The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (77 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
berni109
Under normal conditions when the engine is not running the CBE unit is fed from the leisure batts, however when the engine is running power is sent from cab battery/alternator to the CBE post B1 to charge the leisure batts, run fridge etc from post B2.
With a B2B fitted the Leisure batts will be charged directly from the Cab Bat/Alternator to the leisure Batts,but not via the CBE unit which will be isolated with the new normally closed relay opening when the engine is running
The Hab electrics/Fridge will be powered when the van engine is running from the leisure batts and not the cab batt/alternator as the original feed will be disconnected replaced by the relay fed from the normally open contact from the leisure batts.
I hope that makes sense, its as the wiring diagram shows if you look at how the NO/NC relay contacts are wired.
LES

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
TinaLes yes so the as the off-grid solution shows some of the amps being pushed into the hab battery by the B2B is instantly being sucked straight back out to power the fridge when driving. (Simplistically)
Whereas effectively cutting the charge wire (with a relay) after the hab electronic controller puts all the B2B output into the battery and the fridge and any other 12v consumers stay exactly as they are.
Perhaps using the KIS* principal is just to simplistic and I am missing a fundamental point.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
berni109
Under normal conditions when the engine is not running the CBE unit is fed from the leisure batts, however when the engine is running power is sent from cab battery/alternator to the CBE post B1 to charge the leisure batts, run fridge etc from post B2.
With a B2B fitted the Leisure batts will be charged directly from the Cab Bat/Alternator to the leisure Batts,but not via the CBE unit which will be isolated with the new normally closed relay opening when the engine is running
The Hab electrics/Fridge will be powered when the van engine is running from the leisure batts and not the cab batt/alternator as the original feed will be disconnected replaced by the relay fed from the normally open contact from the leisure batts.
I hope that makes sense, its as the wiring diagram shows if you look at how the NO/NC relay contacts are wired.
LES
TinaLes yes so the as the off-grid solution shows some of the amps being pushed into the hab battery by the B2B is instantly being sucked straight back out to power the fridge when driving. (Simplistically)
Whereas effectively cutting the charge wire (with a relay) after the hab electronic controller puts all the B2B output into the battery and the fridge and any other 12v consumers stay exactly as they are.
Perhaps using the KIS* principal is just to simplistic and I am missing a fundamental point.
Sorry I'm not electrically savvy enough to know all the ins and outs . I just know there are problems if I completely remove the old cable from starter battery to the cbe unit and this normally closed relay seems to be the most popular way to get around it.

Your way might also work berni109 but I'd already ordered the relay to do the job so I'm just going with that method as I now have it clear in my mind how to do it. We have the relay all prepped to go in place now but rain has started so will leave it now till tomorrow. Also had to order another mega fuse holder as I'd originally planned to reuse the one running the original wire to cbe unit and I now don't have enough of them as I've got fuses either end of b2b cables and on solar cables etc.

But solar is now all reconnected properly through a double pole switch and fused etc. I'm now back on inside jobs as weathers naff. I'm wiring in the new reverse camera and a further USB point now .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
20240923_152659_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240923_152654_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240923_131651_copy_1209x1612.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Could have done without that last photo. 😩
That's what I've to witness several times a day lol ....so I thought I'd let you lot enjoy it too.

Garry let me walk around Wales with a big hole in the arse of me jeans the other day and never told me till afterwards so that's my revenge lol

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well I've had a productive afternoon feeding all the cable for the replacement reverse camera. . Sods law that the 10 metre cable wasn't enough so I had to put an extension on and it was a further 10 metres so I've now loads of spare I'll have to lose somewhere. But its now fed from front to back where the old cables ran . Can't fit the actual camera at present due to weather but that'll not take long .

And in the process of doing that I obviously moved a wire or something above the bedroom cupboards as my bedroom lights that I couldn't get to work before are now working ...which is perfect.

Power hungry blighters right enough but they'd only ever be on for a short time ...if I had company 😜😜 ..

Look nice though and now everything works 💪 was annoying me those not working as i knew I'd seen them on when I viewed it. But they weren't as bright as they are now
20240923_175554_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240923_175550_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Tam, From the photos I assume that the red cable in the black sheathing to the battery is the one that connects to the hab electronic controller. Is the other end of it attached to the big nut bottom right of the rats nest of wires?
Roughly what size is that cable?
You can use the relay you have on that wire. Just in a slightly different way.
If y'd like to tell me to f'k off and leave you alone just say and i will.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Well I've had a productive afternoon feeding all the cable for the replacement reverse camera. . Sods law that the 10 metre cable wasn't enough so I had to put an extension on and it was a further 10 metres so I've now loads of spare I'll have to lose somewhere. But its now fed from front to back where the old cables ran . Can't fit the actual camera at present due to weather but that'll not take long .

And in the process of doing that I obviously moved a wire or something above the bedroom cupboards as my bedroom lights that I couldn't get to work before are now working ...which is perfect.

Power hungry blighters right enough but they'd only ever be on for a short time ...if I had company 😜😜 ..

Look nice though and now everything works 💪 was annoying me those not working as i knew I'd seen them on when I viewed it. But they weren't as bright as they are now
View attachment 954358View attachment 954359
Red Light District, I presume...

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25yrs in Motorhomes and Caravans before that
I know I'm a bit late to the party but when I fitted the NC relay like yours with my Votronic 30A B2B in my 2004 Euramobil 810, I found that all the hab electrics went off when I started the engine, so it was either snip the diode in the CBE box OR leave B2B and split charge in place together...

I went for the latter and haven't had any problems...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back