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
As I said I would take anything they say with a large pinch of salt.
I have a 230AH LifePo4 with a 200 amp BMS and a 2,000 watt inverter.
I have seen the inverter drawing a continuous 184 amps so a 150 amp BMS would not supply enough power.
In one paragraph on their site they say there is no need to change chargers as lead acid chargers work fine with their batteries.
Yet another paragraph says if you want to get the best out of your battery fit "lithium specific chargers".
Also there is no mention that some lead acid chargers have a desulfation stage, which is a voltage their batteries definitely won't like.
I would not push a BMS to its full rating for to long. A max 70% load for long periods are plenty. The mosfets inside can get very hot, and most bms'es are set stupidly high as 100-110C for mosfet protection. I change all my settings and mosfets set at 80C. If mosfets fail, they will fail closed, meaning all the amps are free to flow, close to short circuit current. In that instance, you will need a high rupture over current device like classT or NH or a DC breaker to open- extinguish a 7-8ka arc.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Unless you are in Galicia today, coz it's pi**ing down as we speak and will be all day apparently. Solar panel is giving 17W...
Barrie we are wise to the weather differences in Spain....that's why, although our apartment is in Murcia we Spend the summer mainly in Galicia...half the Murcian temperature...
However we generally leave mid September as the seasons change and instability takes over...Now we are in Aragon Bajo...it's clear blue sky and 23^c...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
I would not push a BMS to its full rating for to long. A max 70% load for long periods are plenty. The mosfets inside can get very hot, and most bms'es are set stupidly high as 100-110C for mosfet protection. I change all my settings and mosfets set at 80C. If mosfets fail, they will fail closed, meaning all the amps are free to flow, close to short circuit current. In that instance, you will need a high rupture over current device like classT or NH or a DC breaker to open- extinguish a 7-8ka arc.
I don't run my 2,000 watt inverter at full power, normally no more than 1,500 watts about 145amps so about 75% but when I first had it I did once push it just to see.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back