Sue

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Very depressing..
We are thinking of selling our IH Motorhome… it’s simply time to move on, but we have been told that, although prices went up after covid, they are now dropping like a stone. The market is weak because the future is so uncertain
What does everyone think? Is this your experience?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
We sold ours 3 weeks ago, it was on sale for 5 months, with Motorhome Depot, in the end we finished the contract and sold privately.

We got 4k less than we were hoping and 9k less than MD advised us. My thoughts are that for sure the market value has dropped, from what was an inflated level.

We registered interest in a new one, back in April, we had limited follow up calls until recently, we are now been contacted regularly, but don’t seem keen to offer much of a discount on a Hymer or Carthago, but happy to do so on such as Eldis, Benimar, swift, etc.
I tried to sell ours through MD. Assuming you're asking a fair market price. The trouble with MD is they want to make at least a couple of thousand commission. So either you have to drop £2k or expect someone to effectively pay £2k more .I also ended my contract and sold it privately. We were fortunate to get very near asking price.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
mclouis 373 2022
Exp
New to it but have been caravaning for 38years
Very depressing..
We are thinking of selling our IH Motorhome… it’s simply time to move on, but we have been told that, although prices went up after covid, they are now dropping like a stone. The market is weak because the future is so uncertain
What does everyone think? Is this your experience?
Reading your post I understand what you mean, but dealers still want to make top money I can’t understand how a 24 model m/ home I looked at was not selling with £7000 off but the salesman was saying the 2025 model is £10000 more than that ,if they can’t sell the 24 model who’s going to buy the 25 model.😊😊

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Reading your post I understand what you mean, but dealers still want to make top money I can’t understand how a 24 model m/ home I looked at was not selling with £7000 off but the salesman was saying the 2025 model is £10000 more than that ,if they can’t sell the 24 model who’s going to buy the 25 model.😊😊
The market will set the price because the dealers can't wait forever!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Whether buying vehicles or property the only thing that matters is the cost of change. Unless you sell when the market is high and stay out of the market until prices drop you have to accept that the price of the asset you intend to trade in is going to match the price of that which you wish to buy.
A drop means there’s some bargains out there and some hungry sellers. Go find out what you can negotiate

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
I sold my B544 for £10k less than I bought it 7 years ago, I thought that was fair. I bought a newer B534 for £75k 2017, thinking I have matbe paid a bit over the odds, I see a similar (2017) B534 for sale at Travelworld for £95k !! (okay a few differences but even allowing for £10k) thats a BIG difference.
But I think it depends where you live/buy/sell, I live in the Highlands and things tend to be a bit more expensive up here.
I now think my £75k was okay. So you pays yer money......

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
I sold my B544 for £10k less than I bought it 7 years ago,.........So you pays yer money......
I think the big thing between 2017 and 2024 is the huge price increases in 2021 onwards (I still read the odd post on a MH FB site where someone moans about not getting what they thought they'd get for their 2019 van...bought at say £52k and they 'only got £50k'...They had been watching the mad prices of covid years and presumed they would stay.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago liner for
Exp
15 years
The big big thing about today's oil powered motorhomes is that in ten years time they are all going to be worthless.
They can't do anything but go down to scrap price.
WOW...what a statement. Maybe we need to let Iveco, Volvo, Scania, Mercedes Benz, Man, Daf, who are just some of the major truck manufacturers know this is happening so they can stop making all those big lorries that carry all our food and supplies around the world...pretty sure they're all diesel ehh ? Will they all be scrap in ten years too ?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
WOW...what a statement. Maybe we need to let Iveco, Volvo, Scania, Mercedes Benz, Man, Daf, who are just some of the major truck manufacturers know this is happening so they can stop making all those big lorries that carry all our food and supplies around the world...pretty sure they're all diesel ehh ? Will they all be scrap in ten years too ?
Probably yes , they won't be allowed in towns at the least.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
Probably yes , they won't be allowed in towns at the least.
There'll still be diesel vans and lorries in 25 yrs time.....hopefully they will ban them from towns and cities (but you just know it will be a kneejerk reaction before they put proper plans in place for onward transport of the goods needed for day to day life....and public transport)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There'll still be diesel vans and lorries in 25 yrs time.....hopefully they will ban them from towns and cities (but you just know it will be a kneejerk reaction before they put proper plans in place for onward transport of the goods needed for day to day life....and public transport)
Electric buses are everywhere now, it's only a matter of time before we get electric or at least hydrogen trucks.
Oil is finished, I'm not saying it's good or that I like it ,it's just a plain fact.
My old ford ranger and the ambulance will see me out but there's no doubting when I have done with them they will be scrap.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
It is...but it will be a slow decline and our motorhomes won't be worthless in 10 yrs time...which was your original headline statement.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It is...but it will be a slow decline and our motorhomes won't be worthless in 10 yrs time...which was your original headline statement.
Just hope I'm still here to prove you wrong.
Id even go as far as 5 years before we are banned out of towns, we are getting there now.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
I think the tipping point is going to arrive fairly suddenly. We're selling our newer diesel car as I think the prices are likely to slip.
SMMT have said that registrations of new diesel cars are up 17.2% on the same month last year. EV sales are on the wane unless you are a company car driver.

