Thinking of Selling, but told prices are dropping like a stone (153 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Very depressing..
We are thinking of selling our IH Motorhome… it’s simply time to move on, but we have been told that, although prices went up after covid, they are now dropping like a stone. The market is weak because the future is so uncertain
What does everyone think? Is this your experience?

Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Another factor for the longer run is the demographic of people using motorhomes.
I get the feeling it's mostly retired people, perhaps who have downsized the house and have a significant chunk of cash available for pleasure.
There may well be a significant number of this demographic still around but its a diminishing part of the population and that may be playing into it.
Actually we have found there is an ever growing section of society... young people who cannot afford the crazy prices and rents of bricks and mortar who are seeing Motorhomes as an affordable way of living..

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Chausson S697
We were offered a price well below what I expected from Motorhome depot. They said MHs are not selling unless the price is very realistic ( by which he meant at least 10k less than last year… at least!)
OK, so was your expectation based on looking at recent sales ads or what you feel the van is worth ? I suppose everything will sell...it is merely dependent on what someone is prepared to pay for it and what the seller is prepared to accept.
Personally...I'd be looking at what I'd paid for it...the years of use (and nights in it each year) and deciding whether the offer was actually OK. The whole vehicle market, cars and motorbikes as well as MHs is skewed at the moment....I suppose it has been since Covid and people don't like the prospect of getting less than they could have done 12 mths ago ?
Advertise it on here. It may sell ?

Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
If they want a 10k mark up, then surely selling it for say8k less privately is the best way to go?
We sold our Hymer about 18 months ago quickly though the brokers: motorhome Depot. We received more for it than I had dropped it to advertising it here. Give them a call. They will need about £3k commission, not £10k

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Well in that case you may get less than you might have got if you had sold it 1 or 2 years ago but not less than if you'd sold it in 2019 (relatively). Certainly nothing to be depressed about.

Of course there will be options in 5 years. Diesels are not banned for another 11 years. Even if manufacturers slow down production you'll still be able to buy them in 5 years time. Even if they did all disappear in the next 5 years you'd still be able to buy used. A well looked after diesel will last for 30 years or more.
I think diesels will be available for years and in a motorhome doing relatively few miles a year even if the cost of diesel doubles it's still going to be a viable alternative. The only thing certain is that the landscape of what's practical and cost effective in decade is going to be different to now

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Actually we have found there is an ever growing section of society... young people who cannot afford the crazy prices and rents of bricks and mortar who are seeing Motorhomes as an affordable way of living..
Now if I owned a large piece of land slated for development near a station with access into the centre of a large city it would do very nicely as a temporary M/H parking area.

The main problem with living in a motorhome and holding down a full time job is where you park it.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2015
Camberley
Funster No
MH
Pilote V630J Premier
Exp
Since 2013
The big big thing about today's oil powered motorhomes is that in ten years time they are all going to be worthless.
They can't do anything but go down to scrap price.
not sure I agree there are secondhand electric cars costing £35000 going at dealers for £12000 ?
petrol cars still holding up. they will be making diesel motorhomes for many years yet, if and when they ban diesel
new motorhomes it want be before 2050 and then the will be proberly be hydrogen ! if then.
nobody is going to buy a 10 year old electric motorhome but people will still buy a 10 year old diesel one
don't forget from 2025 electric vehicle will have to pay road tax, it may be low now but will soon be as much as you
pay now. also nobody will be eligible to drive a electric motorhome because of the weight issue unless they hold a
C or C1 licence. have you seen how many over 3.5 ton motorhomes are for sale and now reduced prices
C or C1 divers are getting les and les every year and nothing yet about changing the license groups !
for me I cannot see any future for electric motorhomes so I am not afraid of buying a new motorhome in the future
not seen a charging point for one yet

Upvote 0
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
I should think that the death of diesel will come about not because they are banned totally but because of the steady reduction of the zones in which they can enter....this in turn will lead to a reduction in volume and this in turn will lead to a reduction in the availability of diesel at the road side. 'Petrol' stations will slowly begin to reduce in number and in what they supply for 'normal' road traffic. Heavy plant and transport will have their own bulk supplies as their area of operation is known and planned unlike the freewheeling car or MH driver.......setting off to cross Europe will become a case of jumping from one reported fuel station to another with distances and closures ever growing.......a bit like todays electric charging points but in reverse......petrol (which will die out) and diesel will become niche forms of propulsion slowly giving way to electric and hydrogen conversions, either into older vehicles' or as new fits as the tech progress's. Restrictive zoning isn't sufficiently large as yet to spur on the conversion industry but it will come in time and as such used MH with replaceable diesels will maintain a value but its level will depend upon the availability and cost of the conversions........
Production of diesel and petrol (this especially) will reduce as demand falls which will become circular and lead to increased cost and reduced availability, a scenario that will also feed into the circular reduction....... the production of diesel might well become a cottage industry with enthusiasts making their own from heavier oils........or resorting to the use of vegetable oils of one form or another. None of this being illegal as fuel tax will soon disapear as reducing fuel consumption continually lowers the tax take and so tax will be 'pay per mile' based on vehicle classification and taken in the early days by the odometer miles covered between each MOT, later to be replaced by embedded chip built into the vehicle link to gps and external road side monitors......dawning the end for speeding and other motor enabled events.............

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
A full list of assumptions and guesses.
An awful lot can change over the next eleven years, when new ICE cars can, under current rules, not be sold

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
A full list of assumptions and guesses.
An awful lot can change over the next eleven years, when new ICE cars can, under current rules, not be sold

What is the latest on this? It was 2030 (and 2035 for hybrids), then the previous government made it 2035, then the new govt said they would move it back to 2030, then...

As far as I can tell grand policies are announced, they come into contact with reality and they're pushed out. Or cancelled. Or changed. (Ref: HS2)
Much to the chagrin of manufacturers who have to plan major product development and production lines against a fickle political backdrop.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back