The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B ARTO 64L
Exp
Since 2012
Yours being fiat though could be completely different to mine. Mine has a truck chassis and it's all torsion beam suspension etc . The fiat is very different.
It's the alko chassis on mine and torsion suspension on that (well it looks like that,but what do I know😅) it has the grease nipple's on each end ,will get the back end lifted off ground and greased up today.
Just off to garage now.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
It's the alko chassis on mine and torsion suspension on that (well it looks like that,but what do I know😅) it has the grease nipple's on each end ,will get the back end lifted off ground and greased up today.
Just off to garage now.
Aye on the rear.

Mine has torsion beam on the front and leaf springs on rear

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I always got around 20 - 22 mpg in my bigger vans (3.0L Iveco engines) so sounds about right Tam
I've no checked it properly yet . Really need to take a note of how many litres I put in and then do it at the same point again . I never let it get lower than the quarter mark on guage as never that accurate . And if the fuel price is high like the one yesterday I don't fill it I just put enough in till I get a cheaper station

I've had it at £1.31 a litre this week and £1.39

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Tam I make 600 kms to be around 375 miles ( 600\ 8*5) and 90 ltrs be around 20 gallons,

So around 18.75 mpg 😳
Aye I realised I've mucked that up lol.

I've not really checked mine properly. Not sure i want to lol.

When it gets to quarter full I put more in . Not sure exactly how many miles I've done since left Just smiffy either

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Right not the best way to figure it out but according to my polarsteps I've done 601 miles since I left garrys ( not convinced thats correct) . And from looking at my bank statement I've put in £185 of diesel.

So if I divide £185 by average £1.35 per litre

Screenshot_20241021_084226_Calculator.jpg

Which is roughly 137 litres

So 600 miles divided by 137 litres, then multiplied by 4.556 to get the gallon gives me

Screenshot_20241021_084207_Calculator.jpg

Is that right?
I will try and remember to take note of mileage the next time I fill up

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Don't really notice any difference garry to be honest. Apart from that vibration on front left it was always smooth
Have you tried swapping the front wheels side to side ?
That would show whether it's a tyre or rim problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Right not the best way to figure it out but according to my polarsteps I've done 601 miles since I left garrys ( not convinced thats correct) . And from looking at my bank statement I've put in £185 of diesel.

So if I divide £185 by average £1.35 per litre

View attachment 968218

Which is roughly 137 litres

So 600 miles divided by 137 litres, then multiplied by 4.556 to get the gallon gives me

View attachment 968219

Is that right?
I will try and remember to take note of mileage the next time I fill up
For rough mileage from Garry's, it should be on your MOT. 🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Tam Polarsteps is never correct as it does straight line distance

We have always bought a small notebook and written down every time we fill the price, trip miles, total miles and where we bought it, plus the price. We have done that with every car and every motorhome we have ever had. And we quite often when we sell the vehicle pass on our little notebook and start a new one with the next vehicle.

So when you’re waiting at a few station and somebody in front of you is writing in their book, you know why.

Carol

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Have you tried swapping the front wheels side to side ?
That would show whether it's a tyre or rim problem.
Chances are that's already happened. It's got different front wheels from what it had when I bought it. And then different tyres fitted on those wheels later. Still does it. I don't think it's the wheel or the disc. Its a suspension or steering component. But I can't feel any play side to side or up and down from the wheel. The steering wheel has sat at 11 o'clock rather than 12 since I bought it and if I let the wheel go it drifts to the left. But no sign of uneven wear on tyres etc either. On some road surfaces it does feel like the tyre is bouncing up and down so it may well be a weak shock on that side.

It's hard to pinpoint . Just smiffy couldn't feel it on the passenger side but he also couldn't drive it so hard to get a second opinion.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
For rough mileage from Garry's, it should be on your MOT. 🤔
It's been out and about a lot since that was done. Mot was done in Wales.

Polar steps is the most accurate or my note on brake pad and service etc which was 52555km and now on 53734km

Which is roughly 732 miles I think

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Have you eliminated worn/perished engine mounts or maybe a CV joint?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Tam Polarsteps is never correct as it does straight line distance

We have always bought a small notebook and written down every time we fill the price, trip miles, total miles and where we bought it, plus the price. We have done that with every car and every motorhome we have ever had. And we quite often when we sell the vehicle pass on our little notebook and start a new one with the next vehicle.

So when you’re waiting at a few station and somebody in front of you is writing in their book, you know why.

Carol
I used to do all that but don't bother much now. I think my first few long trips I posted our departure mileage etc and updated it daily and all fuel and lpg costs etc. But you forget sometimes or it becomes excessive .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Have you eliminated worn/perished engine mounts or maybe a CV joint?
Not an engine mount it's definitely suspension or steering.

No cv joints on this as its rear wheel drive. My guess is a track rod end, tiebar or the shock . But the components on this vehicle are bigger than your average van and as such it is hard to find any play just checking by hand ..

By rights a thorough mot should have picked up something but sadly unless a shock absorber has signs of leaking they generally don't pick it up.

Gas shocks are almost impossible to detect bar the drive of the vehicle.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Adams Morey know what they’re doing so maybe try them for a diagnosis when you are Lenny’s

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not an engine mount it's definitely suspension or steering.

No cv joints on this as its rear wheel drive. My guess is a track rod end, tiebar or the shock . But the components on this vehicle are bigger than your average van and as such it is hard to find any play just checking by hand ..

By rights a thorough mot should have picked up something but sadly unless a shock absorber has signs of leaking they generally don't pick it up.

Gas shocks are almost impossible to detect bar the drive of the vehicle.
If I remember right, the MOT this van had wouldn't have found anything.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Just had a text from the guy doing the remap , it's now being done Tuesday morning at lennys . That way the adapter I've ordered should have definitely arrived. I'm gonna arrive at lennys on Thursday as I've my optician appointment on Friday. Weather dependent I'll have another look at the drivers front then see if anything has become obvious.

If I get confirmation from the seller on ebay that the Monroe shocks on there are correct fitment for my van I'm going to buy a set anyway .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
If I remember right, the MOT this van had wouldn't have found anything.
That's why I said a thorough mot.

Thanks to that muppet in Wales I now have a brake warning light on too which would fail an mot.

If its the brake sensors I have to bypass and disconnect them now. Typical iveco issue again but no light before he touched it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back