As soon as there is a majority of electric vehicles oil will be dead.

It is unlikely to happen very soon. Oil rich countries will see to that. Also too many HGV's and other commercial vehicles rely heavily on diesel.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
Just hope I'm still here to prove you wrong.
Id even go as far as 5 years before we are banned out of towns, we are getting there now.
What an odd thing to hope for.....for me and no doubt every other member of the forum to have a worthless vehicle....
That'll be many years from now...many more than 10

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What an odd thing to hope for.....for me and no doubt every other member of the forum to have a worthless vehicle....

That'll be many years from now...many more than 10
Just meant I hope I am still alive, we have about 50 oil powered vehicles here , no wish to scrap any of them.
But it's just a fact of the modern green world.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I tried to sell ours through MD. Assuming you're asking a fair market price. The trouble with MD is they want to make at least a couple of thousand commission. So either you have to drop £2k or expect someone to effectively pay £2k more .I also ended my contract and sold it privately. We were fortunate to get very near asking price.
I don't see anything to grumble about. It depends upon how realistic was your expectation on price. Two grand isn't excessive as dealers have to make a living and they cover a sector of the market for owners who don't want the hassle of time wasters or the financial or security risks by selling privately. At least there's a choice of selling methods.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sun Living S70 SC
I might be way off track here but I do remember all the doom and gloom and people forecasting the end when unleaded was phased out ( have I got that right?) nevertheless engineers’ ingenuity prevailed. I had a motorbike altered and pretty sure one of my cars as well.
Whilst they might phase out production of ICE cars I really can’t see it being a cliff edge.
They might try to interfere with pricing in respect of petrol and diesel but surely those of us with worthless cars will look at the economics of still running the diesel powered motorhome as opposed to lashing out for a new electric one.
One thing intrigues me, the Western world has always been highly dependent on oil but the majority of the reserves are in OPEC countries so they hold the West to ransom.
Could this be one of the levers to move to electric and hydrogen fuel cells?
I love a good conspiracy theory and I’m sitting here doing bugger all!
The other point is that I really don’t care what my motorhome will be worth in 10 years time I’m more concerned with the immediate problems, will my air bag light come on, will my emission system go t..ts up immediately after my warranty expires?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We recently got offered a good price for ours through We Buy Motorcaravans. mainly five star reviews on TrustPilot, very easy and pleasant to deal with

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Maybe in the Uk but elsewhere?
SMMT have said that registrations of new diesel cars are up 17.2% on the same month last year. EV sales are on the wane unless you are a company car driver.

In the U.S. 33% of all new car buyers are "underwater" **
For new electric vehicle buyers 46% are underwater.

** underwater = in negative equity
as of a report 2 nights ago

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Newbie - bought first MH 11/03/2023
The big big thing about today's oil powered motorhomes is that in ten years time they are all going to be worthless.
They can't do anything but go down to scrap price.
You will still be able to drive, buy and sell diesel vehicles after 2035 - if that date stays which looks unlikely - so your diesel MH might well go up in value.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
VW and BMW are in big financial trouble due to them gambling on EV car sales. The uptake has been very slow, and competition from China is also hurting them. Until the infrastructure is in place nationwide to support EV vehicles here in the UK, sales will grow slowly, with plug-in and self-charging hybrid petrol cars stealing the sales from them. I for one would not swap my current (sic) hybrid Toyota for any EV on the market.

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back